India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Amazing hostel, amazing staff. It was the perfect location and the cleanest hostel I have been in. The rooms had just the right amount of people and space. The staff were so helpful, almost like having a free tour guide service. Can't wait to go back.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Fantastic location, great atmosphere and environment, accommodating staff . Truly a unique New-Orleans experience.

• 11th Jul 2014

One of the best places I've ever stayed! The staff was so helpful and nice. The food was affordable and delicious. The pool and grounds were kept clean. It was a great experience!

• 10th Jul 2014

Love the India House! Nice big rooms, nice beds, nice living and outdoor area's. Lovely people, and they keep the place very clean.

I, as a senior lady(70+)traveling alone, I was very confortable with the younger guest at India House. Would do it all over again

• 10th Jul 2014

Very nice atmosphere and delicious homecooked dinner for only 5$ Probably one of the best places in New Orleans to meet fellow backpackers

Writing this review as I'm killing time waiting for my bus to Memphis and hating the idea of leaving this place. It's easily the best hostel I've stayed at. All the facilities you'd need from a hostel, a great atmosphere and unbelievably friendly and accommodating staff. (Shout out to Melissa for her help and friendly attitude.) 10/10 would recommend this place.

I expected a friendly place and found only a business. Although I stayed only one night so maybe my feedback is biased... Plus, at 31 I feel too old for this kind of place. But the truth is, beds are really not comfortable at all and I didn't sleep well !

• 9th Jul 2014

A fine hostel, book ahead

• 8th Jul 2014

This hostel has it's own special atmosphere and the staff is helpful. I didn't like it too much, just because I'm not the going cray drinking kind of traveling type. But it looked like people were having a good time. The staff was there 24/7 which I found really helpful when you have to leave 6 am. Its located just next to the streetcar.

India House is awesome. Great for young travellers. I felt right at home.

• 7th Jul 2014

So this hostel had extremely nice rooms that would make me want to stay here again... and then they had really old poor rooms that make me not want to return. If I were to stay at this Hostel again I would hope for nicer staff and request a specific room that is one of the newer/updated rooms with AC.

• 6th Jul 2014

We stayed in a private room with a bathroom which made all the difference. It was quite & easy. However, the staff seemed to be clueless most of the time and almost worked in slow motion. I avoided asking for help or questions because I didn't want to be met with a rude attitude or a blank stare as if asking what time the trolley typically runs was the weirdest question they'd ever heard. Anyway, The private rooms were great but the staff made our stay a bit uncomfortable.

• 6th Jul 2014

A really good backpackers facility- good feel.

• Couple, 41+

Environment is very chill, LOVE THE POOL. We stayed in Zambezi, and honestly my ONLY complaint is that our fitted sheet was not the right size of our bed so it wouldn't stay tucked, and you end up sleeping on the plastic mattress cover most of the night-STICKY. But seriously, other than that everything was great.

• 5th Jul 2014

Cheap, but the private rooms are pretty rough and its far from anything worth doing. Streetcar takes forever so we ended up cabbing everywhere. Our room literally had a big hole in the wall, and the dusty old air conditioner made me sick. Staff are 50/50- some are lovely but others are rude and indifferent.

The private room is a shack near a noisy filthy fountain that has a hook to lock the inside of two peices of plywood acting as a door and a padlock for the outside. There is ONLY a bed a reading lamp and a ledge! The bathrooms and showers are unisex no privacy. The 8 bed women's dorm was spacious clean and decent with a real lock. Didn't like the wood platform leading to the shower but it was private and clean. There always was a group hanging out in the back. Won't be back EVER!!!

• 4th Jul 2014

Great hostel. I would stay here again. Enjoyed hanging out in the lounge area, and meeting new people. The staff was very friendly, and accommodating. The shower is a little busted, and it's a trek to get home from Bourbon Street when there are no taxis available. Had a great time though!!!

Need to fix air conditioner in all rooms. Food was great. 75 percent of the staff was friendly and bad knowledge of the area

• 2nd Jul 2014

Some staff members were more knowledgeable about the area and thus more helpful than others. The facilities were generally good, lots of cool things on the premises and lots of common spaces. One of the beds I had was very soft (would bottom out if i slept on my side) and I could feel springs poking me; it is probably due for a replacement.