International Student Center Reviews

38 West 88th Street, Manhattan NY 10024, New York, USA

As an au pair I can't afford much,this hostel is good option for people who are looking for place to stay overnight and spend most of the day in the city.Location is great. Bathroom was clean. I recommend this hostel :)

I would never do it again. I mean, location is excellent but the house, beds, stairs, everything is quite old. At least, I only spent one night there but not the best experience. Since location is so good, I would recommend to do some modifications to the hostel and buy new beds and couchs. Lighting in my room (room 4) was so poor. Stairs (though I understand why there is no elevator) must be cleaned. Even when the hostel is not so expensive, I believe it is, compared to the services it offers.

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Mexico

Dude at the front door stayed open late because my flight was delayed. I really appreciated their flexibility.

• 14th Jun 2015

Great time, Friendly people, very helpful and organized- not to modern but easy to stay in.

Was a great stay. Thanks a lot for everything :) Friendly staff, nice location, simple but clean. All you need.

• 12th Jun 2015
  • South Africa

It was bad other customers. Some men came inside female room.

• 11th Jun 2015
  • Japan

I've stayed at this hostel for many years and the place hasn't changed, which is a good thing. Just wish they were slight more flexible on certain rules and mosty take credit and debit card for every transaction with them, i.e: bag storage and additional key fees. Loved the stay, be back soon.

• 11th Jun 2015

No lockers are a big downside of this hostel. Rooms are really bright and hot in summer. When I came back at night somebody was in my bed and no other beds where available. Tons of really young dudes without much sense of community. This is obviously not only because the hostel was bad but also the crowd that had to share wasn't that great,

• 10th Jun 2015

Bathroom was minimal, one shower for 12 people. No WiFi. Kind of squeeky and loud. An OK place to stay in Manhattan for the price.

Briefly, Worst hostel ever. There r so many restriction there. Even u cant stay in your room for 11am~4pm for clean up. No wifi, no laundry, early check out(10am) For keeping luggage, they charge one$/hr. definetely terrible hostel..

The hostel is in a good location, thats why they don t need to care about costumers. The staff could be friendlierer and the organsisation more flexible. No hostel atmosphere at all ...

• 31st May 2015

No wifi, no lockers in the room, the luggage must be in the office and it is not open 24 hours a day... however the staff is amazing!

Only one bathroom between 12 people was annoying. Also the lack of WiFi sucked. Had nasty couples in the room in there undies spooning and having a sook if the light got turned on at 10pm.. Seriously?

good place to live in nyc

• 25th May 2015

Change our bed, renovate the building.

• 22nd May 2015
  • India

It was very inconvenient to have to leave the suitcase downstairs.

• 20th May 2015
  • South Korea

It is literally right next to central park in the middle of Manhattan. Totally worth to stay here, so just book it. By the way if you are planning to cook, be aware you may need to buy all the groceries including salt and sugar :)

I thought the price and location was great but after a night it was not worth it. I recommend staying at a place where more amenities are available

Cons: - office is only open 8:00 AM - 11:00 PM. My flight was delayed, so I got there at 11:30 PM and couldn't check in. - there are no lockers in the rooms & you can't bring your suitcase into your room... so you have to get back before the office closes at 11 pm to get your things for the next day or leave them on your bed. There are actually lockers in the basement, but inconvenient to get to. Pros: - close to Central Park - clean - cheap - close to subway - pretty street/building

• 10th May 2015

Hi, I was very positively supprised by this hostel and I extended my stay right away. I got an offer on hostelworld for $40 in a 2bed room, that's why I can only rate the value for money as "excellent", and was lucky to have meet a nice room mate. The showers are ok and cleaner than some of the hostels I've seen. The beds are a bit short for a 6-foot-4-inches tall man, but that happens to me in most places. Walking a couple of blocks west on the street we found decent restaurants and shops.

• 2nd May 2015