Istiklal Hostel Reviews

Divanyolu cad no 70, Sultanahmet/Fatih, Istanbul, Turkey

When I arrived, the female dorm that I had reserved was overbooked, so I received a free upgrade to a private room. That was much appreciated! It was quiet. The staff were very friendly. The breakfast was nice. On the downside, the shared bathroom was always a bit flooded from the shower and not very clean. (Maybe this is due to the other people staying there more than the cleaning staff?) The reception was at the very top of a spiral staircase that was difficult to navigate with my luggage.

Really nice hostel,nice staff,good location,stay in private 3 bed room,located in other building but still good location and facilities,near to tourist attractions,near mosque,have balcony,only problem with heating system not function adequately.but still ok.highly recommended.

Great place to stay! It is less than a 5 minute walk to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. Staff was great and the breakfast was delicious. Overall A !

I really enjoyed this hostel. The location was perfect. The common area was brilliant where strangers became friends. I highly recommend this hostel. Not for the faint hearted if u don't like climbing stairs. 5 floors to the terrace which contains the reception. Can be a little confusing with no signs but keep climbing and you'll get there.

super confi beds))))) and colors of rooms..

Perfect location!!!!!!!!!! 2 minutes to hagi Sophia, 2 mins to tram stop, easy to find, unlike other Istanbul hostels), clean and cozy dorm with ensuite bathroom, nice rooftop terrace were you can relax and drink tea, also good breakfast. There you can get a lot of info about everything you need, buy an Istanbul card and book a shuttle to both of airports. But the main advantage was stuff , they were my friends and my family! So friendly, cheerful and helpful.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Turkey

This Hostels is the most perfect hostel I have been. Lately I have been stay at 4 to 5 star hotel.But Since I went to Istabul alone I decided to stay at a hostel to meet new people.Was the best decision ever, I saved money,made a lot new friends and I stay at a very well located hostel and cozy, the 6 bed room dorms for female are the cutest ever. Thank you Istikla Team for my wonderful stay in Istanbul..I coming back soon.

• 9th Dec 2014

This hostel has a perfect location! You can walk from there to the main attractions of the old city. The room was clean, lot of space and a good bed. And the staff is great, they are very helpful and happy to host you. Thank you guys!

The reception and breakfast area on the roof is cosy an has some view on at least one minarett. Most rooms seem to be in one or more other houses without views: We booked a room for 3 and got a room with 6 beds. The only point was, that the room also served as storage room for excess furniture and matresses. There was no tap water for a time, the same as earlier commenters mentioned. For us it was OK for just 1 night, for a longer stay I would insist on a room without that storage room style

• 29th Nov 2014
  • All Male Group, 41+

This hostel is in the central of old city with 2min-walk to Sultanahmet Tram Station. It's especially important for a woman who traveled solely. The owner and staffs of Istiklal hostel were extremely friendly and made me feel like home when stay there. I rarely stay in the same place when traveling. However, I spent four nights here simply considering of their hospitality.

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Taiwan

I stayed here recently, found the staff friendly. Easy to meet fellow travellers - I ended up staying at Istiklal a second time on my trip! Excellent location.

NICE owner&staff, perfect localisation.

The staff was nice and willing to help, very friendly! Perfect location, you can see Aya Sofia directly from terrace!

Great and very friendly atmosphere, location is perfect, just hundred meters from historical buildings like Haghia Sofia and Topkapi Palace. The staff was very friendly.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Friendly staff, a nice terrace view and warm and clean rooms

Excellent place to stay to see the city, the hostel is made by the 2 lads that work there, really nice and helpful chaps and will take extra time to point you in the direction, share a Turkish tea and be as helpful as possible they were just excellent. Would 100% recommend. Andrew (London, England)

• 20th Sep 2014

I love istanbul because of this hostel ^^!! It has a fantastic location which is just next to starbucks in sultanahmet so you don't need to lose your way. and the staffs are really helpful! I was like at home^^ actually, i stayed this hotel for 4nights and visited again for my last night in Turkey. and next time i definitely will stay istiklal hostel again ^^!!! I miss everything ! Istiklal hostel, lovely friends, blue mosque..

• 10th Sep 2014
  • South Korea

very helpful staff, great atmosphere, terrace with amazing views, good breakfast, great location

Difficult to find. I'd asked for airport transfer and there was no one to pick me up. When I got there could not find anyone, no sign to night reception at the top of the building. Was given a room in a third floor flat 10 minute walk away (when I was meant to be in 4 bed dorm) DID NOT FEEL SAFE. Room and bathroom were old and grotty. The door code didn't work. Would not recommend.

clean and confortable Conveniently located in the heart of the touristic area Nice staff but VERY poor organization

• 17th Aug 2014