International Student Center Reviews

38 West 88th Street, Manhattan NY 10024, New York, USA

great location but the hostel is a bit aged.

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you were happy with our location. The hostel is located in an old, historic brownstone. We think that is part of the charm, but understand that some guests are looking for something more modern. Safe Travels! ISC Staff

this hostel was in a lovely and safe neighborhood, close to subway, clean big kitchen, 3 guest fridges, big rooms although it sucked that the suitcases couldn't be taken up there. bathroom was also a disappointment as the showers weren't working!! and the hostel staff were quick to complain about there job! unfriendly also. cleaning lady was lovely though! hostel is strict and there policy's are silly and unnecessary.

Hello Jessica, Thank you for your response. We apologize for our baggage policy but as per NY Fire Safety Regulations, large bags can often obstruct the fire escapes which can pose safety hazards. In terms of our showers, we have now had them fixed. We are also sorry that you found the staff unfriendly, we always try to be as helpful and amicable as possible. We will be sure to keep your review in mind. Thanks again. - ISC Staff

No wifi, no hot water, old building.

• 30th Oct 2015

Thank you for your review. We would like to apologize for the hot water problem, we can confirm that this issue has since been fixed. -ISC Staff

Very well located, near Central Park and Subway station.

• 19th Oct 2015
  • Colombia

A good place to stay, relatively cheap. No wifi. Wifi is a huge issue, especially for people out of the country.

make sure you read hostel condition

• 10th Oct 2015
  • Mexico

no wifi, dirty, the sofas in the common areas were very dirty.

• 9th Oct 2015
  • Mexico

Good location, reasonable price, clean. I stayed in the 10 bed mixed dormitory, and it was surprisingly spacious for having so many people (I love that they restrict the luggage you take upstairs so it isn't full of everyone's stuff). However, a few minor concerns: 1. there is only one bathroom per room with no additional bathrooms, so be prepared to wait. 2.There was only four lockers, which were not particularly secured to anything. Otherwise, great stay.

Security was just ok, nothing good to mention. The location is the only really good thing about this. Definetly not worth the low price. Staff is the worst. They hide themselves behind the PC/desk and are nothing helpful. They give you a card for your bag, but I never had to show, even to different staff). They are not welcoming and friendly. The rest is just poor, I'd rather pay 10-15 USD more and stay anywhere else. It's terrible to not have your luggage on bedroom and to bring towels.

The lack of wifi at the hostel is a problem for travellers. As for it saying that it is to promote socialisation within the hostel it creates the opposite atmosphere. The hostel is very unsociable. Me and one friend stated in the very top floor and the stairs felt very very unsafe as they were leaning so bad. The showers never seemed to work probably either which is another main issue. cleanliness within the hostel was also terrible with the bathroom floors having hair all over them.

this is a great place - price, located in on the west side, great location.

• 5th Oct 2015
  • Mexico

Very good position but this is the only real value! The rooms are super old and there was only a shower in a room with 12 beds! Moreover the shower was together with the toilet, and so long waiting time for everithing! The absence of wi-fi make no sense!

First of all there is no internet. It is not allowed to carry your luggage with you to your room. Climb narrow stairs could be bothering It is very old. Floor is wood and during night, if somebody walk, you may wake up easily.The location is perfect which is close to central park. You may walk to times square easily or go to any place in NYC by subway. There is no elevator in the building. The hostel is very close to subway stop from airport but subway does not have any elevator.

• 27th Sep 2015
  • Turkey

The International Student Center was great! I was in NYC one night for a festival in Central Park so the location was perfect for me! The staff was very accommodating and I would definitely stay there again!

Overall a good hostel and in a great location but no wifi? Such a necessity for travellers these days so very annoying to not have any at the hostel.

I thought it was a very cool hostel with a great location. What I thought was cool about the hostel is it feels as if you live in a typical New York style house on a cool street. I stayed in the staff bedroom which I really enjoyed because I felt like I had a little more privacy. Totally chill hostel and would definitely stay there again for sure. They staff were super helpful even when they were completely booked.

Compared to other hostels I've stayed in this was not value for money at all, I know it's NYC but we paid the same for a much nicer hotel during our previous stay. The restrooms need updating as the shower door kept falling off and the toilet was very loud. Also during our stay we seen mice despite the fact we had to be out from 11-3pm for cleaning. Luckily we knew how to get around the city because the staff didn't offer any assistance

The location is pretty good, but they don't bring you a service, only give you the keys and that's all

I booked last minute & this is what there was left for my budget. The location is great but other than that I would not stay there. The rooms are filled with beds, no place for anything else, you are assigned a bed that you cannot swap, you cannot bring your suitcase upstairs (no elevator either anyway) and they even charge you extra for leaving your suitcase downstairs (hourly rate- ridiculous!) Free wifi only first 10 min, then you have to pay (Medieval days,??) Staff OK common space OK too

great location , very very old building . only two bathrooms for many women. I was only 1 night as I found spot in the international hostelling at 980 Amsterdam Av . yes there is very good for small price difference.

• 10th Sep 2015