International Student Center Reviews

38 West 88th Street, Manhattan NY 10024, New York, New York, USA

Would be nice to have wifi. These days it makes travel a lot more difficult without having free internet in where you stay.

Was my first ever stay at a hostel & I loved it. Living at the ISC is like living in a nice old house. I felt secure on the female-only floor, and it is a residential part of NYC. Really convenient. People were quiet & there were no loud noises, even though it was a Friday night. Got a good night's sleep. Excellent price. Only complaint is perhaps replacing some of the more worn bed sheets.

• 4th Apr 2014

Nice hostel with an awesome location. The common room and kitchen are awesome as well. The rooms are a little bit cold, so pack a jumper!

The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hostel is super clean and very well maintained. Thank you very much!

You are very welcome we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! :) Best, ISC Staff

Nights to remember in NY! Thank you All, but mostly ... Nahida! :-)

Perfect location right next to central park. The beds are an adventure, if you sleep on the top bunk bed. It's clean and compared to other hotels/hostels in NYC it's cheap. I would stay there again:)

Nice hostel close to the Central Park. It's very affordable but has a couple of weird rules you should know about, most of which are pretty understandable. They do NOT OFFER WIFI!!! I knew about that and since there are so many Starbucks about with free wifi, I didn't mind. They say it's so that guests get to talk to each other. You also cannot take any bigger luggage to the rooms, my backpack was fine though. They clean every day! Which is great but you cant be in your rooms during the day.

It could be cleaner

• 10th Mar 2014

The rules at this hostel are irritating. The insistence of keeping cases downstairs leads to some fun rooting around in your underwear in front of the hostel. The room wasn't clean, even though it is closed several hours a day for cleaning. Some of the staff are lovely and friendly, others not. The lack of maps of NYC is very annoying. But it is one of the cheapest hostels around, you get what you pay for. The location is decent and it has nice social areas and dorms to meet people.

It was actually a nice cozy place,i met lots fo nice people from different countries,the staff are really nice and friendly..i would like to go there again)

It's a simple but loving and welcoming place with great art hanging around. Especially liked the no curfew policy!

• 14th Feb 2014

The best part about this hostel is the location. It's right near Central Park and is only a couple blocks away from a lot of restaurants. My friends and I went to great diners for breakfast (Too Good to Eat and the Jackson Hole) that were just around the corner. The facilities were clean, though I think there should have been more than one bathroom per room. We enjoyed our time here! You can't beat $30/ night.

• 8th Feb 2014

The hostel was nice, but the lack of internet is a bit difficult when you would like to plan onward travel or check something about tourist sites

There need to be put up some wifi. Since it's international students there they don't have phones to use; it's way too expensive. If they met someone and were trying to meet again it is impossible to plan, unless you know exactly where and when to meet them. We don't know the city well enough for that. At LEAST there should be free use on the PC at the front desk. Please listen to the people that have been there; I believe everyone agrees on this one. I would never go there again,because of this

• 31st Jan 2014
  • Norway

We are sorry for the inconvenience, we do try our best to please our guests. The PC is available for all guests but the charge is only $1 per 10 minutes, along with a free 10 minutes the moment you are checked in to email or use any social media to get in touch with whom you desire. We also have maps available with the subway routes, main attractions, and other necessary information for your stay during New York City. Our staff is also always available to assist you. Best, ISC

overall very good:)

Very friendly fellows, they just made me feel like I was at home. They value respect a lot. I just want to come back very soon :)

• 14th Jan 2014
  • Argentina

Can't go into your room between 11-3 every day while they clean, and the desk hours aren't 24/7, which sucks. You also can't take your bags to your room. You definitely get what you're paying for, but I wouldn't recommend this place.

• 11th Jan 2014

I didn't like that I couldn't bring even my small bag up to my room. Location is a fair way out but at least you get some quiet at night time

They have a lot of weird rules like leaving your bags at reception. They have a nice common room but the staff reminds you all the time to keep absolutely quiet. It's in the basement and the rooms are two floors up!! The rooms upstairs will not hear any noise even if you have a band downstairs. They go out of their way to deliberately make life hard and un-fun for you!! The rooms are cramped and cold and have only one outlet for 12 people to share!!

Please keep in mind that our hostel is in a residential area, which means our neighbors are families and they must be respected. Even though you are in a basement, to the left and right of you there are homes. We love to have fun, but with respect! We have extra power strips and blankets so do not hesitate to ask next time. Lastly, the baggage storage rules are imposed on us by the fire department. We comply by those rules for your safety, the safety of others and of the hostel. Safe travels!

There are many rules and i feel like im living in a boarding school.

• 22nd Dec 2013