In&basic Hostel Lounge Reviews

200 m South and 75 m west of Spoon, Los Yoses., San Jose, Costa Rica

Very friendly staff, helped me to organise transport from the airport, which was hassle free, and were very understanding when I had initial money problems. Also when I had to leave very early, they prepared a small breakfast to take with me. Is a bit of a walk from the centre, not too bad though, and I would like to have a locker in the dorm.

We have very clear in our description that we dont offer lockers in the dormitories; we do have Safety Boxes and storage for the important belongings. Both systems are working perfectly so far; and no complains. By the way, the dormitory that you were sleeping does has a Big plackart or closet; all the best! XOXO

Second time staying here and again it was great. Staff are extremely helpful and friendly.

Was a real pleasure to have you guys back at the Hostel! Always a pleasure! All the best! XOXO

Well located just out of the city in a relatively quiet residential area. Close to some shops and cafes, not far from a large mall. Well run and comfortable. Really good breakfast included. My only criticism would be that if you are up early as I was you have no access to the kitchen to make a morning drink. Kitchen opened at 8am. Generally a great place and staff very helpful. Recommended.

At 6 am is not time for the guests to be in the kitchen; but yes for the staff thats actually working in cleaning and coocking the breakfast that will be served.Our main difference to others hostels is that we ACTUALLY care about our guests and You; anyway; got the permission and did had your Tea! Please be honest next time; all the best.. XOXO Paula

Staff were very kind & friendly. Hostel was also really clean and secure.

• 2nd Apr 2015

Thanks for your kind words; we do have a secure house and nice staff indeed!!! Hope to see you again!! Paula

Staff are fantastic, extremely helpful. A great quiet place to stop for a night or two. Very clean which is nice.

We do put our biggest effort in service and keep the hostel ready and neat for you guys! Thanks a lot! XOXO P

In&Basic is what you need if you are starting a trip in Costa Rica. They are really helpful, both with arranging airport pickup ($25) and plan further destinations. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm, a basic dorm, what you can expect for the money being paid. Paula is a great host and In&Basic is definitely a good choice in San José!

Is a huge incentive to read comments like this! Thank you so much in my name and also in the name of In&Basic Staff/Owners. Hope to see you again! Enjoy Costa Rica! XOXO P

Very secure, very helpful staff. Nice little backyard area for hanging out, as well as a small bar. Not sure when the bar is open however, as we only stayed one night and it was closed.

Dear guests: We dont have a "Bar" but we offer drinks, wine and Pizzas//Choripan.. Stange that you mentioned that due you did ate our Choripan (in fact 2!!) and you did drink beers..Thank you for your comment! Regards X

In&Basic was a really great hostel in San Jose! They picked my dad up at the airport, called and organized cabs every time we needed one, even packed us a breakfast to go when we were leaving early one morning before it was served to everyone else. The cooked breakfast was good. It was quiet, clean, and the staff went out of their way many times in our only two night stay to make everything go smoothly for us. I would absolutely stay there again.

• 26th Mar 2015

+ Very clean hostel (they clean the bathroom almost every time is used) + Not very close to city centre (it's reachable by foot if you like walking: I did it many times). It's in a quiet area in San Pedro district where with a little walk you can find malls, bars and discos. + Great staff. They know how to run an hostel. + Breakfast included and if you can't have it (~early waking up cuz going to a tour), they give you a bag with some food and drinks. - Risk of queues for common bathroom/shower.

Thank you so much for your kind words and very good description of the area and about the hostel. Yes, was a little crowded during your stay; and people is just in the willing of using the bathroom at the same time; but we manage it! :) Hope that you enjoy Costa Rica and our Hostel. All the best! XOXO Paula

I stayed at In N Basic on 03/20/2015. I was met at the door a person that was very kind and helpful. The hostel is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. They put a huge effort to maintain the place to a high standard, and I think that this also encourages the people who stay at the hostel to treat the place nicely. The place was quiet. Hostelers were friendly, as were the staff. The breakfast was continental with pancakes, fruit and sausage. They also helped me to send out postcards. A+

Was a great pleasure to have you in our Hostel; is your house in Costa Rica hope to have you again! XOXO

I had a large room and bathroom to myself and I thought it was a great value for the price I paid. The staff are super nice and make a great breakfast! I felt safe there despite bars on the windows and barbed wire on the fence. I felt the taxis they called and advice they provided were reliable. Claudia was a very fun and animated hostess. She cares about her guests, even providing a breakfast to-go when I left very early for the next leg of my trip. That was very kind. I was very grateful!

Was a real pleasure to have you at our home!! Hope that you enjoyed Costa Rica! A big hug and Pura Vida!! XOXO

The staff is super friendly and the place has a really homey feel. The owner goes out of her way to make you comfortable. My friend and I stayed for two nights and both days we left before breakfast time. The owner made sure to pack us something to eat each day. She also helped us fix a mistake we made booking a tour. Would absolutely go back!

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Mexico

Frm the buttom of my heart: THANK YOU!!! :)

I just love this hostel! The staff are so friendly and helpful. It can be hard to find staff at hostels that can actually provide useful travel information but the two ladies and the guy that work here are so knowledgeable. They helped my friend organize her bus to nicaragua and gave us tips about where to go next in Costa Rica. This is probably the cleanest hostel I've stayed at in the past 10 months and the breakfast is amazing.

Is simple fantastic to read such amazing and kind words!! Thank you so much for your comments! This will be your house always! XOXO //In&Basic Staff

In&basic is extremely clean. We booked a room with a shared bathroom but we've got a free upgrade to a private room with bathroom. And it was great! But the greatest was Paula, because of the vulcano outbreak we were not sure If our flight would leave, but even before we could panic Paula had it all figured out. She called our airline and made sure we had a good flight 24h later. She is so helpfull with everything you need and makes you feel right at home!

And it was a extreme pleasure to help you guys!! Is more than my duty to ensure the wellbeing of my customers; and also is a motto to my staff! Hope to see you again!! Tot ziens! XOXO In&Basic Staff!

Quiet, clean hostel with good breakfast and friendly knowledgable staff. Drew me a map to get to town and helpful with booking tours. Downsides were having to move rooms because upstairs room flooded due to a burst pipe. Also, Internet does not work in upstairs room. Kitchen has no microwave, oven doesn't work and you are only allowed to put bread in the smaller toaster oven, so your only cooking option is stovetop.

• 24th Feb 2015

The incident with the pipe was solved in matters of 20 minutes; however; I ordered to move all guest to a diferent room just in case. Nothing else happened. The oven DOES work (probably you never ask!) No microwave (guests exploded it!!); and we do have a toaster and a toaster oven. PLease do not write false information. The internet does work in all main floor, kitchen, porch and gardens; not upstaris rooms thats explained every time to our guests. the Owner

Our stay at In&Basic was nothing short of excellent. The owner and the staff were super friendly, we shared many laughs and funny conversations. They offered a lot of information that helped us a great deal to get around while we were in San Jose. It was a shame we had to leave so soon, but we will definitely come back to in&basic.

Was a real pleasure guys!!! Hope to see you again in our house! All the best!! XOXO

So helpful! Was a very relaxing place to stay and Paula is very easy to talk to and knows so much about the country. Highly recommend!

Moste welcome darling! Thanks a lot for your kind words and recommendations!

Great hostel, wonderful, charming helpful staff. Location a little out of the way, but still fairly easy to get to. Beds in dorm basic, but still very good value. Tip to owners: sell smaller beers - a litre is a little much for one person. :)

First time that somedoby complains about the beers!! hahahaha We get the joke; no problem; is for the value one liter of beer is cheaper than 500 ml or 750 ml; but we got your fair point and we will start to offer small ones! :) Good that you liked the time with us!!! All the best Darling! XOXO

I was sick when I arrived and was looked after by the owner. Was a good thing not many people in the hostel as I was able to rest!! Great for a transit stop for a night or two.

Was a real pleasure to have you and to take care of you during the 2 days that you were sick!. Hope that youre continuining your trip and enjoying Costa Rica. To our customers please BE AWARE of the food poison that might happen while youre travelling around Bocas & the Caribbean! Please be carefull with the water that you guys drink!!! All the best XOXO

Paula you know I love you for being you, you are what you do! Beautiful

• 7th Feb 2015