India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

The hostel has a good atmosphere, whether you are in NOLA to party, study or work. It's excellent that you can buy meals made there and the staff is really helpful. I recommend India Hostel for sure

• 8th Jan 2014
  • Sweden

over all i liked the place.. had a great feel and would reccomend it.. but the rooms and beds are filthy. rooms never get cleaned. and the staff need to learn to smile. travellers dont wanna rock up after a days travel and deal with ur moods. lifes not hard....

• 7th Jan 2014

India House is a little rough on the edges: e.g. If you are in a dorm, you must exit to use a bathroom/shower (unheated) in a different building. However, I still rate this as a superior hostel experience. The dorm room price is about the lowest you can find anywhere in the U.S. Yet the location is excellent, the staff are caring and hardworking and maintain an efficient and clean hostel. Abundant personal touches.

Our private room smelt like someone had smoked a pack a day in there for the last week. We were there during one of the recent cold snaps and the hostel was VERY cold and heating was inadequate to keep the common areas comfortable. Good atmosphere and met some great travellers there. Has a 'hip' run-down vibe but some more cleanliness could be made.

• 5th Jan 2014

the hostel was constantly cold they had radiators which hardly heated up anything. the room was always cold I was always cold and wore my coat all day. The dining table was dirty and sticky with grease. the shower facilities are quite basic and there is only one shower for 10 people! however I meet some real cool people there and socially the hostel is really cool

• 4th Jan 2014

You may think this place is cheap but think again. Breakfast is not free and they charge $6 for a toasted egg and ham sandwich! $5 for towel rental! (Walmart sell them for less) and $1 per 15 minutes to use their computer! Additionally, security is non existent and the staff are either rude or disinterested. All they seem to want is my money without offering a good service. This is one to avoid.

Surely bring Extra blankets because in the winter it gets really cold.. Day or night... It makes the idea of being out of the shower wet horrifying.

• 2nd Jan 2014

I had an amazing time I would definitely recommend this hostel to my friends as Lon as they keep their valuables in their car or on their person at all times. A woman who shared a room with us had we phone and two iPad stolen from her locker in the hall. I heard their lock was wimpy, but it is pretty upsetting Someone came by with intent on breaking into lockers. Again, my time was great! :)

• 31st Dec 2013

Staff is awesome! They have an inofficial hostel-cat which is just awesome. ceanliness was not so awesome. Especially in the colder times of the year, the dorms are not really well-heated. pretty un-awesome. but overall, pretty decent hostel with excellent staff and facilities!

I know the staff is overworked but it would help if they smiled more or showed a bit of customer service. They were largely absent during my stay. Although the housekeeping was phenomenal, best housekeeping staff in any hostel I have experienced ever.

• 29th Dec 2013

Mama roach lost a son in our room.

• 26th Dec 2013

The relaxed atmosphere may have meant it felt a little bit grubby in places but if you want the genuine backpacking experience i couldn't recommend this place enough. Awesome people, great cheap food, a wonderful place to hang out in the evenings. I would give this place 100% but i've tried to be objective with the ratings

India House Hostel is impregnated with a post-hippie spirit of some sort. You feel safe and secure among this ever renewing bunch of traveller coming from all around the globe.

• 25th Dec 2013

Got a private room/shared washrooms at first. Was pretty great. Switched to private room with insuite washroom. Wow. Amazing. And decent meals for cheap. And free Christmas dinner that was huge. Great atmosphere. Maybe too many people sitting around watching TV, but if that's what they like, that's what they like. Easy to strike up conversation with people too.

• 25th Dec 2013

I was there over Christmas. Very cool atmosphere. There were a lot of chill people to meet who went out together every night. They had a huge free Christmas dinner which was unexpected but awesome. My friends and I got a private room. It was clean, but there was mold in the bathroom and we couldnt stop sneezing when we were showering. We tried to change rooms but the whole place was booked for the holidays. Besides that the hostel was awesome and I loved the vibe.

This was a great hostel, nice twin rooms with ensuite, a bit cold in winter but not too bad. Good atmosphere and the Christmas dinner they put on for everyone was fantastic!

Typical American hostel - good deal, a little dirty, and full of partiers. I would not stay at this hostel again if going to WDW. I would pay the extra money to stay at a hotel that was closer, or at least one that has a free shuttle to the parks. I took the city bus to the parks which was pleasantly feasible but couldn't stay past 9:30pm, due to the bus schedule. Cab ride was about $30 - would have rather spend $60 on a closer hotel. Beaut. location on water, and very cool dogs.

• 23rd Dec 2013

My 3rd trip there in 2013. I love New Orleans and the India House Hostel. They have started to feel like a family, and my trips to NOLA are always better because of the people I meet and the times we have at the hostel.

I think others reviewing this hostel havea problem differentiating between OLD and DIRTY. This hostel is in an OLD property but it's not dirty by any stretch, it's completely clean. My friend and i reserved a double which was nice and very reasonably priced. The people working there were very responsive and friendly and took care of every need promptly. And the breakfast was as delicious as you'd expect it to be in a town like New Orleans. Definitely would repeat!

• 18th Dec 2013

Towel price list should be clear at the reception and term & conditions.