International Student Center Reviews

38 West 88th Street, Manhattan NY 10024, New York, USA

I loved the location and price; I didn't love waiting over an hour to shower in the morning, or the $1 per bag, per hour on my last day. I think there should be someone at the front desk until at least midnight, late flights are pretty normal for budget travelers!

• 23rd Aug 2015

The hostel was very nice, but not a 50$ hostel. First, I didn't get the room I booked (rooms were the same price, but one had less people in it). The rooms are very big and spacious, and yet we could not take our suitcases into the rooms, and had no shelves and not enough lockers for our things. The rooms were clean, but there was a mouse in the lounge and ants in the kitchen. Our room had one bathroom-and-shower for 10 people, which ment an hour wait to brush my teeth in the morning at times.

There was no wifi but otherwise hostel was amazing'

There were only two showers for 20 people and one of them only had a mist that came out and the other was old, with the tap to turn if on not working properly. The beds are old bunkbeds and there were about 10 people in the room i was in instead of 8 as two people had friends staying in their beds so it was cheaper. The were good recommendations on the walls about what to do which was great and the metro maps on the wall and to take helped.

• 15th Aug 2015

Staff were not very welcoming, 1 private bathroom for 10 people is not ideal when checkout time is 10am and everybody is trying to get a shower.

• 14th Aug 2015

Unfortunately, the environment and atmosphere was not at all good. There was less social interaction than in any other hostel (with wifi) and the people just didn't care if others were sleeping. They turned on the light and were loud. This should be added to the housing rules (although it should be a common way to interact with each other. )

• 14th Aug 2015

nice safe location on the upper west side. metro station close by, only downfall is no wifi wich makes it difficult to organise things.

It was my second time staying with ISC and I really liked it. It's my go-to place in NY if I need to stay the night between my flights or just short-term but I'm pretty sure it's good for longer periods as well. The location is perfect, considering the price, I would say it's cheap to live so close to the main attractions. It is very clean, the staff us very welcoming and all the facilities work perfectly. This place attracts a very nice crowd of people - reliable and understanding.

• 7th Aug 2015
  • Russia

I ha good times at this Hostel. The people ere nice, and had no problems. There is just one thing that I do not agree which is the rules. Leave the room at 11am? (come on I am on vacation, let me sleep!); US$1.00 for a towel? (Dude!); The kitchen is closed at 10:30 (Dude, make it 12pm!); I know that I have to buy my own food to cook, but even salt sugar and oil? Well... Even though, I liked the place, and I have enjoyed.

• 4th Aug 2015

The hostel itself was great, it was clean and secure. It would have been nice to have a more outgoing staff. There was no offer of information around the city, where to eat and no information on the easiest way to get to 42nd street. Since there is no wifi to get directions from, the hostel could have compensated by offering a lot more information on how to travel around the city and knowledgeable staff.

• 1st Aug 2015

Great place! Loved the kitchen and lounge

Overall an average hostel - nothing that makes me desperate to come back or stay away. Location is convenient though. Would stay again if no better option was available.

Great stay! Thank you very much!

• 9th Jul 2015
  • Colombia

The staff was friendly enough. One in particular I'm not sure his name gave me recommendations of clubs to go to,although I didn't go to the ones he recommended as we found a closer club it was still appreciated. I did n`t like the having to be away from 11-3 or whatever it is, seeing as there was 7 other people in my room sharing the one bathroom you had to wake up at least an hour before that in order to get ready for the day. This is a hard task if you went out the night before.

• 7th Jul 2015

My stay was quite pleasant. Especially, the front desk staff was really helpful. this female front desk staff, Roma was awesome and excellent. :) -Mihir

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • India

Very good stay at the ISC, cheap for NYC, and very well located. I'll definitely come again if I return to NYC.

As an au pair I can't afford much,this hostel is good option for people who are looking for place to stay overnight and spend most of the day in the city.Location is great. Bathroom was clean. I recommend this hostel :)

I would never do it again. I mean, location is excellent but the house, beds, stairs, everything is quite old. At least, I only spent one night there but not the best experience. Since location is so good, I would recommend to do some modifications to the hostel and buy new beds and couchs. Lighting in my room (room 4) was so poor. Stairs (though I understand why there is no elevator) must be cleaned. Even when the hostel is not so expensive, I believe it is, compared to the services it offers.

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Mexico

Dude at the front door stayed open late because my flight was delayed. I really appreciated their flexibility.

• 14th Jun 2015

Great time, Friendly people, very helpful and organized- not to modern but easy to stay in.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4