International House of Washington Reviews

1110 6th st. nw, Washington, DC, Washington DC, USA

Great place to stay, the lady working when I arrived was very nice and explained everthing I needed to know. Highly recommend this place.

• 15th Dec 2014

DO NOT GO THERE! We were really disappointed, In the description it was stated: Breakfast included. Cereals, milk and Toast is no real hostel breakfast. The rooms really looked bad and could need some renovation! Only the location is good. Otherwise we will not recommend that hostel! Also parking is mentioned as included and suddenly it cost 10$. Never again! No real hostel! We do not understand why this is even listed in Hostelworld!!

• 22nd Nov 2014

I enjoyed my stay, the manager was great, friendly, thoughtful, enjoyed our talks... He was very receptive to my needs! Thank you Greg!!!!!

• 20th Nov 2014

If you are looking for a place to stay you found it. It doesnt look like a hostel, even i dont think is a hostel, is more like a house that was adapted to function as a hostel. In spite of that, this hostel offer you a quiet environment to stay.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Mexico

Its not worth the money at all. The location is near the center, but the hostel was dirty and untidy. Also it smelled very bad and I heard about some mice in the building! I don't know who was writing all the good comments down there, but they must have been in another hostel! So: choose something else!

I really had a great time in here. The staff was really helpful: they made me and my friends feel comfortable from the very beginning, the show us the building, the provide us the local map, a discount card to go shopping in a food store. Definitely a good experience!

• 7th Nov 2014

great people!!

The owner was very nice and helpfull. Room (downstairs) was a bit strange, there was a kitchen inside which the neighbourroom also used. Location perfect, close to the city and supermarket arround the corner.

• 27th Oct 2014

The two men running it were very polite and seemed willing to be as helpful as possible. It was great except the woman, Susan, who was living there temporarily snored so loudly that I didn't sleep at all. If there had been a warning about her snoring, then i would have asked for a different room, gotten headphones, or earplugs. Also, there was mold in the room/air conditioner which made my allergies flare up. I never get sick, so it must have been pretty bad to make me react that way.

• 23rd Oct 2014

Great hostel on a perfect location in Washington, walking distance to White House and all the memorials, very friendly and helpful staff, nice room with a piano and as a special bonus, discount card for shopping in the very close Safeway supermarket.

Really cant figure out how this place got rated so high. Compared to the two surrounding hostels, IHW comes with a higher price, poorer facilities and a seemingly near to no effort at all to try to improve the situation. The place is as idle as the surrounding construction yard. Inside, there is cramped corridors, noisy doors'n floors'n beds'n walls, random stuff lying around, you make ur own bed and you wont ever figure out who actually works there... or why. And on more word: COCKROACHES.

Bizarre place...

Great!The best clean, location, staff and roommates! If I go to DC, I will choose this house again!

• 13th Oct 2014
  • China

It's a nice, quiet and clean place. The owner, Ron, is really helpful.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • India

Owner Ron and Staff Grag are wonderful

wonderful staff, Ron and Grag

Very impressed with the facilities of the hostel, the hospitality and stay overall, I just wish I could have stayed longer!! I was in a hurry and got to see WA DC by night only but I met very nice and quite interesting people there, the gentleman that looked over everything was very helpful and nice with whatever I needed, from directions, recommendations for places to got, whatever :D I was really happy with the stay I can't think of one think to complain about, would totally recommend it!

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Portugal

My only real complaint was the the outlets were not located sufficiently close to the beds to have your phone near you (so as to not wake up roommates when your alarm goes off). I ended up having to unplug my lamp in order to keep my phone close. The breakfast nook was cozy - had some good chats there. I appreciated the oatmeal.

Stay started off wrong by the hostel ignoring a previously arrange request to stay in same room with friends. The lower level they put me in, smelled like mildew and mold, making it very difficult to sleep. The AC was not adequate and room was hot. My room also had bolt cutters in it until I complained about security, only then they were removed. Floors and bathrooms were dirty. Staff were mostly friendly but I would not stay at this hostel again.

• 5th Sep 2014

Really enjoyed my 2 nights stay here, front door and all rooms all have a security pin to get in. I was in the 4 bed female dorm with a private bathroom, lockers are huge I could fit 2 suitcases plus more, power outlets at each bed, tv, travel books and guides and also a discount pass for the local safeway - is a little pricey but discount card helps.

• 28th Aug 2014