India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Loved it! Go here and have a great time. A little outside the center of the French Quarter but it is RIGHT next to the street car that runs until 2:30 in the morning. Only $1.50 one way and $3 for 24 hours! When I return to NOLA I'll be back here in an instant!

Quintessentially what all hostels should be! Absolutely loved it and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else on my next visit to NOLA! Thank you all :)

Dirty hostel. We checked into 10-bed mixed dorm for 1 night. Floor was full of garbage (dirty towels, rotten fruits, chips, beer cans...). There were signs about not consuming food in the rooms and keeping quiet after hours but staff don't really seem to care enough to reinforce rules. A group of girls staying in the same dorm decided it'd be a good idea to hang out and chat at midnight while few of us are trying to sleep. Bathrooms were not well-maintained. No hot water in taps.

Overall India House is severely lacking in the basics of cleanliness, facilities upkeep, and helpful staff.

Best hostel EVER!! Love this place. I've stayed here many times and now visit the city just for India House. The staff are like a family. In today's world of Hostel Internationals It is hard to find a TRUE backpackers hostel like this one. If you enjoy a true hostel experience you must come for a stay at India House.

Friendly and knowledgable staff! We stayed on thanksgiving and they made FREE turkey dinner for everyone. Lively atmosphere. A little far from the French Quarter but there is a trolley right outside that will take you there in 5 mins. Would stay here again

• 26th Nov 2015

Just a few parking lots, guests mainly have to find a spot in the streets. A table or shelve in the room would be nice, so we do not have to spread all our things on the floor.

• 26th Nov 2015

Really great place to stay. Easy enough to get into the city via the trolley. Great outdoor area. The staff cook cheap meals for dinner and breaky every day which is really good value for money. I stayed over thanksgiving and the staff put on a free thanksgiving meal for all the travelers that were there. I would definitely stay again

• 26th Nov 2015

Rich in history and character! People working there make all the difference. Perfectly located in mid-town for either Quarter or out to NOMA/City Park or the Cemeteries. Front desk is always staffed. While meals are not included, they have homemade meals (more than reasonably priced) available to buy as well as breakfast. Plus, there's always a hot cup of java in the kitchen. Extra toilets/showers, so you are never in bad position. I had never been before and now can't wait to go back.

It is cheap but people are not helpful. We did not have electricity on our first night and no one came to help us. When we arrived, we could not pay by credit card and were not told that in advance.

• 26th Nov 2015

India House is a lot of fun. Folks are friendly and outgoing. It's a great place to meet people from all over the world. The owners/managers/long term staff are fabulous. The desk staff are generally pretty good, too. The location is terrific....right off Canal St., with easy street car access to the Quarter. The hostel's main building is a gorgeous old house. It's not in the best of shape, but it's interesting and quirky. The outdoor spaces are gorgeous, and there's even a swimming pool

Had a great stay. Loud and lively house. Not for everyone but I loved it.

• 25th Nov 2015

Disgusting but friendly and fun

• Turkey

Great location right near Mid City with a tram right a block away! Met some amazing people, and re-kindled friendships with Mike, Mark, and Pocket! Thanks so much, everyone! You are a great group travelers!

• 25th Nov 2015

I was staying over Thanksgiving weekend. Lots of people coming and going. Although I needed to be moved to a different room during my stay, the staff made it super smooth for me. Staff was always responsive, helpful, respectful and prompt. 1/2 block from streetcar, 3 blocks from awesome music venue.

• 25th Nov 2015

Awesome place, awesome people, awesome atmosphere. Can't wait to go back. Making a point to be there for next Thanksgiving the meal was that good.

• 24th Nov 2015

The hostel was very easy to find and the staff is friendly and accommodating. As soon as I walked in, I felt like I was walking into my own home. Great atmosphere and vibe!

• 23rd Nov 2015
  • Philippines

India House is really well done. Organized, clean, safe and social. Affordable eats and great prices beds. The 4 person ensuite is great value.

Great stay at an awesome hostel! The bed was sunken in a tad, but one can get past that. Man, what a place!

• 21st Nov 2015

A warm and welcoming environment in a good location. Unfortunately, it has a hippy aesthetic without the ideals: every meal must be eaten with disposable plates, cups, spoons and silverware. The waste was unacceptable so we used our own backpacking dishware. Full sets of dishes and drinkware can be purchased for a few dollars at the thrift store.

• 20th Nov 2015