Island Time Hostel Reviews

1050 Calle Mariana, San Juan, Puerto Rico

This was hands down my favorite stay at a hostel ever! If you want an authentic Puerto Rican experience, this is a great place to start. It is located in a residential area, one of the oldest in San Juan. If you yell after Julio from the 1st floor balcony, his wife will cook you dinner for 5-6$; you get the picture. At the same time it is walking distance from the beach and the bus to Old San Juan is around the corner. Best of all is the staff. I stayed for 10 days and got a family. Thank you!

• 16th Jan 2016
  • Denmark

We stayed here on our first night in San Juan during mid January. There were no other guests around at the time when we arrived at 8 pm, neither in the rooms or any of the common areas (the rooftop, the kitchen), which made us feel uneasy/lacking in atmosphere. Lockers were provided, but they sat outside the rooms, easily accessible from the street. Other than that, beds in the 4-bed dorm were comfortable with A/C and the free pancake mix in the kitchen was tasty.

Booked here for 1st night of a group vacation. Right away- three 50 gallon drums out front overflowing with trash, covered in flies. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful, but we got to our room & there was someone sleeping in a bed (we had booked out the entire room) & we found that keys worked for multiple rooms. The window a/c leaked and soaked our towels, and the bedsprings poked us everywhere. No hot water, and toilets you could barely sit on. Worst hostel in 34 countries I've booked.

Stayed here with two other friends and overall we enjoyed it. The staff here are really friendly and have good suggestions about places to eat and go out. Our first night out was with some of the people from the hostel which was nice! The air conditioner worked fine in our room, bathroom was a little crowded but it works so who cares. The location wasn't too bad either there's a bus stop nearby and 10 min walk to the beach! Wifi is good except in the kitchen. Interesting place to stay.

I was a little sketched out at first because it was my first hostel experience, and it was not in the best neighborhood, but once I got to know the staff and residents, I was very pleased. It was definitely the most community based hostile I experienced out of the 5 from my trip. Everyone, staff and residents, all hung out together. The manager even told us about road blocks that we would experience along the way of our itinerary and drove us around the entire island for 2 days, saving lots of $

• 3rd Jan 2016

Very nice Hostel, staff make sure you are comfortable with your stay, I met Tonny upon my arrival he's a cool dude, he will offer to carry your luggage to your room with a smile. Christopher is one cool dude, he took us to a local bar, play pool,and it was pretty interesting. If you want to know the best inexpensive hangout spots you will need to chill out with Memory and Kyle, this guys are so fun to hangout with. They make your stayin San Juan comfortable both inside and outside the hostel.

I just needed a cheap place to crash between flights and this suited fine. Staff ordered me a taxi at 3.00 am and it arrived on time. No towel provided so no shower taken. I'm 76years young originally from England. Previously have stayed in Old San Juan which was also fine for my purpose. Items marked 'average' were because i had little or no experience of those.

• 29th Dec 2015

Staffs and locations are wonderful. Otherwise, it is a hell hole. 4 people in a smallest possible room I have ever seen. Very dirty. Staff wonderfully friendly but they do not help improve the cleanliness of the rooms. Worst hostel experience till date. We were in room 9. Iron stairs took us straight up to hell.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • India

This is best hostels experience we ever had. The staff was so wonderful and would pick this spot everytime, allready missing you all and our cozy nights Greetings from Denmark.

Great, friendly staff who made sure the type of room we reserved was ready for us despite mix ups of guests and rooms from the night before. We stayed in room 5, which was clean and the ac worked well. There was a growing puddle in the bathroom, however, and it seemed like there was a leak in the shut off valve of the toilet, hopefully that can be fixed soon.

• 15th Dec 2015

I stole the car battery, sneakers, clothes and things they buy, the site was close to where I was going but security does not work, there is no security, not recommended

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Puerto Rico

I enjoyed my time at Island Time Hostel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The facilities were merely adequate and very cramped but it made it easier to meet people. There were lots of cats around which I like but may not be so good if you are allergic to them. I enjoyed my time there very much. They do need to open the kitchen before 9 am though.

We enjoyed stay for the price. only one staff, new every day or new morning and afternoon. Practically no help on site seeing, maps, etc. Breakfast, as advertised you make pan cake from given powder which has traces of eggs, we vegetarian cannot eat it. We went without breakfast, Saved money/labor making it?! Room is small, again low price which we like;most spending $1100 for cruise may prefer bigger room, better common room, good building & pay $3to5 more/person/day. Air condition was good

This is a great place if you want to just to keep your bags safe and sleep. All the rooms have AC which is great and necessary. The staff here are nice and friendly. The location is in an area that is not too beautiul to the eye, but just a 10 minute walk and you are exactly where you want to be without having to pay the hefty price tag. This isn´t a hostel to party and hang out in. It´s a hostel to be close to the nice places but pay a cheap price.

Awful wifi, didn't work at all on the upper floors

The Staff was REALLY friendly. This Hostel could be fantastic but nobody seems to give him enough love. Lots of potential. too bad.

Great local atmosphere with convenient local spots to eat and drink! The rooms were a bit tight for three adults but having your own bathroom and a ac unit was good. The only other thing was the doors didn't stay shut once unlocked no biggie but it was hot so ac was pointless,no good if your room hopping. I would def stay again also breakfast was there you just had to dyi! Thought that was different. Great for getting a true local feel!!!

• 13th Aug 2015