Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Nice hostel but not much going on if you're traveling alone. Not much of the typical meet and greet and make friends for life going on. Also need more knowledgeable staff on so they can recommend stuff, not just fellow travellers who don't know local hang outs.

Such a cool place to stay! The staff were pretty cool too, very chilled and didn't make any part of it stressful at all and always there for any questions. Loved how the original cells were kept, giving the place an atmosphere.

• 15th Dec 2014

Excellent stay. Only stayed one night and the bed was comfortable, hostel was quiet, and it was clean. Extra bonus being the history of the building making it a unique experience!

Nice Hostel but nowadays everybody just needs an own locker. Furthermore the shower could really be renewed and the toilets are so small that its hard to close the doorr while standing in front of the toilet.

Thank you for rating our hostel and we're glad to hear that overall you liked being in Jail. We do have lockers in the dorm but we're thinking that maybe on the night you stayed, perhaps someone had a lot of luggage and used two lockers. We do have extra $2 lockers in our atrium and our staff are always happy to store valuable items in our office for a short time. We generally get great feedback about the fantastic pressure of our showers and cleanliness of our bathrooms. Thanks again

It used to be a jail, which obviously adds to the atmosphere. All the facilities were great, and I loved the shower water pressure. The location is fine, but it's quite a walk to the city, although it was fine for our short stay. My only complaint is that the wifi seems pricey. Overall, it was cool to stay in a jail, and if I ever find myself in Christchurch again, I would probably come back to the jail.

A great hostel: nice and clean and had good facilities. Only drawbacks are limited car larks (about 10) and only 1 hour free wifi.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. You'll be pleased to hear that we have recently installed a new wifi provider and we are in a position to offer a a lot more free data with a complimentary 500mb voucher at check in and competitive pricing for buying further vouchers ($5 for 5GB/ $10 for 15GB) The car park can often be busy when we are full but there are extra spaces just opposite by the railings. Kind regards The Jailhouse team

Very fun! Rooms are nice and general atmosphere is fantastic. Don't be scared off by "Jailhouse" title

Lack of free wifi was the only downfall.

• 28th Nov 2014

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel and we're glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. You'll be pleased to hear that we have recently installed a new wifi provider and we are in a position to offer a a lot more free data with a complimentary 500mb voucher at check in and competitive pricing for buying further vouchers ($5 for 5GB/ $10 for 15GB) We hope to see you in Jail again soon! Kind regards, The Jailhouse team

I'd thought the name was just a gimmick! The reality was a delightful surprise. If I had a single suggestion for what to do better I'd say only this: Paint the room numbers on the door in foot tall digits. Currently the numbers are tiny and difficult to identify - on two occasions someone mistakenly tried to enter my room thinking it their own, and while I was marvelling at this I did exactly the same thing to someone else's room! The doors are, by legacy, a bit faceless and uniform.

• 25th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Great hostel, unique and comfortable!

It was great fun staying in an old prison.

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

basic but good. Not right in the center of things but clean. Had a bit of trouble as some of the staff didn't speak much English.

• 15th Nov 2014

The kitchen was so well stocked, beds were comfy and warm with extra pillows and towels. recommended.

Lovely friendly staff.

• 11th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

My only complaint was that the night receptionist wasn't particularly warm or polite when speaking to her, in fact she was downright awkward and bordering on rude.

• 8th Nov 2014

Jailhouse is pretty good value for money, but we probably won't stay there again. We found it very difficult to sleep due to loud conversations in the common area outside the kitchen until the early hours of the morning. There were signs up asking for quiet after 9pm, but these were ignored and the staff seemed nowhere about. Disappointing.

Really clean and well looked after place and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. It's also great to have two TV areas with loads of DVDs to choose from, for those wet and windy days at the end of a trip!

It is a good place to stay. It is clean and organized. People are very friendly, and it is a good place to meet people.

• 6th Nov 2014

We had a wonderful time at the Jailhouse and loved having our photos taken with the prison uniform and number! Thanks for a great stay. Jude

• 5th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Had a really good stay here. The centre of town is easily accessed by bus, the staff are all really helpful and friendly. It is a bit chilly but they provide extra blankets (which I didn't need) and hot water bottles. Kitchen was well equipped and clean :-) I would stay again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5