India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

My friend and I stayed in a private room. It had old furnishings and bedding but everything was extremely clean. The sheets smelled like bleach and the mattress was nice. The AC worked great considering the super hot temperatures. The bathrooms were totally functional and I never had to wait to take a shower or use the toilet. There were cleaning ladies there every day of my stay. The kitchen was great, too. Staff was helpful. Cool people and great vibes. Loved my stay-especially for the price!

• 5th Aug 2014

Great place to stay, right next to the Streetcar stop. Clean pool and helpful staff.

Bit too grimy and dirty for anyone who isn't a student. Very communal Staff not particularly approachable However good breakfast, easy to meet people.

• 4th Aug 2014

Incredible place. If you're in Nola, doesn't matter if you're on budget or not, stay here at least a couple of days to meet the most interesting group of travelers. I made many friends, from all over the world.

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Nepal

I stayed here last year and had a wonderful time, but it seems like some of the staff this time around was a bit rude and surly. Nothing too bad, but definitely a change from last year.

This was one of the best hostels I stayed at. It was conveniently located next to the street car line. Everyone I met at the hostel was friendly, both guest and staff. Also considering the amount of drinking that was involved at the hostel I expected the common areas outside to be covered with alcohol bottles the next day but no it was cleaned thoroughly. I was so pleased by the hostel that I gave them a gift of mixed candy when I left which I have only done for one other hostel.

One staff member was rude every time she was approached. The kitchen was shared and some people didn't clean after themselves. There was no shows as advertised. The rooms was basic. The AC central wasn't as cool. You can hear the people around you talking while sleeping in the room. This was most inconvenience because they woke us up every morning.

• 31st Jul 2014

This place has all the quirks of a fantastic hostel. This hostel is lovely and ramshackle. The place is older so it doesn't look sparkly and clean but it is. The vibe of the place is relaxed and laid back. The pool is fantastic to sit around on a hot day! Highly recommend staying here. Being out of the French quarter is almost a good thing and the cable car is so close that it doesn't matter.

• 30th Jul 2014

Best Hostel I stayed in on my America trip. Easy trip into and out of town. Beds and rooms are good. Staff very friendly and breakfast for $6 (Cooked) really good and dinner for $5 each night even better. Couldn't recommend this place enough!

Staying at the India House was my first expirence stayin in the hostel, and it was wonderful. The location for this place couldn't be more perfect. The night life of New Orleans was either a short walk or street car ride away. The staff was amazing and so helpful. What I loved most about it was that you had to be a student from the U.S. Or from out of the country, so everyone stayin there were interested in meeting people and having fun. Staying here made my expirence and trip to NOLA perfect!

• 30th Jul 2014

I loved the atmosphere of the place. The home cooked meals were great, and the courtyard and pool were wonderful places to relax and meet other guests. The cats, art, and especially courtyard really made the place unique and enjoyable.

• 30th Jul 2014

best hostel i've ever stayed at. after walking the city for hours, you can relax in the pool and at 6 sharp dinner is served for only 5 dollars! usually it's a local specialty too! evenings are a blast, nobody on phone or laptop, but instead sharing beers and stories and having lots of fun! Read some reviews on how staff is unfriendly and aloof, this is not the case! I admit they are not backpackers and don't share their life stories or hang out w/ guests. but they are there when you need them

This hostel was very unclean (not totally unexpected from a hostel, but moreso than it should have been). There were cockroaches in the rooms and showers, and trash in the hallway wasn't removed frequently, so it smelled bad. Staff wasn't very friendly or informative/helpful.

Had a private dorm with my friend, was really nice with an ensuite. Location a little out, was not that convenient for 2 girls as the streets can be scary at night. We cabbed it everywhere after dark. Good wifi, good atmosphere :)

We abolutely loved this hostel! The property itself is so unique, with little cabins everywhere all centered around an outdoor communal area with a deck, trees and gorgeous pool! The staff offer great and cheap homemade meals 2x a day. The location was not as central as we wanted, but you are literally right next to a streetcar stop so the French Quarter is just 10 minutes away. Though the rooms were not super, I would still HIGHLY recommend this hostel to anyone.

This hostel has a great outgoing atmosphere. Staff knew everything you needed to know about nola and the pool was great to cool down! Don't worry about the distance from the French quarter as it's an easy tram ride away.

Really fun atmosphere - had sucha great time Everyone was so friendly and trustworthy - left my iPod in the bathroom and it was handed in!

Best hostel for Atmosphere, value for money and facilities I have been to in America. Will recommend this place to any one thinking of going to New Orleans!! Cooked breakfast ($6) quality and cooked dinner ($5) even better. Easy tram ride into and out of town about 5 - 10mins and easy cab ride in and out of town cost about $10 to bourbon street. Totally recommend this place.

Great vibe, great people, great food on offer. I'd definately come back if I have the chance and recommend it to others!

• 24th Jul 2014

The pool was awesome, a godsend in the New Orleans heat!

• 24th Jul 2014