Il Castello Reviews

Via Porta di Castello 4 Bologna, Bologna, Italy

The hostel was one of the nicest places I stayed on my tour of Italy.. however, the experience was brought down by the lack of help. The map isn't very helpful and I was talked at like I knew the city, but I didn't. I received no suggestions on what I should put on my priority list to see when in Bologna.. like other hostels do. I arrived at breakfast and was asked 'did you want something?' instead of take a seat.

The hostel is quite nice, provided you don't have noisy people staying next door. But it took us ages to find the place and after being on a train for 8 hours we only had half an hour to get there and check in as they stop at 7. It was so hard to find, would be easier if they emailed you a map or gave clear instructions of how to find the place. But staff were friendly enough, breakfast was included, it was small but saved buying something. And it's very in the centre so location is good.

I stayed for two nights, first night everything was perfect, It was not until second night, when two american checked in the room next to us. Then me and another buddy in our room notice that the "wall" between the two room was in fact not a wall, but the two room was only divided by a layer of wardrobe, leaving a huge gap between the top of the wardrobe and the ceiling. That would have been fine, if the two american did not decide to sing, jump around, talk loudly 3 o'clock in the morning.

Perfect place to stay in Bologna. Great location, price, staff and facility. I would love to stay when I visit Bologna again.

• 6th Apr 2015
  • Japan

Thank you! We really appreciate your positive review and comment! Hope to see you again! -From the staffs of Castello.

The hostel is right in the heart of the city in a quiet street. You get what you need for the price, but nothing more. The rooms are clean, as are the bathrooms. There's only 1 shower, which can lead to issues in the morning. There's a small(!) breakfast. Staff tries to help, but is not always able too. So you better go to the tourist office for a proper map of the city and all your touristic questions. Would recommend if you need a bed in Bologna, not if you're searching for a good atmosphere.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Belgium

Ours is a structure and not a tourist information office. However we always try our best to satisfy every customer's request. In particular in its case when you came to us showing up with the map received from the tourist office asking us the information that obviously has not received in the office where youhad gone earlier!!!!!!!!!

Well located but not very clean.

The staff is very nice, rooms are recently renovated and have modern furniture. Only the walls are thin and you can hear the neighbors when they are loud. Also there are not many bathrooms, so it could be a problem when it is crowded. Ambient is nice and included breakfast is not bad.

Very good

• 19th Mar 2015
  • China

This place is hard to find - look for the Fashion Line. It's not really a hostel- more a hotel with a dorm rooms so there is room atmosphere. It was good for one night stopover. Location to main square and train/bus station is good. Bathrooms are good and clean.

Excellent place for staying at Bologna. The faciliies were nice, lot of travellers, I had a pretty good time at "Il Castello". The prices are good.

I loved the hostel. But I am not from the area, and having staff that know the area enough to tell you where to go is huge. The staff weren't helpful at all, and the map they give is terrible. So i was left to float around hoping the locals could direct me to places to eat, etc. Great place to stay, but need to work on people skills.

You are many and the staff can not stay there behind you my friend. If you need something you can go and ask them. Maybe you needed that the staff had also done as a tour guide so you remained glad !!!!!!!!!!!

to find the hostel is difficult,there is no name outside!!!!!

Very hard to find! They need to update their directions For sure. Good location. Breakfast included and nice facilities. a bit expensive. All in all a good hostel

This little hostel is located really close to the main square, and not too far from the station, which makes it a perfect starting point for any traveller who wants to see the city. Our double room was simple and small, invoquing the feeling of being one simple room transformed into a double one. But it had the needed things. The personal is friendly and willing to give you any information. The common area is really nice and the breaksfast was very good as well.

Everything was great the only thing i wasn't satisfied was the speed of the internet connection.

• 3rd Feb 2015
  • Turkey
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The staff was unfriendly and toilets weren't clean. The "breakfast" was just a coffee and a fruit and chocolate. So we were hungry when checked out.

• 28th Jan 2015
  • Finland

Everything was great, except the fact that my single room could be entered by person who lived next door and nobody from the staff told me about it. Room no 1 and 2 are not separated rooms, but one room divided with furnitures; room 1 can be entered from room 2 by additional doors, which I told are some sort of closed...

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • Poland

Excelent location, cleaning and breakfast :)

Had to change my plans and cancelled my booking with more than 72 hrs notice. They claimed they never received my email, and that my cancellation wasn't valid––thus, they fully charged me despite my complaints. Further, I checked their page on the day I was due to stay there, and there were still spare rooms of the type I'd booked––proving that, regardless of my allegedly lost email, my booking would not have caused them any financial loss. Generally disrespectful communications from them.

Hello Mr. , you did not sent us any proof that you sent us the e-mail of cancellation before 1 day only of you arrival time. So we charged the room as af our cancellation rules, that requires at least 3 days before.

View all Bologna Bed and Breakfasts