In&basic Hostel Lounge Reviews

200 m South and 75 m west of Spoon, Los Yoses., San Jose, Costa Rica

Nice Owner which can give you lots of advice for onward travel, buying a sim card and so on ... No lockers but you can leave valuables at the reception. Good Wifi.

Was a ´pleasure to help you in so many ways; hope that you keep enjoying your adventures!

Hostel is in a good location, and safety is good externally, but there are no locks on the dorm doors. Surprisingly given the other reviews, the service was surely, and grudging. Only other flaw was a door that was jammed, so could only be opened with an almighty noise, not exactly great for a good nights sleep.

• 11th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

Here you have a really false review and comment: They stayed 1 night in a dorm; all dorm rooms doors works perfectly and they DO NOT need to be LOCK due we have under lock all main entrances to the house (day and night), and indeed in dorm rooms people happens to need free access to the room every time, and youre sharing with others so you have to endure others people noises, snorings, breathings and that's why everybody uses earplugs in dorm rooms.In terms of the service my surprise is absolutely due during your day stay (only a couple of hours due you left at 7:00 am) we even organise a shuttle service and breakfast to go; and you were leaving the country, not so much to help you with.. and above all I'm quite proud of my personal; funny that comment of yours happen to be once that I decided to leave for one night the hostel duties in somebody else's hands.(really good person, excellent english). So far you're the only one that's been complaining about a ultra quiet place, when if you read others reviews you will understand that we are a quiet, no parties, no noises hostel. Sorry that you didn't like us; but there is others guests that absolutely returned several times even.. please be honest next time...that's only shenanigans: Paula Owner

This hostel was amazingly clean, and had such a homey environment. It's the perfect place to start your time in Costa Rica and even a better place to escape to a quiet place to end your vacation. The staff were very friendly and helpful. If I were to go back to San Jose, I would definitely stay here again.

Thanks a lot for your kind words and comment! Hope to see you again! Paula

A lovely homely hostel with super friendly and helpful staff. This hostel made me want to stay longer in San Jose!

Most welcome!!! Thanks for your kind words!!!

The staff was wonderful! Paula was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Everything worked well and was about what you expect from a hostel. Breakfast in the morning was nice. The big downside is the location. It is accessible by public bus and about a 10 minute walk, but the convenience of this depends on where you enter San Jose. There isn't much going on in this neighborhood.

Thanks for your words in terms of myself; however I wonder how and why a person that only stayed ONE night (since 16:00 hours -when almost everything is closed- can actually ensure to other fellow travelers about the location and what to do, specially if you're during half a day of 30.12. 2015 (really short overnight!, during Holidays) when everything in San Jose is absolutely crowded, or in San Pedro which is the COLLEGE'S district and all bars are super FULL due is universities period OFF (Christmas Holidays)..Is a LOT to do here; maybe not the kind of activities that you like. All the best! XO Paula

The hostel is clean and very organized, but is not for parties.

No we are not a party hostel is quite clear explained and writen! Especially during the new years eve! Hope that you had a great year! XO Paula

It was okay. Strict rules and u couldnt go out by yourself, because u need someone to open the door.

Dear Customers if you're planning to overnight during New Year's eve; please never book a plane at 300 am and expect us to be with the door wide open; or services like supermarkets, restaurants, taxis or cinemas been open just for you; read a little about Costa Rica first and then plan ahead, PLANNING...that's says a lot about travellers and their expectations. And also; if you want a hostel close to the airport just look for Alajuela and not San Jose. XO Paula

As my first stopping point in Costa Rica, i found In & Basic to be the best place to go. It's all thanks to Paula and the amount of knowledge that she has about the country. I have many new travel plans thanks to her.

• 27th Dec 2015

Most Welcome and I hope you enjoy the rest of the country...and have a lots of fun!!! Pura Vida!! XOXO

Paula was great host. She helped me out with the setting of my trip through the coast. Good location. Nice bars close by and seemed pretty safe area. Overall great staff to feel welcome abroad. Will repeat.

• 23rd Dec 2015
  • Spain

XOXO Mil Gracias nena!! PURA VIDA y esperamos verte de nuevo!

We only stayed for a stop over night but our experience was really great.. The lady at the front desk helped us organise our bus for the next day, woke up early to call our cab, gave us a step by step guide to getting to the next place and even gave us some breakfast to go because we missed the free breakfast. The rooms were lovely and there was a good viba I highly recommend this place even just for a night like us!

Is always a pleasure to help you and serve!! Thanks for your kind words!!!! Keep on enjoying Costa Rica! XOXO Paula

Paula and her family were very friendly and make you feel welcomed! It was my first hostel upon arriving in Costa Rica and she had the answer to any and all questions about traveling around, where to go, what to do, and how to get there! The hostel was thoroughly cleaned every day. Hot showers, free breakfast, very safe, good wifi, and great people! Would definitely recommend to anyone!

• 9th Dec 2015

All the best!! XOXO Paula

The hostel is very clean and the staff is helpful. We stayed there for only one night and it was perfect for what we needed. The only problem is that internet did not work in our bedroom, but everything else was good. The bathroom os perfectly clean.

Dear Customers: WE DO EXPLAIN and show to everybody that ON PURPOSE the internet signal is blocked in the second floor just for obligate the guests to GO OUTSIDE the room and meet other fellow travellers; and also the city that's absolutely safe and nice! Please leave technology a step outside once that you decide to visit a GREEN COUNTRY! We encourage the contact with nature! Our advice...All the best! XOXO P

Nice hostel, the owner is fantastic, she tried to help us for any problem! Is not really close to the center but you can walk for 20/30 mins from there and you are in center. The atmosphere is easy going and warm in there! So, I really recommend this hostel to you, guys! Enjoy!

All the best guys thank you for your kind words!!!! XOXO P

I don't leave comments usually, but this time it's earned :) Very helpful staff, the most clean hostel I ever stayed. Hot shower and very tasty breakfast included (pancakes ready to be eaten, fruits, koffe, salams atd). There's also perfect security in this hostel. I definitely enjoyed staying there :)

Thanks a lot for your special comment and kind words to us! Was a real pleasure to have you in our hostel guys! All the best and keep on travelling! XOXO

I really enjoyed staying at In&Basic. The staff were really helpful since I landed in Costa Rica with no plan at all. The airport shuttle was great and super convenient. The hostel is located outside of the city center, so it is not noisy, but the distance is easily walkable- and there are busses as well. Also convenient- there is a grocery store and several restaurants very nearby. All in all a very clean, affordable, and pleasant place to stay. :)

Thanks a lot for your review and high recommendation! Here you have a second house! Hope you really enjoy Costa Rica! All the best ..XOXO P

Great ppl and service was divine.. We got some issues at the airport with our lounge and the owner of the hostel was very helpful.. We are very happy with their hospitality.

• 15th Oct 2015

Is always a pleasure to help to our customers!!..hope that you ladies are enjoying Costa Rica..PURA VIDA and all the success at your presentations!! XOXO P.

perfect and nice place! very friendly staff

Thanks for your kind words!! We try to improve ourselves every day! Thanks! PURA VIDA! XOXO P

This is a very lovely place to hang your hat and get your head down. The staff are such wonderfully helpful people and are multi lingual so communicating is a breeze. In my humble opinion the rooms are a little over priced and you can get similar rooms with the same offerings for much less. To wake up to a beautiful Costa Rican breakfast has it's advantages, but it depends on the day of the ingredients that are compiled to create the offerings for breakfast, i.e. the fruits change etc. Enjoy!

• 15th Sep 2015

Thanks a lot for your comments and review; we actually have a special prices via Hostelworld; and it has some advantages due the deposit pre paid in advance. Yes we do care in terms of our breakfast serve every day; we try to change offerings as much as we can! (we try indeed to adapt as well to dietary needs for example, upon request). Hope that you come back and use us as youre second house while youre visiting Costa Rica! All the best! Thanks! XOXO P.

The hostel is nice and clean and good for a stay. Location is good and they serve a nice breakfast! When we stayed there, it was quiet and not a lot going on. No activities and a bit boring. They don't accept creditcards, although they say they do on the website.

Is writen in our site here in Hostelworld and all other that we do accept credit cards using Paypal; is writen in all the information signals in our reception desk, and you ;if you cannot use or know how to use Paypal I encourage you to learn and use it and maybe you will stop writting meaningless reviews. The fact that you put us 3 in staff means that you even appreciate that i moved you to a private ensuite with bathroom; my bad! We are NOT a party Hostel for God sake!! Smokers and horrible! P

I stayed at the hostel on my first and last couple of nights in Costa Rica. I found it was very clean, well organised and managed. The staff is very attentive to any need you have and will gladly assist you with anything. I went on a 2 day trip and they gladly stored my big bag with no problem. There is a small center near by with couple of restaurants and a supermarket a few blocks away. I would recommend this hostel to anyone passing San Jose.

Youre most welcome! Thank you for choosing us!! Hope to see you again! XO