Jalan-Jalan Besi Reviews

14, Jalan Tukang Besi, Melaka, Malaysia

A truly great stay. The hostel itself is quite basic, but very comfortable, and consists of two buildings/homes roughly 50m away from each other. Victor was very welcoming and is a truly genuine person. The self-styled 'PR Manager' of Jalan-Jalan, Lee, made the hostel a great place to stay, though. Every evening Lee would take any member of the hostel who was keen to a local restaurant (on one night a Sikh temple) for some awesome cheap eats, which was a good way to meet other travellers.

It would be nice to have more than one room with air con and toilet area closed so we won't share it with lizzards.

Thanks for everything Jalan Jalan.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • Singapore

2nd time staying. Still all good. :)

Not much to say. The host at the front desk Andre was awesome :) They put me up in a separate building so had to walk back n forth to get to meet people. I would say it was a decent stay

I loved staying here and ended up extending my stay to three weeks. The female dorm is clean and has free lockers and an en suite bathroom. The staff was great. Ari was really helpful and gave me some great travel advice. The location can't be beat. It's one block from Jonker's street and very close to the river. Very relaxing and quiet. I'd definitely stay again. It's my home away from home in Melaka!

If you want a cheap room, this will do the trick. I must be honest, Victor is a really nice & helpful guy but no one else seems to care. Also the WIFI isnt great & if you stay in the 2nd building, chance is you may have a REALLY noisy neighbour playing music at 1am, but in fairness thats not the hotels fault. Also for some weird reason there's little hostile notes like "AFTER HAVING COFFEE, WASH YOUR CUP & PUT IT BACK, IT ISNT STARBUCKS!!" I never understood the reason for pointless aggression?

Thanks for your stay and feedback. Take a chill pill, the notes you mentioned were only meant as a jokey reminder and nothing more. Also, when I asked you how things were when we met, your response was always OK, so we don't really understand your review. Anyway, we'll take your comments into consideration and look for things we can improve upon.

There comes a time when travelling gets too much and for me Jalan Jalan was the best place for me to relax and chill. Quiet and centrally located to most of the sights in Melaka.

• 18th Aug 2014

Excellent hostel and atmosphere. Host was kind, helpful and informative. Would stay again and also recommend.

Jalan Jalan is probably my favourite hostel experience in Asia. It's an awesome place - relaxing, friendly and chilled out. I have great memories from my time there and recommend the place. It's basic and comfortable and there is a great, friendly common area and the staff are helpful nice.

The worst thing about this place was the bed bugs. Otherwise, quiet and good location. Insist on a room with a window! I stayed in the annex to the main Jalan Jalan, and I would say it is too quiet, likely because there are no staff. Free coffee but no water. One shower for entire building, but I never had problems.

Thanks for your feedback Please inform us if you have problem with the room. We would've changed your room as you also extended your stay without any comments, we thought it was all good. Anyhow room has now been checked n cleared We don't understand your comment about it being quiet, the guest house was nearly full during your stay and there're 2 showers not 1 to be shared by 5 rooms which is enough. Hot drinking water is provided so that's another comment that's not understood

It's so good that i'm still here ! :D

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Peru

A very simple and nice hostel, good atmosphere , nice people, friendly staff and free coffee and tea :-) Perfect!

A nice, chill, place. I didn't spend much time inside because I love the city so much.

Stayed here for a few nights and would have stayed longer if we could. Staff was very helpful and hostel is located very near all the main city sites.

The hostel was two thumbs up for me :)

• 7th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

Very nice and kind staff!