Island Time Hostel Reviews

1050 Calle Mariana, San Juan, Puerto Rico

I had a super time. Chill folks, chilled beverages, and a super-cute and helpful staff. Much love, ITG (Island Time Gang) XOXO

• 8th Jul 2015

We had a great stay! Cheap and yummy food in the area, and walking distance to the beach, ATMs, and supermarket. The staff posts daily events happening in the area and everyone is very friendly. Brandon especially was great -- he accompanied us to run our errands so we wouldn't get lost, wasn't even on the clock!

Loved the people here. I felt like I was part of the family right away. I stayed at a different hostel after a couple of days because island hostel was booked, and I kept coming back to island because I loved the people so much. They were very helpful and even the neighbors came and hung out and showed us around. Great experience. I highly recommend it!

• 23rd May 2015

As soon as I walked into the room there were several cockroaches on the floor. There must have been a nest in the building because they were everywhere. I immediately left and found somewhere else to stay. I don't mind staying in a cheap dorm bunk, but I draw the line at sleeping with cockroaches. On the plus side the staff was friendly. If not for the cockroaches I would have stayed.

• 14th May 2015

We had trouble finding the address with the GPS there are a lot of streets with similar names. The room adequate with shower, toilet and wifi. There were pancakes and some fresh fruit for breakfast.

Average cleanliness. Interesting mix of long-term characters are constantly around. Less of a transient spot. Location away from touristy Condado which we appreciated but still needed a car to get around. Without a car the stay would be challenging.

I booked 4 people in one room and arrived to be split up..2 diff rooms and the shower didn't work in one. we went out for a walk we returned to no water in the entire place. So no showers, toilets, or clean hands, or water for brushing teeth..I've traveled in hostels all over the world and haven't had that. or even an attempt to refund money. $30 per person per night are you kidding?! We were on the third floor of the building..we're all athletic young males and the steps were scary every time!

• 28th Mar 2015

The staff are super friendly, and the place is kept very clean. The music is on point, and they strive to build community with the guests. I truly enjoyed my stay.

- Fungus on the ceiling - No hot water or shower heads - Bathroom is the size of a closet - No windows in the room (air was very stagnant) - Uncomfortable and dirty mattresses - Treacherous stairs up to rooms on top floor - Unsafe area (taxi drivers told us that they had gotten assaulted multiple times in that area) The staff were very friendly and helpful, however! The garden area was such a nice idea.

Decent hostel. Good location, close to San Juan nightlife. Security of valuables is a little sketchy. For a city with a high crime rate, I was surprised to see that the hostel had only a few really cheap looking lockers located outside the rooms in a space accessible to any passersby, even those not affiliated with the hostel. Room was also quite cramped, but did the job. Quiet hours were a bit odd for a hostel.

The hostel was a great! I highly recommend it to any age group. The staff was very welcoming and inviting. The location was ideal (beach, bars, and restaurants were at a walking distance). Also, the bus was only a block away and it would take you all the way to Old San Juan.

• 8th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

You all were amazing! Thank you for my first hostel experience!!!! :D see you guys soon!

• 3rd Mar 2015

WONDERFUL atmosphere!! About the staff: AMAZING people!! Joe, Jess, "Shilla" aka Panda, Alex, Liam, Yvan...thank you guys for the lovely days!! Had blast every minute!! Making long short: what a nice place to be.

I had a great time here! The staff makes you feel at home. I will definitely come back when in PR again.

Two staff that I came into contact with were great but other two acted like guys that were there to hang out and did not serve the guests of the hostel very well. When asked about the bus to Old San Juan one answer was, "I don't know, I don't take the bus." Unacceptable since he has been there for quite some time and has most likely got that question many times before and should have found out the answer by now. No hot water to wash dishes in the common room is awful. Need lockers in rooms.

I had a very good stay at Island Time Hostel. The staff was very cool and they made me feel welcome. The hostel is close to Condado Beach and there is plenty of restaurants and grocery stores close by. I would want to come back!

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Denmark

Great location! Didn't have to worry about mosquitoes for the most part, good AC. Nothing to complain about :)

At first, arriving in the dark, it looked like a scary neighborhood, but after exploring the area and the close location to the beach, I enjoyed it very much. Note: The deposit I paid through hostel world was not immediately visible in their computer, but as soon as I mentioned this and showed them my reservation they honored the price completely, no additional questions. Rooms are VERY VERY TIGHT, but the clean sheets, ac in the bedrooms , coffee and free clean towels are greatly appreciated.