Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

hostel in an old jail, funny atmosphere. wardens very friendly! would stay there again :)

Without doubt one of the best hostels I have stayed in. Brilliant concept, lovely and clean, fantastic facilities. Staff very helpful and lovely (a girl from Barnsley, England) and went out of her way to help me. Cant really think of any downsides about it. Good area too, some bars and take aways, only 15 min walk to CBD. Would definitely recommend

Very cool to stay in a former prison.

• 23rd Feb 2015

Great hostel with great character. Great amenities, especially Netflix for when you've exhausted all sightseeing in Christchurch! Was so grateful for the lovely lady who checked me in when I was feeling poorly. She supplied me with extra pillows and was so kind. It was a friendly place but think some of the staff could make more effort to engage guests. I loved staying here and would definitely return if I was ever in Christchurch again. Thank you for having me :)

Just brilliant! Loved the atmosphere and the history of the jail. It was a great stay. A little bit out of town though. Nice and quiet at night. Great kitchen and bathroom facilities. Lovely quiet area upstairs with tables and chairs. Also a lovely area downstairs to eat and sit. We had a prk6vate double and they provided nice thick white fluffy towels and we also had a tv with access to free tv channels

Soundproofing is inherently poor due to the design of the 'prison'. Had a poor nights sleep due to the thin walls, doors crashing and people clomping up and down the stairs in the early hours. Take ear plugs! Excellent in every other way.

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Common space near rooms would be vastly better if there were some beanbags

It was a lovely stay . The bed is very comfortable

• 20th Feb 2015
  • Hong Kong

It was a couple dollars more than the other choices but I stayed in it anyway for the novelty of the old jail, and it was pretty cool to see how they had remodeled it all. The location is kind of far from the bus stop but close to the gardens and train station, and the staff was helpful and friendly enough.

• 19th Feb 2015

Fantastic jailhostel not far away from center of christchurch. Clean and cosy.

• 18th Feb 2015
  • Finland

Fantastic experience, super friendly staff and great facilities

• 17th Feb 2015

Very good, extremley clean! Perfect secure location, man on desk was very helpful and really welcomed us

• 17th Feb 2015

Really cool historical jail converted to a hostel. Located in Addington, just south of the southeast corner of Hagley Park and a 20 minute walk from City Center. Clean quiet rooms, lots of great amenties. Kitchen relatively clean and neat. Plenty of hot showers with great water pressure. Shower stalls could use curtains and a shelf though, and almost everything is behind the front desk (pool cues, DVDs). Internet is 500MB free for the duration of your stay, using a code.

one of the best hostels i have ever stayed at. Very well set up and the facilities were excellent. would definitely stay there again

• 12th Feb 2015

The best hostel we stayed in NZ! The atmosphere of old jailhouse is something to experience! Very clean and a huge plus for not having full-floor carpeting in the rooms! Locations is bit out of the city center but the walk is not too bad, around 20 minutes. Only minus is that the free wi-fi did not work during our stay at least.

Dormir dans une ancienne prison un gros délire ! Propre, personnel sympa et qui vous aide si vous avez n'importe quelle questions j'y reviendrais avec grand plaisir !

Quirky place to stay which is still very true to its original jail history. It is aclean and has a good book swap section. Wifi was good and the staff member on the desk was very friendly. It is a really good idea that each bed is allocated a box in the kitchen to store their food. The hostel is a 20-30 minute walk from the botanical gardens/ naked bus stop.

Very nice hotel. Very different. Would recommend it

I feel like I was ripped off. Especially since I had stayed in a way nicer and cheaper facility at the YMCA. The Jailhouse Accomidation didn't let me cancel my booking since I had booked it within 24 hrs of my stay and I had no choice to cancel. They charged me for two beds because the room I stayed in sleeps 2. I hadn't asked for my own room and it's definitely not my fault that they couldn't book another person. They only give you 500MB of Internet. I wouldn't recommend it.

• 11th Feb 2015

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. Your booking was made online and it clearly state before you go ahead and confirm that we require 24hrs notice for a cancellation otherwise we need to charge for the night as we are not guaranteed to be able to resell the room at such short notice. This is in line with most accommodation across NZ. Also when you click on 'room type' it says that if you wish to book this room for one person you must book both beds in the room. Thanks again.

We really enjoyed ou stay. The people working at the main desk were so nice, friendly and helpfull. Again, I just have good words fot all the team at Jailhouse ! Mario P

• 9th Feb 2015