India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Great value for money. Comfortable beds. Location is a 15 minute streetcar ride from downtown. Streetcar stop is 2 mins. from the hostel. Make sure to bring your towel or be charged $5 /towel. Credit cards not accepted if your bill is less than 80 dollars. I stayed in the male dorm; shelf space & locker availability was very limited. Toilets don't have soap, so carry your own. You can cook your own food or buy meals made on-site. Ensure that the key deposit amt ($5) is noted on the yellow card

My fiance and I were very satisfied with our stay at India House. We were only there for one night. The room was clean, we were surprised and pleased that you offer meals at the hostel. The location was great. Our only complaint was that the room was cold- very cold- in the middle of the night. The radiator really wasn't enough to warm the space. (We were in Lagniappe).

• 16th Feb 2015

We had a private room which was clean and comfortable. Good quality for the price. I think that the dining room needs a little refresh, painting and big clean. Too much writings on the wall. I visited the dormitories in the main house and had the same feeling.

• 15th Feb 2015

Everything was fine but it is wrong and rude that you have a prominent sign at your desk that says "now hiring irish need not apply" I was traveling with an Irishman and we found this rude. If you dug up an old "no coloreds" sign, would you put it in front of the building because you thought it was funny? Maybe "whites only"?

• 15th Feb 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at the India House. The staff was excellent; they were able to keep everything running extremely smoothly during the chaotic mardi gras holiday, while still providing a relaxing, comforting atmosphere for myself and the other guests to revel in. I was quite impressed with the number and condition of the facilities made available to the guests; a shower, sink, toilet, refrigerator, etc. was never unavailable or unpleasant to use.

• 13th Feb 2015

Great location for Mardi Gras, only 20-30 minute walk to the centre and the Endymion parade went right passed the hostel! The staff were really friendly and helpful however the room (twin bed room) had sheets that were dirty and too thin. We were shivering all night. The main issue was lack of noise insulation. You can hear everything in other peoples rooms. Great if you want an all night party but not if you want to sleep!

• 13th Feb 2015

Great private rooms, especially for the price and during Mardi Gras. Location good for midtown Mardi Gras parades. Front desk girls were exceptional. Thank-you.

We stayed here for Mardi gras. It was easy to get to the down town and staff were very helpful for any questions we had about the city Prices of course go up for events but still better and cheaper then a hotel. Overall great stay for your money

• 12th Feb 2015

better than a hotel that was triple the price!

• 12th Feb 2015

India house is a beautiful place.

• 11th Feb 2015

This is a great hostel. I've stayed here before and am glad to have returned. It's in a fantastic location, easy to get to and from the action, and has a fun environment!

Nice place to stay for alternative travellers. Lots of art in livingrooms. Wifi didnt work most of the time, otherwise you had to pay for computer. Maybe they can put curtains/something to separate the dorms more. There were no doors between the dorms..

Awesome place to stay. The patio commons area is perfect for meeting people. And there's a pool! It's a 30 second walk from the Canal Streetcar that drops you right on Bourbon street. Beat hostel in NOLA.

• 9th Feb 2015

The vibe of the hostel is really cool and it's easy to meet people because of the setup. The pool is a nice feature and the breakfast, though not free, is cheap and delicious. Staff are helpful without being super friendly. The rooms are a bit shoddy - old, cold and sort of crumbling... but they did give space heaters and extra blankets on request. All in all a decent hostel and a good place to meet folk.

amazing experience. best value

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Vietnam
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Awesome hostel!!

It was good stuff; everyone was very nice and welcoming. Cool ambiance, clean for a hostel, I really enjoyed it. It's right next to the trolley car stop so very convenient to get into town. Rudy at the front desk gave us some great recommendations, and breakfast, despite having one cook for over 20 travelers, never took too long and was delicious.The weather was great, which is obviously out of their control, but still added to the positive experience we had staying at India House. =)

• 5th Feb 2015

Our room was a little chilly. An air-conditioner was located in the window, with plastic fittings surrounding it. Luckily I had a sleeping bag to help ward the chill off.

• 1st Feb 2015

I'm an older (over 40) traveler, and I was surprised that I was restricted to a private room. I chose to stay at a hostel to have a more social experience, but I was required to pay for two beds in a room although I only needed one. I felt a little discriminated against. I should be able to decide for myself if I can "handle" a dorm or shared room.

• 31st Jan 2015

Loved meeting range of guests. Location near Canal St tram is excellent. Loved NO. Thanks.