Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Amazing sentence spent there. Go to the jail, people! ;)

• 5th Oct 2014

Jail ain't so bad! This place actually was a prison. Very cool and different hostel with an excellent front desk staff. Lots of pros like a free towel (charge for a second one if you want), plenty of outlets/powerpoints in each room with circuit breakers (which every hostel should have but doesn't), two pillows per person, and just an interesting theme that they do a good job with. This was my second time staying. Usually not a huge fan of most hostels but definitely would recommend this one.

A great place to stay, just blocks from the Botanic Gardens. The atmosphere is Marvelous with a real sense of the jail experience (bars on the windows, heavy steel doors, narrow walkways, balcony viewing platform) but, of course, without the locks. Would definitely stay here again. Not for the claustrophobic however.

I was very disappointed to have half of my food stolen from the kitchen while I stayed for one night. I won't be staying again.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Loved it great location and clean with friendly staff will stay again

• 27th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

The hostel was really nice, helpful staff, nice facilities, and areally nice room as well!! Big lockers, spacious room, with plugs and light for every bed!! The only thing is that it has kind of a cold atmosphere, especially on the dining part, and not very warm. I know it's probably related to the jail theme, but it would be really nice if it has a little more cozyness.

• 26th Sep 2014

Me gusto mucho el lugar, por su temática bien aplicada, la gente muy amable siempre y cómodo para quedarse una o dos noches máximo porque hace mucho frío y no tienen calefacción es lo único malo.

• 24th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

Good place where to stay.

Must stay here if you go to Christchurch! So cool to stay in the jail cells and the place was exceptionally clean when I was there. Minus the comfort a prisoner wouldn't have, it actually felt like being in jail! Great location and friendly staff.

The staff at the reception counter was friendly and helpful. However, met a staff on a Saturday in the kitchen, she was showing this black face, wondered if I was disturbing her cleaning duty.

Value for money was good as a novelty value.

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Couple, 41+

every time i went to the front desk there was a longer than reasonable rate just to ask a question, there needed to be more staff or a faster tun around time on booking in and showing people around.

Social hostel. Plays movies. Nice novelty.

• 14th Sep 2014

excellent accommodation, very convenient and handy location. only few minutes walk to sights n sounds of Christchurch.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • Cook Islands

Very helpful staff! Really helped me plan the rest of my time in New Zealand!

Really enjoyed the stay. Great place to visit

• 8th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Jailhouse backpackers a perfect place for a group gathering and would stay again. Jenny hedley

• 8th Sep 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Very clean and loved the history and how it is being protected. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would stay again

• 6th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

This is a great place to stay, close to the CBD which was the reason for my visit. I certainly felt secure!!!! As I had dinner out, some menus from local eateries at reception would have given me an idea as to the type of food on offer at the different places. Especially important if you have specific dietary requirements.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Hi, and thank you for rating our hostel so highly. It's fantastic to hear that over all you had a great stay with us. We do display a large selection of menus from the cafes, bars and restaurants in the area on our main notice board in reception. We're sorry if you didn't see it. Our friendly Jail Reception Wardens are also always very happy to give recommendations /information on places to eat. Thanks again for your feedback. Hope to see you in Jail again soon!

Great place to stay. Clean and nice. The only thing missing was free wifi!

Hi and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. Across New Zealand, internet is not generally free at the moment. We're always reviewing it and we're working towards it being viable to offer free internet in the future. We hope that the free hour voucher that we gave you at check in came in useful for checking your emails etc. Thanks again for your valuable feedback, The Jailhouse Team

View all Christchurch Hostels