India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Good hostel! They have very cheap breakfasts on site until 1pm, a big outdoors area with a pool. Although its not located in a very happening area, you can get to the city centre within 10 min on the streetcar located right next to the hostel. Wifi is good and we could catch it from our room, air con, privates have a double and a single bed (bunk). Nothing really bad to say about this place and would definitely recommend it

Great location close to the street cars. Rooms are very basic with very hard mattresses. Staff are very unwelcoming and look like they would rather be somewhere else.

Clean beds and bathrooms, nice quiet sleeping areas and fantastic common areas - great for meeting and hanging out with other travellers. Awesome wall art and an affordable cooked breakfast. Convenient transport to downtown with the trolley pretty much door-to-door.

This place is awesome, I can't think of one bad thing. One of my favourite places, bar none.

• 18th Apr 2014

The India has to be one of the most expansive hostels I have ever been to. The maze of dorms, kitchens, social rooms turned this place into a very unique destination to stay while in NOLA. Their cheap breakfast gives ample reason to get up, hang out, and then check out the city. The beds are horrible, but otherwise great spot.

Loved this place. Best hostel I've been to in the U.S.

• 14th Apr 2014

Really loved it here. Cool hostel, very much like others of its kind in Europe. They also offer breakfast and dinner, which was cool. The pool wasn't open during my stay but that's definitely a perk. Thanks! Can't wait to go back.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The staff is FANTASTIC... in fact, I am planning my next vacation to make sure to include more time to sit and enjoy the ambiance, catch up on some down-time, reading and visiting with the other guests, Which added volumes to my enjoyment of the India House. Keep up the awesome hospitality !! T Brown

• 13th Apr 2014

Enjoyed the breakfast and coffee on the patio. Too much smoking there, however. Looking forward to the completion of the pool. The rooms need some TLC, like plugging up the holes in the walls and updating lighting. How about a place to hang clothes, even if just a few hooks? At least the kitchen has improved in neatness and cleanliness.. It took forever to get checked in because people had not checked out by noon as required. This needs to be addressed! Thank you for listening.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Hungary

Listen to the advice: do not keep food in the room. In the words of the great Marley... one roach, one mouse, lets get together in India House! Apart from this, great atmosphere for a great city.

• 12th Apr 2014

Really nice experience. My only complaint is that it wasn't made clear that you had to pay in cash if your stay was less than $80. Mine was over that until I paid the deposit, and then I was forced to get cash out at the ATM. I had credit card points for travel that I was planning on using, so this was a disappointment. Otherwise a great place in a great city.

• 11th Apr 2014

Wonderful place! Great staff and atmosphere. Breakfast and dinner served at great prices. Wish doors and locks on Voodoo and Bayou rooms were more sturdy/reliable. Will be back again soon!

• 11th Apr 2014

We had an awesome time. The people who were staying at the hostel were of all nationalities, ages and types but had in common respect of one and other and the facility. The atmosphere was chill and set up so that we instantly mixed with the other people staying there and felt at home and part of a family of cool-ass people right away. We plan to return. Thank you to the India House for a wonderful place to stay in a wonderful city. P.S. I don't usually do reviews but wanted to tell you.

• 10th Apr 2014

Very fun and respectful place to stay. Lots of travelers from all over. Definitely enriched my NOLA experience.

• 10th Apr 2014

If someone lives outside the area, they should be allowed to stay. When I started staying at IH, I lived in Oregon. Now that I've moved to inside of LA, they say I can't stay any more, even though I live 3.5 hours away. Movie shoots and other events bring me to NOLA, for work. I should be allowed to stay and would appreciate a response.

• 9th Apr 2014

Great value for you $$$!! One of the best around the city, well certainly so close to the Quarter and the Cemeteries! Great location with super easy access to the trolleys. They have a morning breakfast with a great menu and prices couldn't be cheaper! $6 get you breakfast for myself and my girlfriend!! They also do dinners and have live music in the back which adds to the experience, makes it one of a kind in NOLA. If you do find something you don't like it'll probably the other guest, typical.

• 8th Apr 2014

Awesome environment! Worth staying! Relativelly close to city center, you can take the street car that is right outside the hostel and be there in 15 min. Recomend to everyone!

Quite far out but less than 30 seconds walk from the streetcar, the longest wait I had for one towards Bourbon Street was about 2 minutes! Fantastic vibe at India House, plenty of common space for socialising, and plenty of storage for food. Rooms have lockers (though you need your own padlock) and don't feel cramped. Staff very friendly, offering cheap breakfast every morning and numerous tours are advertised at the front desk. Would highly recommend for a few nights on a budget in NOLA

An amazing place with awesome staff. Easy place to meet new people to hang out with. Had a very welcoming environment, with a nice homely feel to it. I would highly reccomend for my friends to stay there.

• 4th Apr 2014

Super helpful and welcoming staff! Yummy breakfast! Chill, laid back atmosphere Very accomodating