India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Such a great place to stay. There's really not much more to say. If you're passing through New Orleans, it'd be a mistake not to stay here.

• 24th Mar 2014

Awesome place to stay. I've really enjoyed my time at India House. The staff is great and the atmosphere is spontaneous. I really enjoyed the quality breakfast and dinners. The 8-bed male dorms are not the best place to get sleep. They're located to the next to the main social area. Shift your sleep schedule 4 hours and you'll fit right in. Major downside is the location. Streetcar is needed to get from and to French Qaurter.

I loved staying at the India House, it was fantastic! It is about a 25 min. walk to the French Quarter and next to the trolley station if you don't want to walk. They offer delicious home cooked meals for $5 and have a lovely commons area where everyone hangs out. They only complaint I would have is that the bathrooms are made for one person at a time, so oftentimes there was a line. Also there are small lockers available but you have to bring your own lock. Definitely would recommend this place

• 23rd Mar 2014

The allowance for problems in reservation could be more organized.

• 22nd Mar 2014

This place is fantastic! People complaining about it being too loud or crazy probably shouldn't be staying in a backpacking hostel...this one was relatively tame in comparison, while still having a great atmosphere! The staff and people were super friendly and helpful, the place had everything you could ever need (including GREAT water temp/pressure...quite the luxury after my travels in different hostels throughout the world...), and the place is located within 20 minutes of anywhere!

• 19th Mar 2014

The ad. of city, swamp and plantation tours R in the lobby. Before I booked 3 tours via the hostel,I asked the staff (a male about 50) twice about the discount. He answered vaguely. But the next day the tour guide said"U can have $8 off if U book 2". I asked I booked 3 why no discount. She said U should asked the staff.The staff said "I don't know, I just help U call them." I felt being cheated by them. They should tell me in advance or I can book the "cajun encounters" on line by my own.

Good for those who just need a bed and a shower! Will keep in mind for next trip to New Orleans!

• 15th Mar 2014

Great hostel with plenty of opportunities to meet other travelers. Huge as well. But there are a few odd things that won't affect your stay which could be improved, like there is only one bowl on the whole hostel, the shower curtains in my dorm only covered half the shower, so everything got wet. All in all a very good hostel.

Met some cool people, this hotels has everything that you need

• 8th Mar 2014

Bathroom upstairs was dirty.

Bed didn't have a sheet on it when I checked in at 3...was told it would be put on later, showed back up at 11pm and it still wasn't on my bed. The plastic covering that was on the bed had a hole on it as well. The hole on the wall next to the bed was ugly as well. Bathroom toilets were filthy. Staff and the house kitty were the only highlight of the hostel.

• 5th Mar 2014

Loved my stay here-- really fun atmosphere and the streetcar is right outside. I've never statyed in a hostel quite like this with all the seperate buildingd, but I loved it!

• 2nd Mar 2014

I love India house and always will

Cool vibe!!! Good people overall...

• 2nd Mar 2014
  • Haiti

Everything was great, staff was amazing. Only issue was the creepy little bearded guy in his mid 20s-early 30s. He gave me a bad vibe from moment 1.

• 26th Feb 2014

Has a great common areas which helps to meet other travelers. There was a nice diversity of age groups. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They offers great tasting meals you can purchase for an inexpensive price or a large kitchen that anyone can use. Bottomless coffee was provided however I prefer tea and there was none. The rooms and bathrooms could use better heating. The location was about a 15 minute street car trolly ride to the french quarters. I would stay there again.

• 26th Feb 2014

the Hostel give us the best of attention and also simple and authentic theme. I enjoyed every moment that i spend in the hostel because the people who went to the hostel at the same time that i was, were really nice people interesting, travelers of everywhere and i could spend a great time with them.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Colombia

is perfect place to stay in NOLA the best bohemian hostel i stayed

GREAT Experience! loved the art in walls perfect New Orleans atmosphere! Planning to return...

• 22nd Feb 2014
  • Belize

Simply the best hostel I've ever stayed!

• 22nd Feb 2014