Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Totally recommend Jailhouse, the best tie I've ever had in prison :)

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • New Zealand

Lovely place with great staff. The fasciliites are great and the special touches make it a lovely place to stay. It is a short walk into the city and the beds are very comfortable.

If I wasn't stuck traffic I'd missed it! Signage is a must! Internet was slow 5pm on and the advertised Netflix seemed to work because of internet jams! Extremely unique setting, everything you need and staff were more than willing to help me find way!

• 30th Jun 2015

Hi and thank you for rating our hostel. Great to know that overall you enjoyed your stay. Jailhouse is tucked down a driveway but we do have a sign (illuminated at night) out on the roadside. Sorry you had problems with Netflix. Your review has prompted us to do some testing and it can sometimes take a few minutes to load at high internet usage times but once loaded it works fine with no interruptions. Thanks again for your valuable feedback The Jailhouse Team

Loved it! Have spare blankets, hot water bottles, hair dryers! Well stocked kitchen, nice showers, comfy beds, clean. Staff were lovely. Will definitely be staying again!

We enjoyed the authenticity of the hostel, the room was a bit cold with a draft from the window but bedding was nice and warm and there was a hot water bottle to be used :-) Nice shower but no shelf to put your toiletries on and lack or place to put your cloths and towel while you shower. Good value for money and good location.

Cool hostel! Loved that it was an old jail. Only stayed for one night but facilities seemed good

A unique accommodation once an actual jail. I believe they don't have to come out with better marketing strategy. The accommodation is very clean, among the best of my stay in New Zealand. Room is very spacious too. However, wifi will be charged after the first free 500mb data which I think today it's completely a necessity for travellers. Better to sit in Burger King restaurant next to the building for unlimited and super fast wifi than paying the Internet data in jailhouse. Overall, very good

We were locked up for one night and enjoyed our stay. We went for the jailhouse theme and they really delivered on that! They has netflix and tones of movies which was awesome! The facilities were quite clean. The only downfall was that the entire common areas are freezing!

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. It's great to hear that you really enjoyed our facilities! We're sorry to hear that you felt cold in Jail. Our communal lounge is kept warm and toasty at all times with a gas heater and the guest rooms have central heating, set to come on at the coldest times of day and night. We also provide hot water bottles and extra duvets in all rooms. Thanks again for your valuable feedback The Jailhouse Team

Very cool hostel in an old jail. Really enjoyed the atmosphere but I was only their for a couple nights so I didn't meet anyone. Location close to the train station is ideal to catch the Transalpine, but the walk into the CBD takes awhile. It was very cold when I stayed but all rooms had hot water bottles and cozy blankets. Didn't use the kitchen but the showers were pretty good. 2 bed down rooms were cool. Overall enjoyed my stay!

The Hotel seems good and clean. I would say the staff is really nice and help me find the shuttle bus. Thank you.

• 12th Jun 2015
  • China

Jailhouse was great. A real historic jail with historic bars on the windows. Wow!

• 12th Jun 2015

On nights when temp is at -3, a little heat needs to be turned on in the sleeping rooms. I could see my breath 3 nights in a row. Extra blanket and hot water bottle aren't quite enough when temp is below 0.

Hi and thank you for your rating. We're sorry to hear you felt cold in Jail. We have a central heating system in all guest rooms which is programmed to be on in the evenings and mornings when it's colder. Our sunny communal lounge area is kept warm at all times with a gas heater and we're glad to hear that you found the extra blankets and hot water bottles available in all rooms. Extra blankets are also available from the friendly reception wardens. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

reception isn't 24/7; leaving keys on the counter for people arriving after hours is a very bad look in terms of security. I never did find an iron to yo with the ironing board. I would happily stay there again the bed was great, the hot water bottles a great touch.

Hi, and thank you for rating our hostel. It's good to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and are keen to come back. We take security very seriously and therefore our front door is locked when we close reception at 9pm. Our late night arriving guests receive a code which they have to then use to be able to access the building. The iron is available from our friendly Jail Wardens, during reception hours (8am-9pm) Once again thanks for the comments and we hope to see you in Jail again soon.

Overall good, love the hot water bottles!

• 5th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

It was everywhere cold. The bathroom wasn't clean anf the toilets are unpractical:

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • Switzerland

Hi and thank you for your rating. We're sorry you felt cold in Jail. We have a central heating system in all rooms which is programmed to be on in the evenings and mornings when it's colder. Our communal lounge area is kept warm at all times with a gas heater and we hope you found the hot water bottles and extra duvets available in all guest rooms. Our bathrooms are intensively cleaned every day and then checked at intervals to maintain our high standards of cleanliness.

Great idea and concept! Good to see an old prison being put to good use.

• 26th May 2015

Really cool place to stay, good location, very clean. I didn't meet very many people there but the atmosphere was cool with the jail history.

Great place...relaxed staff

Hostel is very clean and the architecture is cool but the atmosphere is not the best. Not easy to make friends and there isn't a friendly atmosphere

Excellent accommodation, definitiely a jail theme but a very clean and modern hostel. The free parking lot was the reason I bokoed the hostel knowing it was a little further from town. It was not far at all, it was approx. a 15 minute walk to get into town and botannical gardens. The staff was very helpful, and the jailhouse was an excellent experience overall and would recommend if you are driving/ have a car hire.

View all Christchurch Hostels