India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Very short stay, only one night. However, I thought the place was very charming. It's of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I have already recommended the hostel to several other travelers I have met! If I return to New Orleans, I would definitely stay here again. Only complaint is the showers could be better, but there are several around the hostel, so the water pressure could be better in the other ones than it was in the one I used!

• 3rd Jun 2014

General feeling of being unwelcome.

• 3rd Jun 2014

Great hostel. Met a lot of great people and really good value for money. I spent 5 nights there and could have spent another 5. I will definatley be returning.

I loved it! We were there for a roller derby game and what a perfect place to stay!

• 31st May 2014

The sheets had black marks on them, couldn't tell if they were stained that was or just plain dirty. Also it would be nice if there was a bar to hang clothes on in the room not just a luggage stand. Our room was constantly freezing cold and we couldn't change that without possibly messing with everyone else's room.

• 30th May 2014

We got one of the new private rooms. $55 a night and we had a great shower and a Fan. Pool was awesome! As was being able to buy laundry powder insure to do washing. Streetcar is right out front. Cab to the French quarter is under $15.

One of the best hostels I have stayed in a long time

• 29th May 2014

You get what you pay for and if you can walk there's no need for cablecars or taxis. Good atmosphere and the pool is a really good plus. I would stay there any time. Rooms are really clean and also the bathrooms, but the common areas not so much.

I was expecting a really awful place but it far succeeded my imagination. It was a beautiful hostel and I would go again!

• 29th May 2014

Sheets were not clean in either of the 2 rooms we had and our food taken from the fridge even though labelled with name and departure date.

I don't usually care about the other stuff on the list. I just like having a place to sleep and the atmosphere to meet people and be comfortable. With India House Hostel I really enjoyed and loved the small community atmosphere that this place creates and engenders. I've stayed at plenty of hostels in major cities in the US and this is probably my favorite. Yes, it's not close to the action but it doesn't matter as it's close to transportation to get to where you want to be.

• 25th May 2014

My friend and I, both 26-year old women, had a very pleasant stay at the India House hostel for three nights. We were a little bit apprehensive about the very youth-hostel vibe of the place, and were concerned that it would be very noisy late into the night, but it was not. We were fortunate to have a room that was far enough from the pool deck that we were totally undisturbed by the noise of the guests drinking by the pool until the early morning hours. The location is very convenient.

• 24th May 2014

I´ve been there to Memorial Day weekend, 2014. Good points: excellent price, flexible check-in time, great people, best location, staff nice and help, best prices to tour. Bad points: two bathroom to all people in the hostel to share with male and female,unclean, the staffs come to female rooms sometimes to help new guest. The best one is because I was traveling alone and I met nice people there to hang out.

Great atmosphere, good location away from the touristy madness of the Quarter but close to the trolley on Canal Street, free parking, and a POOL! I didn't realize how great an asset that would be until I felt the New Orleans humidity. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful, but they often seemed really busy -- you just need to catch them at the right time! Great value for your money; I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone planning a trip to the Big Easy.

Great place and people but a little lick of paint would do no harm.

• 22nd May 2014

Cheap party hostel for a party town. Not a very friendly vibe on arrival.People coming and going at all hours.Good place for meeting people to party with.The staff seem a bit aloof /not very helpful when asking for directions or finding out about tours /not interested in making sure people have a good stay.They don't except credit cards but do have an ATM.Breakfast not included.Bathrooms dodgy, clean sometimes,no lockers.You get what you pay for and not much sleep even when you're not partying.

The atmosphere in this hostel is awesome, everyone I met was really interesting and cool.

I stayed at the India House for 6 nights in May 2014 in the 8 men room. To make it short... I had an amazing time there and I would definitely recommend it ! It is right next to two citiycars which will take you either to French Quarter or to the cemeteries and the city park. The room was clean, the kitchen was great, the restrooms were always clean , you could always find great people to hang out with, the pool was lovely, aah I had a great time there.

• 21st May 2014
  • Austria

Great atmoshphere; however, the statt was unfriendly at some times. they have 7 people living there as staff members but there was no coffee there half the time (how much effort is it to make coffee even if you're not on duty?) Also, points off for only using disposable , cups and so on... I felt bad about the environment every time I had food there. While they do provide a kitchen, there was no basics such as salt or oil there which made cooking quite impossible.

My first hostel experience and I loved it! Pool, bar, laid back staff, very artsy awesome vibe. Fridges to keep your own food and booze. Not in a busy part of town, but the canal st trolley is RIGHT next to it so you can get through New Orleans on the cheap. Also, if you new a cab, use United. Highly recommend India House! Lots of accommodations for very little money and no lockout time. Can't say enough good things.

• 20th May 2014