Island Time Hostel Reviews

1050 Calle Mariana, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Important note: If you are arriving after hours, beware that there is a $10 late fee that must be paid in cash! The hostelworld profile for this hostel does not mention this fee. Felt safe, was relatively clean, staff nice, however actual facilities were sub-par relative to peer hostels in Europe and Asia. Bathroom so narrow that I could not sit on toilet. Barking animals all night amplified by neighboring corrugated tin roofs. We had to bolt to a hotel for the second half of our trip.

I can't say I was too impressed with Island Time Hostel. The staff was very friendly and helpful but the facilities were basic at best and none too clean. The common room was quite dirty and smelled like some of the neighborhood cats had taken up residence. I was a little surprised that this property was rated so highly on Hostelworld, maybe this is as good as it gets in San Juan?

I had a great time at Island Time Hostel. The staff there are super helpful, and know the island really well. There is definitely an attitude of customer service at this hostel that I have never seen at any hostel I have stayed at. I recommend this hostel to anybody and everybody!

• 16th Jan 2014

The private room is nice and clean, and the beds are comfortable. The common room was really dirty. Staff were very and helpful. This hostel can get quite loud, so bring earplugs.

I have stayed at about 20 hostels in the last two years, this is by far the worst one I have stayed in. The size of the rooms are basically a joke. You can't even open the door all the way because it hits a bed. The toilet gave no room to sit down. And the water....hope you like it freezing. It was 80 degrees F. outside and it was still hard to make it through a shower. I would recommend finding a few people to split a hotel room, I would never stay here again.

• 14th Jan 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Very easy to meet cool people, fantastic staff BUT tiny dorms and bathrooms, and NO HOT WATER!

• 11th Jan 2014

Great and very helpful staff. had a great time there

We stayed 2 nights and really enjoyed it. The only negative was the water was only cold. You have to prepare yourself for a cold shower, but after walking around and feeling sweaty and warm it feels good. The staff is EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. Everyone seems like a family. The actually all go out at night dancing, and socializing with the guest. For someone traveling alone, it is a great place to meet other travelers. We would recommend staying here, and hope to return sometime soon

Very helpful staff, facilities were fair - definitely good for the price!

• 23rd Dec 2013

Island Time Hostel at first glance looks a bit sketchy due to its location. But once I entered the common area and met the staff and other guests at the hostel my whole attitude changed! Cory and the staff are AMAZING!!! They sure know how to party! Cory was very helpful when it came to suggestions as to where to eat and how to get around if he was unable to take you himself. This was my first experience at a hostel and I would definitely return again!

• 20th Dec 2013

Want to have the best experience in San Juan? Stay at Island Time! They are perfectly located, just a 10min walk to the beach, great local food & bars, plus the bus is only a block away and Old San Juan's just a 10min ride. The staff are all AMAZING -Cory, Lisa, Kristan, Julissa, Evan, & Nathan. They're all really helpful, wonderful, generous people its hard not to love them. There's NO better place to stay in Puerto Rico so let them show you why Puerto Rico is known as "La Isla Del Encanto."

no hot water; facilities are very much inferior to what appears on the internet

The stay here was probably one of the best experiences I have had in a long time. This is in the center of local Puerto Rico away from the tourists. The beach was awesome, the restaurants were amazing, night life was incredible!..All because of one thing, the staff took you there and helped you learn so much culture and even practice your Spanish! Cory, Kristen, and Evan took care of me and my friend, she has never been out of the country and she had a blast!!! -Doug and Lindsay

The staff at Island Time Hostel makes you feel welcome, offers advice, tips and suggestions and takes guests out at night to sample the local nightlife. My bathroom was dirty when I arrived. There is NO hot water! Also, no screens on the windows so mosquitoes are a problem. The neighborhood seems a bit dangerous with prostitutes nearby and no police presence, but is near Condado. I was booked for 4 nights but only stayed 1. Cory gave me a full refund. Great staff! Not so great property.

No tv nor hot water, fyi

I am a young women traveling by myself, safety is a big one on my list when i travel, not only that but the hospitality that is offered by the staff is the essence of an incredible experience to somewhere you have never been before. I feel so incredibly lucky to have had the experience i had at island time hostel. Corey and Kristen were so amazing, dynamic, and willing to show off the city not only for its hot spots but its local atmosphere. LOVED IT, and I traveled completely alone. missing it

• 20th Nov 2013

Verty small room, floor sticky and full of sand and averythig else. Nô hot water. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty

The hostel is located in Santurce and is very near (walking distance) to Condado. It is not a touristy location at all. The staff was wonderful and they were who really made the difference for me. There were events every day including tours of the Bacardi rum factory, day trip to El Yunque, and nightly outings to La Placita, where tons of locals go and where you will not find many tourists. I felt like I had an authentic San Juan experience. Cory, Evan, and Kristen are the best!

• 14th Nov 2013

I love Cory. But truly, there aren't enough positive adjectives to describe ALL the staff at Island Time. Alex, Kristin, Evan

• 12th Nov 2013

Island Time hostel instantly felt like a home away from home. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, fun and helpful. The room & bathroom were spacious and clean. The common room was great for socializing and had adequate amenities for cooking on site. I didn't mind the cold showers, they were quite refreshing after long hot days. Thank you to all of you who made my birthday vacation so special. I will return again in the future.