Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Fantastic hostel with historical significance. But the wifi is rubbish.

Perfect place for an overnight. Great welcome and simple, fair rules for 'inmates'. Loved it!

• 2nd Dec 2015

Never thought I'd be eager to return to jail! Many thanks for a peAceful, pleasant stay.

• 1st Dec 2015
  • New Zealand

Hostel not well located, staff were helpful. Not much of a social atmosphere but great one night stop, clean and pretty cool to stay over

The quietest and cleanest hostel that I've stayed in.

• 29th Nov 2015

A fun idea for a hostel! The beds were comfy and there were some nice common areas. There's good coffee too or you can get a voucher for a free hot drink with your breakfast at the nearby Addington coffee company. It's a nice walk into town. I'd definitely stay there again.

The place was extremely cold. The toilets in the female bathroom hardly has room to manoeuvre and it smelled of urine The internet didn't work for a long period of time There was hair in my bed and all over my pillow The curtains were broken and I could close them at all and the angle of the window made it impossible to close the curtain

Staff were really friendly and helpful, kitchen was excellent and always very clean and tidy. Communal seating areas were great for meeting other travellers. The only downsides were the free wifi was a little shaky while I was there and it's a good 20 min walk into town or the nearest supermarket.

Defiantly worth experiencing the hostel even if it's a little way from the city centre. Staff friendly and attentive. Beds and showers were good. If only all prisons were this comfortable and welcoming!

Bit of a walk from town, but clean and comfortable

Great novel location, well worth staying.

Jailhouse rocks! Really good hostel all round with some great small details such as individual lights and plugs by each bed. The building and prison theme is great. Very good kitchen, showers and toilet. Unfortunately when we arrived their server was down so no wifi, the staff were good about it though. Location is quite bad though, it's about 20-30 min walk to the centre and there's nothing close-by. Was also a bit confused to be woken up by children, but then that's not the hostels fault!

Wifi was not working during our stay,

• 16th Nov 2015
  • Taiwan

Hi, thanks for staying in Jail. We are really sorry about the WiFi on the day of your stay, in the end we just needed a new router so it was fixed quickly. We understand how important it is for guests to be able to access WiFi so fortunately we have few problems and have excellent IT support.

I don't like Jailhouse's price politic, charging 10$ more for the last available room. I prefer straight and transparent prices. I also can't see why Jailhouse secures their booking with a 10% front up fee in US$.

• 16th Nov 2015
  • Switzerland

Hi, thanks for your feedback. I have had a look at your booking and you were lucky enough to secure a discounted rate for one of your first nights, but that was not available for your second night, so unfortunately your single room was NZ$10 more. We use an International booking system which charges in $US, this suits the majority of our International guests. You are able to also chose other currency options on our website. I hope this clarifies things and hope you can stay again.

The bathrooms were awful. Not clean and not enough room to change privately.

• 14th Nov 2015

This was one of the best theme hostels I've ever been. Almost as good as the Jumbo jet. In my opinion, the toilets are the biggest downside of the hostel. I recommend you to stay in a room with bunk beds for authenticity. Near by Mediterranean restaurant is pretty good. (Try sharing the food.) Staff was really helpful with recommendations. Good for 1 or 2 nights, and if you get a sticky metro card transport to-from city centre won't be expensive.

• 14th Nov 2015
  • Cyprus

Tyler was the best

This was a fantastic place to stay. Very cool vibe and nice staff also.

• 12th Nov 2015

The best hostel I visited over the last 11 months. Clean, comfy, lots of clever stuff I haven't seen in an other hostel (e.g. glowing bed numbers - you don't need any light for finding your bed in the night) and the great jailhouse atmosphere. Go there! Even though you need to walk ten minutes to get to the city center.

Really great place. Fun. Different. Great location to nearby bars and cafés.

• 7th Nov 2015