International Student Center Reviews

38 West 88th Street, Manhattan NY 10024, New York, USA

This hostel was great. Primarily the location is fantastic!! Upper west side and seconds from central park. It also is easy access to different subway stops with multiple different lines serving them. My bed was comfortable, room was spacious. Very few sockets in the room but it is an old building. en suite bathroom is handy. Lovely common area very comfortable and kitchen facilities are great. They make you leave big suitcases downstairs which wasnt an issue for me but is worth thinking about.

• 18th Jul 2014

In general i was pleased having stayed here and i'm going to stop at this hostel again on my way back to NYC.

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • Russia

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the International student center! We hope to welcome you again next time you are in New York. Safe travels and best regards – ISC Staff

Unacceptably filthy, no A/C, only two loud fans, no outlets/sockets, only 1 shower/toilet in a 10 person bedroom, only 5 tiny lockers (!) in a 10 person bedroom. Only one light source for the entire room. Matressess smelled like urine. Overall, I had to basically escape that place.

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Poland

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We would like to reaffirm that we clean entire building on a daily basis. We take the cleanliness of our facilities very seriously. All dormitories are equipped with new AC units, and both extra lockers and power strips available. We wish you had raised these concerns with us at the front desk during your stay. We would also like to wish you good luck on your travels. Best Regards –ISC Staff.

For the price and location (a minute's walk from Central Park and very near subway stations), I was extremely happy to have stayed here, and can't think of any place that could top it! It was a little different not to have lockers or a place to keep things in the room, but it really wasn't a problem with my short trip. The building itself was old and beautiful and I will definitely be returning!

• 21st Jun 2014

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We take pride in maintaining our beautiful old building. We do offer large lockers in the common lounge area, just ask at the front desk. We hope to see you next time your travels bring you to NYC. Best Regards – ISC Staff

Nice place, good value for money! 10 bed in a room I thought initially was too much, but since only third o half of them were occupied it was alright. Bathroom was clean and water pressure was good. Good thing is that they allow storing baggage after check out for $1/hr.

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Russia

Nice place to stay, clean and tidy. People are friendly inc. Staff and helpful too. Has a good subway link into downtown Manhattan and the hostel is actually in a really nice part of NYC (Upper West Side) close to central park and it's really quiet so a nice change from all the noise of Downtown!

• 20th Jun 2014

The worst ever! I mean it just make some stupid rules and seems to do good for you. It got plenty space inside and some luggage, and I am just not allowed to put my bike inside! all of the others do! And the facility is just awful, it's cheap, but it's not worth for $45, I mean, 20 at most(I spent about 70 in others hostels and they are worth the money)

We regret to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. please understand, Our rules are in place for the safety of our guests or to comply with local laws. We do not have space to provide storage for items such as bicycles. Our online description states that we do not allow bikes. Best of luck with your travels. Best Regards – ISC Staff

Location was great...just near to Central Park and 86th Street subway station. It was my first time in New York but still there was no issue with locating the hostel. Overall it was a good experience.

• 13th Jun 2014
  • India

Not a lot of community happening. I love hostels because I meet people, but I only met one social person while I was there!

i only choose this hostel due to its location to the centre of central park not its location in NYC, the staff were helpful and i was able to secure my bags downstairs in common room which was helpful. it was also in a quiet neighborhood.

International Student Center is really well located. There is the Subway and Central Park behind the corner. As for Manhattan it is a quiet place and still it is very easy to get to the center. Something for students who look for a cheap place to stay and yet don't want to be to far away from the heart of the city.

Location and cleanliness are good but don't be fooled by the "facilities" as listed on hostel world. I found when i got there that air conditioning actually means, it only works when the humidity reaches a certain level, i stayed there on some hot days and the heat inside was unbearable but still not hot enough for the aircon, and i'm australian! Same goes for the ceiling fans, they are just there for the light fittings but don't work. You also have to leave your baggage downstairs.

• 26th May 2014

I had a very good experience in this hostel! staff was really helpful! I did not have any problems! The only thing is that you cannot take big bags into your room. you get used to it and its not big of a deal, in my case I had to make sure I did not forget anything as I was in the last floor and its a long way to go after walking that much in ny! perfect location, good option to sleep cheap.

• 24th May 2014
  • Argentina

I read the rules \ and saw, that there is NO WIFI in the hostel before booking. But I could no imagine how UNCONVINIENT it is.

My bunkbed didn't feel very safe. It was shaky getting on and off, there was no ladder to cllimb up, and no bar to keep me from rolling out (although many of the other beds did have bars). That bed wouldn't have worked for some other people, which is a problem, since I wasn't asked whether I wanted a top or bottom bunk. Other than that, the place was fine. The basement is a good place to talk with new friends. Good value and location!

• 9th May 2014

Overall I was happy with my stay at ISC. The facilities are clean, the staff is nice and the location close to the subway/Central Park is great. The thing that bothers me however is the lack of facilities in terms of showers and toilets. Sharing one bathroom with 10 roommates is a pain, especially when everyone wants to shower before having to leave the hostel at 11. But overall, happy with my stay!

Really good value for money; perfect location close to 2 subway stations, 1 minute away from Central Park. Staff was really nice, I liked the living room and the big kitchen. I expected that having no Wi-Fi and leaving your bags downstairs would be annoying but both weren't really.

El personal es muy déspota llegando a ser un poco racistas, no hay wi-fi, según quieren promover la convivencia pero desde la recepción te tratan mal. El precio me pario el mejor en NY, y de todo lo demás esta muy bien. The staff is very despot becoming a bit racist, no wi-fi, they want to promote coexistence but from receipt treat you badly. The priceis th best in NY, i think, and everything else is fine.

• 5th May 2014
  • Mexico

There are no locks on the doors, so everybody can enter your room. They have lockers but way insufficient. The Kitchen is a joke, bathrooms are old and dirty, matresses are super old and disgusting, One of my roommates stole my key to the hostel while I was asleep. You are not allowed in the hostel between 11 and 3. that dude who checked me in was bored as hell, didn't care at all about me......

I like the common room a lot, hostel is in a good area, staff are helpful Main issues were lack of available bathrooms, no wifi to research travel plans

« first « Prev 1 2 3