Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Unfortunately there was something why we were irritated. We put our food in a box in the kitchen (we were in room 37 but put in 34 which was free)&labeled our bags in the fridge with the wrong room number (by mistake).too When we came back someone emptied the box but not the plastic bags in the fridge - probably because he/she had to clean it when people checked out. We got a few things back at the reception but most of it was gone. Why were our bags in the fridge still there but not the box?

Best value for the money. Perfect way to travel and meet others. The Jailhouse was everything they said they were and more. I would stay here again and highly recommend it t others especially young people traveling on a budget.

Really cool hostel! Facilities are very good and clean (the rooms smell great) and every bunk bed has two sockets, a lamp and the top one has a little shelf. Kitchen is nice and spacious and there are many chill out spots (loads of dvds in the tv room). The hostel itself is probably one of the best ones ive ever stayed at, but the only downside is that its half an hour walk from the city centre and doesnt have any nice supermarkets nearby.

will happily stay again

• 29th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

Very quirky but at the same time looses nothing of its origins. Functions really well, and would rate as one of the best run, very well organized hostel. I would say using travelers as staff who actually Know exactly what travelers really do need works a treat.

• 29th Jan 2016
  • Couple, 41+

Overall Jailhouse was good place to visit- with all quirky signs to enhance the theme of a Jail. The facilities were great overall, only concerns was in bathrooms there was no seats to place gear, there was no option to have female share rooms and there wasn't an option to keep baggage in secure room if arriving early.

• 28th Jan 2016

The light was broken When I used shower

• 25th Jan 2016
  • Japan

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. We're sorry to hear that you encountered the shower room the night that the bulb blew. Unfortunately is was outside retail hours so we were not able to buy a replacement that night. As soon as we were alerted to it we placed a sign on the door to let guests know about it and explain that there is a unisex shower which can be used as an alternative. We're happy to say that we replaced it as soon as we could the very next day but we're sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused you, Kind regards, The Jailhouse Team

Awesome hostel a 20 min walk from Christchurch town centre!

A unique place, really enjoyed staying here, thank you Jailhouse!

• 21st Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

It exceeded our ecpectations. Clean, secure and safe. It was also only a short walk to the botanical gardens and the train station

Grimy kitchen with scant and much broken equipment.

• 17th Jan 2016
  • Mixed Group, 41+

It's a bit different to the usual hostel, staying in an old jail, definitely worth a visit.

Nice clean place to stay with a good location close to many restaurants and coffee houses. When you arrive they ask you to be respectful and quiet at night as the jail is obviously very echoey. Unfortunately some of the residents did not follow this advice which made for a difficult night of sleep (no fault of the hostel) They had some interesting original inmate art and some cool original uniforms and other artifacts they preserved. Overall would recommend.

Great hostel. Tvs in room, towels and comfy beds. Shower facilities are clean and good. It's great sleeping in a cell and they've left it to feel quite like the old days. No hairdryer for girls is my only down side.

• 16th Jan 2016

Well, it's a jail and has some jail feeling... Besides that Everything is Really clean, good rental bikes for 15 dollars a day. They have some quiet zones at night which is good on the one hand, but unfortunately the kitchen is placed directly near such a zone, so you have to walk a little from the kitchen to a place where you can eat and socialise at the same time.

• 11th Jan 2016

An excellent hostel. Really welcoming and accommodating staff. Rooms are spacious, really clean and really comfy. Not too many rooms so not overwhelmed with people. The kitchen is big and spacey. Located about a 20 min walk from town so not the most central. Staff are really helpful and keen to answer any questions you may have. 3 supermarkets not too far away. Showers were the best showers I have had so far in NZ! Hot and powerful!! Also some cool jail history on display An excellent hostel

This is such a funky, fun place to stay! Staff were lovely and helpful and very friendly. Bathroom facilities were good and there was a separate movie and tv room also away from the lounge area. You can walk into town in about 25 minutes through the botanical gardens which were lovely. Or you can hire bikes from the hostel - great idea! A very nice pub is located nearby (great food!), as well as a few cafes that did an excellent breakfast and yummy coffee!

• 9th Jan 2016

I booked and paid for a single room and was put in a 10 bed dorm and was told they were fully booked and could not change me. The young girl on at the time of my check in had a I could not care less attitude. When I checked in again a week later after my trip I asked for a single room and was put into a six bed that I had booked. The women on at the time was kind enough to write me a letter to help me get my money back for the single room as I was put in the 10 bed dorm. I

• 9th Jan 2016

The lady at the front desk was so helpful and told us where to go and what to see.

Nice hostel, great idea. Staff are friendly and helpful. Only bad thing to say is the internet did not work at all when we stayed there.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5