Isaacs Hostel Reviews

2-5 Frenchmans Lane, Dublin 1, Dublin, Ireland

Great atmosphere and staff, our room was between the showers and the train tracks and so it was both humid and felt like an earthquake every time a train passed - they did give us free earplugs for this though. Despite these two things I'd still definitely recommend isaacs - they even have us free ice creams... Can't argue with that...

Delighted you enjoyed the ice cream (given during the recent Irish heatwave) and staff and atmosphere - We agree ! We do have a quieter rooms at rear for lighter sleepers if ever you back in town

We had an awesome time at Issacs. Will definitely recommend to all of my friends. The pub crawl was brilliant. Thanks Isaacs :)

• 8th Jul 2013
  • South Africa

Awesome feedback ! Thanks a million

Only spent one night at Isaac's Hostel but had a great time. The staff was really friendly and helpful!

• 8th Jul 2013

Come back soon please !

This is a great hostel. I stay every time I come to Dublin. There is a great atmosphere and it is easy to meet other travelers. Some of the great things are the staff, free breakfast, location (right next to main bus station and around the corner from main train station), free wifi, and great common areas. The only not so great thing is that it cost extra to use the lockers (2euro per day). I have never had a problem with anything staying here.

So lovely thanks f!

We had one double room with no 73. That room was very poor! It was in the ground, so hot just a ventilator, we felt like in sauna. Weekdays you can count that all 10 minutes the train will drive fast over your head and if you are in this time on the toilet you can feel the vibration, I swear. We paid 62, 10 € for the room. Definitely too much. The breakfast is typically, hard to find fresh fruits. Just the location very closed to busaras is nice. Would choose another place next time!!!

Glad you liked the location - and so sorry to hear that you were disappointed in other ways. We do have quieter rooms to the rear of the hostel or our sister hostel Jacobs around the corner has a lot of private ensuite rooms which may be more suitable for your needs if you are back in Dublin .It was very hot ( unusually during your stay ) and we have since bought fans Breakfast is FREE and we also have a self catering kitchen should you prefer to make your own.

This is all in all not a bad place to stay. Value for money and in a great location just about 2 mins walk from the "needle" in double, ie O'Connell Street. On the otherhand I was not blown away, the staff was Ok but just that...not incredibly friendly or helpful (considering its Dublin and everyone is friendly :). All in all a decent place to saty for 1-2 nights if your looking for something on a budget and you want to be central, for longer stays I would personally try out another hostel.

Thanks for your comments - So sorry to hear you were not blown away by our staff - normally it is one of our strongest features in feedback so that is reallly disappointing for you ( and us ) . Please come back and try us again and we willl show our true colours !! .

The dorms were very bad, they were very hot. Was not clean at all!

• 5th Jul 2013

We are so sorry we let you down here . The rare heatwave started and we are addressing this with some extra fans. The Dorms are cleaned daily so we are really surprised at your comments but we willl certinly review any housekeepung needs immeduately.

Great place. Only had a problem with the rooms being far to humid to the point that it was hard to sleep at night - I would unlikely stay again during hot weather because of this.

• 4th Jul 2013
  • New Zealand

Thanks for your feedback - yes during recent hot weather we had a few issues but pleased to advise we have now improved this with some lagging and more fans so do hope you will try us again ( and don't forget hot weather is a very odd phenomenon in Dubln ! )

Overall the hostel was okay, but upon arrival, I was handed my receipt with my room number and the wifi password and that was it. No info/directions to anywhere about anything. Eventually I figured things out, but it felt very impersonal. The staff were helpful with questions later though. And then there's the kitchen. Almost zero counterspace and there was hardly room for anything in the fridges. I get that it's a city hostel, and it's busy. But still, it could be better.

So sorry if you felt your arrival was impersonal - that is most rare as we are usually rated very highly on our friendliness . However glad to hear we warmed up later and redeemed ourselves ! We willl review Fridges and work space in kitchens .It has not been a problem up to now and we recently refitted kichen, but it has been a really busy few weeks with quite a few long term guests who use the kitchen more.

Although my room was like an oven, I throughly enjoyed my stay here!! I met so many wonderful new friends at this hostel! It was probably one of my favourite hostels of my trip!

The location was good for the bus but I was disappointed that there are no lockers in the room for your gear, internet is unreliable and only available in the reception area. When the kitchen is closed, you cannot get water to drink and receptions advises you to go to a near shop and buy some (is this legal??). Apart from that, it is a nice place and has a social atmosphere.

Glad you liked us and the atmosphere - and for taking the time to feedback on some issues. We have lockers in basement as not reallly the space in the Dorms and it did cause a number of operational probems .On the plus side you can access lockers before and after check out in basement should you need to leave your luggage .We only have wifi in reception as it could be a big annoyance to guests trying to rest in dorms and we really want our hostel to retain it lovely sociable atmosphere

This hostel would have been ok, except that my room was very hot - according to my travel clock, it was over 32 degrees (even though it was only 20 degrees outside). There was only one fan in the room and it did not reach my bed so the air was stagnant and sticky. I asked if they had any more fans, but they said they didn't and were unable to offer any other solution. I will not be staying here again.

• 3rd Jul 2013

Our apologies that you found the room so hot we can appreciate your ffurstation - We are now buying more fans as we have had a rather rare heatwave. If you come back to Dublin , please let us know and we will upgrade you in Jacobs Inn our sister hostel

A lovely hostel. Staff are very helpful and friendly and breakfast was great! Not what I was expecting. The only negative is the very warm bedrooms and bathrooms. Overall I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone traveling on a budget.

• 3rd Jul 2013

Delighted to exceed your expectations - We are looking to address the heat with fans during this rare heatwave.

Please try to fix the heaters, it was so hot in the rooms! Otherwise it would have been a perfect stay at Isaacs. The staff is really friendly and cool!

• 2nd Jul 2013

We have now put some lagging on hot water pipes which have helped to cool things down in the Dorms in question. Also we have lots of Fans for hot days. So pleased you found us perfect otherwise !

I really loved this hostel. It beds a lot of people so it can feel crowded at times, but there's always a spot to sit and a burner to cook on. They are helpful and friendly, and be prepared to joke around with the staff!

• 2nd Jul 2013

Thanks and please do come again !

The train is not si cool to sleep...

• 1st Jul 2013

sorry if you had difficulty sleeping - We do have some quieter rooms to the rear of hostel if you are ever back.

A wonderful hostel in a wonderful part of town; it was amazing

Wonderful Thanks!

Good location. Well priced. Helpful staff. Good facilities with the exception of the bathrooms. Showers have no temperature controls and shut off every 20 seconds. Not enough showers for a hostel this size.

Thanks for your really great feedback. Our showers are timed to help conserve water and in a hostel enviroment (where showers rooms are shared) to encourage our guests to be considerate of each other in tems of the length of time taken. We do have additional showers on other floors of your area was under pressure and our sincere aplogies if you had any delays. We will keep a close eye during our busy season to see if we need to improve further

Liked: the breakfast, the common rooms, and laundry facilities. Disliked: the fact that lockers were all the way in the basement, and items were going missing out of people's rooms. The wifi was only available in the lobby & basement in some areas. In the basement it didn't always work, and there were certain spots you couldn't sit or it wouldn't work.

• 30th Jun 2013

Really nice place. Conveniently located to the bus station. Staff was really cool and super friendly. Great atmosphere in the "lounge" area. The bathrooms were clean!!! Only thing that would make the hostel even better is a bar haha! I will absolutely stay with isaacs next time I pass through Dublin!

• 30th Jun 2013