JGH Tokyo Reviews

13-45, Nakacho,Kawaguchi-shi, Saitama Prefecture, Tokyo, Japan

A cozy hostel with good hospitality although it's a bit far from central Tokyo.

The hostel was a great place to stay if you want to get away from the craziness and hustle-and-bustle Tokyo lifestyle.

JGH is a no frills hostel experience. If you are simply looking for somewhere to lay your head and get some kip at bottom dollar then it's a safe bet. Technically it's in Saitama, not Tokyo but getting where you need to go is easy enough. It's clean, it's honest and it's quiet. I would stay here if you plan to adventure in the city but want peace when you need to sleep. NOT a party hostel!

• 4th Feb 2016

Lovely stay, lovely host. A bit of a walk from the nearest station and minimum of two transfers to any major attractions. But the flexibility and awesome hospitality definitely compensates for the extra distance.

Love this place

This was a great hostel to begin with in Tokyo. I became sick with the flu in the first few days and ended up having to stay in the hostel all day for 3 days. The woman who lives and works there is very friendly, speaks good English, and is super helpful. She knew that I was not feeling well and she brought me soup and fruits. I was stunned by this showing of generosity. I've stayed in many hostels in many countries and I've never had such a caring host.

Good value for money, easy and cheap to get to the city center by metro, nice owner, very clean, some kitchen facilities such as microwave.

Really friendly and helpful staff let me shower 5 hours after my check out and held my bags the whole time too! Not much of a common room but meet some cool blokes in the room.

• 21st Jan 2016

We were very happy with our stay at JGH Hostel. The biggest downside was the lack of multiple showers which could lead to a bit of a wait. The owner was extremely helpful in telling us how to get places and when I lost my bag on the metro she was kind enough to lend me her phone to get it back. I was VERY appreciative of her help and would definitely recommend.

Extremely helpful

• 20th Jan 2016

Overall it is a pretty good hostel. Beds are comfy but literally next to each other which is awkward as a female ending up with the middle bed. It didn't really bother me at all because the beds are pretty big but if you're a female travelling alone perhaps you'd prefer the female only dorms. Room lovely and warm which hasn't been the case for a few other hostels. Not in the centre of Tokyo about 30 minutes out on the train. Not a problem at all with a JR Pass. Will be staying again next week.

Mieko was one of the nicest hosts I have ever met. The location shouldn't defer you from staying in this hostel as everything else was excellent.

Very comfortable!The lady who runs the hostel is a sweetheart !

JGH is in a great, quiet neighbourhood and is only a very short walk from the train station, and then only a few stops to the central areas in Tokyo. Meiko and the rest of the staff were incredible - extremely helpful, caring and lovely. I would and have recommended this hostel to anyone wanting a really cheap and great hostel close to central Tokyo. Thanks Meiko!!

• 12th Jan 2016

NOT IN TOKYO! Its a 25 minute JR train ride from the centre. Costs 220 yen each way to get to/from centre! No common room so difficult to socialise. Lady is very nice but this really isn't a hostel as such. The rooms are cramped. One guy was put in a cupboard (he did have a mattress at least). Some of the beds are next to each other (no gap between beds), a little too close for comfort. Especially when you have a big smelly drunk guy that snores like Jubba the Hut every night 30cm from your head

It's indeed a small place but very homely and well kept. Mieko san is a lovely lady like everyone says too!!

• 26th Dec 2015
  • Romania

Everything you need, very helpful and flexible.

If you're going to read any review on this hostel please read mine! I stayed at JGH 2 times during my trip. You definately get your money's worth! Meiko and the other staff are so lovely, she let me leave my suitcase at the hostel for a few weeks while I travelled around, this was a massive help. The rooms are so cozy and spacious. There is also a public bath near by that is so amazing, it makes you feel as though you've had a 3 hour massage. Overall I'd definately recommend this hostel!

• 12th Nov 2015

There is no "common room" as advertised (unless you count the hallway; I don't, nor should Hostel World). The futons were adjacent to one another on one single platform and one restless sleeper sprawled his limbs (accidentally) into my bed twice in one night! No big deal for me but it was a mixed dorm so I can imagine much worse scenarios. The owners are sweet so I hate to complain but it really is sub-standard. Toilet seat heaters were a nice plus! On the whole though, quite cramped.

Stayed here for 5 nights and it was our first stop on a 6 month trip. We got our room ungraded because there were no beds left which was an added bonus. It's about a 20 minute walk from the train station which isn't ideal if you've got a heavy backpack. It's location is a little out of the way and can be difficult to find. Helpful that the hostel email you exact details of how to get there though! The hostel was very clean and lovely. could do with a common room, but I would definitely recommend