Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Awesome concept! Loved that it used to be a jail. I arrived at 1am, and it was easy to get in and find instructions for my room. The shuttle bus from the airport drops you off right outside so I would definitely recommend using that! Room was clean and comfy, and the walk to town around 15 minutes.

• 30th Mar 2015

nice and very quit hostel it has a nice atmosphere and very good staff. sleeping in a jail cell is something you should do

Great Hostel, Comfy beds, really clean!

• 24th Mar 2015

Fantastic experience! Excellent staff !

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Portugal

I've stayed just one night, but wasn't dissapoint at all. Such a cool idea to stay this night in Jail! And coffe that you can buy in reception was gold! Good value for money as well

I found the staff very helpful. The setting was unique. Personally, I'd prefer to be a bit closer to the city center.

What a brilliant place. Quite a bizarre feeling staying in a jail cell but comfortable, novel. Excellent staff, very helpful. I arrived on the Tranz Alpine Express train so the location was convenient as it's only a short walk from the railway station but slightly less so for the city centre. A small general store and a few decent restaurants within a few minutes tho. The manager got us a good deal on car hire and recommended our next hostel too which was fantastic. Hard to fault for our needs.

After two full days of traveling I arrived at ChCh at midnight and chose to forgo a late hostel arrival (the ChCh airport has basically a bag-packers floor lounge costing 5.00) Took the Super Shuttle which has gone up to 24.00 to Jailhouse Hostel. Great environment lounge, TV room etc. The 10 person dorm was clean and nice sturdy bunk beds with good linens toilet in room and showers right down the hall, Please Note the SIGNS to PULL up on toilets after flushing! I think a lot of water is wasted

Great themed backpackers. Clean and well run. The only area for improvement is better mattress as I could feel the springs.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our hostel and it's good to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We're sorry you had an uncomfortable experience with the bed and so glad you brought it to our attention. We have now replaced the mattress and your comments have prompted us to carry out checks on all the others. Thanks again and we hope to see you in Jail again soon! The Jailhouse Team

I appreciate the reuse of the former jail with the "cells" very much, especially the common space in the middle. What I missed really was to have even a washbasin in the room, although - according to the exemplary cell - the water connection should be exist.

• 10th Mar 2015

The hostel was interesting. Really cool to stay in an actual prison! The kitchen was well equipped and clean and staff was friendly. They had bikes that you could use, but had to hire for 4 hours for $10. The main problem for me was the location, if you want to cook food here you have to walk for about 40 minutes to get to a supermarket (that's one way). Obviously not the hostel's fault but still annoying. The room didn't have a lamp or sidelight so it was either really bright or pitch black.

• 7th Mar 2015
  • Scotland

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel and it's good to see that overall you enjoyed your stay. We are only 3 minutes walk from the convenience store which sells most basics. The big supermarkets are around 25 minutes walk or you can take the frequent bus service from just outside the hostel which goes to the mall where there is a large supermarket and the trip time is only around 8 minutes. Thanks again and we hope to see you in Jail again soon

The cleanest hostel I've stayed at by far! :)

• 6th Mar 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the jailhouse. It's an amazing piece of history well preserved. Great coffee, friendly staff, good facilities. I was really impressed with the kitchen facilities. The first night sleep was unexpectedly peaceful. The doors opening and closing in the middle of the night was very authentically eerie which didn't bother me. The Wairua (spirit) of the place was very calm. I'm sure many a prayer were spoken within those walls. Definitely stay again. Kia Ora.

Not surprisingly for an ex-jail, the security was excellent. The super-thick walls and door kept all the sounds out so you are guaranteed a quiet night's sleep.

I definitely expected more of this hostel. There were no activities going on and the location is not central at all. It was clean, but I had definitely more modern looking bathrooms in other cheaper hostels. The room ( 6 bed ) was at least nice and there was enough place for the luggage.

Interesting new experience

Lovely! Have now been twice in jail in NZ. Contrary to real jail I would have liked to stay somewhat longer. Thankfull I remeber that toilets and showers where controlled and if necessary cleaned several times a day. This shouled be copied by YHA hostels in Australia.

• 1st Mar 2015

Clean, friendly, and quiet! Cool atmosphere- really enjoyed exploring the prison!

Novel accommodation, well kept and clean, very friendly informative welcome.

Really nice hostel. Shame I couldn't get a second night there because it was full of white-haired elderly cricket fans wandering around asking where the elevator was (there isn't one).

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7