International House of Washington Reviews

1110 6th st. nw, Washington, DC, Washington DC, USA

I had a great stay at International House. The location is just a nice walk away from the metro and is a block away from the Safeway 24 walmart-sized supermarket and other great trendy restaurants. My host recommended that I checked out the Open Mic event at Bus Boys and Poets bar/restaurant nearby and I am so glad I did! Amazing turn out, raw and unfiltered performances from DC locals.

I spent three nights there and the host are rally helpful. He explains very clear on how to go to the visiting spot and even recommend the best for me. We had a great talk. The house is close to a supermarket and different transportation spot. However, it is a bit dangerous to climb to the upper deck of the bed. The ladder seems not so secure to me. And it would be nice if the bathroom is cleaner. Other than that, it is a great place for you to stay in the DC

First I want to say thank you to the nice and kindly personnel. They are really helpful. But it wasn't so clean.

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Switzerland

A great stay, close to downtown and friendly staff - thank you!!

The hostel was ok, the staff were friendly and the location was good. There just wasn't a lot of atmosphere if you are a young person looking to meet some new friends. There were no planned activities or specials on at night like most hostels which tend to get everyone together. It was just always very quiet with not much going on.

Not impressed with this place at all. For the amount my friends and I paid, we would have been able to get a nice hotel.

• 11th Jul 2015

It was wonderful, I stayed at all-female room for 3 nights, it was awesome. It was a very safe neighbourhood, and its location is perfect, you can walk to Smithsonian Institution in 15 mins and enjoy all the wonderful architectures along the way. The facilities are great, they have everything, except you need to rent the towel for $2 if you do not bring yours.

• 9th Jul 2015
  • China

I liked the books that were available for free. I made use of the free laptop computers but the internet on them was slow. Bunk beds were comfortable. The staff recommended some good nearby restaurants. I especially liked eating at Busboys and Poets and at Sweetgreens.

• 6th Jul 2015

I really appreciated the offer of taking free books - thanks again for the one I could take home with me!

• 27th Jun 2015

get on yellow line from Reagan airport get off Mt. Vernon walk 5 min and you are there so easy; owner is so helpful with things to do, how to get there; place has homey atmosphere; not a party hostel so great for those who are looking for reasonable price accommodation without the noise; big lockers to keep your things safe; all the staff were so helpful and approachable

• 25th Jun 2015

This is a guys house that he's converted into a hostel. He lives down stairs and is nice. The house is old and not very clean. In my room, there was a mentally deranged man in his underwear staring at the wall when I checked in which was extremely uncomfortable. I arrived and my bed had no linen. The other guests were 50+ year old men. I didn't stay a night here as it was not safe or comfortable. I don't recommend this place to any young people looking for somewhere clean and sociable.

It is unfortunate we had one guest for one night that had an obvious mental condition. He was not allowed to stay another night. Our guests 80% on average are between the ages of 18 and 30. Occasionally we get older women and men. I understand Tyler's feeling concerns, and we will address those..

😄The staff were very friendly!

Very nice friendly staff, helpful and accommodingaccommoding. Clean and quiet. Would recommend

Everyone was nice. The lockers were awesome, especially for the size.

Very quiet and relaxed vibe, exactly what I wanted after adventuring by day and going out at night.

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • Philippines

You really couldn't ask for a better location. The staff was very helpful. I would definitely recommend. Although if your looking for a place to party then I would say try someplace else.

the guy at the make believe front desk was very nice and that was all the nice you can expect from this hostel. the room was probably painted last century paint falling from the walls, no air conditioning with 95 degrees out, and the mattresses were covered in plastic underneath the sheets so the heat was only worse. the whole house was crooked literally, upon departure I got a keychain for free, as I said the guy that runs the place is super nice but the place itself is the worse place Ever

• 28th May 2015
  • Argentina

Great Hostel in Great Location!!

I reserved for 4 nights, and would up staying 6. Would have stayed another couple of nights but they were booked. A small friendly 4 story hostel. Coffee/tea & breakfast are included. Very friendly and helpful staff. I will definitely stay there again next time I am in DC.

The older man was extremely helpful, great knowledge of local transport routes and costs, as well as happy to store our bags on our last day so we didn't have to walk around with them.

• 3rd May 2015