Jailhouse Accommodation Christchurch Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Common space near rooms would be vastly better if there were some beanbags

If you like something a little bit different then this hostel is definitely for you. The name speaks for itself really. Very friendly and helpful staff who help organise airport transfer. Plenty of restaurants nearby but bit of a walk to supermarket and the CBD (takes you through the botanic gardens though). Nice clean kitchen and bathrooms. Due to the acoustics of the hostel the quiet time starts quite early which can be seen as a positive or negative dependent on the purpose of your stay.

It was a lovely stay . The bed is very comfortable

• 20th Feb 2015
  • Hong Kong

Me and my sister just stayed here for a night. We checked in late (which was no problem) and checked out early. Thus there is not much I can say about this place. It seemed to be quiet interesting because of the prison setting. Location is rather far out but no problem to reach it by bus (even late). Just tell the driver where you want to go and they will make sure you get off at the right stop.

Quiet, quaint hostel. Spotlessly clean.

It was a couple dollars more than the other choices but I stayed in it anyway for the novelty of the old jail, and it was pretty cool to see how they had remodeled it all. The location is kind of far from the bus stop but close to the gardens and train station, and the staff was helpful and friendly enough.

• 19th Feb 2015

Fantastic jailhostel not far away from center of christchurch. Clean and cosy.

• 18th Feb 2015
  • Finland

Fantastic experience, super friendly staff and great facilities

• 17th Feb 2015

Very good, extremley clean! Perfect secure location, man on desk was very helpful and really welcomed us

• 17th Feb 2015

Really cool historical jail converted to a hostel. Located in Addington, just south of the southeast corner of Hagley Park and a 20 minute walk from City Center. Clean quiet rooms, lots of great amenties. Kitchen relatively clean and neat. Plenty of hot showers with great water pressure. Shower stalls could use curtains and a shelf though, and almost everything is behind the front desk (pool cues, DVDs). Internet is 500MB free for the duration of your stay, using a code.

one of the best hostels i have ever stayed at. Very well set up and the facilities were excellent. would definitely stay there again

• 12th Feb 2015

The best hostel we stayed in NZ! The atmosphere of old jailhouse is something to experience! Very clean and a huge plus for not having full-floor carpeting in the rooms! Locations is bit out of the city center but the walk is not too bad, around 20 minutes. Only minus is that the free wi-fi did not work during our stay at least.

Dormir dans une ancienne prison un gros délire ! Propre, personnel sympa et qui vous aide si vous avez n'importe quelle questions j'y reviendrais avec grand plaisir !

Quirky place to stay which is still very true to its original jail history. It is aclean and has a good book swap section. Wifi was good and the staff member on the desk was very friendly. It is a really good idea that each bed is allocated a box in the kitchen to store their food. The hostel is a 20-30 minute walk from the botanical gardens/ naked bus stop.

Very nice hotel. Very different. Would recommend it

I feel like I was ripped off. Especially since I had stayed in a way nicer and cheaper facility at the YMCA. The Jailhouse Accomidation didn't let me cancel my booking since I had booked it within 24 hrs of my stay and I had no choice to cancel. They charged me for two beds because the room I stayed in sleeps 2. I hadn't asked for my own room and it's definitely not my fault that they couldn't book another person. They only give you 500MB of Internet. I wouldn't recommend it.

• 11th Feb 2015

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. Your booking was made online and it clearly state before you go ahead and confirm that we require 24hrs notice for a cancellation otherwise we need to charge for the night as we are not guaranteed to be able to resell the room at such short notice. This is in line with most accommodation across NZ. Also when you click on 'room type' it says that if you wish to book this room for one person you must book both beds in the room. Thanks again.

We really enjoyed ou stay. The people working at the main desk were so nice, friendly and helpfull. Again, I just have good words fot all the team at Jailhouse ! Mario P

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Nice and clean (even smelt clean when you walked in!) Excellent showers, nice and hot. Bit far from town without a car. Would recommend a friend to stay.

The hostel was pretty warm inside, despite Christchurch being pretty cold. As it was a jail the room doors were pretty heavy, the rooms a little cramped but they were also bright, well light and comfortable. Did not feel like a prison at all. The toilets were a tight fit - had to sit sideways in order to shut the door.

We thought that the hostel offered a very usual stay given that it was a refurbished jail that only had closed in 1999. The staff got into the mood of the prison atmosphere and all references to you were as if you were a prisoner coming to do your time. Very friendly and helpful and always there to give you guidance for tours etc. Would highly recommend.

• 5th Feb 2015