Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

one of the best hostels i have ever stayed at. Very well set up and the facilities were excellent. would definitely stay there again

• 12th Feb 2015

The best hostel we stayed in NZ! The atmosphere of old jailhouse is something to experience! Very clean and a huge plus for not having full-floor carpeting in the rooms! Locations is bit out of the city center but the walk is not too bad, around 20 minutes. Only minus is that the free wi-fi did not work during our stay at least.

Dormir dans une ancienne prison un gros délire ! Propre, personnel sympa et qui vous aide si vous avez n'importe quelle questions j'y reviendrais avec grand plaisir !

Quirky place to stay which is still very true to its original jail history. It is aclean and has a good book swap section. Wifi was good and the staff member on the desk was very friendly. It is a really good idea that each bed is allocated a box in the kitchen to store their food. The hostel is a 20-30 minute walk from the botanical gardens/ naked bus stop.

Very nice hotel. Very different. Would recommend it

I feel like I was ripped off. Especially since I had stayed in a way nicer and cheaper facility at the YMCA. The Jailhouse Accomidation didn't let me cancel my booking since I had booked it within 24 hrs of my stay and I had no choice to cancel. They charged me for two beds because the room I stayed in sleeps 2. I hadn't asked for my own room and it's definitely not my fault that they couldn't book another person. They only give you 500MB of Internet. I wouldn't recommend it.

• 11th Feb 2015

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. Your booking was made online and it clearly state before you go ahead and confirm that we require 24hrs notice for a cancellation otherwise we need to charge for the night as we are not guaranteed to be able to resell the room at such short notice. This is in line with most accommodation across NZ. Also when you click on 'room type' it says that if you wish to book this room for one person you must book both beds in the room. Thanks again.

We really enjoyed ou stay. The people working at the main desk were so nice, friendly and helpfull. Again, I just have good words fot all the team at Jailhouse ! Mario P

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Nice and clean (even smelt clean when you walked in!) Excellent showers, nice and hot. Bit far from town without a car. Would recommend a friend to stay.

The hostel was pretty warm inside, despite Christchurch being pretty cold. As it was a jail the room doors were pretty heavy, the rooms a little cramped but they were also bright, well light and comfortable. Did not feel like a prison at all. The toilets were a tight fit - had to sit sideways in order to shut the door.

We thought that the hostel offered a very usual stay given that it was a refurbished jail that only had closed in 1999. The staff got into the mood of the prison atmosphere and all references to you were as if you were a prisoner coming to do your time. Very friendly and helpful and always there to give you guidance for tours etc. Would highly recommend.

• 5th Feb 2015

One of the best hostel I've ever stayed!! Definitely word to go here! Great staff, clean and the hostel is amazing!!

Best place to stay in Christchurch if you are on a budget. And even if you are not!

• 3rd Feb 2015
  • Finland

A very quirky hostel, it was once a jail after all. Very welcoming, helpful and friendly staff; my dorm was neat and tidy as was everywhere else in the hostel. Great for meeting other travellers. Quite possibly the best hostel that I've stayed in!

Super clean and great experience sleeping in a cell.

What a great stay! The hostel is undoubtedly one of the strangest and we spent quite some time exploring it! The rooms are comfortable and the facilities good and really very clean. It is a bit out of town however and a fair walk to the nearest supermarket, but really loved it here.

A really cool concept for a backpackers, the dorm rooms were adequate, the lock boxes need your own padlocks, so be aware of that and this isn't a party hostel, there is a noise curfew in the sleeping area so it's a good place to stay if your looking for somewhere a bit quieter. The kitchen was really good and had condiments and the bare essentials. Staff felt like they were being drained to do there job and looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but working. All in all, it's nice though

Great kitchen, absolutely helpful staff, huge amount of "travel inspiration" eg flyers for attractions, accommodations, etc.. And of course the Jailhouse Style - I really liked it a lot!

Unique hostel, little far from the city centre but good for the train station. Pleasant hostel but little going on in the evening.

Unfortunately they do not think it is a priority to update their website to advise that they do NOT have a shuttle to the train, which is actually quite important when it is a deciding factor in choosing to stay there. Not a hit with us, would not stay again.

• 25th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel and we're so sorry that we're no longer able to offer the free railway shuttle. As soon as the shuttle company advised us they were no longer operating we removed it immediately from our website. We did advertise it heavily with lots of other booking sites we are affiliated with and we admit it has proved a more difficult and lengthy process to remove all trace of it as we don't have full control of third party websites. The Jailhouse Team

Wifi hardly worked, especially in the evening. Found no room numbers upstairs and just one shower. Beautifully silent place! Brilliant idea the tv-room! Enjoyed the private lights the 10dorm, missed them in the 6dorm.

• 25th Jan 2015

Thank you for rating our hostel and we're happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your time in Jail. Sorry to hear about the wifi problem. We hope you reported it to our staff so we could investigate and try and rectify the problem. The room numbers are all places above the doors and we have one shower in the ladies toilet, 3 further ladies showers next door and a unisex shower/toilet on the ground level. Good idea about the lights, we are looking into installing some. Thanks again

View all Christchurch Hostels