Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

I had a night planned at The Court Theatre, and this was perfectly located as a 5 min walk. Great staff and bed was all I needed.

• 21st Mar 2014

Staff weren't very knowledgable and not eager to help.

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. We're sorry to hear that you encountered a negative experience at Reception. We had a couple of very new staff who had just started and they were on duty at the time you were staying. They were still learning and may have been a little nervous which could have appeared as a little apprehensive. Thank you for your valuable feedback Kind regards The Jailhouse Team

Great hostel and very helpful staff.

It is a little too out of the city center.

• 16th Mar 2014

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. There is a frequent bus service which runs past Jailhouse into the city. It takes 8 minutes and costs only $3.50. We also have bikes for hire at reasonable rates. Post earthquake, our suburb, Addington is fast becoming a happening, exciting place to be with The Court Theatre, Hagley Park, CBS Arena and fantastic cafes and bars and live music venues only a short walk away from the hostel.

We stayed 2 nights. A really nice and axtraordinary hostel. You can drive with the bus in the city or you take a 20 minute walk. Great place to stay in Christchurch.

The rooms are tiny. It was OK having a room as a single but I also shared on one night and two people plus packs left little space. Also, I stayed again after my tour and just as I was being checked in the phone rang and the staff member then ignored me and gave priority to the caller. I was tired after a long period of travel but was left waiting even though she had started to check me in. The caller should have been asked to wait. Very poor. Overall OK place but the sink drains need a clean!

• 12th Mar 2014

Thanks for rating our hostel.We're really sorry you were kept waiting at check in and appreciate you were tired. Occasionally when there is only one staff member available check in may be interrupted by an incoming phone call and it is our policy to answer all calls. We do try and keep the call as brief as possible and if we know that the call is going to be long we will give the caller an option to hold or call back. The kitchen drains do get clogged with food but are cleaned every day.

It's a place not to be missed - the prison feel remains, and reminded me of years spent working in a secure childrens' home!! Very central, very easy to access from the airport, good parking, lots of bus routes in and out of town. Well done Jailhouse :)

Very big and cool hostel, in an ancient jail, with lots of facilities like TV room, kitchen, living rooms, etc. TV and leisure rooms are separated, rooms are quite quiet. Bed is regularly comfortable. Staff was quite nice, got me a free shuttle for the train station. BTW, location of the hostel is good for taking the train, but regular for visiting downtown. Internet is paid, but you can go to burguer king nearby to get free wifi. As usual in NZ, breakfast not included.

Fun location, well maintained and run hostel.

We are a mature couple and we booked a 'cell' with a double bed in it. We loved the place and the friendly staff with the added bonus that when you view the movie of the night you get provided with popcorn! Both movie and popcorn come free. The only negative is that if you are on the ground floor there are men's toilets but nothing for women, you have to go upstairs. Other than that we'd highly recommend the Jailhouse

• 7th Mar 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Hi there, thank you for giving us such a positive review and we're so happy to hear that you had such a great stay in Jail. Our movie nights are proving to be very popular and we're glad that you came along. We do have a unisex toilet/ shower on the ground floor just opposite the kitchen. We're sorry if you didn't find it. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in Jail again soon!

Great place, the staff were really friendly and helpful, they booked a free transfer for.me to the trainstation.

• 7th Mar 2014

Really cool old jail. Nice showers.

• 5th Mar 2014

“Very unique! Staff was excellent with lots of help!!”

Nice concept. Not much around. Comfy beds

Only stayed 1night but would recommend to anyone vitsiting christchurch

• 28th Feb 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Best hostel I've been to easily. Not the cheapest but great facilities and unique environment makes it worth every dollar.

• 27th Feb 2014
  • Finland

One of the best accommodation where we have stayed! Staff was so awesome!

Very nice... It's strange to sleep in an old prison but the rooms are big, clean and very nice! I would stay there again :)

The team at the Jailhouse are great, we stay there at least twice a year as the location is ideal to our business and the facilities make it easy. The staff make things work for you and nothing is too much of a problem.

I had a really enjoyable stay here, friendly staff and the old jail has been beautifully converted. Nice and warm too. Highly recommend!

View all Christchurch Hostels