Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Good: - Very original place to stay. - Looks very nice - Comfortable beds - Pooltable, TV, games, books,... Bad: - Expensive - The women showers were really dirty (the mens were clean) - Atmosphere is not great, you feel like your just a number (oh the irony)

Our stay was amazing loved it and was very quiet, staff were fabulous thank you

• 31st Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

Clean. Lockers provided in room if you have your own lock, because door usually left open by others. Staff keep noise level down by clearing out the main area at 9:30 to the lobby, which is nice (although there is a drinking curfew, which is a bit much). Good information about what to do. Internet is overpriced at $3 per hour (it's free in Re:Start Mall). It's also very far from the city centre, 30 min to walk and 40 mins walk to New World supermarket. I would not stay there again without a car

Lovely hostel. Good instructions on how to get to and into jail. Knowledgeable staff, willing to help, liking their job. Good beds, slept well. Good atomosphere as well. Not a hostel suitable for (hard)partying backpackers and I like that. I stayed here my first night in NZ and when our last night came up we decided to go back to jail because it is a good hostel.

• 28th Jan 2014

We loved the place and the staff were really helpful in making recommendations for our road trip around the islands. However, the number of people coming and going throughout the night meant I barely slept at all. Some arrived at around 1am, and the first people left at around 3am and it was ongoing. By the time I got up at around 8.30, I was the only person left in the 10 bed! Please considera roster where those leaving at night are in the same room.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the jailhouse hostel also being able to tell friends how we spent the night in "Jail"..The bed was very comfortable, staff very friendly. Accommodating our mid night arrival was a bonus and very much appreciated.

• 25th Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

This is a decent place. It's clean and the staff are very helpful. It's a 30-40 minute walk from downtown and it lacks any form of atmosphere.

Great staff, kitchen a bit messy, awesome building

Hi and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. We hope overall that you enjoyed your stay. We're sorry that you encountered a messy kitchen. It does get an intensive clean every day and it is checked several times a day. Our inmates are encouraged to clean up after themselves but don't always adhere to that rule or we're wondering if perhaps you were in there just after a high usage time like breakfast or dinner.

I really enjoyed my stay at the hostel! It's a cool building and the hostel has a well equipped kitchen and a herb garden which you can pick herbs from!! It also has 2 cinema rooms where you can rent out a DVD for free! :)

Really cool building, it was fun seeing a jailhouse turned into a hostel! I only stayed for one night, got in late and left early so I can't comment on the vibe, but it's super clean and comfortable, a really nice spot! Wish I could have stayed longer!

Nikki was great.

• 20th Jan 2014

We were glad we chose this place on our second pass through Christchurch. It can be a difficult place to get around as it is very spread out but we had a nice centre here with some restaurants, pubs etc around. The hostel itself is top-class, staff are welcoming and everything follows a jailhouse theme but the rooms are more comfortable and facilities better than you'd expect! Would recommend.

Great place to stay. You sleep in former prison cells! A truly unique hostel. Only 5 min by bus to city centre, big kitchen, clean and nice facilities.

Cool place to stay, probably the best hostel you'll get in Christchurch at the moment. Love all the jail references, and the fact that it's literally a jail makes it really unique and fun. It's got everything you need/expect and really easy to get in and out of town.

Wasn't too impressed when I was told we had to move rooms at 10 am and when I asked for an hour to get our stuff together was told no. I understand it was their poor booking system which caused the problem so would suggest they change the system. Also, teach the staff that it is more important to keep customers happy than clean the rooms as quickly as possible. The receptionist with the short brown hair was awful, the cleaner was excellent and got our new room ready quickly.

Thank you for rating our hostel. Hostelworld make bookings on our behalf and sometimes when a twin bunk room isn't available on the 2nd night it will automatically give you the option to book a twin single, distinguishable by the slightly higher price. We understand that it can be frustrating. The reason we have a 10am check out is so we can clean the rooms for incoming guests but in these situations we endevour to liaise with cleaning staff to get the new room ready asap.

Your Hostel is a little bit to far away from the center and I think it is a little bit to expensive, cause other Hostels which are nearer to the center are cheaper. But it is a nice place ;-)

• 14th Jan 2014

One of the best dorm rooms I've stayed in. Very spacious and clean.

Very good hostel nice and clean, sleeping in a cell was a good experience. Town center was 15 min bus ride away, best to buy travel card at bus station on your arrival from airport.

It was great, special location. Very comfortable beds! Just not really enough showers and toilets.

• 9th Jan 2014
  • Switzerland

I wanted something more "jail-ey", maybe them locking me up or something?! Hahah! But in all seriousness, this hostel is in a GREAT spot. Go here if you want some cafes and bars in the evening.

View all Christchurch Hostels