Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

A little warmer in the rooms please! Otherwise, very nice experience and the kitchen facilities were outstanding! More shower stalls would be great - only one in the shower at a time was time wasted waiting.

• 30th Dec 2013

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel and we're glad that overall you enjoyed your stay in Jail. We wonder if you perhaps only visited the ladies toilets where we have only one shower but next door is the shower room where we have a further three shower units. We also have a unisex shower/toilet room downstairs so five in total. Once again thank you for your valuable feedback. Kind regards, The Jailhouse team

Different experience, staff is friendly

Unique hostel with a quirky vibe from the jail location. Location is out of the City Centre but easy to get to. Staff were really friendly and readily available. Security is excellent (as you would expect from a jail). Super clean rooms, bathrooms and common areas. Facilities were good. Note that there is no drinking after 9pm and no common bar area.

That was a special experience, and I was really sort of feeling like I was living in a real jail.

• 25th Dec 2013
  • Hong Kong

Clean and very compfy beds

• 23rd Dec 2013
  • Belgium

This place is quirky and the staff are really friendly. The location is not the best for sightseeing, but for a night or two it is great. The Jailhouse was really clean and the beds were comfortable.

I loved my stay there except for one thing : a man was sleeping in my bed. I needed to kick him out of my place !

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. Our dorm beds are numbered to match with the number on the room key. We also show all guests to their room/beds during reception hours to ensure people get into the right beds. Despite our system of leaving clear instructions on a name board occasionally, late night check in's may mistakenly take the wrong bed or wrong key. We are guessing that this is what may have happened with your bed. Thanks again, the Jailhouse team

Great hostel but to expensive. My hotel in Auckland is cheaper and much better. Wonderful staff and atmosphere. Good management and rules.

This is a nice, something different type experience! The hostel facilities are all fine and everything is clean. There are number of nice bars on the same street . The staff were brilliant with directions, things to do, letting me use their phone etc. I had lost my mobile and they were still in touch after I left to help me follow it up. It's a little out of Christchurch centre but I was Initially coming from trans alpine train and the hostel is within walking distance from the station.

Exotic location and totally different to other hostels through it's an old jailhouse. Men facilities totally fine but women facilities seem to be smaller.

thoroughly enjoyed our stay, friendly, helpful staff. Am going to tell my friends and family about it. THANK YOU

• 16th Dec 2013

really nice facility. No complaint here.

It's a great place to stay. I enjoyed it!!

It was a short stay as my late night flight was delayed but I enjoyed sleeping in the jail for the first time in my life :) Nice experience. The only negative thing is human hair that I found on both of my pillows...

I was somewhat perplexed to be asked for photo identification, with the implication that I would not be allowed a room without it, even though I had booked and paid a deposit well in advance. The staff were not able to provide me with a credible explanation why I needed photo ID, and it was lucky I had come by car instead if air as I would have been out on the street without my licence. Other accommodation doesn't seem to require this (Mecure Auckland, for example). I saw no warnings of this.

Something special to exerience! We'll come back.

• 13th Dec 2013
  • Switzerland

It was very particular, being a former prison. They kept the jail style for everything. Tall roof and plenty of space to move around. Nice and quiet common areas. Friendly staff. Not free Wi-Fi.

great place to stay and helpful staff. Historic too so well worth a visit.

• 8th Dec 2013

1h Frre-WiFi per day an device would be great!

• 7th Dec 2013

Check in was slow. I was then struggling up the stairs and I had to make 2 trips for my luggage. Not once did the staff offer to help instead she watched and said something along the lines of "Why do you have so much luggage. You must be going on a big trip." Please note: i had a stroke in 1996 with one side being weaker then the other and she just watched me struggle up the stairs. Not cool! I was only there for 13hrs thankfully- staying in an old 'Jailhouse" thrill quickly wore off!

View all Christchurch Hostels