Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Great place to stay! The women's toilet stalls were a little cramped, but the showers were nice and spacious. Location is not too bad. It takes about a half hour walk to westfield mall but there are lots of places to eat close by if that's all you're looking for. Staff were helpful and friendly. Highly recommend checking this place out!

• 9th Apr 2015

I absolutely LOVE this place!!! I'd give it a score of 120% if I could! What an amazing place to stay! Facilities are great, atmosphere is wonderful and I love what they've done with the place. You get the old look and feel of a jailhouse, but without the being locked up thing.

An awesome hostel, really cool interior and history. The staff were extremely friendly! The place itself wasn't really set up to meet people, but it was a fantastic place to stay.

Cool, loved it !

• 5th Apr 2015

It's pretty far from the city centre but that's the only criticism that I would have!

Loved the concept and uncluttered noticeboards (other hostels have).,best b ackpackers i have ever stayed in (30 years)

• New Zealand

Rated staff as av and that was driven by one person. staff on reception were excellent, unfortunately cleaning staff let them down. In particular there was one guy who was setting fire to stuff in the kitchen one night, with others watching him. It showed immaturity and a lack of respect for paying guests. Wifi was poor. Having paid for extra wifi it kept kicking me off and I wasn't able to join the network for long periods. The accommodation itself was nice, igreat to stay somewhere different

Overall a great place to stay that was handy to an event we were going to. The whole jail thing just added to it. Thought the rooms were excellent in that generally cool temperature and with windows that are able to be opened. Compared to other backpackers in other NZ cities felt price is steep but I understand this could be a result of earthquakes affecting accommodation available in CHCH and I spose make hay while the sun shines.

• New Zealand

Great place. As expected from a backpacker style accommodation. Has a unique aspect being a former jail - being able to see a couple of jail cells is great. Had everything we needed - just a bit noisy after hours with people coming and going very early. A couple of good pubs within 5-10 mins walk.

• New Zealand

Absolutely fantastic! We loved our stay here and will definately be staying every time we come to Christchurch. Couldn't have asked for better location, facilities and staff.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Amazing, unique place to stay - quite a talking point with fellow travellers & others. For that reason alone I would recommend it In fact it surpassed my expectations with extremely helpful staff (which included one off duty member, seeing me at a bus stop, checking my onward transport arrangements were ok), lovely free bath towel (a luxury after using a travel one for sometime!), spacious room with a comfortable well-made bed It is a walk into CHCH or the bus stops very close to the hostel

• 1st Apr 2015

we had a bouble bunk in a small cell half way down the run, 40cm thick walls, 200kg door, quiet as bro. though we didnt need them the hot water bottles and the thick duvets for cold nights were a nice touch. appreciated the fluffy towel after a weeks tramping. plenty of resteraunt options in close walking distance. helpful staff re transport to airport to catch an early flight home to oz. taxi to airport NZ$41! ouch. suss out the bus options if your not time poor.

• 1st Apr 2015

Really loved my stay at the Jailhouse!! It was very clean and organized with friendly staff

Liked individual room boxes in kitchen, but overall kitchen is too small for so many people.

Awesome concept! Loved that it used to be a jail. I arrived at 1am, and it was easy to get in and find instructions for my room. The shuttle bus from the airport drops you off right outside so I would definitely recommend using that! Room was clean and comfy, and the walk to town around 15 minutes.

Cool hostel to stay in, really feels like a jail sometimes (in a good way). Nice staff, kitchen and facilities. Bit of a walk to the city centre but its a nice walk all the same. Would stay again

This wasn't a very social hostel - no common areas where everybody would gather. Most of the people were staying for one night only. Also far from everything, it takes around 30 minutes to walk to the city.

nice and very quit hostel it has a nice atmosphere and very good staff. sleeping in a jail cell is something you should do

Great Hostel, Comfy beds, really clean!

• 24th Mar 2015

Fantastic experience! Excellent staff !

• 22nd Mar 2015