International Student Center Reviews

38 West 88th Street, Manhattan NY 10024, New York, USA

Biggest rip off of a hostel. You're not allowed to take "large" bags into your room so I wasn't allowed my standard backpack in there, which made it a pain to have to go up and down four floors if i wanted something from my bag. There's no locks on the dorm rooms and no lockers either. The bathroom was kinda grim, covered in hair etc. The wifi is free for 10 minutes before they charge you, easier just to walk to the starbucks round the corner! The staff are all lovely though...

The hostel was very not set up to be very friendly. They don't have wireless internet to "encourage guests to interact with one another", but the only place to hang out is basically the basement, and the way it's set up doesn't actually seem to encourage people to make friends. I was on the fourth floor, and it also seem very humid up there. I'm pretty sure that when it was raining, coming in through the old fire place right next to my bed, and I think it made me sick.

Could have done with wifi and could have done with letting guests take there bags in the room otherwise it was a very nice stay

This was my first stay at ISH. The security is very bad because you have only a key for the front door, the rooms for sleeping are not lockable and there are no lockers in the sleeping rooms only in the kitchen. The hostel is very simple and it's enough for sleeping. The location is good because it's in near of Central Park.

• 5th Sep 2015

The building Is on a beautiful and quiet street of brownstones, but it's a little hard to find - I walked right past it at first. Room doors had no locks on them.

Amazing location, just a block from Central Park West! Lovely little place with great security. The staff desk could see the door at all times and a key was required to enter after hours. Murals painted the walls of the lounge, which had a fridge, microwave, full stove and shelving space. The system for food was easy and simple and everyone seemed to abide by the rules, leaving our food safe! I do wish there had been a Sharpie to mark our food with though, it was difficult to label.

• 3rd Sep 2015

Literally half a block from Central Park and subway. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms, bathrooms and sheets were clean. Only 2 bathrooms per floor, but I showered at night and never had a problem getting in. I'll definitely stay there again next time I'm in NYC.

• 2nd Sep 2015

The staff was very friendly towards us and made some new friends. The location is safe a very quite compared to other places in Manhattan. The door is always locked,if you dont have a key you dont get in. The key is $10 but you are given that money back after your visit. I also enjoyed that you paid for the room the first day you check in. What everyone has to remember that this is a non for profit student hostel that is in a converted brownstone. Its not going to be perfect but for NYC it was.

• 30th Aug 2015
  • aliencatx

Thank you for your thorough and kind review! We are a not for profit student center and try our best to provide an affordable, comfortable and safe environment for our guests. We hope to see you next time!

There were no locks on the bedroom doors which is something I typically expect. Other than that we had a safe, clean stay!

Don't expect 'normal' hostel things like wifi, free computer use, hair dryer/ ID swap, the ability to take your luggage into your room, un-dismissive staff or more than one bathroom. But it is clean, has a fairly nice lounge area, self-serve kitchen and in a good location. Depends on your priorities in travelling! But no matter what, it's not worth $50 per night.

I loved the location and price; I didn't love waiting over an hour to shower in the morning, or the $1 per bag, per hour on my last day. I think there should be someone at the front desk until at least midnight, late flights are pretty normal for budget travelers!

• 23rd Aug 2015

The hostel was very nice, but not a 50$ hostel. First, I didn't get the room I booked (rooms were the same price, but one had less people in it). The rooms are very big and spacious, and yet we could not take our suitcases into the rooms, and had no shelves and not enough lockers for our things. The rooms were clean, but there was a mouse in the lounge and ants in the kitchen. Our room had one bathroom-and-shower for 10 people, which ment an hour wait to brush my teeth in the morning at times.

There was no wifi but otherwise hostel was amazing'

There were only two showers for 20 people and one of them only had a mist that came out and the other was old, with the tap to turn if on not working properly. The beds are old bunkbeds and there were about 10 people in the room i was in instead of 8 as two people had friends staying in their beds so it was cheaper. The were good recommendations on the walls about what to do which was great and the metro maps on the wall and to take helped.

Staff were not very welcoming, 1 private bathroom for 10 people is not ideal when checkout time is 10am and everybody is trying to get a shower.

• 14th Aug 2015

Unfortunately, the environment and atmosphere was not at all good. There was less social interaction than in any other hostel (with wifi) and the people just didn't care if others were sleeping. They turned on the light and were loud. This should be added to the housing rules (although it should be a common way to interact with each other. )

• 14th Aug 2015

nice safe location on the upper west side. metro station close by, only downfall is no wifi wich makes it difficult to organise things.

It was my second time staying with ISC and I really liked it. It's my go-to place in NY if I need to stay the night between my flights or just short-term but I'm pretty sure it's good for longer periods as well. The location is perfect, considering the price, I would say it's cheap to live so close to the main attractions. It is very clean, the staff us very welcoming and all the facilities work perfectly. This place attracts a very nice crowd of people - reliable and understanding.

1 2 3 Next » last »