In&basic Hostel Lounge Reviews

200 m South and 75 m west of Spoon, Los Yoses., San Jose, Costa Rica

+ Very clean hostel (they clean the bathroom almost every time is used) + Not very close to city centre (it's reachable by foot if you like walking: I did it many times). It's in a quiet area in San Pedro district where with a little walk you can find malls, bars and discos. + Great staff. They know how to run an hostel. + Breakfast included and if you can't have it (~early waking up cuz going to a tour), they give you a bag with some food and drinks. - Risk of queues for common bathroom/shower.

I stayed at In N Basic on 03/20/2015. I was met at the door a person that was very kind and helpful. The hostel is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. They put a huge effort to maintain the place to a high standard, and I think that this also encourages the people who stay at the hostel to treat the place nicely. The place was quiet. Hostelers were friendly, as were the staff. The breakfast was continental with pancakes, fruit and sausage. They also helped me to send out postcards. A+

Was a great pleasure to have you in our Hostel; is your house in Costa Rica hope to have you again! XOXO

The staff is super friendly and the place has a really homey feel. The owner goes out of her way to make you comfortable. My friend and I stayed for two nights and both days we left before breakfast time. The owner made sure to pack us something to eat each day. She also helped us fix a mistake we made booking a tour. Would absolutely go back!

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Mexico

Frm the buttom of my heart: THANK YOU!!! :)

I just love this hostel! The staff are so friendly and helpful. It can be hard to find staff at hostels that can actually provide useful travel information but the two ladies and the guy that work here are so knowledgeable. They helped my friend organize her bus to nicaragua and gave us tips about where to go next in Costa Rica. This is probably the cleanest hostel I've stayed at in the past 10 months and the breakfast is amazing.

Is simple fantastic to read such amazing and kind words!! Thank you so much for your comments! This will be your house always! XOXO //In&Basic Staff

In&basic is extremely clean. We booked a room with a shared bathroom but we've got a free upgrade to a private room with bathroom. And it was great! But the greatest was Paula, because of the vulcano outbreak we were not sure If our flight would leave, but even before we could panic Paula had it all figured out. She called our airline and made sure we had a good flight 24h later. She is so helpfull with everything you need and makes you feel right at home!

And it was a extreme pleasure to help you guys!! Is more than my duty to ensure the wellbeing of my customers; and also is a motto to my staff! Hope to see you again!! Tot ziens! XOXO In&Basic Staff!

Quiet, clean hostel with good breakfast and friendly knowledgable staff. Drew me a map to get to town and helpful with booking tours. Downsides were having to move rooms because upstairs room flooded due to a burst pipe. Also, Internet does not work in upstairs room. Kitchen has no microwave, oven doesn't work and you are only allowed to put bread in the smaller toaster oven, so your only cooking option is stovetop.

• 24th Feb 2015

The incident with the pipe was solved in matters of 20 minutes; however; I ordered to move all guest to a diferent room just in case. Nothing else happened. The oven DOES work (probably you never ask!) No microwave (guests exploded it!!); and we do have a toaster and a toaster oven. PLease do not write false information. The internet does work in all main floor, kitchen, porch and gardens; not upstaris rooms thats explained every time to our guests. the Owner

Our stay at In&Basic was nothing short of excellent. The owner and the staff were super friendly, we shared many laughs and funny conversations. They offered a lot of information that helped us a great deal to get around while we were in San Jose. It was a shame we had to leave so soon, but we will definitely come back to in&basic.

Was a real pleasure guys!!! Hope to see you again in our house! All the best!! XOXO

So helpful! Was a very relaxing place to stay and Paula is very easy to talk to and knows so much about the country. Highly recommend!

Moste welcome darling! Thanks a lot for your kind words and recommendations!

Great hostel, wonderful, charming helpful staff. Location a little out of the way, but still fairly easy to get to. Beds in dorm basic, but still very good value. Tip to owners: sell smaller beers - a litre is a little much for one person. :)

First time that somedoby complains about the beers!! hahahaha We get the joke; no problem; is for the value one liter of beer is cheaper than 500 ml or 750 ml; but we got your fair point and we will start to offer small ones! :) Good that you liked the time with us!!! All the best Darling! XOXO

I was sick when I arrived and was looked after by the owner. Was a good thing not many people in the hostel as I was able to rest!! Great for a transit stop for a night or two.

Was a real pleasure to have you and to take care of you during the 2 days that you were sick!. Hope that youre continuining your trip and enjoying Costa Rica. To our customers please BE AWARE of the food poison that might happen while youre travelling around Bocas & the Caribbean! Please be carefull with the water that you guys drink!!! All the best XOXO

Paula you know I love you for being you, you are what you do! Beautiful

• 7th Feb 2015

And I love you darling Dorina!!! all the best!! XOXO

This was a great hostel, felt a bit like a boutique hostel with comfy beds and cool decor! The staff were so friendly and helpful in guiding us around the city and helping us to plan onward travel. Its located only 5 min bus ride from the busy centre but had cafes, restauranrs, a mall and supermarket all within walking distance. The pizza resraurant around the corner is the best pizza I've ever eaten!!

Will be always a great pleasure to have you at our home darling! Thank you so much for such kind words! XOXO

Great hostel. The staff is super nice and helpful. They know a lot about the San Jose area and make sure you feel safe. furthermore they serve a great breakfast and clean everyday the whole house, really hardworking people Its more a quiet hostel than a party hostel but it is in the area of the University of Costa Rica. Great supermarket and a little shopping mall close by. Loved my stay there!

Thank you so much for such kind words!!! Yes we try to give all our best to our customers!! Hope that you enjoyed Costa Rica! A big Hug from the staff!!! XOXO

I only stayed one night at In

• 29th Jan 2015

Is a shame that we cannot read fully your comment; however Nicole; thanks a lot for choosed us as your finale stop in your costarican journey!! All the best! XOXO Paula

Fantastic hostel, great facilities and incredibly clean and well run. The owner is a great hostess and everybody there is fabulously helpful and friendly and create a home away from home! It's in a great part of town, San Pedro, a short bus ride to the centre and a short walk from great restaurants, shops and a pretty good mall.... The calzone in the hostel is brilliant and there is a great stock of wine, so take your choice. Fantastic place to stay

It was and It will be always a great pleasure to serve you and help you out! Thanks a lot in the name of Oriana and her pizzas! all the best and hope to see you again!!! XOXO

Slept here my first and last night in a private room. Room and bathroom were clean and there was hot water in the shower :-) Owners are nice and helpful. I took the airport-shuttle they offer (25 dollar, about 30 minutes drive), which was very nice. Breakfast is oke, not very special. The last night I had to leave early, so they gave me a breakfast to go, which I appreciated! I think it's a nice hostel :-)

Thank you very much for your nice comment! XOXO

wow, this is one of the best hostels I have stayed in! staff is so friendly, I arrived after 11pm at night and was hungry, but the kitchen was closed so she have me some Oreos and an apple which was sweet. this place is spotless clean, and smells good and you instantly feel comfortable. it's in San Pedro which is a safe are and has everything you need close by. the owner knows everything and helps you with your travel plans. bathrooms are perfectly clean and have hot water. love it!!

• 24th Jan 2015

Thank you so much for yor kind words!! We work hard and try to please and help everybody!!! All the best!! XOXO

I came in late and had a transfer arranged by the hostel which was wonderful at 2 am. I had such a nice stay and met some amazing people. The only complaint I have is really about the location. I met a bunch of fellow travelers and we wanted to have drinks outside or on the back patio on a friday night, but apparently the neighbors complain about the noise often. If a few tipsy, well behaved travelers are problematic, the hostel might do better as a B&B.

Dear Travellers: The Hostel have Silent Hours starting at 11 pm; anyway I did let you have drinks and more until 12:45 pm at the back patio; and later on; all you guys Tipsy and drunk continue the drinking and talking -very loud- until 2.20 am! You must write the true events; also that I got you having sex in the bathroom minutes later. So here is my public complain Several of the guests misbehaved themselves, you included. All the best!! XOXO Paula

Mixed feelings about this hostel. It was definitely clean and great value for money. The staff were first class at being helpful advising me on how to catch a bus to Nicaragua and another guest who needed to see an eye doctor. However the kitchen was out of bounds from 9.30pm. I had been travelling 12 hours that day and wanted to make something to eat. The next morning the staff were on operation clean up ASAP, leaving you nowhere to sit except your room.

• 13th Jan 2015

Sorry for your mixed feelings but from 10:00 am up to 1:00 pm when is Check Out time and everybody leaves; is cleaning time for us (we are under schedule; receiving guests at any moment!)..and yes there is the front porch area (3 tables and 15 chairs) where you can sit while we´re cleaning; also is the garden side at the back of the house. All the best! XOXO

Loved it! Our stay was basically a stopover on our way to other parts of Costa Rica but booked to stay the next week on leaving. Not a real party hostel but there's pizza and cheap beers! The staff are super lovely, very helpful especially in organising a really reasonably priced shuttle from the airport to the hostel for the two of us at the last minute. TL;DR loved it, we're going back before flying out

Most Welcome!!!!! XOXO Was and will be a pleasure!!