Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Something special to exerience! We'll come back.

• 13th Dec 2013
  • Switzerland

It was very particular, being a former prison. They kept the jail style for everything. Tall roof and plenty of space to move around. Nice and quiet common areas. Friendly staff. Not free Wi-Fi.

great place to stay and helpful staff. Historic too so well worth a visit.

• 8th Dec 2013

1h Frre-WiFi per day an device would be great!

• 7th Dec 2013

Check in was slow. I was then struggling up the stairs and I had to make 2 trips for my luggage. Not once did the staff offer to help instead she watched and said something along the lines of "Why do you have so much luggage. You must be going on a big trip." Please note: i had a stroke in 1996 with one side being weaker then the other and she just watched me struggle up the stairs. Not cool! I was only there for 13hrs thankfully- staying in an old 'Jailhouse" thrill quickly wore off!

Was fine as hostels go but it did have the quirky factor of being an old jail which added some character. Couldn't find the light switches though!

I loved this place; of all the hostels I stayed in during my time in New Zealand this was the best; safe, secure and lacking noisy screaming music or people, excellent value.

• 5th Dec 2013

To much noise!

• 4th Dec 2013
  • Belgium

We really enjoyed our stay and think it's really unique that you can stay in a jail. The hostel is really clean but we felt that there could have been more of an atmosphere and more opportunities to meet fellow travellers. We didn't mind the walk into Christchurch (given that it's further out of the centre) and would chose to stay here again :)

• 2nd Dec 2013

It took 45mins for my friends and I to check in. I booked a single room for 2 nights (3 months prior to my stay), but on the first night they left a note on my door saying I had to be out of that room early the next morning. They wanted me to leave my belongings unattended under the stairs until another room was ready. Apparently this happened because I made my booking via the hostel world website, and not their own. The place was noisy and there were not enough showers and toilets. Never again.

• 2nd Dec 2013

Great building, with lots of character, stayed in dorm room which was great, lots of space, lockers, table and chairs and amazing beds duvets.

• 1st Dec 2013

Very interesting place to stay. Very clean and great kitchen. Comfortable beds. The atmosphere wasn't great as people tended not to strike up conversations with new people.

• 30th Nov 2013

nice and clean, staff was very helpful, cool theme

• 27th Nov 2013

The whole stay was great. The manager is rude but one staff member compensates it, her name is Esme she is so helpful! The beds are comfortable and the place is clean except for the ladys showers that when usded at the same time create a pond and its really nasty. All good as it has a cinema and tv room facilities. I did not like that the reception is unatended after 9 pm as some emergency can occur :/ , some peolple let peolple in and they are not register or dont have a room and thats insecure

• 25th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

Great hostel, good fun and in a great location!

Great place to stay, helpful staff. Free WiFi would be good (as at other hostels in NZ)

• 21st Nov 2013

Great atmosphere. $92 for myself and girlfriend for a double bed room shared bathroom. the next day we managed to get a motel with our own bathroom kitchen and king size bed for $30 more. worth it? yes

Super hostel a very comfortable and great place to stay! :-D

• 18th Nov 2013

The hostel was great but I didn't like the area!loads of weird people around there!

Great atmosphere in the old jail. Beds are really comfortable and rooms all clean. Would definitely stay here again.

View all Christchurch Hostels