India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Staying at the India House was my first expirence stayin in the hostel, and it was wonderful. The location for this place couldn't be more perfect. The night life of New Orleans was either a short walk or street car ride away. The staff was amazing and so helpful. What I loved most about it was that you had to be a student from the U.S. Or from out of the country, so everyone stayin there were interested in meeting people and having fun. Staying here made my expirence and trip to NOLA perfect!

• 30th Jul 2014

I loved the atmosphere of the place. The home cooked meals were great, and the courtyard and pool were wonderful places to relax and meet other guests. The cats, art, and especially courtyard really made the place unique and enjoyable.

• 30th Jul 2014

best hostel i've ever stayed at. after walking the city for hours, you can relax in the pool and at 6 sharp dinner is served for only 5 dollars! usually it's a local specialty too! evenings are a blast, nobody on phone or laptop, but instead sharing beers and stories and having lots of fun! Read some reviews on how staff is unfriendly and aloof, this is not the case! I admit they are not backpackers and don't share their life stories or hang out w/ guests. but they are there when you need them

This hostel was very unclean (not totally unexpected from a hostel, but moreso than it should have been). There were cockroaches in the rooms and showers, and trash in the hallway wasn't removed frequently, so it smelled bad. Staff wasn't very friendly or informative/helpful.

Had a private dorm with my friend, was really nice with an ensuite. Location a little out, was not that convenient for 2 girls as the streets can be scary at night. We cabbed it everywhere after dark. Good wifi, good atmosphere :)

This hostel has a great outgoing atmosphere. Staff knew everything you needed to know about nola and the pool was great to cool down! Don't worry about the distance from the French quarter as it's an easy tram ride away.

Really fun atmosphere - had sucha great time Everyone was so friendly and trustworthy - left my iPod in the bathroom and it was handed in!

• 26th Jul 2014

Best hostel for Atmosphere, value for money and facilities I have been to in America. Will recommend this place to any one thinking of going to New Orleans!! Cooked breakfast ($6) quality and cooked dinner ($5) even better. Easy tram ride into and out of town about 5 - 10mins and easy cab ride in and out of town cost about $10 to bourbon street. Totally recommend this place.

Great vibe, great people, great food on offer. I'd definately come back if I have the chance and recommend it to others!

• 24th Jul 2014

The pool was awesome, a godsend in the New Orleans heat!

• 24th Jul 2014

Lively vibe, especially if you want to meet people and party - hang out. Some of the staff were nice, a couple very unhelpful. Some repair jobs (e.g. holes in the floor) needed asap. Cheap food and laundry. Only one expensive communal computer ($1 for 15 mins)

Fantastic atmosphere,easy to meet people. The pool was a godsend in the heat,and good,cheap food every morning and afternoon was also gr8

Such a cool aesthetic. You can feel the influence of all the thousands of travellers that have laid their heads here before you. Near a wholefoods market and some yummy, less healthy options too. Getting around by street car is easy and dipping in the pool is a damn fine hangover treatment.

I love the India House! The staff is always friends, the decor and atmosphere of the hostel is very unique and true to the New Orleans vibe. I would recommend this hostel to my friends :)

• 22nd Jul 2014

You wouldn't know it is a hostel when you arrive, but we like it like that. It's not your usual hostel where there are lots of people and communal areas and opportunities to meet people, but for us that's not what we are looking for, we like our privacy, and that's what we got. Although an old building I found it very clean. It was nice to stay. They were very accommodating in our late arrival (12:30am). Only a 3 block walk to bus 70 into downtown so convenient if you are touring

• 21st Jul 2014

The staff was really unfriendly and unprepared, go thing that I didn't had to depend on then for nothing :(

Standard hostel

Very Friendly Staff! Great location!

• 18th Jul 2014

No real complaints, paper thin walls in private room, and water constantly changing from hot to cold in the shower. Besides that, great stay.

Great times i recommend it to anyone stopping by NO

• 14th Jul 2014