Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

This place is cool and quirky! The rooms and beds are adequate. The bike hire ($15 for 8 hours) is well worth it, as you are 5-10 minute ride from the city centre. The bathrooms were also nice and clean

Was a good experience although is not close to the train station...it's close if you are not walking with luggage and have a vehicle.

• 30th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

I had a great stay and would stay here again

• 28th Dec 2014

Fantastic! A very well run hostel. Particularly appreciate the quiet zone hours starting from 9pm.

Only issue was not having internet vouchers available for 5GB (as apparently all the vouchers had been printed). I'd drop the voucher system and move to what the YHA in town does - give everybody a password and open up the network. It's a lot easier - - and penny pinching for a few GB here and a few GB there just doesn't cut it in New Zealand now a days :-) LOL!

Good, clean hostel with basic facilities. Clean rooms and clean bathrooms. It was cool to see one of the rooms left in its original jail set up.

Hostel was very clean. Staff friendly and helpful :)

Nice hostel but not much going on if you're traveling alone. Not much of the typical meet and greet and make friends for life going on. Also need more knowledgeable staff on so they can recommend stuff, not just fellow travellers who don't know local hang outs.

Such a cool place to stay! The staff were pretty cool too, very chilled and didn't make any part of it stressful at all and always there for any questions. Loved how the original cells were kept, giving the place an atmosphere.

• 15th Dec 2014

Pretty strange hostel due to it's unique background! Overall it was an okay stay, you can't really be that comfortable in an old jail! White walls, high ceilings, everything echoes. Bathrooms very average. Next time I'm in Christchurch I would find something closer to the city center and a little more homey! but for the price, it's fine.

Excellent stay. Only stayed one night and the bed was comfortable, hostel was quiet, and it was clean. Extra bonus being the history of the building making it a unique experience!

Nice Hostel but nowadays everybody just needs an own locker. Furthermore the shower could really be renewed and the toilets are so small that its hard to close the doorr while standing in front of the toilet.

Thank you for rating our hostel and we're glad to hear that overall you liked being in Jail. We do have lockers in the dorm but we're thinking that maybe on the night you stayed, perhaps someone had a lot of luggage and used two lockers. We do have extra $2 lockers in our atrium and our staff are always happy to store valuable items in our office for a short time. We generally get great feedback about the fantastic pressure of our showers and cleanliness of our bathrooms. Thanks again

It used to be a jail, which obviously adds to the atmosphere. All the facilities were great, and I loved the shower water pressure. The location is fine, but it's quite a walk to the city, although it was fine for our short stay. My only complaint is that the wifi seems pricey. Overall, it was cool to stay in a jail, and if I ever find myself in Christchurch again, I would probably come back to the jail.

A great hostel: nice and clean and had good facilities. Only drawbacks are limited car larks (about 10) and only 1 hour free wifi.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. You'll be pleased to hear that we have recently installed a new wifi provider and we are in a position to offer a a lot more free data with a complimentary 500mb voucher at check in and competitive pricing for buying further vouchers ($5 for 5GB/ $10 for 15GB) The car park can often be busy when we are full but there are extra spaces just opposite by the railings. Kind regards The Jailhouse team

Two cinema rooms are great! Only annoyance we had were two guys in our dorm getting up before 6 every day and making loads of noise, waking everyone else up.

Very fun! Rooms are nice and general atmosphere is fantastic. Don't be scared off by "Jailhouse" title

Lack of free wifi was the only downfall.

• 28th Nov 2014

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel and we're glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. You'll be pleased to hear that we have recently installed a new wifi provider and we are in a position to offer a a lot more free data with a complimentary 500mb voucher at check in and competitive pricing for buying further vouchers ($5 for 5GB/ $10 for 15GB) We hope to see you in Jail again soon! Kind regards, The Jailhouse team

I'd thought the name was just a gimmick! The reality was a delightful surprise. If I had a single suggestion for what to do better I'd say only this: Paint the room numbers on the door in foot tall digits. Currently the numbers are tiny and difficult to identify - on two occasions someone mistakenly tried to enter my room thinking it their own, and while I was marvelling at this I did exactly the same thing to someone else's room! The doors are, by legacy, a bit faceless and uniform.

• 25th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Great hostel, unique and comfortable!

It was great fun staying in an old prison.

• 20th Nov 2014