Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Really cool facilities being a converted jail. Staff were nice. Just kinda far from the town.

The place is quite nice and everything, beds are comfy, the location interesting, bathrooms clean but for the price you pay you'd expect free proper internet. A little far by foor from the centre.

Had a really nice stay at this quirky accomidation. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. They had a cinema room with a great variety of films to chose from. Only down side to this accommodation is that it is quite a walk from the centre if the city.

Extremely friendly staff!

• 10th Feb 2014

good size kitchen, reasonable toilet/showers and awesome staff

• 10th Feb 2014

Brilliant backpackers

Bus stop in front of the Hostel takes you directly into the city centre, bars and take aways close to the hostel and only 15 minutes drive to the airport. Great for a stay in CHC.

Everything went smoothly for me, the staff seemed to understand the needs and were friendly and practically helpful. It would be good if there was a local general foods near by so you could easily prepare food in their great facilities. The link with the airport shuttle is great.

• 6th Feb 2014

Small kitchen, but excellent proximity to the train station with a free shuttle organized by the hostel. My impression was that most people there were taking the TranzAlpine the next day.

Some of the staff could be nicer. It would not do any harm to put more power points in the rooms.

Loved it!

• 4th Feb 2014

I understand that is used to be a jail and that there is no atmosphere.. But I stayed there for 3 nights which was quite depressing.

• 4th Feb 2014

Good: - Very original place to stay. - Looks very nice - Comfortable beds - Pooltable, TV, games, books,... Bad: - Expensive - The women showers were really dirty (the mens were clean) - Atmosphere is not great, you feel like your just a number (oh the irony)

Our stay was amazing loved it and was very quiet, staff were fabulous thank you

• 31st Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

Clean. Lockers provided in room if you have your own lock, because door usually left open by others. Staff keep noise level down by clearing out the main area at 9:30 to the lobby, which is nice (although there is a drinking curfew, which is a bit much). Good information about what to do. Internet is overpriced at $3 per hour (it's free in Re:Start Mall). It's also very far from the city centre, 30 min to walk and 40 mins walk to New World supermarket. I would not stay there again without a car

Lovely hostel. Good instructions on how to get to and into jail. Knowledgeable staff, willing to help, liking their job. Good beds, slept well. Good atomosphere as well. Not a hostel suitable for (hard)partying backpackers and I like that. I stayed here my first night in NZ and when our last night came up we decided to go back to jail because it is a good hostel.

• 28th Jan 2014

We loved the place and the staff were really helpful in making recommendations for our road trip around the islands. However, the number of people coming and going throughout the night meant I barely slept at all. Some arrived at around 1am, and the first people left at around 3am and it was ongoing. By the time I got up at around 8.30, I was the only person left in the 10 bed! Please considera roster where those leaving at night are in the same room.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the jailhouse hostel also being able to tell friends how we spent the night in "Jail"..The bed was very comfortable, staff very friendly. Accommodating our mid night arrival was a bonus and very much appreciated.

• 25th Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

This is a decent place. It's clean and the staff are very helpful. It's a 30-40 minute walk from downtown and it lacks any form of atmosphere.

Great staff, kitchen a bit messy, awesome building

Hi and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. We hope overall that you enjoyed your stay. We're sorry that you encountered a messy kitchen. It does get an intensive clean every day and it is checked several times a day. Our inmates are encouraged to clean up after themselves but don't always adhere to that rule or we're wondering if perhaps you were in there just after a high usage time like breakfast or dinner.

View all Christchurch Hostels