India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

I stayed at India house on recommendation from a friend and loved it. It hosts a lot of travellers and although the beds aren't as nice and facilities a little dirty it doesn't matter because you are always meeting cool people so you don't spend too much time in your room. Haven't met one person from India house that didn't make heaps of friends and memories. I suggest to anyone looking for a good time, and will stay there again for sure. P.S. food is cheap and ace!

The private room we stayed in had holes in the wall which was the only disappointing part. Other than that everyone at the hostel was friendly and fun. We had a great time!

• 28th Feb 2015

All the rooms have bunk beds... I didn't see that written anywhere on website. That was the only complaint... Everything else was great

• 28th Feb 2015

We love this place! Everyone is really friendly and you immediately feel at home. Totally awesome and we'll be back!

• 28th Feb 2015

The atmosphere and people were great, but I would highly appreciate taking care of the bathrooms and showers more as they were breaking every couple of hours. Also, there is not enough of them, but I don't think much can be done about it. Thank you, it was a nice stay!

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Latvia

Hey this place is a hostel, you know what you're getting when you book. Thrifty college students or hostel people you got em all. Great location right by the streetcars. Definitely check out this hostel!!!

• 27th Feb 2015

Staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. Some weird bad smells at reception and various areas.

I had a great stay at India House. A true NOLA vibe about this place! The facilities on offer were great and an amzing outdoor area. If you're looking for a fun, social time in NOLA, India House is the place to start!

It was a very good hostel, with a awesome atmosphere and great and helpful Staff! Thank you!

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Poland

Great party hostel. But not enough electricity to power the heaters in my dorm, therefore the power fused almost nightly resulting in extremely cold conditions. Some staff helpful about this, others just blamed the guests. Would recommend for summer or heavy drinking, not in winter.

India House Hostel is a very special place. I felt totally at home, and met quite a few really fantastic people. The staff is helpful and friendly, and the facilities are absolutely awesome -- huge value for your money. I stayed in a private/ensuite room, so I can't speak for the shared dorms, but all the guests staying there seemed happy and satisfied!

• 20th Feb 2015

I came alone and left with friends. I have never stayed in a hostel before, and I am glad that this was my first experience in one. If your a first timer (or second, third, etc.), I would highly recommend this place. The location is great, the staff was helpful and you can expect to make a few friends while your staying.

• 19th Feb 2015

This hostel is an amazing place to stay at in New Orleans; the location is great, the guests are friendly, there is a little pool, and the outside area is nice to hang out and have a drink; they also serve very good and cheap food.

• 19th Feb 2015

Coldest night I've spent in a hostel. Can't speak for all the room but the 12 bed mixed dorm I think it was called "praise" was freezing with only one working small portable heater and no extra blankets available,although the staff were pretty friendly the running of the hostel seemed quite unorganised with from what I could see there was just one staff member per shift resulting in lots of waiting around to check in/out. Interesting hostel that has a old community feel but wouldn't stay again

Great hostel with a great atmosphere. The place is a little run down and not that clean, but if that's not too important to you and you want to be in a place where you can have a good time and meet people then India house is great. Will definitely come back

I have been there alone with my baby, 8 months old. It is not exactly well prepared for receiving children but I knew that beforehand. The personnel (but not always and not everyone) is in general quite friendly and helpful. Anyways it is a cool place to stay and I would certainly recommend it also for the cost/value benefit and for the position not far away from the centre and with the street car very close by.

This is a hostel for people who feel comfortable in "alternative" environments. I do, and I certainly enjoyed it. That having been said, it is not for everybody. I would heartily endorse the place for people who are comfortable around younger people, and who enjoy being open to talking to and interacting with new folks. The food is good and affordable and there is an ATM on the premises. The internet works well too.

Good hostel - private rooms are spacious and fairly comfortable. The courtyard is unique and a nice communal space. Some staff weren't very hospitable, though. We went during a busy time, and they seemed really stressed and willing only to do the bare minimum in terms of service. It's a hostel, it's New Orleans, it gets busy. Staff should learn how to deal with this while remaining friendly and helpful. The walls adjoining private rooms to dorms are thin and noise is a problem.

Staff always seemed to be in a bad mood and there was always a line at the front desk. They overbooked our dorm so someone moved my stuff off my bed and took my tooth brush. Can't complain too much for the price but it's still bad that they only accept cash under $80

Would recommend to all travelers. They have breakfast and dinner for reasonable prices and the staff are all very friendly.