Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Lovely friendly staff.

• 11th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

My only complaint was that the night receptionist wasn't particularly warm or polite when speaking to her, in fact she was downright awkward and bordering on rude.

• 8th Nov 2014

Jailhouse is pretty good value for money, but we probably won't stay there again. We found it very difficult to sleep due to loud conversations in the common area outside the kitchen until the early hours of the morning. There were signs up asking for quiet after 9pm, but these were ignored and the staff seemed nowhere about. Disappointing.

Really clean and well looked after place and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. It's also great to have two TV areas with loads of DVDs to choose from, for those wet and windy days at the end of a trip!

We had a wonderful time at the Jailhouse and loved having our photos taken with the prison uniform and number! Thanks for a great stay. Jude

• 5th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Had a really good stay here. The centre of town is easily accessed by bus, the staff are all really helpful and friendly. It is a bit chilly but they provide extra blankets (which I didn't need) and hot water bottles. Kitchen was well equipped and clean :-) I would stay again.

• 4th Nov 2014

Noisy at night, but part of the atmosphere I guess. Otherwise fine :)

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Very nice place. Excellent staff, excellent atmosphere. Will definitely return to stay next time.

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • India

We really liked the Jailhouse and cell 23 was terrific. I would highly recommend this hostel. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful suggesting places to go for dinner, the bathrooms were very clean and our full size bed was wall to wall comfort. It is a fun place to stay.

• 2nd Nov 2014

We are travelling now for over 6 monthes through South Africa, South America, United States and a lot more. That was the best kitchen we've ever had. A lot of equipment and well organised! You have your own Box for your food. Well done! The dishes are in the theme of the jail, very lovely! Nice areas were you can relax! The staff are VERY friendly and helpful with information. There are a TV-Room and a little Cinema with Beamer. And there have really a good DVD- Collection! Thanks a lot! :-)

• 1st Nov 2014

Hi guys, Great atmosphere and unparalled experience. Wifi expensive and not great signal within the rooms

It's cold in the rooms.

• 26th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Intriguing place. It was moving to see the cell with the 'inmate's' artwork. I would have liked a bit more history/stories/reminisces to understand the atmosphere of the jail when it was in operation. Simple things like the daily routines. We stayed Fri and Sat nights so we were close to railway station for the TransAlpine to Greymouth return on the Saturday. .I liked the kitchen and dining in the central part of the jail. That had atmosphere! Thanks for having us. Regards, Gillian

• 24th Oct 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

I left my phone there and they have confirmed they have it but its proving quite difficult to get it sent back! I obviously said I will pay but :S Other then that amazing place, atmosphere was a bit meh and no one in my room could speak English and didn't arrive until about 2am!

Rooms are very spacious even for a 10-bed dorm. The hostel is not easy to locate though, as from the main road there is only a small sign. Staff seemed a little tired, I thought with such a unique hostel they would be more enthusiastic but instead just mentioned where things are located in a monotonous manner. "your room and toilets on the upper floors, kitchen is here, you can take a photo with that board behind you, room20 is an actual jail, okthnxbye." Interesting hostel design though.

Staffs are very kind.Thanks a lots.

• 18th Oct 2014
  • Japan

I got a small room with bunk bed after spending $75 in a Single Private Room .

It is absolutely ridiculous to rent out bikes without lights. Meaning that one has to be back before sunset. That cut my freedom down tremendously and I was very disappointed.

• 15th Oct 2014

Hi and thank you for your review and it's good to see from your overall rating score that you were happy in Jail.The bikes are available for guests from 8am right until 6pm. We make a rule that they are returned before dark for general safety and so we can ensure that they are checked and locked away before we close reception. After that time our staff are very happy to help you with bus timetables and directions around the city. Once again thank you for rating our hostel The Jailhouse Team.

Great location and good attraction. If in Christchurch again, will definitely stay here if possible.

• 13th Oct 2014

Really noisy in the morning with people up at 7am and echoey main room.

• 13th Oct 2014