India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

The service of the grumpy guys don't add to the enjoyment of staying there, like if they are not happy with the job. Go do something else!!!! The girls were very kind, so just fire the guys and let the girls run the show. Atmosphere was good, kind of like a studentdorm. But toilets.. 'bathrooms' dont even call it that way.. are nasty. Terrible smell when I arrived in the dorm, sticky feet etc./ then the key didnt work proper (go fix it!!)/ all added up to me leaving the place early. :(

interesting hostel with great interior. easy access to French quarter etc via street car. breakfast not included which is a shame and paid breakfast not great value. Two female staff members on desk duty were very helpful and friendly. Not very clean compared to previous hostels we've stayed at particularly bathroom.

You will either love it for its character or hate it because the whole joint needs a desperate renovation.

Great place to meet fellow travelers and good comradery however a few of the staff are stuck up they take things that aren't yours and have horrible customer service e

• 15th Jun 2015

Place is great recommend it to everyone

• 14th Jun 2015

I absolutely love the India House! This was my second time being there and it was a blast as always! The atmosphere is amazing and the people are always down to earth. The only thing I would recommend is the place do a deep cleaning. They are working on remodeling which is great but the rooms are dusty and a bit dirty. If they spent an extra day a week doing a deep cleaning it would be worth it. Other than that I love the India House and highly recommend it!

• 12th Jun 2015

Really awesome hostel, backyard with swimming pool, very easy you can met new people, streetcar from downtown to hostel is very easy to use!

• 12th Jun 2015
  • Finland

Yes I am very good feeling s have a good friends.And helping staff.cheap prize.so good decision I am taking this India house hostel.. Thank u so much .

• 11th Jun 2015
  • India

My boyfriend, sister and I stayed here for 5 days. We had an awesome time!! Everyone was so friendly. I highly recommend this hostel to anyone looking to have an fun, laid back and wonderful experience while they are in new Orleans!!

• 11th Jun 2015

They have to improve the facility. So dirty and old rooms. No hygiene at all.

I can't recommend this place more! India House Hostel made my visit to New Orleans one of the best I've ever had. I was surprised by how positive and communal the atmosphere was; everyone was extremely kind and helpful and the back patio area is perfect for relaxing after a long day exploring the city. The hostel isn't in the best area of town, but I felt completely safe inside. Most of all, it is located right by the trolley line, so I didn't have to drive or pay to park the entire time.

• 10th Jun 2015

There was such a great atmosphere. Everyone hangs out on the porch or by the pool. Met so many great people here. I stayed in a mixed-12 dorm and it was so clean! Never saw a bug in the dorms. Now, the main house/kitchen? Yeah, I saw cockroaches there. Other than that, the best trip/stay I've ever had. Going to be hard to beat India House.

• 10th Jun 2015

The best rate in New Orleans 5 minutes to french quater in trolley / 25 walking Great ambiance Ps: Go to frenchmen street for great NO jazz

• 10th Jun 2015

No mirrors, shelves or lockers in dorms. One bathroom between 7 rooms in the first floor. A cat that I didn't know about from the website (I'm severely allergic). Dust EVERYWHERE. Mattresses were torn and fluff was coming off. One of the front desk girls with brunette hair wasn't very friendly she treated me like I was wasting her time. Another New Zealander working at the front I overheard her and a few others from the hostel badmouthing Australians, I am Australian so it wasn't nice.

• 10th Jun 2015

This was much further out of town than I'd thought. Half the staff were very friendly and helpful, half weren't very friendly. The rooms weren't very clean and no towel provided. The bathrooms were pretty gross and filled with bugs at nighttime. Good kitchen and outdoor area though. Nice pool.

Awful experience! The room was dirty, the showers were really bad. We'd have gladly accepted that due to the good location, however, part of the staff was extremly rude ... During the three nights at the hostel we couldn't sleep at all because our room was right at the backyard and people were partying there until 7 am in the morning. Sorry, but at some point I want to rest a little, and I really don't need a staff member saying that this is "really not my problem". Worst place during our trip!

• 8th Jun 2015

Great Location, not super clean hostel, but there is a pool. tasty breakfast and affordable lunch. The vibe is good because people who go there are really nice and interesting. The hostel itself is a bit old and rusty.

This hostel is so much fun for anyone looking to make friends. I was only there for 24 hours and came home feeling like I made 4 new close friends. The pool is amazing! It adds a fun in the sun element to the hostel. You should never be bored here. They play good music throughout the hostel. They cook good and cheap food every night. The room rates are very reasonable. The only thing I would change is to make the kitchen a little more user friendly with more supplies to cook. India House rocks!

• 8th Jun 2015

nice place, hippie, not very close to French Quarter, but cable cars keeps running except for 3am-5am_

• 5th Jun 2015

When visiting NOLA , for the price staying at the India House is the way to go! We were able to go on a Swamp tour with the extra money we had by staying at the Hostel. Located off Canal street is very convient, it only cost $3 for a day pass on the street car and you can ride all day and night back and forth from the Hostel to Bourbon! Now the rooms may not be that luxurious but the atmosphere and people were wonderful! And not to mention being able to cool off in the pool was great as well!

• 5th Jun 2015