India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

The location is near public transportation , but around the hostel is nothing. And the price is cheaper, area is clean. But everyone said the wifi is soooooo weak .

• 24th Oct 2014
  • Taiwan

Communal areas were a little run-down but were spacious, friendly and great for meeting fellow travellers. Good location, short tram car ride from french quarter. Private room with ensuite was above expectations, clean and in good condition.

Hostel common spaces had a lot of character and voodoo jazzy new orleans atmosphere, bedrooms were new and clean.

Very cheap and friendly accomodation. Easy transport to and from bourbon st at all times. Good social life with nice outside area. Bedding you are only given a sheet so can get cold at night. Is definitely good for travelling on a budget and would suggest to stay if travelling alone. Showers leave something to be desired so don't expect any pressure.

I am very satisfied with my stay there. I got a private room and paid for both beds to have some space to myself. I loved it! It was clean and safe enough for me - and a great value for the money. I loved that it was so easy to get downtown from that location! I would prefer if there was no smoking allowed on the premises.

Brilliant, vibrant European-style hostel where you will always be at home and able to party by the pool or cosy down on the sofas as you choose. The fact that swamp and plantation tours can be arranged by staff is a big plus. Very near the streetcar to the French Quarter. However, they really need more bathrooms & sockets, especially in the main house; and bring earplugs as there is no noise curfew and guests often stay up talking very late outside. Superb cheap meals served up twice daily.

This was my first time in a hostel and I really enjoyed it. I thought the toilets were really clean. The people at the hostel were amazing which made for a great experience. I will definitely recommend this place to anyone who goes to new orleans!

• 17th Oct 2014

OMG this hostel is so Freaking amazing...and the staff OMG they are wonderful. Serious bang for your buck and social life! Loved it and already planning to visit again!

• 17th Oct 2014

Nice newly renovated rooms and surprisingly large hostel. The pool was a welcome addition and the tram stop closeby was a great help,to get downtown quickly. The staff were slow, inefficient and quite unhelpful and unfriendly unfortunately, and the lack of any luggage room was a major disappointment - I didn't like leaving my luggage in the publicly accessible lobby.

Great place to say! Loved the atmosphere! I only wish someone had fixed the light in our room that was out for at least three days.

• 16th Oct 2014

Def a vagabond's haven. It's very affordable and good for just having a roof over your head at night. Lots of old pictures, art work, scribbles from travelers. Facilities are dated, well used, not well lit; common areas are cleaned daily but the walls still seem dingy and areas are dusty. Mattress was sunken in the middle; sheets and blankets were scratchy/excessively pilled. Backyard has a lot of trip hazards. Staff nice but not really friendly, had great convo with other travelers.

• 16th Oct 2014

Great staff, great atmosphere, great cat, great location, great food but not enuf toilets and showers to accommodate the gathering.

The most well run hostel I've ever stayed in, India House is doing everything right! Whilst I could write a longer review, I feel theres no need to as the first sentence sums everything up. - That is except to say that the atmosphere here is also amazing. It was such an awesome place to stay!

I love this place. It was so comfy and had no challenge of making me feel at home. Good people, great location; I will be visiting again!

• 13th Oct 2014

Taj the cat is the best feline ever.

The place had a good vibe and friendly atmosphere. The parking situation was a bit sketchy but the area was a good spot to be in for mid-city. A good place to hang out and meet people or stay with a big group of people. I would recomend to others and stay there again.

• 10th Oct 2014

Amazing hostel! Great atmosphere and nice big rooms - this hostel is such good value for money. Easy to get everywhere via the streetcar less than a block away and breakfast is served till 1pm which was great after a big night downtown. Thanks guys!

• 10th Oct 2014

A fantastic experience staying at India House. Really good atmosphere and a fine mix of travellers, people looking for work and aspiring musicians staying here. If you stay in the big dorms, bring your earplugs. For 17 bucks a night you cannot complain about some noise. The party factor is also high at this place. Staff is friendly and helpfull and I loved the pool :)

Overall a good spot. I had a private room with bath that was recently (cheaply) remodeled. Reasonably quiet at night. I think it was supposed to have Air Con, but it wasn't working. Did have a ceiling fan. Good Wi-Fi in the room. Decent breakfast and dinner for $5. Good social atmosphere to meet other travelers. Steps to the trolley for a 15 minute ride to the French Quarter. I recommend the 10 minute walk to Whole Foods on Broad St for better food and $1 gallons of water.

Good, well setup hostel. We had 2 nights here and then moved to an AirBnB. Was a homely, friendly hostel with good vibes