Jailhouse Accommodation Reviews

338 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand

Very good hostel nice and clean, sleeping in a cell was a good experience. Town center was 15 min bus ride away, best to buy travel card at bus station on your arrival from airport.

It was great, special location. Very comfortable beds! Just not really enough showers and toilets.

• 9th Jan 2014
  • Switzerland

I wanted something more "jail-ey", maybe them locking me up or something?! Hahah! But in all seriousness, this hostel is in a GREAT spot. Go here if you want some cafes and bars in the evening.

Great Hostel! Loved the experience!

• 5th Jan 2014

As mature travellers, we really appreciated the quiet areas actually being quiet and being a jail soundproofing from traffic was well above average. As Australians we are water conscious & felt cisterns could be updated to save water - but maybe that's not a NZ issue!We'd highly recommend the Jailhouse to anyone.

• 4th Jan 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Jailhouse Accommodation was very clean, very groovy in a convient, well appointed yet quiet location.

Jailhouse was great but Christchuch is dead since the earthquake, there is nothing left

Hi, thank you for rating our hostel. It's great that you enjoyed your stay in Jail. It's a great time to be in Christchurch with new bars,restaurants and cafe's opening up every week. Some of the coolest nightspots are within 5 minutes walk of Jail. There are so many attractions and events in the city which we advertise on our notice board and on our brochure racks and our knowledgeable staff are on hand from 8am-9pm to make recommendations on what to do

A little warmer in the rooms please! Otherwise, very nice experience and the kitchen facilities were outstanding! More shower stalls would be great - only one in the shower at a time was time wasted waiting.

• 30th Dec 2013

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel and we're glad that overall you enjoyed your stay in Jail. We wonder if you perhaps only visited the ladies toilets where we have only one shower but next door is the shower room where we have a further three shower units. We also have a unisex shower/toilet room downstairs so five in total. Once again thank you for your valuable feedback. Kind regards, The Jailhouse team

Different experience, staff is friendly

Unique hostel with a quirky vibe from the jail location. Location is out of the City Centre but easy to get to. Staff were really friendly and readily available. Security is excellent (as you would expect from a jail). Super clean rooms, bathrooms and common areas. Facilities were good. Note that there is no drinking after 9pm and no common bar area.

That was a special experience, and I was really sort of feeling like I was living in a real jail.

• 25th Dec 2013
  • Hong Kong

Clean and very compfy beds

• 23rd Dec 2013
  • Belgium

This place is quirky and the staff are really friendly. The location is not the best for sightseeing, but for a night or two it is great. The Jailhouse was really clean and the beds were comfortable.

I loved my stay there except for one thing : a man was sleeping in my bed. I needed to kick him out of my place !

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to rate our hostel. Our dorm beds are numbered to match with the number on the room key. We also show all guests to their room/beds during reception hours to ensure people get into the right beds. Despite our system of leaving clear instructions on a name board occasionally, late night check in's may mistakenly take the wrong bed or wrong key. We are guessing that this is what may have happened with your bed. Thanks again, the Jailhouse team

Great hostel but to expensive. My hotel in Auckland is cheaper and much better. Wonderful staff and atmosphere. Good management and rules.

This is a nice, something different type experience! The hostel facilities are all fine and everything is clean. There are number of nice bars on the same street . The staff were brilliant with directions, things to do, letting me use their phone etc. I had lost my mobile and they were still in touch after I left to help me follow it up. It's a little out of Christchurch centre but I was Initially coming from trans alpine train and the hostel is within walking distance from the station.

Exotic location and totally different to other hostels through it's an old jailhouse. Men facilities totally fine but women facilities seem to be smaller.

thoroughly enjoyed our stay, friendly, helpful staff. Am going to tell my friends and family about it. THANK YOU

• 16th Dec 2013

really nice facility. No complaint here.

It's a great place to stay. I enjoyed it!!

View all Christchurch Hostels