Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch

8.7
Fabulous 3412 Total Reviews

• New Zealand, Male, 41+
16th Feb 2017

I stayed here while in Christchurch for the B 52s and Simple Minds concert. Very friendly staff and a central location, with quirky features like the 'jail break' uniforms for sale. I would definitely recommend this hostel, the only issue I had was the loud snoring from other guests in the ten bed dorm that I slept in!

• USA, Male, 41+
16th Feb 2017

You can open your jail cell door whenever you want. Much better than the traditional arrangement. Highly recommended.

11th Feb 2017

Really cool place, although the dorms were deadly quiet - felt hard to strike up any conversations, lest the people who stayed in bed all day glare at you. Lots of space in the 10-person dorms. Theoretically there are lockers, but I was the only one using them, and lots of them had duvets in them. Great staff. Kitchens maybe a bit small for the number of people.

• USA, Male, 25-30
11th Feb 2017

Stayed for two nights to see Christchurch and relax while on my holiday before I had to fly back home. Was easy to find from the train station (after a decent walk) and the room I stayed in was what I expected. I wish that that the TV/lounge room was bigger and had a TV and not a projector and that there were more couches around the facility. The staff was helpful in planning my next day by helping me understand the transportation I needed. Overall I would come back again.

Hi there and thank you so much for taking the time to rate our hostel and it's great to hear that you'd be happy to come back to Jail! We're sorry that you were a little disappointed with the cinema room. Some of the guests enjoy the authentic movie theatre feel of watching their favourite film on a big screen. We hope you were able to find our other guest tv room, just off reception. In there we have comfortable couches and beanbags, a nice flatscreen tv with all NZ tv channels, Netflix and a fantastic collection of dvd's which are free to hire. Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and we look forward to seeing you in Jail again soon. The Jailhouse team

8th Feb 2017

It was totally worth the experience. I highly recommend! Just be prepared to walk into town...but walking is good for you.

Hi there and thanks you for rating us so highly. We agree that the 25 minute walk into town is great exercise, and it's especially nice when you take the route through our beautiful Hagley Park. There is also a frequent bus service into town (every 15 mins) The bus stop is just across the road from our hostel. The journey takes about 10 minutes and costs only $4 and you also get a free 2 hour return or transfer which is great value. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope to see you in Jail another time. The Jailhouse team

• Malaysia, Male, 31-40
8th Feb 2017

Great place to stay if you want a different environment It really used to be a real prison so this is probably the closest to being jailed if you are curious about how it is like being in a jail. It reminds me of the movie 'The Green Mile'. I liked it but my friend did not, may be because he is a little bit of a claustrophobic. He insisted on leaving the lights on all night long because he did not want to wake up being in a real prison. I had fun. Hightly recommended.

• USA, Mixed Group, 25-30
2nd Feb 2017

Great atmosphere! Only about a 25 minute walk to downtown Christchurch but buses are easily available if you would rather travel that way. Rooms and bathrooms were clean and kept up well. Staff was wonderful and so helpful in offering up tips and suggestions for things to do and see in Christchurch! Would stay again.

28th Jan 2017

Really worth staying for the experience!

• Australia, Male, 18-24
26th Jan 2017
7.7

Quite a nice, clean hostel and very friendly staff. Good location and easy walk to the park. Stayed in the 10 bed dorm and was standard. Only painful part is the no drinking after 9:30 and having to pretty much leave to socialise, felt like an old person place with such an early shut down time, but other than that we quite enjoyed our stay and the theatre was a very nice touch.

• Canada, Couple, 41+
25th Jan 2017

What a unique experience, loved it!