Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

This is a great hostel. It is really cool to stay in a hostel that still looks like a jail, but with all the facilities you need. It is about a 20 minute walk to the city center though. There is parking if you have a car. People are friendly.

We have stayed at Jailhouse twice - it's very convenient for getting to the train station (free shuttle) and the staff are happy to arrange airport shuttle too (not free) The place is clean and there's a great Mediterranean restaurant just down the road as well as the Coffee Coop which is great for breakfast

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Booked a double room, had a tiny double bed barely enough room for two people, and a small space either side of the bed to get into it! Not so keen on the security method of leaving room keys out on the desk - whose to say you can't just switch rooms with someone else's key? Room was freezing cold and window shutters wide open on a windy rainy night.

the fact that it's in an old jailhouse is very cool and the staff is helpful and friendly

• 15th Apr 2014

The hostel is amazing! Comfy bed and friendly crew, I really enjoyed my 2 nights stay :)

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Malaysia

The hostel is very clean, good facilities, helpful staff, good linen and environment to stay in.

• 6th Apr 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Great idea for hostel...inmates quite friendly Over use of loo come shower on ground floor ....best to use upstairs ones Airport shuttle v good

• 5th Apr 2014

Very friendly staff, nice atmosphere, there's everything you need...actually Jailhouse is one of the interesting attractions in Christchurch when you stay there 200% positive

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Poland

Outstanding staff, best equipped hostel kitchen I've seen, cool design. The only downside is it is a bit out of the way of the centre but I reckon it's worth it to stay in a historic prison with everything a hostel should have.

A great stay as always. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Very small rooms with shared bathroom, kitchen and lounge area. Did not mind the size of the room at all though as it was cosy and the rest of the facilities were good. Staff were just average, not overly friendly or warm but definitely not rude. VERY quiet, which was great for a hostel that was fully booked the night we were there. It was a fun experience and a bit different to sleep in an old jail. They've used the space well.

• 28th Mar 2014

Only stayed here for one night to go to a concert, so didn't spend much time actually there. But it fulfilled its purpose. First experience staying in a hostel, but the people were friendly, comfortable bed, place to charge my phone, walkable to the CBS Canterbury Arena. Would recommend if you need a cheap place to stay.

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

came home to find someone else in my bunk. took another bed. not sure what the process there is meant to be?

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. Our dorm beds are numbered to match with the number on the room key. We also show all guests to their room/beds during reception hours to ensure people get into the right beds. Despite our system of leaving clear instructions on a name board occasionally, late night check in's may mistakenly take the wrong bed or wrong key. We are guessing that this is what may have happened with your bed. Thanks again, the Jailhouse team

I'll be back!

I had a night planned at The Court Theatre, and this was perfectly located as a 5 min walk. Great staff and bed was all I needed.

• 21st Mar 2014

Staff weren't very knowledgable and not eager to help.

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. We're sorry to hear that you encountered a negative experience at Reception. We had a couple of very new staff who had just started and they were on duty at the time you were staying. They were still learning and may have been a little nervous which could have appeared as a little apprehensive. Thank you for your valuable feedback Kind regards The Jailhouse Team

Great hostel and very helpful staff.

It is a little too out of the city center.

• 16th Mar 2014

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. There is a frequent bus service which runs past Jailhouse into the city. It takes 8 minutes and costs only $3.50. We also have bikes for hire at reasonable rates. Post earthquake, our suburb, Addington is fast becoming a happening, exciting place to be with The Court Theatre, Hagley Park, CBS Arena and fantastic cafes and bars and live music venues only a short walk away from the hostel.

We stayed 2 nights. A really nice and axtraordinary hostel. You can drive with the bus in the city or you take a 20 minute walk. Great place to stay in Christchurch.

The rooms are tiny. It was OK having a room as a single but I also shared on one night and two people plus packs left little space. Also, I stayed again after my tour and just as I was being checked in the phone rang and the staff member then ignored me and gave priority to the caller. I was tired after a long period of travel but was left waiting even though she had started to check me in. The caller should have been asked to wait. Very poor. Overall OK place but the sink drains need a clean!

• 12th Mar 2014

Thanks for rating our hostel.We're really sorry you were kept waiting at check in and appreciate you were tired. Occasionally when there is only one staff member available check in may be interrupted by an incoming phone call and it is our policy to answer all calls. We do try and keep the call as brief as possible and if we know that the call is going to be long we will give the caller an option to hold or call back. The kitchen drains do get clogged with food but are cleaned every day.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7