International House of Washington Reviews

1110 6th st. nw, Washington, DC, Washington DC, USA

This hostel was nice for our weekend trip. Free breakfast (cereal) was definitely a plus. Hidden fees were frustrating: $5 deposit/pp for bedsheets/blankets and $2/pp for towel rental. Particularly because the hostel required cash, this was unexpected, and these extra costs would have been nice to know beforehand. If these and other fees were not listed on Hostel World, it is still the hostel's responsibility to make sure they are being advertised fairly. Otherwise, thank you for the stay.

• 16th Jan 2016

It may be the best hostel that I've been in. Mostly because of the owner, everything was great. He said hostel world didn't add the taxes so the price was 2.5 dollars higher than the price that is shown in the Hostel World. Also he said that this problem don't occur in the other websites. But it was totally worth it.

• 16th Jan 2016

The space was great for a one night stay. I did not enjoy the hidden fees such as a $10 security deposit and $2 towel rental fee. These were not listed on the website and would have been nice to know ahead of time.

• 16th Jan 2016

The boss is very good, with breakfast provided as well as free souvenirs. The location is very good, near Convection Center Subway Station and several supermarkets, also, we just need to walk 20 minutes to White House.

• 15th Jan 2016

Everything was fine.

It was really nice and homey!! Very close to metro and bus stops and I walked to the National Mall every morning in the middle of winter with no problem. The hostel itself is just north of the Chinatown neighborhood which I liked because it was quiet at night. The manager is very nice and gives great recommendations on local sites and restaurants.

The hostel is in a great location (especially if you are going to an event at the Convention Center), the staff is very friendly and helpful, and our room was spacious and comfortable. Parking is right behind the building for $10/night, which was excellent. While the living areas were clean, some parts of the building and the dishes were a bit grungy, and there could have been more offered for breakfast. Overall, a very good quality for the amount we paid!

• 5th Jan 2016

It was really comfortable and clean hostel! The room was.. perfect! It was also very cheap. Everyone was kind there!

Location is great, very close to subway. owner is nice man

• 29th Dec 2015
  • China

This is a wonderful hostel! The location is perfect. Ron, the host of the hostel is friendly. The room is big and clean.

Great place. Friendly staff. Good internet. Comfortable atmosphere. Staff however should make sure breakfast is ready prior to 8am

• 14th Dec 2015

Gorgeous location in the DC historical area, great price ($30+), quiet. A fridge and microwave in downstairs room where I stayed!! Small but nice kitchen. Safeway food mart a block away! No need to waste your money to dine in overpriced local restaurants. Subway is two block away! Nice stuff. Free wi fi. Strongly recommend.

• 14th Dec 2015
  • Russia

I was not given a tour nor explained all features available to me in the facility. I had to accidentally learn about the self-serve kitchen, the luggage locker in the basement and the computer section. The song being played bothered and if I am not mistaken it was this one song that played over-and-over again and sounded so foolish. Apart from that I had a great stay, location was great, and staff members at the front counter were helpful. This will be my place for the night in NY in future.

• 13th Nov 2015

I wouldn't stay here again - the lay out is terrible with the room I was in coming directly off the "kitchen" (tiny kitchen with almost no bowls, plates or utensils) which meant you get all the light and noise of people using it late at night of in the morning. The room was stupidly overheated with no way to cool it except opening a window, which wouldn't stay open, and banged all night. Isn't a hostel - but a town house with bunk beds in random rooms. Not great at all.

Cute hostel. Friendly staff members gave me information about the city. The hostel also offers coupons and free breakfast. The location was nice. The acoustics of the dormitory were very good, so whenever anyone made a noise it was really loud. The beds were also the loudest of any hostel I've ever stayed in (and I spent a year backpacking) and not very comfortable. Basically I slept really poorly. There were also many mosquitos inside, and no aircon.

Ron, the owner of this hostel, was terrific. Very warm and friendly.

• 20th Oct 2015

I'm older and not as agile as I once was so it's generally a bit of a hassle if I have to stay in the top bunk -- and it's a possible source of bad feeling if with a little more planning and care, I might have been given the bottom bunk. In some establishments -- and this hostel is one -- getting up -- and especially down from -- the top bunk is not so easy, especially in the middle of the night. So if you need to go to the bathroom -- it's a good idea to have an empty bottle to pee in.

Overall, my stay was fine. The good: Location, location, location. Also, the bathroom was super clean and white, one of the best bathrooms I've seen in a hostel. The bad: Uncomfortable bed and they don't keep very good records (there was confusion at check out over whether or not I had paid a deposit, which I had). Also, the window in my room was stuck open on a very cold night and when I tried to close it, the window slammed quite suddenly onto my fingers (a warning would have been helpful).

The location is wonderful and I found the facilities clean. Old, but clean. I always had hot water and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfast area is not the best. The food is not fresh and with a very limited selection (only cereal).

• 11th Oct 2015
  • Mexico

Hostel was lovely and small and had a great character to it; it felt very friendly. Also the facilities were very generous for the price paid (though it was all rustic stuff like breakfast came included). Only problems were the loose tiles and lack of ventilation or AC in the bedroom area (which may be an issue in the summer), but this is probably the best place I've stayed in in DC.

View all Washington DC Hostels