India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Pros - Excellent location, solid wifi, private rooms are very good value, plenty of common areas and facilities, lots of people at any one time. Cons - why on earth was there a door between us and another room with a huge gap at the bottom? Could hear everything as if we were in there with them. It's a party hostel so if, like us, you go to bed early to get up for an early plane you're screwed as there's little let up. At 3am waiting for a cab to airport - two people bleeding on doorstep.

A good hostel to meet other travellers. They have breakfast from as low as $3 everyday and a $5 dinner which was awesome. The swimming pool is great to cool off from the hot sun. Great atmosphere

This is definitely a dirty party hostel. There are cockroaches and other bugs everywhere. The beds are very old and uncomfortable. There must be at least 100 people staying in this hostel so the kitchen, common rooms, bathrooms and pool are always busy and dirty. If you are looking for a place to party and don't care about having quiet hours or being clean then stay here. If you want something a little more civilized I would stay somewhere else.

I have never been in a hostel with such a good energy around, I like for both reason , price and location plus the energy was perfect to who used to travel alone that was my case. I recommend a hundred porcent.

It was Nice. 1 min walk to the street cars. 10 min to the center with the street cars. Runs often and I think the whole night as well. The staff was ok. Some were nice some not very friendly. The living room is cool and comfy. The rooms are ok but the beds are not amazing. 2 main bathrooms and 2 outside for 200 people that's a bit annoying. (Ok most of the time people are in and out so it's ok...). Laundry is good. Overall : I would recommend it !

Great experience!

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Peru

At my arrival, I had to wait for 15 minutes for someone to come to the front desk to help me. Once he found my reservation, it took over 30 minutes for him to find an open bed. I requested to stay in an all-female room. But, no beds were left so I had to take one in a mixed gender room. Additionally, I had seen their website before coming and did not see anywhere that there is an $80 min for credit cards. I wanted to pay with my card, but had to get pull together cash last minute. BAD experience

• 20th Jun 2014

a delightful change from the usual international hotels. the private room was spotless - though it could have done with a table and 2 chairs and also a clothes rail Ian

Electrical outlet would not work without disconnecting AC and AC was not cooling too well. Fan would only work with the light on. [Congo] overall I enjoyed my stay and the eclectic atmosphere was nice.

• 19th Jun 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of our room. We stayed in a suite with a private restroom, in what we were told was their newest building. It was well worth the extra money for the suite. Location can't be beat - seems like a rougher neighborhood, but you are within walking distance to trolley which will take you straight to the French Quarter, and I felt safe walking around at night. Fun atmosphere and great place to meet people from all over the world.

Very nice personell and great location, 20 mins to french quarter

• Austria

Sad to go, great staff... wonderful areas for all kinds of hanging out. BIGGEST draw back is that it is so comfortable at the hostel, it can be hard to get out and about!!

Worst booking system of all time. Bookings seem to be recorded on post its and scraps of paper. Staff are generally friendly, but at times rude. This is a great place to meet other travelers, but they need update their booking system to the 21st century

A great and unique place. The Staff and facilities were great and the pool is awesome. I would definitely come back.

• 16th Jun 2014

It's the small things that makes a good hostel. India Hostel did not deliver! If you had a question that the staff saw as obvious they answered you back as if you were stupid. Many hostels have free breakfast, here they overcharged. You couldn't eat outside because of 1 mio. flies. This is the first place they charge for towel. "It's yours the rest of your life." -"maybe, but I don't need it. It takes space in my backpack, and in the rest of the world it is included."

• Denmark

Great to have a break from hostel chains. This hostel certainly has character enough activities to spend all day there.

• 16th Jun 2014

I had a great time at this hostel, the staff were very helpful no matter what time it was. The only negative I have was that there were a lot of flys about in the outside area. The bins could do with having lids on them to stry and stop this. I just took my food inside to eat. Overall great.

• 14th Jun 2014

If you are travelling by yourself, just like me, this is definately the hostel for you. Sure it isn't the cleanest and you can't see your reflection on the floor, the ATMOSPHERE, is excelent! It is conveniently located to a street car that takes you straight to all the places you want to go! You will meet loads of new people just by sitting in the outside area, and trust me you will be having a blast! Great helpful staff and the perfect place for travellers! I will be going back!

Was a really good place to stay!

• 14th Jun 2014