Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

- not the most friendly staff: when i checken in, they'd just leave me and didn't help me - but it's a very original hostel. You can actually get to see a prison room, as how it was a couple of years ago. - rooms are okay. Enough space.

This is everything a hostel should be. A great stay.

Nice location with options for pubs and eating places nearby. Staying in an old jail is quite a bragging right and allows for many puns relating to landing yourself in the slammer for a night and how/why you ended up there. As for the facilities what I saw were clean and more than adequate. Only stayed one evening but was warm and comfortable.

• 26th Apr 2014
  • New Zealand

Had an interesting stay at the Jailhouse. Was good to stay somewhere unique. Was a bit noisy...it is an old jail. Simple rooms with good facilities. Toilets weren't that clean but showers were. Bit of a walk from "the city". Glad I was tired and not thinking about ghosts. Cool to see find markings on wall from prisoners.

A double bed in a cell leaves little room for anything else except lying down. Some shelving on the wall(s) would help in stowing stuff. TV only for DVDs is restrictive. Other facilities, kitchen, laundry are OK. The adjacent No 7 bus route is handy. More suitable for much younger people than us two pensioners...

• 23rd Apr 2014

A great stay at a lovely hostel. As a single female I felt very safe

• 23rd Apr 2014

Loved the television in your room. Bathrooms were very clean as was the kitchen. Unique experience to stay in a jail. Would recommend this place. Only 15-20 mins from the airport.

• Couple, 41+

Awesome! Very clean, great atmosphere, big and well appointed kitchen, they showed a movie with free popcorn, and there was free tea. Great place to stay on a budget

• 23rd Apr 2014

Very good hostel, nice actions with movies and great building. 2 points to get the best hostel in NZ: - ..there should befree WIFI - ..after having checked out there should be a better/safer place for laguagge storage then under the steps..

• 22nd Apr 2014

Hi and thank you for rating our hostel. We are quite limited with storage space but guests are very welcome to leave big backpacks under our main staircase and then we have $2 lockers available on the ground floor if people prefer to lock away valuables. We agree that free WIFI would be great but as internet in NZ is very expensive most large hostels are unable to provide it at present but we are always working towards getting it

I liked very much that they allow guests to use the facilities after checking out (as long as the room is empty). When you're travelling and your next destination requires that you leave a bit later in the day, this kind of flexibility and friendly atmosphere was greatly appreciated. The staff were so welcoming and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• 21st Apr 2014
  • New Zealand

The female toilet on 1/F was a bit stinky and the space for each toilet was tiny. The kitchen was pretty big but some of the stoves got problems with ignition. The wifi was pricey. In general it was a well organized business style running hostel.

Jailhouse Accommodation is within the innermost suburbs of Christchurch. The location isn't ideal ~20(+)mins walk into town, supermarkets and related amenities. Short drive to highways which will link you to other beautiful places on South Island. Very close to botanic gardens with scenic access to walk into city, picnics & strolls. Facilities were excellent, best hostel kitchen i've seen & clean. Staff helpful but seemed more interested in their own working-holidays than providing service.

• 20th Apr 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Jailhouse. The staff was super friendly and the accommodations were great. It was a clean hostel with great facilities, even a large selection of movies! I wish I could have stayed there for more than one night but I couldn't have picked a better hostel for my time in Christchurch!

• 20th Apr 2014

Bathrooms room for improvement- got a bit wet as there was no shower screens and you got splashing from one cubical to another. We had fairly noisy neighbors, although not sure they realized we could hear them. Loved the labelled food boxes in the kitchen, great idea.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

This is a great hostel. It is really cool to stay in a hostel that still looks like a jail, but with all the facilities you need. It is about a 20 minute walk to the city center though. There is parking if you have a car. People are friendly.

We have stayed at Jailhouse twice - it's very convenient for getting to the train station (free shuttle) and the staff are happy to arrange airport shuttle too (not free) The place is clean and there's a great Mediterranean restaurant just down the road as well as the Coffee Coop which is great for breakfast

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Booked a double room, had a tiny double bed barely enough room for two people, and a small space either side of the bed to get into it! Not so keen on the security method of leaving room keys out on the desk - whose to say you can't just switch rooms with someone else's key? Room was freezing cold and window shutters wide open on a windy rainy night.

Hi and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. We agree that the rooms are compact but they are all original Jail cells. Our late night arrival system appears to work really well and we haven't yet had any deliberate room switches yet in the 8 years that we have been operating.We're sorry your window was open when you arrived. The Cleaners normally close them after their shift, especially on cold days but your room may have been mistakenly overlooked on that day

I wouldn't stay here again. The concept of the jail is great and fun but son wears off when the staff are uninterested and unhelpful. I booked a twin private bed and the booking was mucked up, we were then asked to move rooms after our first night and they wanted to put us in a tiny room with a double bed, I went on to spend almost an hour an half sorting out a new room and the staff member was really rude through out the whole process. We had to pay for wifi which had a poor connection.

Thank you for rating our hostel. We're sorry about the issue with double room that you had booked on the website. I understand that their was some correspondence asking us to change it to a twin. We apologize that it hadn't been changed but we had emailed querying which type of twin and we hadn't yet received a response. We're glad that our staff member was able to resolve it. We're sorry it took a while but she is quite new and still learning our booking system.

Amaaaazing place o stay! So clean and an awesome atmosphere...quiet but not lonely and nice staff. Highly recommended, I would definitely go back there!

the fact that it's in an old jailhouse is very cool and the staff is helpful and friendly

• 15th Apr 2014