India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

At my arrival, I had to wait for 15 minutes for someone to come to the front desk to help me. Once he found my reservation, it took over 30 minutes for him to find an open bed. I requested to stay in an all-female room. But, no beds were left so I had to take one in a mixed gender room. Additionally, I had seen their website before coming and did not see anywhere that there is an $80 min for credit cards. I wanted to pay with my card, but had to get pull together cash last minute. BAD experience

• 20th Jun 2014

a delightful change from the usual international hotels. the private room was spotless - though it could have done with a table and 2 chairs and also a clothes rail Ian

Electrical outlet would not work without disconnecting AC and AC was not cooling too well. Fan would only work with the light on. [Congo] overall I enjoyed my stay and the eclectic atmosphere was nice.

• 19th Jun 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of our room. We stayed in a suite with a private restroom, in what we were told was their newest building. It was well worth the extra money for the suite. Location can't be beat - seems like a rougher neighborhood, but you are within walking distance to trolley which will take you straight to the French Quarter, and I felt safe walking around at night. Fun atmosphere and great place to meet people from all over the world.

Very nice personell and great location, 20 mins to french quarter

• Austria

Sad to go, great staff... wonderful areas for all kinds of hanging out. BIGGEST draw back is that it is so comfortable at the hostel, it can be hard to get out and about!!

Worst booking system of all time. Bookings seem to be recorded on post its and scraps of paper. Staff are generally friendly, but at times rude. This is a great place to meet other travelers, but they need update their booking system to the 21st century

• 17th Jun 2014

A great and unique place. The Staff and facilities were great and the pool is awesome. I would definitely come back.

• 16th Jun 2014

It's the small things that makes a good hostel. India Hostel did not deliver! If you had a question that the staff saw as obvious they answered you back as if you were stupid. Many hostels have free breakfast, here they overcharged. You couldn't eat outside because of 1 mio. flies. This is the first place they charge for towel. "It's yours the rest of your life." -"maybe, but I don't need it. It takes space in my backpack, and in the rest of the world it is included."

• Denmark

Great to have a break from hostel chains. This hostel certainly has character enough activities to spend all day there.

• 16th Jun 2014

I had a great time at this hostel, the staff were very helpful no matter what time it was. The only negative I have was that there were a lot of flys about in the outside area. The bins could do with having lids on them to stry and stop this. I just took my food inside to eat. Overall great.

• 14th Jun 2014

If you are travelling by yourself, just like me, this is definately the hostel for you. Sure it isn't the cleanest and you can't see your reflection on the floor, the ATMOSPHERE, is excelent! It is conveniently located to a street car that takes you straight to all the places you want to go! You will meet loads of new people just by sitting in the outside area, and trust me you will be having a blast! Great helpful staff and the perfect place for travellers! I will be going back!

Was a really good place to stay!

• 14th Jun 2014
  • South Africa

good but small

I think I already reviewed this place (as I extended my stay, so had two bookings), but it's so good I'll review it again: Fantastic. Easy street car into town, really great atmosphere, pool, good staff, well equipped kitchen, I could go on, but there is too much good about this place. Only complaint: The chess set is missing 2 knights, 2 bishops, both queens, a rook and a few pawns.

Everything you need! The room was very clean. There are staff on site 24hrs. Great breakfast and dinner made every day for $5-6 a plate. Complimentary coffee. Use of kitchen. Laundry facilities. Plus a SWIMMING POOL! There is also plenty of outdoor space for hanging out. Convenient location near the Canal St streetcar line. And really at an excellent price.

• 11th Jun 2014

Had a wonderful time at India House!! Would definitely go back or recommend to a friend! Lots of young travelers with interesting lives and stories. I easily made friends to explore the French Quarter with, and have stayed in touch with since leaving. Staff is helpful and easy going. Location is a short walk to the tram which drops you off right down town in New Orleans. Perfect way to enjoy a beautiful, energetic city!

• 11th Jun 2014

Excellent hostel, has it all: great location (1 minute walk from Street Car to French Quarter), good wifi, powerful aircon, well equipped laundry room, good dorms, good lockers, fantastic atmosphere. The only thing I can't comment on is the food because I didn't try it, I used the excellent kitchen to cook my own food.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. Fantastic :)

• 10th Jun 2014

Whilst my rating only amounts to 80%, they say the people you meet makes the place, and India House sure did facilitate this in allowing me to meet some of the most wonderful people who I'm hoping will remain friends for the long haul. Whilst I've stayed at cleaner, friendlier staffed, and more security conscious hostels, if you're a tad proactive this hostel will capture your heart like it did mine