International House of Washington Reviews

1110 6th st. nw, Washington, DC, Washington DC, USA

Its not worth the money at all. The location is near the center, but the hostel was dirty and untidy. Also it smelled very bad and I heard about some mice in the building! I don't know who was writing all the good comments down there, but they must have been in another hostel! So: choose something else!

I really had a great time in here. The staff was really helpful: they made me and my friends feel comfortable from the very beginning, the show us the building, the provide us the local map, a discount card to go shopping in a food store. Definitely a good experience!

• 7th Nov 2014

great people!!

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Argentina

The owner was very nice and helpfull. Room (downstairs) was a bit strange, there was a kitchen inside which the neighbourroom also used. Location perfect, close to the city and supermarket arround the corner.

• 27th Oct 2014

The two men running it were very polite and seemed willing to be as helpful as possible. It was great except the woman, Susan, who was living there temporarily snored so loudly that I didn't sleep at all. If there had been a warning about her snoring, then i would have asked for a different room, gotten headphones, or earplugs. Also, there was mold in the room/air conditioner which made my allergies flare up. I never get sick, so it must have been pretty bad to make me react that way.

• 23rd Oct 2014

Great hostel on a perfect location in Washington, walking distance to White House and all the memorials, very friendly and helpful staff, nice room with a piano and as a special bonus, discount card for shopping in the very close Safeway supermarket.

Really cant figure out how this place got rated so high. Compared to the two surrounding hostels, IHW comes with a higher price, poorer facilities and a seemingly near to no effort at all to try to improve the situation. The place is as idle as the surrounding construction yard. Inside, there is cramped corridors, noisy doors'n floors'n beds'n walls, random stuff lying around, you make ur own bed and you wont ever figure out who actually works there... or why. And on more word: COCKROACHES.

Bizarre place...

Great!The best clean, location, staff and roommates! If I go to DC, I will choose this house again!

• 13th Oct 2014
  • China

It's a nice, quiet and clean place. The owner, Ron, is really helpful.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • India

Owner Ron and Staff Grag are wonderful

wonderful staff, Ron and Grag

Very impressed with the facilities of the hostel, the hospitality and stay overall, I just wish I could have stayed longer!! I was in a hurry and got to see WA DC by night only but I met very nice and quite interesting people there, the gentleman that looked over everything was very helpful and nice with whatever I needed, from directions, recommendations for places to got, whatever :D I was really happy with the stay I can't think of one think to complain about, would totally recommend it!

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Portugal

My only real complaint was the the outlets were not located sufficiently close to the beds to have your phone near you (so as to not wake up roommates when your alarm goes off). I ended up having to unplug my lamp in order to keep my phone close. The breakfast nook was cozy - had some good chats there. I appreciated the oatmeal.

Stay started off wrong by the hostel ignoring a previously arrange request to stay in same room with friends. The lower level they put me in, smelled like mildew and mold, making it very difficult to sleep. The AC was not adequate and room was hot. My room also had bolt cutters in it until I complained about security, only then they were removed. Floors and bathrooms were dirty. Staff were mostly friendly but I would not stay at this hostel again.

• 5th Sep 2014

Really enjoyed my 2 nights stay here, front door and all rooms all have a security pin to get in. I was in the 4 bed female dorm with a private bathroom, lockers are huge I could fit 2 suitcases plus more, power outlets at each bed, tv, travel books and guides and also a discount pass for the local safeway - is a little pricey but discount card helps.

• 28th Aug 2014

The host was excellent and the rooms were clean and I really appreciated the fresh sheets and blanket that was handed to me. Super close to a Safeway for everything I needed to buy as well as Chinatown. The hostel felt very safe and not noisy so I had a great sleep. The bathroom isn't bad, but there is a bit of mildew in the shower and there's a moldy smell coming out of the drain. It's nothing that a bit of drain cleaner a good scrubbing can't fix though.

• 20th Aug 2014

Nice, clean and quiet hostel, close to the centre. Perfect for what I wanted!

Didnt like it, it looked like a regular house with to some beds.. Not really a nice hostel.

It's near to the White House and China Town,all the things good,and love the admission so much!!!

• 3rd Aug 2014