Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

It was one of the highlights of my trip. If you figure out the route the Info centre is a ten minute walk. There may not be much to do in Christchurch beyond the Antarctic Centre but the thrill of staying in the Jailhouse Accomodation rocked. Lots of restaurants and pubs nearby and the train station is also walkable. The only problem is the intercity bus drop off is far and one has to take a cab . But I believe the bus drop is moving nearer the bus depot in the city two stops away.

Very nice!!!! Thank u very much!

• 24th Sep 2015
  • Taiwan

Enjoyable stay with many friendly people from other parts of the world. Building re reverberates sound so curfews good. Thanks.

It's a really nice accommodation but I think the "Quiet Zone" at 9pm is a bit exaggerated. Maybe 10pm or 11pm would be more reasonable.

• 18th Sep 2015
  • Luxembourg

Thank you so much for taking the time to rate our hostel. Our quiet zone is in the atrium area where all the guest bedrooms are situated and we have put this in place to ensure all our inmates get a good nights sleep because the acoustics of the building mean that even small sounds carry far in that area. We have another lounge and tv room which is open 24 hours which is popular for socializing, eating and our famous movie/popcorn nights. thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Our short stay was great. Facilities are nicely refurbished and the place was clean. The atmosphere was cozy, which I didn't expect from a former jail. Overall, it was a unique experience of spending a night in prison.

• 15th Sep 2015
  • Philippines

Very cool place to stay. Staff was awesome. Could have been cleanlier- could see dust in places but I understand that the jail is probably pretty hard to clean.

• 11th Sep 2015

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel and it's so good to hear you had a fantastic stay. We agree that dust can build up really quickly and your comments prompted us to have a big spring clean which is well under way. We hope to see you in Jail again soon!! Thanks again for your valuable feedback The Jailhouse Team

What a great place- so handy for the Court Theatre where we saw a show. Eateries galore close by . The best part is really the old jail which is so different! We loved the quietness, we are an older couple.... a really highly recommended hostel.

• 10th Sep 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Great use of theme throughout hostel. Great amenities, although a little way from any nearby larger food stores

Had a great stay for the short time we were there 😊 best back packers I've ever stayed in!

• 4th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Very cold in room, was nice that they provided hot water bottles & extra duvets :) but the room itself with its wooden floors was freezing. Room was tiny - aware of the Jail cell atmosphere but for a higher price than the other hostels I had stayed in Chch for the same type of private room I didn't think it was value for money at all & in all honesty wished I had picked somewhere else. I understand the "unique" vibe to the place & it does promote itself well, it just wasn't suitable for me.

• 29th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Thank you for rating us.We're sorry to hear you felt cold in Jail. We have a central heating system in all guest rooms which is programmed to be on in the evenings and mornings when it's colder. Our sunny communal lounge area is kept warm at all times with a gas heater & we're glad to hear that you found the extra blankets/hot water bottles available in all rooms.Extra blankets are also available from the friendly reception wardens.Your comments have prompted us to adjust the heating programme.

Staff were brilliant - very positive, upbeat and helpful. The front area was very warm but the rooms were freezing - even though the heating was apparently on (I spoke to a couple of others who agreed as well). Also the security, while ok, was not quite as good as I was expecting.

Thank you for taking the time to rate us.We're sorry to hear you felt cold in Jail. We have a central heating system in all guest rooms which is programmed to be on in the evenings and mornings when it's colder. Our sunny communal lounge area is kept warm at all times with a gas heater. We hope you found the extra duvets/hot water bottles available in all rooms.Extra duvets are also available from the friendly reception wardens. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

This hostel is great! Clean, warm and super cool.

• 27th Aug 2015

This is a very quirky and interesting place and defo worth a visit. I arrived very late from a flight but they emailed instructions on 'how to break into jail' and the key was waiting for me when I arrived. The location seemed quite out of town as 20-30 mins walk to shopping centre and bus stop but guess it depends what your after. It's certainly the safest place I've ever stayed!!!

cool place. I liked the old jail feel. the room was nice, however our bed was very squeaky (lol) not due to too much sexy time Otherwise we had a great time. Benjamin & Gesche

• 19th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Hi Benjamin & Gesche, Thank you for the great rating and for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We're glad to hear you had a great time in Jail but we are so sorry that you had a problem with the bed. Because they have metal frames, every now and again they may need the joints oiling and the screws tightening up. Your review has prompted us to check all of our beds and carry out any appropriate maintenance. Thanks again for your valuable feedback, The Jailhouse team

We had a great stay in jail! Great facilities and the novelty of being in a prison for the night! It's a little walk from the centre of town but there's plenty of food etc nearby. The other inmates were all pretty friendly too.

Helpful staff. Good location. Facilities generally good but video system in room needs upgrading. Clean but area where rooms come off needs has a smell and needs airing and better heating in rooms. Other facilities were great.

• 13th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

It's a nice place and the staff were friendly and helpful. But there isn't much to warrant a $10 higher price than other hostels, other than the novelty factor! E location I thought was a bit seedy and quite a walk from town.

• 11th Aug 2015

I would not give excellent as there wouldn't' be any incentive to improve.I was very impressed Just the same.

• 9th Aug 2015

Really cool hostel. Quite far from the city centre but there is lots of entertainment options on site. The staff were extremely generous in helping me plan and book my activities. Facilities were very clean and the showers were great-consistently hot! Thanks for the great stay.

It has novelty factor. Great for backpackers & young people , we were definitely the oldest 'inmates'.

• 3rd Aug 2015