Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Was fine as hostels go but it did have the quirky factor of being an old jail which added some character. Couldn't find the light switches though!

I loved this place; of all the hostels I stayed in during my time in New Zealand this was the best; safe, secure and lacking noisy screaming music or people, excellent value.

• 5th Dec 2013

To much noise!

• 4th Dec 2013
  • Belgium

We really enjoyed our stay and think it's really unique that you can stay in a jail. The hostel is really clean but we felt that there could have been more of an atmosphere and more opportunities to meet fellow travellers. We didn't mind the walk into Christchurch (given that it's further out of the centre) and would chose to stay here again :)

• 2nd Dec 2013

It took 45mins for my friends and I to check in. I booked a single room for 2 nights (3 months prior to my stay), but on the first night they left a note on my door saying I had to be out of that room early the next morning. They wanted me to leave my belongings unattended under the stairs until another room was ready. Apparently this happened because I made my booking via the hostel world website, and not their own. The place was noisy and there were not enough showers and toilets. Never again.

• 2nd Dec 2013

Great building, with lots of character, stayed in dorm room which was great, lots of space, lockers, table and chairs and amazing beds duvets.

• 1st Dec 2013

Very interesting place to stay. Very clean and great kitchen. Comfortable beds. The atmosphere wasn't great as people tended not to strike up conversations with new people.

• 30th Nov 2013

nice and clean, staff was very helpful, cool theme

• 27th Nov 2013

The whole stay was great. The manager is rude but one staff member compensates it, her name is Esme she is so helpful! The beds are comfortable and the place is clean except for the ladys showers that when usded at the same time create a pond and its really nasty. All good as it has a cinema and tv room facilities. I did not like that the reception is unatended after 9 pm as some emergency can occur :/ , some peolple let peolple in and they are not register or dont have a room and thats insecure

• 25th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

Great hostel, good fun and in a great location!

Great place to stay, helpful staff. Free WiFi would be good (as at other hostels in NZ)

• 21st Nov 2013

Great atmosphere. $92 for myself and girlfriend for a double bed room shared bathroom. the next day we managed to get a motel with our own bathroom kitchen and king size bed for $30 more. worth it? yes

Super hostel a very comfortable and great place to stay! :-D

• 18th Nov 2013

The hostel was great but I didn't like the area!loads of weird people around there!

Great atmosphere in the old jail. Beds are really comfortable and rooms all clean. Would definitely stay here again.

I loved the jail house look of the hostel and the overall feel and comfort. I did, however find it cold and dark but as it is an old jail I wasn't suprised. The location not great as not much to do within walking distance. Great hostel, would definately recommend to friends.

Nothing special but really clean and helpful staff

Wonderfully decorated, spacious dorms, a bit far from shops, centre etc. Neighbourhood a bit creepy, especially after dark, but it might be due to quake.

Really cool place, very clean, not too far away from everything but we were driving. A little pricey for a private room, but worth the experience of staying in an old jail.

A great (and clean) hostel with very helpful staff! Brilliant facilities, definitely enjoyed the TV room and dvd collection for a quiet night in. Good location with a few nice bars and restaurants within close by. Hostel is within walking distance of the New World shopping centre (about 20 minutes each way) and the central bus station. It's a really unique place to stay and nice spacious rooms too!

• 13th Nov 2013