Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

The whole stay was great. The manager is rude but one staff member compensates it, her name is Esme she is so helpful! The beds are comfortable and the place is clean except for the ladys showers that when usded at the same time create a pond and its really nasty. All good as it has a cinema and tv room facilities. I did not like that the reception is unatended after 9 pm as some emergency can occur :/ , some peolple let peolple in and they are not register or dont have a room and thats insecure

• 25th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

Great hostel, good fun and in a great location!

Great place to stay, helpful staff. Free WiFi would be good (as at other hostels in NZ)

• 21st Nov 2013

Great atmosphere. $92 for myself and girlfriend for a double bed room shared bathroom. the next day we managed to get a motel with our own bathroom kitchen and king size bed for $30 more. worth it? yes

Super hostel a very comfortable and great place to stay! :-D

• 18th Nov 2013

The hostel was great but I didn't like the area!loads of weird people around there!

Great atmosphere in the old jail. Beds are really comfortable and rooms all clean. Would definitely stay here again.

I loved the jail house look of the hostel and the overall feel and comfort. I did, however find it cold and dark but as it is an old jail I wasn't suprised. The location not great as not much to do within walking distance. Great hostel, would definately recommend to friends.

Nothing special but really clean and helpful staff

Wonderfully decorated, spacious dorms, a bit far from shops, centre etc. Neighbourhood a bit creepy, especially after dark, but it might be due to quake.

Really cool place, very clean, not too far away from everything but we were driving. A little pricey for a private room, but worth the experience of staying in an old jail.

A great (and clean) hostel with very helpful staff! Brilliant facilities, definitely enjoyed the TV room and dvd collection for a quiet night in. Good location with a few nice bars and restaurants within close by. Hostel is within walking distance of the New World shopping centre (about 20 minutes each way) and the central bus station. It's a really unique place to stay and nice spacious rooms too!

• 13th Nov 2013

A great stay when you are looking for something 'out of the ordinary'. There may be ghosts, but still had a great night.

• 12th Nov 2013

Great stay - very high quality for a backpackers

• 8th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

The hostel was clean and went with the theme the entire way. The female bathrooms were a little small.

• 7th Nov 2013

best hostel ive stayed in!!!

Very welcoming receptionist - went out of her way to help me with directions and showing me around the jail. Loved reading the history about the place and looking into the preserved cells. Toilets/ showers clean and great water pressure. Excellent kitchen. Cell was comfortable and clean. Hot water bottle was a nice touch.

• 2nd Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

This was a brilliant hostel. I was a little worried that it would be purely about the novelty of staying in a converted prison, and the actual facilities would be lacking. But after 4 weeks hosteling around New Zealand, this was probably the best one! It was fun and oddly homely. The hot water bottles were a nice (and personal favourite) touch. The kitchen was well equipped and organised, and the cinema room great. It is a little away from the city, but hey, Tramping is what New Zealand does!

Awesome hostel! Comfortable beds, well equipped kitchen, spacious, friendly staff.. overall it's a great place! It's not in an ideal location, but it's a short walk to town. The only thing I would suggest is that you find a way to fix the door of room 31 because I woke up a few times in the middle of the night with the door wide open because it doesn't close properly. I would recommend this hostel to anyone!

Thank you for giving our hostel such a great rating! We're glad that overall you enjoyed your time in Jail. We're sorry to hear that you had problems with the dorm door and your feedback has prompted us to give all our doors and locks a check and service. Kind regards The Jailhouse team

The lock on my dorm room was too sticky to work, so nobody ever used it. That was a little annoying, but workable. Best kitchen I stayed at throughout all my travels - large, good amounts of storage, well stocked. A real winner! Great atmosphere and history of the building - felt like a jail in the places it should, and felt like home in the places it should. Good location to train station and other transit

• 30th Oct 2013