Islander Backpackers Resort Reviews

It was a pity that the shower was no higher then my shoulder, so I had to bend over to wash my hair.

More like a hotel, no atmosphere for backpackers whatsoever. Very impersonal. However the rooms were good and clean and location was perfect! Right by greyhound stop and a stones throw from Main Street and surfers beach

This is the best hostel I stayed in Australia. Reasons: you can barely call this one a hostel since it's a hotel with 24 h reception and bathroom in the room and with swimming pool , tennis court, bar , spa close to dorm rooms that you could use anytime you want. I came here in April /off season so I had a big room on the first floor with one roommate at a time in a five ppl s dorm room, rooms are quite big. Outside the Back door/all window is a garden and pool. How great is that.

Great location - relaxed hostel with a hotel vibe. Was disappointed that you need to leave a deposit to use cutlery.

hi i just stay one night. but i booking three night.

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Taiwan

We booked a private twin room, it had 1 double bed and 1 single, balcony and private bathroom. Fairly clean, kitchen area maybe a little small for the amount of guests but the facilities where exceptional for a hostel :) would stay again...

Location couldnt be better, 2 min from Greyhound busstop and close to everything exciting in surfers!

This is a strange hostel, which was oubviously a fully functioning hotel at one point! The inclusion of a free sauna and pools is brilliant (left from its day as a hotel I presume), however the place is in dire need of a refit. Extremely dated and seemingly only just functioning, the kitchen in particular is foul (cockroach!). Location however cannot be beaten right next to the coach terminal and at the top of the Main Street shopping/entertainment street which leads to the beach.

Dear Adam, Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry you could not stay longer than 1 night with us. We will certainly be sure to investigate the Kitchen pest matter, but as with all properties the state of the Kitchen area can often be influenced by other guests.

Real cool place, very chilled but it's an awsome hostel!! More like a villa... I was sunbathing reading a book the lush pool on my left and the little lake on my right with little turtles in it! The food is really good value and so tasty! Reminds me of my mums cooking lol... Free internet, and only $6 bike ride.. There's not much in the area but I didn't want to leave! Will hopefully return!

This is a wonderful place to be. Great location, walking distance to most of the atractions in Surfers Paradise. I will stay definitely there in the future.

Dear Mariusz, we look forward to greeting you on your return and thank you for taking the time to note our superb location and your wonderful stay.

Good location, nice staffs and facilities. A dryer on the 4th floor is malfunction. They really need to give refund for that.

The location was very good. Its really closed to the greyhound busstation and the beach. I had a nice time there.

• 24th Jan 2014
  • Switzerland

Rooms need AC urgently! You cannot sleep after 7am because the heat won't let you.

This was by far my least favorite hostel on my whole trip. I had to wait more than an hour (after official check-in time) to get into my room and find out that it had not even been cleaned. The bathtub was almost black, there was dirt everywhere and used towels on the floor. The water would not stop running and when I went to reception they just sent a plumber who couldn't really help. So he turned off the water completely and made a comment on how disgusting the bathroom looks.

Dear Lina, Thank you for taking the time to note your concerns and we apologise for not meeting your basic expectations. It is an exceptionally busy time of year and check-ins have had delays and we are working to improve this. I have been able to locate your individual room number through guest history and will action the bathroom items accordingly. Once again thank you for your feedback and safe travels. If you require any further information please email us directly on info@islander.com.au

Great place. Met the best people. Would stay again. Bathroom not amazing but its in ur room so better than having to tale all toilettes with u :) would stay again for sure.

Hi Bo, Travelling is as much about the people as it is about the experience and scenery. Fantastic to hear that you were able to meet up with some new people and may return to us in the future. All our rooms are ensuited so no late night hallway escapes but I do acknowledge that they are mature in age :). Appreciate the feedback.

Could not stay as I was Australian resident and did not have a nomad card

• 25th Dec 2013

Thanks for your comment Luke, we welcome all nationalities but as noted on this website you either require a passport for check in or a Backpacker membership card such as Nomads. This is stated on all our partners sites. We hope you will return in the future.

It's missing some useful stuff in the kitchen

• 21st Dec 2013

Big hostel,

Really enjoyed this hostel , location was superb for our needs and all the people we encountered were highly friendly :)

• 10th Dec 2013

Hi Josh, Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and recognised that our location is as good as it gets. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Rooms are clean. Big kitchen with fridge and storage and all the cooking utensils you need. Guests at the hostel get free access to swimming pool and spa which is excellent. Everything's in walking distance. The only drawback is that if your room is next to/near the swimming pool and spa, it can get really noisy at night. All in all, probably the best value for money in Oz.

View all Surfers Paradise Hostels