Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

The cleanest hostel I've stayed at by far! :)

• 6th Mar 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the jailhouse. It's an amazing piece of history well preserved. Great coffee, friendly staff, good facilities. I was really impressed with the kitchen facilities. The first night sleep was unexpectedly peaceful. The doors opening and closing in the middle of the night was very authentically eerie which didn't bother me. The Wairua (spirit) of the place was very calm. I'm sure many a prayer were spoken within those walls. Definitely stay again. Kia Ora.

Not surprisingly for an ex-jail, the security was excellent. The super-thick walls and door kept all the sounds out so you are guaranteed a quiet night's sleep.

I definitely expected more of this hostel. There were no activities going on and the location is not central at all. It was clean, but I had definitely more modern looking bathrooms in other cheaper hostels. The room ( 6 bed ) was at least nice and there was enough place for the luggage.

Interesting new experience

Lovely! Have now been twice in jail in NZ. Contrary to real jail I would have liked to stay somewhat longer. Thankfull I remeber that toilets and showers where controlled and if necessary cleaned several times a day. This shouled be copied by YHA hostels in Australia.

• 1st Mar 2015

Clean, friendly, and quiet! Cool atmosphere- really enjoyed exploring the prison!

Really interesting hostel, especially the former cell that has been preserved. Good facilities and good security as its a prison too!

Novel accommodation, well kept and clean, very friendly informative welcome.

Really nice hostel. Shame I couldn't get a second night there because it was full of white-haired elderly cricket fans wandering around asking where the elevator was (there isn't one).

hostel in an old jail, funny atmosphere. wardens very friendly! would stay there again :)

Without doubt one of the best hostels I have stayed in. Brilliant concept, lovely and clean, fantastic facilities. Staff very helpful and lovely (a girl from Barnsley, England) and went out of her way to help me. Cant really think of any downsides about it. Good area too, some bars and take aways, only 15 min walk to CBD. Would definitely recommend

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. Great staff huge rooms with plenty of space for all guests. Tons of info about the area. Would l love to visit it again

Very cool to stay in a former prison.

• 23rd Feb 2015

Great hostel with great character. Great amenities, especially Netflix for when you've exhausted all sightseeing in Christchurch! Was so grateful for the lovely lady who checked me in when I was feeling poorly. She supplied me with extra pillows and was so kind. It was a friendly place but think some of the staff could make more effort to engage guests. I loved staying here and would definitely return if I was ever in Christchurch again. Thank you for having me :)

Just brilliant! Loved the atmosphere and the history of the jail. It was a great stay. A little bit out of town though. Nice and quiet at night. Great kitchen and bathroom facilities. Lovely quiet area upstairs with tables and chairs. Also a lovely area downstairs to eat and sit. We had a prk6vate double and they provided nice thick white fluffy towels and we also had a tv with access to free tv channels

Soundproofing is inherently poor due to the design of the 'prison'. Had a poor nights sleep due to the thin walls, doors crashing and people clomping up and down the stairs in the early hours. Take ear plugs! Excellent in every other way.

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The Jail is an awesome facility worth staying the night or more at! The historic building created a perfect hostel layout. Lots of hang out space separate from your room. Huge kitchen with lots of cooking supplies. The jail theme is through out the hostel, bedding, bowls, lingo! The beds were comfy and bedding was crisp and clean. No silly rules, deposits, restrictions, great place!

• 22nd Feb 2015

Fab hostel, clean, good showers and good facilities in kitchen. A bit of a walk from the city centre but worth stopping there just to stay in a jail!

The Jailhouse is a great place to stay. The staff are highly professional and the accommodation is well maintained. The only minor issue we had was with the neighbours on the RHS of the Jailhouse who are want to party late and early in the morning without regard to those staying in the hostel. Perhaps those responsible for this accommodation could be reminded of the need for their tenants to respect their neighbours in the way the Jailhouse and its residents respects them.

View all Christchurch Hostels