Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Overall a great place to stay that was handy to an event we were going to. The whole jail thing just added to it. Thought the rooms were excellent in that generally cool temperature and with windows that are able to be opened. Compared to other backpackers in other NZ cities felt price is steep but I understand this could be a result of earthquakes affecting accommodation available in CHCH and I spose make hay while the sun shines.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Great place. As expected from a backpacker style accommodation. Has a unique aspect being a former jail - being able to see a couple of jail cells is great. Had everything we needed - just a bit noisy after hours with people coming and going very early. A couple of good pubs within 5-10 mins walk.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Absolutely fantastic! We loved our stay here and will definately be staying every time we come to Christchurch. Couldn't have asked for better location, facilities and staff.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Amazing, unique place to stay - quite a talking point with fellow travellers & others. For that reason alone I would recommend it In fact it surpassed my expectations with extremely helpful staff (which included one off duty member, seeing me at a bus stop, checking my onward transport arrangements were ok), lovely free bath towel (a luxury after using a travel one for sometime!), spacious room with a comfortable well-made bed It is a walk into CHCH or the bus stops very close to the hostel

• 1st Apr 2015

we had a bouble bunk in a small cell half way down the run, 40cm thick walls, 200kg door, quiet as bro. though we didnt need them the hot water bottles and the thick duvets for cold nights were a nice touch. appreciated the fluffy towel after a weeks tramping. plenty of resteraunt options in close walking distance. helpful staff re transport to airport to catch an early flight home to oz. taxi to airport NZ$41! ouch. suss out the bus options if your not time poor.

• 1st Apr 2015

Really loved my stay at the Jailhouse!! It was very clean and organized with friendly staff

Liked individual room boxes in kitchen, but overall kitchen is too small for so many people.

Awesome concept! Loved that it used to be a jail. I arrived at 1am, and it was easy to get in and find instructions for my room. The shuttle bus from the airport drops you off right outside so I would definitely recommend using that! Room was clean and comfy, and the walk to town around 15 minutes.

Cool hostel to stay in, really feels like a jail sometimes (in a good way). Nice staff, kitchen and facilities. Bit of a walk to the city centre but its a nice walk all the same. Would stay again

This wasn't a very social hostel - no common areas where everybody would gather. Most of the people were staying for one night only. Also far from everything, it takes around 30 minutes to walk to the city.

nice and very quit hostel it has a nice atmosphere and very good staff. sleeping in a jail cell is something you should do

Great Hostel, Comfy beds, really clean!

• 24th Mar 2015

Fantastic experience! Excellent staff !

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Portugal

I've stayed just one night, but wasn't dissapoint at all. Such a cool idea to stay this night in Jail! And coffe that you can buy in reception was gold! Good value for money as well

I found the staff very helpful. The setting was unique. Personally, I'd prefer to be a bit closer to the city center.

A lovely hostel just outside of Christchurch city centre. Quirky set up, you are still able to see elements of the old jailhouse. Lots of little added touches that make this a nice place to stay, towels available, hot water bottles available on request, board games and a seating area at the front of the hostel are great for chilling out.

What a brilliant place. Quite a bizarre feeling staying in a jail cell but comfortable, novel. Excellent staff, very helpful. I arrived on the Tranz Alpine Express train so the location was convenient as it's only a short walk from the railway station but slightly less so for the city centre. A small general store and a few decent restaurants within a few minutes tho. The manager got us a good deal on car hire and recommended our next hostel too which was fantastic. Hard to fault for our needs.

After two full days of traveling I arrived at ChCh at midnight and chose to forgo a late hostel arrival (the ChCh airport has basically a bag-packers floor lounge costing 5.00) Took the Super Shuttle which has gone up to 24.00 to Jailhouse Hostel. Great environment lounge, TV room etc. The 10 person dorm was clean and nice sturdy bunk beds with good linens toilet in room and showers right down the hall, Please Note the SIGNS to PULL up on toilets after flushing! I think a lot of water is wasted

Great themed backpackers. Clean and well run. The only area for improvement is better mattress as I could feel the springs.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our hostel and it's good to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We're sorry you had an uncomfortable experience with the bed and so glad you brought it to our attention. We have now replaced the mattress and your comments have prompted us to carry out checks on all the others. Thanks again and we hope to see you in Jail again soon! The Jailhouse Team

I appreciate the reuse of the former jail with the "cells" very much, especially the common space in the middle. What I missed really was to have even a washbasin in the room, although - according to the exemplary cell - the water connection should be exist.

• 10th Mar 2015