India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

It's convenient to get everywhere by bus. Bus stop is 1 minute away. Love this place. It's the best choice for poor students ^^

I planned to stay for one night, but loved it so much I extended my stay for one more night before going onto my destination. I then booked a room on my way back through from my vacation because I enjoyed the people, the facilities and the environment so much! It will always be my first place to look when I need to stay in New Orleans.

• 19th Mar 2015

I had a fantastic time staying at India House. I especially loved the meals prepared by the Hostel's chefs. I would definitely return to India House in the future and will recommend it to my friends.

• 18th Mar 2015

Had a good time in Nola. The India House was definetely the right choice!

• Austria

I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MUST RAISE YOUR PRICES ON HOLIDAYS BUT DOUBLING THE PRICES IS TOO MUCH. I PAID $160.00 FOR 2 NIGHTS FOR A ROOM THAT DID NOT HAVE VENTILATION AND A FAN THAT DID NOT WORK IN ADDITION, ONE EVENING,. THERE WAS NO HOT WATER AND I COULD NOT TAKE A SHOWER. ONE STAFF OFFER ED TO CHANGE MY ROOM. I WOULD HAVE HAD TO MAKE MY PACK AGAIN, THEN DRESSED UP, GET OUT OF THE BUILDING TO GO TO ANOTHER ONE. WELL I WAS TOO TIRED TO DO THAT.

• 16th Mar 2015

The atmosphere in the Hostel is great and the decoration very cozy. Reminds that period of love and peace and people just get into this vibe. The only criticism I have is with the cleanliness, maybe because it was St. Patrick's and Spring Break week and hard to manage, but people were drinking and eating in the rooms and nobody said nothing although they had to go to the rooms to show for new guests. And some food containers were all marked black because of the moisture in the kitchen.

Very good hostel with excellent value for the money! All of the facilities were very well kept and the hostel definitely has a young vibe surrounding it. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this place to any other young budget travellers!

• 16th Mar 2015

Amazing hostel enjoyed my stay a lot. very clean , friendly staff, nice facilities

• 15th Mar 2015

very convenient. great atmosphere. clean rooms.

It's not a clean hostel. Feels like I was in a old thrift shop. Above me was a bed with a lot of old clothes and smell really really bad. The price is ok, but things like this bother me.

This place is awesome. It's right next to canal street so it's easy to get most places. Staff is helpful and friendly. Huge common area for people to meet and hang out. Relaxed atmosphere- big kitchen to use. I've already recommended friends to stay if they're in New Orleans!

Great time, friendly staff!!

• 14th Mar 2015

Everything was awesome. Our private room wasn't as nice as the 12 bed dorm room which was surprising, but no complaints there! One thing I have to say is one of the workers from Wisconsin was pretty rude and put off a bad vibe, who was unfortunately the first guy we talked to at the hostel. Other than him, everything was pleasant and I would return!

• 14th Mar 2015

This was my second time staying at the India House, the first time was 6 years ago my wife and I had a blast then so we decided we would go again and it has only gotten better. The only downside of this place is the location, it is pretty far from the quarter or garden district or any other neighborhood you really want to hang out in; however, it is super close to public transportation and that makes it well worth it. It would be great if you had a bike or scooter. Great place Great times!

• 13th Mar 2015

This hostel has a great common area with a good community environment. It's not really close to the French Quarter but you can easily take the street car there. We stayed in a private twin room and it was clean but tiny.

India House is fantastic and made our stay most enjoyable.

• 10th Mar 2015

I did not stay at the hostel. I had to cancel my reservation. I cannot comment on the service since I have not been there yet.

• 10th Mar 2015

I really wanted to love this hostel because it had such a great vibe, but I didn't enjoy our room at all. We booked a private four person with an ensuite bathroom for two nights. The shower had no fan, which caused the room to stay humid and damp the entire time we were there even if we tried to leave the main door open to let air out. The water also easily spilled out and kept the floor of the bathroom wet. Beds were also uncomfortable and very noisy.

Very handy location with the streetcar right there and the convenience of in house meals if you want them. Spring break in a hostel is always going to be different.

This was one of the best hostels I've been to. I really appreciated the atmosphere of the hostel. Somehow, it seems to suit New Orleans, with nice old houses and casual, inviting common areas. It doesn't have too much of a party atmosphere, but it's still lively. It's fairly large, but somehow doesn't feel like a huge hostel, I guess because the hostel is spread over several buildings but all meeting in a common outdoor area. Nice location, too, once you figure out the streetcar.