Irie Lodge Warner Beach Reviews

19A Madeline road, 17 Madeline road, Durban, South Africa

The wifi conection cut have been better. And I would rather have lived in a hostel in Durban. It is not central enough to Durban if you dont have a var.

• 31st Jan 2014
  • Denmark

I am not happy at all. First of all there were no one to welcome us or help us with our room ect. There were one guest on the property who tried to phone the owner who told him to sort us out as they were on a boat trip. We also booked a delux double bed room with ensuite... There was no such room. The beds were not made and the cussions were rotten. The house animals made themselves cozy on the beds. Rooms were very durty. No curtins on windows and no bathroom. Rust all over the windows

• 24th Nov 2013
  • South Africa

I am so lucky to have stopped here and add another home on my list around the world. You will be treated with love and respect as though you are family, and the spirit is infectious.

I stayed with five others and we all really enjoyed our stay! The owners are a sweet couple and are a wealth of information about Durban. Because of them we were able to find parts never would've seen. The views of the sea are absolutely gorgeous and the neighboring area is very nice and quiet. If you're planning on spending the majority of your time in Durban central the drive back and forth is a little long but not unmanageable. Only real complaint was the internet, very slow & unreliable.

• 19th Mar 2013

The vacation was meant for my children and they are hundred percent happy and do feel that they would revisit the place. personally with my wife do think at one time or another will book in for a vacation. thanks for a good lodge that is so reasonable, at first I was doubtfull becuase of its reasonableness but now I know that you offer the best place for resting and spending time away from home - a typical home from home kind of a resort. keep it that way and may the Lord bless you. Herbert

• 11th Mar 2013
  • South Africa

Really nice hostel with friendly staff and very cheap!

The hostel was great - the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the cleaning staff. If anything, I think more could be invested in the toilets to make them cleaner - e.g. glass shower doors rather than curtains.

• 11th Dec 2012
  • South Africa

Thanks for all. Staff was super helpful.

• 9th Aug 2012

Very nice hostel with a great sun terrace, overlooking Warner Beach. Rooms are average, partly very small, but the owners Nelly and Will are great. They made us very welcome and our stay felt much more like a familiy stay (excellent homecooked food every night!!) than staying at a hostel!

• 7th Apr 2012

Hi you guys ! Thank you for the great review ! We hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit in SA ! Ciao Will & Neli

My family of 5 including 3 girls aged 20ish stayed here for 2 nights. The hostel was in a great location. It was a short walk to gorgeous, clean beaches. It was about 30 minutes to downtown Durban via car. The hostel is in a residential area and has a great deck with a view of the beach. The owner was very accommodating. My girls had a bad experience at a different hostel and the owner went out of her way to make sure my girls had a good experience here. We really appreciated her effort.

Greetings from Irie Lodge ! Thank you so much for your Beautiful rating. Love, light and blessings from Will, Nel & Max

I am already a return customer :) The environment at Irie Lodge made me feel I came to meet old good friends even if I knew none of them. It's a good feeling that deos't come in words, but in gestures. Considering that I was travelig alone, every time I needed a lift or a piece of advice, I got helped. The place itself is cleaned everyday. The terrace that has a very wide view to the ocean is AWERSOME !! There you can braai whenever you feel like. Guys, you are doing a wonderful thing :)

Greetings from Irie Lodge ! Thank you so much for your Beautiful Rating ! Love, light and Blessings from Will, Nel & Max

The map and directions were totally wrong! The hostel is very far from the center, nobody knew how to get there. So logistics were very difficult. I booked a ensuite private room and when I got there it was a room for 4! I paid for a room for myself and had to share my room with more 3. And the Owner tried to charge us the price of a ensuite instead of a room for 4!! Plus, the hostel is dirty, the rooms are VERY small, the shower is terrible, no swimming pool! I dont recomend it to anyone!

• 1st Dec 2011

Greetings from Irie Lodge ! Apologies that you found directions and map to be wrong. On Hostel World and on our website we give concise directions on how to get to us , we also have a map on our website that can be downloaded with very good directions. We do state that we are 30min from Durban Central too. There is a road with similar name in Durban Central and this possibly could have caused the confusion. We tried to accommodate all guests as best as we could and additional guests were added and dates were changed to your group so we tried to assist as best as we could. We moved ladies in a Family Room with ensuite comprising of 2 separate rooms and the guys in another Family Ensuite room. The price that you were charged was discounted to only one person sharing a family ensuite. You were thus not overcharged and refunded accordingly. We have not ever had any guests complain about our hostel being dirty as it is cleaned and serviced daily. We appreciate your constructive criticism and will strive to always do better. Regarding the swimming pool, we own 2 properties and the 1 with the pool was rented out exclusively . However the pool is incorporated with the hostel again. We do hope that one day you will visit our beautiful country again. We extend free accommodation to you for your original booking . Kind Regards from Irie Lodge South Africa

The map and directions are completly wrong on the hostel world web site. That is very very bad because we got this hostel based on location. We felt cheated. You have to correct this information urgently before other people get wrong as we were. We did not have the rooms we booked. There ir a swiming pool photo, but it does not exist. The information, maps, photos are completly wrong, thats terrible, shame..

Greetings from Irie Lodge! Apologies!! Our directions on Hostel World and on our website are in fact correct. There is a road in Durban central with similar name and that could possibly have caused the confusion. Due to booking changes of number of guests and dates we tried to accommodate you as best as we could. The room that was allocated to you was a Family Ensuite that you had to share with 2 other guests of your group. You were thus only charged as a single person sharing this Family Ensuite room. We do have a swimming pool as per photo's in website however the property with swimming pool was rented out exclusively. However the swimming pool is incorporated with the hostel. We do hope that one day you would visit our beautiful country again. We would offer you accommodation free of charge as per your original booking. Kind Regards from Irie Lodge South Africa.

We were disappointed by the fact that most of the information posted on HostelWorld were not true. The location was 35 km from where it was shown in the map and it was hard to get cheap transportation, they did not have the rooms that were booked and there was no pool. The host tried to make our stay enjoyable, but the lows were much greater than the highs.

Greetings from Irie Lodge!! We do apologise for the confusion of directions, there is a road with similar name in Durban central and this must have caused the confusion. On Hostel World and on our website we do state clearly that we are 30min from Durban central. We tried to assist you with cheap transportation by using our shuttle service at affordable rates and also even driving you around ourselves at a very, very low rate. Due to changes in bookings and number of guests we tried to assist you by still giving you a private room as per your booking. We also do have a swimming pool , however the property with the pool was rented out exclusively .We do hope that one day you will return to our beautiful country and then we do offer you free accommodation as per your original booking. Kind Regards from Irie Lodge South Africa.

If you're looking for a home from home, you couldn't find better! An amazing place. Stunning views of the sea which you can walk to in a few minutes. Beuatiful people running it. Nell and Will are the best hosts ever. The food was fantastic. We were made to feel at home right from start and nothing was too much for them We felt like part of the family and were sad to leave. Disppointed there wasn't a pool as described but the sea was so close it didn't really matter. Thank you for wonderful stay

Greetings from Irie Lodge !! Thank you sooooo much for this Beautiful rating !! It was such a pleasure to have you guys visiting us !! Sorry about the pool , however the property with the pool was rented out exclusively . I should have advised you about it before the time. However the pool is available to all guests now that we have incorporated the property again. We hope you come and visit our beautiful country again someday !!! Love, light and blesssings to U!!! Ciao Nel, Will & Max

Good place to stay however we didn't have any hot water in the morning and there wasn't any discount or anything offered. Wouldn't stop me staying again however!

Definetely aimed for a more conservative or older backpacker. Very homely, hosts were incredibly welcoming and helpful

Didn't like having to go through another bedroom to access my double dormer room. Owner Nell and Frank the team leader made us feel very welcome and did there very best to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Please pass my good wishes to them both. Thank you.

• 20th Sep 2010

Frank was great at helping us with whatever we needed. The location was epic...right on the beach. And make sure you call Reggie for a taxi into Durban...he's the GREATEST and cheapest. He'll take care of you. Definitely coming back to Irie for a weekend getaway any time!

Great view, !!