Istiklal Hostel Reviews

Divanyolu cad no 70, Sultanahmet/Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey

Best location in Istanbul and a delicious free breakfast. The deck area was lovely. The lack of facilities was an issue- no kitchen and only 1 bathroom and shower (combined) for 10 people. There was an extra toilet in the common area but it didn't have a toilet seat. Also, having a bed 1 metre from the bathroom door in the dorm room made things pretty awkward. 1 staff member brought new guests into the room at 1am, switched on all the lights and talked loudly despite 8 people being asleep

I can't understand why this hostel has such a high mark. It's one of the worst I've ever been. The position is good, but the reception is on the top floor (5th or 6th, I can't remember), it's quite dirty, our room has a bathroom but it's small - so we always have to wait - and very dirty. The worst part is: it's March and we are given only a miserable, thin blanket. No wonder we caught cold soon after

Very nice staff, friendly, top location.

Wonderful and welcoming staff, fantastic location, and amazing breakfasts, a perfect first hostel experience for me! Although there weren't enough lockers in the dorm room and the bathroom wasn't always 100% clean, the atmosphere and people at this hostel definitely made up for it. I would absolutely recommend it!

• 3rd Mar 2014

For a hostel this was wonderful. The description for the room with a "Turkish bath" was a little misleading, unless we got the wrong room. Would have gone with the less expensive one if we knew that the turkish bath was just a shower. But everything worked well, the internet was good, we had hot water, the recommendations for food by the staff was the best food we had on our entire trip! The hostel was very secure, the included breakfast was yummy, the heater in the room worked well.

• 26th Feb 2014

Amazing location, brilliant staff! Had an absolutely fantastic time here, couldn't fault it! Genuinely one of the best places I've been. And the trek up the seemingly never ending stairs is totally worth it!

Great Location! Love the staff! Would stay again!

I had a great time staying here! Met some really cool roomies here and the staff is really nice and helpfull!! Defs would recommend it!

• 26th Jan 2014

My freinds and me Just spent a wonderful moment their, if people go theire for exerienced a new horizons, I can say it's the right place to be in. every thing we discovered theire is a part of our experience we just have to appreciate it and love it. It 's not only my thought but my freind too, we are thankful to the staff specialy Adam who did a lot for us, Sinan and the 2 womens that I forgot the name they were just so kind

• 28th Dec 2013
  • Morocco

My stay was great! The staff was amazing, they make you feel at home.

Staff were friendly, location is awesome! Just be aware that the stairs are spiral and there is no lift!

Adam was aazing! I really enjoyed staying here the beds are super confortable, the common area has an awesome view and has great breakfast. Totally recommended.

This hostel is over rated. We had no hot water for 4 days, and on one day no hot water at all (apparently a gas problem). Not enough seating in common space, room for about 5 people so it was always full. Outdoor area had more space, but guy working there was smoking a lot there and it was very cold. Not much cleaning done in dorm, maid would tidy up your belongings (which we didn't want them to touch). Bathroom was only cleaned about once in 5 days. Slow wifi. Cheap, and a good location though.

Good location near the blue mosque and haghia sophia, nice and helpful staffs, the room is clean, good breakfast

Thanks Adem and the wonderful team of staff @ Istiklal Hostel. I don't think my stays at Istanbul, Turkey would ever be the same if it weren't because the hostel which linked me together with some of coolest travelers. Highly recommended if you are looking for a place offers more bang for your buck.

Cool hostel in a good location but the staff is what makes this a great hostel. Adem was fantastic! There was a slight mishap with the availability of our room and he worked to sort everything out, get us set up, and brought us a bottle of wine for the mistake. The hostel is located in the heart of Sultanahmet a block from the tram and basically across the street from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and the cistern. Would highly recommend this hostel to friends.

One of the best hostels I've stayed in! Clean, friendly, relaxed environment, close to everything and excellent value for money. Adem and the rest of the staff were easy-going and helped with directions, great places to go out and to eat, and were very knowledgeable about the city.

Just had one night here. Nice to not have bunks. Lots of stairs to go up but nice outdoor area. Staff friendly and welcoming.

it was good hostel. nice price with good breakfast. there is also shuttle bus to the both airport from that hostel as well.

The owner and the staff were awesome! They were very eager to help out and friendly at the same time. I met a lot of interesting people here, including one recent graduate of my college, which is beyond fantastic! Definitely recommended if you want to stay very close to all the tourist attractions in the old city of istanbul. The hostel is only 50 meters away from the tram station and lots of restaurants are nearby to choose from. Beware of overpriced food tho.