India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

It was okay; very minimal. Stayed in a private double room ensuite which was a bunk bed with a larger bed on the bottom. Would have preferred a normal double bed for a couple for $100/night. Towels are not included even in the ensuite and you can't rent them, you have to pay $5 each which we thought was quite high. They could've done more for that price which is more hotel-price. But good location, especially for JazzFest the price was reasonable. Not super clean, but not dirty either.

All dorms were booked on Hostelworld so I had to book into a private room. When I got there the guy at the reception told me that there was dorms available and changed it for me. But he said that I couldn't use my $ 11 deposit that I already paid for it? So I kinda lost out on that money. Other than that the hostel is pretty average. I had to wait half an hour to check out and the hostel is not the cleanest you' ll ever see.

Great staff, great location, cool people, cheap breakfast til 1 and free coffee.....I'll be back

• 1st May 2015

India House feels like my New Orleans home now. I love it's relaxed and easy atmosphere, artistic personality, and the great diversity of people who pass through there every day. It's easy access to the streetcar and to Canal St. makes it easy to get to wherever you want to go. No hassles!

• 30th Apr 2015

Staying at the India House is an incredible way to see one of the most fun cities in the US, especially if you don't know anyone in New Orleans. You will easily meet fun, friendly, interesting people here. You can hang at the hostel for awhile, then grab a crew, hop on the streetcar that stops less than a block away, and party downtown. The India House will quickly become your home away from home in NOLA, which is a valuable thing to have when traveling in an unfamiliar city.

• 30th Apr 2015

India house rocks.. Great community pool out back, they cook hot meals for the guests.. There's a stage out back.. Just book it, it's a great party!!

• 29th Apr 2015

What an awesome place! Basically everything you need is right here! It's easy to get to the busier parts of the city on the streetcars, but the hostel itself is in a quiet neighborhood, which was really nice. We had an awesome stay, loved the atmosphere.

• 29th Apr 2015

The place had a good vibe like a bunch of friends hanging out. The sleeping quarters were less than greatl. We killed a live roach before our bags were unpacked. That didn't freak me out too much because I'm from Florida! The overstuffed chair was dirty and spewing forth stuffing. Also a cushioned seat was a bit grimy. Too bad cuz it wouldn't take much to have clean furnishings. The bathroom a bit shabby w/plywood but clean enuf to shower w/flip-flops. Funky is cool, dirty is uncool. Fun place!

• 28th Apr 2015

Nice and friendly staff, good value for money. Couldn't book rooms in person had to use the net which was annoying. But over all was a great place to stay

• 28th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Everyone on the staff was very helpful, it's in a great location and the people staying were very cool. I will be back.

• 27th Apr 2015

This was my second time staying at India House and I loved it just as much the second time. It's a really cool, clean, friendly hostel.

I stayed in a 12 bed dorm but there were on 6 lockers.

I have stayed in many hostels and can honestly say this is the worst I've stayed in over the last few years. The staff were over-worked, the room was boxy and mouldy, the facilities are nearing the end of their life. I actually had to use a plunger on a toilet when someone else had clogged it and it wouldn't flush. The bathroom facilities are pretty gross. If it had not been for the fact that Jazzfest is a very expensive time to stay in NOLA I would definitely have stayed somewhere else.

Great people. Helluva good time.

• 24th Apr 2015

Great place

This is a good place to meet people. The pool and yard area are a nice touch, the common rooms are homey, and the kitchen is fully functional. There are a limited number of bathrooms in the main part of the house, and they're not always extremely clean. Some of the staff is not the most friendly, but others are exceptional.

not for everyone but fantastic if you value real people and good times

Good hostel

Every person of the staff are not really friendly.. But the atmosphere with the others travelers is awesome if you're not too shy. I was traveling alone and I met awesome people there.

While the location made it hard to park with limited space, the rest of the experience was quite pleasant. We only spent one night, but I would do it again. Staff was nice, and was helpful. Place was clean and maintained. Even the guests were friendly.

• 18th Apr 2015