JGH Tokyo Reviews

13-45, Nakacho,Kawaguchi-shi, Saitama Prefecture, Tokyo, Japan

Mieko-san was positive, kind, and helpful from start to finish, even though the circumstances of my stay were less than wholly desirable. Some of the facilities are clearly hand-made but everything works and the place is peaceful, quie, and close to Kawaguchi station. Will definitely stay again!

• 24th Feb 2015

Really small, but nice. Considering the price it's awesome value for money. Just don't expect anything fancy at this price. It's small. The staff is super nice and helpful!

Ha ha wow this place has to be seen to be believed....my ' single room ' consisted of my own quartered off section that had been engineered with plywood and two by fours to make coffin style stacked beds to house a dozen people in a room that could maybe fit four comfortably. No where to put luggage! Snowboard bags were strategically placed in the hallways to make narrow walkways even more impossible to move in without hitting something....absolutely no privacy whatsoever! But Meiko is so great

JGH is great! The only thing that I found a bit annoying was how far it was from the rest of the city, you are going to need to get on trains if you want to see the rest of the city. I would recommend 10/10 to any one who wants to start of slowly in Japan.

It's a nice place with good money value, the main problem is it's a bit far away from city centre, which may cause additional cost for travelling, esp in Japan, because train is very expensiv.

Mieko-san went out of her way every time there was something I needed done - be it help with the directions, recommending a nice place, offering advice and even medical assistance for my temporary ailments, a kind word when needed, just about anything. This is the place to go, especially if you're in need of some healing! Mieko-san and the boys will genuinely want you to feel welcome and comfortable. P.S.: Don't miss out on the local public bath!

• 26th Jan 2015
  • Serbia

The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful, and I was given a cup of warm green tea when I arrived at the hostel. Very clean and a safe hostel. It is a good place for staying for couple of nights but if you are staying longer it might not be the best place. I would go there again if I come to Tokyo for vacation!

• 20th Jan 2015
  • Turkey

JGH is a great hostel ! I've been there twice and I was never disappointed. The woman in charge, Mieko-san, is nice, helpful, and she speaks English very well (very useful if you don't speak Japanese). The hostel is not very close to Tokyo, but the train doesn't take much time to get there. The area of Kawaguchi is quiet and relaxing, and there is a nice public bath that accepts tatooed people ! Good cheap place to stay if you have time to visit and want to meet people from around the world.

• 16th Jan 2015

The room I was in was slightly cramped with three three-level Bunk beds, however I was more or less the only person in the room during my stay. The showers were a little cramped but they are curently constructing a new shower room. I have slight concerns about sequrity as there are no locks on the doors, and the doors pass code is stuck to the front door. The staff were sweet and I would recomend it for a cheap base to explore Tokyo

The route from the station has quite a bit of walking, but no big deal if you're used to walking a lot. Plus, there are lots of shops there. Staff were nice and friendly. Its size makes it feel warm and cozy, though some people may find it too small. If you get to pick the bottom deck of the beds, there's an empty area to place your things out of the way of people. The showers were cramped, however, and the laundromat to wash clothes is some distance away as there isn't one you can use there.

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

You get what you pay for- a place to sleep and shower. Not recommended if you're planning on spending time lounging since there isn't exactly any privacy in the rooms. The staff are very, very friendly and eager to help you out with anything. Sleeping is easy unless other guests are up until the wee hours of the morning being noisy, but that has nothing to do with the actual hostel. I would definitely stay again if I needed to stay close to Tokyo for cheap.

• 28th Dec 2014

A cheap hostel, good for a few nights. Dorms are small, with little space for movement or bag storage (no lockers either). However staff and other guests were friendly and polite. The location is not far from Tokyo itself, though the initial directions to the hostel were lacking. The area is not particularly English friendly, but one can still manage. The showers are quite disappointing - I am only 185cm, but was barely able to maneuver in the two showers used for the entire hostel.

• 23rd Dec 2014

Here you can feel like home! The personnel is extremely friendly and it's easy to get to know other guests. Not too much room in the dorm but it was perfectly OK for me. The location is not in the city centre but easy and cheap to travel there by train.

• 9th Dec 2014
  • Finland

The beds are small but the place is really clean the staff is really friendly and all the interesting places are nearby I have stayed twice in this hostel its great!

You really get what you pay for, which isn't much. I only spent 1 night there, and I don't see any reason to complain: a bed and a warm (if, in this case, tiny) shower was all I needed, and I got it.

• 22nd Nov 2014

The hostel was small but nice. But the showers are really small and also the sleeping room was so tiny, no place at all to put my stuff somewhere. For one night it was ok, because the staff was REALLY nice and friendly! But i would not recommend this hostel if it was for a longer stay, cause it's far out from central tokyo and there is no possibility to cook. But the atmosphere was good and i had a good night.

Super good value for the $$$. Common room was small but otherwise v comfortable

• 8th Nov 2014

Anyone with backpacking experience will have no problem with this place! It's clean, nice atmosphere, friendly staff. The only nuisance is that it's a bit out of the way, but the walk to the train station has a really nice park, and it's really safe. Overall I would recommend it!

Hello The location of the hotel is good, very handy for northeastern Tokyo and most important rail connections as the Keihin Tohoku line goes directly to Tokyo station. The hotel staff is super nice and helpful. I was sent several emails with exact directions. The place is however quite small with little room for luggage. The bathroom is tiny and cramped. Overall what you pay for you get. Valerie

Ayumi, one of the staff members, is super nice! We were offered green tea upon arrival. My friend and I stayed here for two nights. The place feels too crowded for my taste. Both in the public area, bedroom, and bathroom. And I felt like it was quite a walk to the subway. However, if you're on a budget, not a bad place to stay.