Jamrock hostel Reviews

Calle 5A (avenida piñango) # 10-86, Castillo Grande, Cartagena, Colombia

This hostel no longer exists so when we arrived in cartagena we had no place to stay.

• 26th May 2014

Dont go there, it is not even a hostel, it is more a shared-flat in the owners house.

Location is superb, right next to the beach! Supermarket and restaurants very close. Area is the most secure that love experienced in Colombia. Juan is that guy. Helps you out with anything and everything. Booked for a night, stayed for a week.

This hostel was pretty strange. The son of the owner who appears to be in charge is quite very unhelpful, and takes quite a long time to do anything you ask him. The location isn't great, while it is close to the beach it takes a long time to get to the center of town and to the walled city, which is where you want to be in Cartagena. Some others who stayed here told me the manager bribed them with a free night to give a good hostelworld review...

Booked for one night but ended up staying for a week cos we liked it so much! Very friendly staff and owners. Informative and can book tours from here to Playa Blanco etc. Very relaxed atmosphere. Good location - one block from the beach, short walk to supermarkets and restaurants. Good air conditioned rooms. Kitchen facilities are good. Lockers for valuables too. Really enjoying our stay here and would definitely come back if we pass through Cartagena again! Great value for money!

We´ve reserved and paid for the private room which was absulotely not worth the money. Aircon didnt work properly, there was a large gap between the door and the floor which meant different things could walk or fly inside(the private room was situated in the ´garden´),the room had absolutley nothing inside besides the beds. The lady at the reception tried to help and offered us another room which was a little better.

Jamrock is a very casual, laid back place. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The facilities are basic but nice and very adequate. It is a short walk to the shops and restaurants of Bocagrande, a short taxi ride to El Centro/Getsemani, and only a block from a quiet beach. The area is very clean and safe.

• 25th Feb 2014

The girl who works there doesn't smile, doesn't greet you when you walk in, and doesn't even make eye contact. Also very difficult to understand her, despite my fluent Spanish, and she seemed to quickly get annoyed when I didn't understand. Manager very helpful, parter and kids very nice. Doesn't look very presentable but overall a good hostel.

Impeccable service, great advice and support for those looking to get the very best from their trip. Relaxed and friendly atmosphere, minutes from the beach and bars ..... Couldn't ask for more. A must for anyone travelling to Cartagena.

There is no sign on the entrance of the hostel. There are to many beds in the dorm. The kitchen equipment could be much better. I had to ask and insist more than once to get a receipt, payment was to made immediately on arriving. Restaurants are pretty far away. The only hammock needs to be cleaned long ago. It seems that they are only interested on the money and not really on a good familiar service to tourist for long term.

• 2nd Feb 2014
  • Switzerland

This hostel is a great place to stay and we felt comfortable from the beginning. The owner is kind and interessted and talks to everyone which creates a nice atmosphere and makes it easy for everyone else to connect, too. It is clean and has everything a backpacker needs. The location is nice, right next to the beach and by bus not too far from the centre. There is a minimarket right next to it and a bigger supermarket 10 min walking distance. I would definitely stay in this hostel again!

Nice hostel in a super safe envirement, but a little bit away from the historical part, which is much nicer. Owner is very friendly and helpful. Beds are okay, airco is a nice to have (also in the dorm). Bathrooms are a little bit poor.

• 25th Jan 2014

A decent hostel for a great price if you were to stay at this part of Cartagena. Its more residential, was nice though at night, felt a lot safer. The only problem I had with this location was it said it was 24 hour access but it was very hard to get in one night when I came in late. Luckily I had a phone and was able to get in by calling the place. Other than that, its a great hostel, in a great location and not as packed as the other hostels.

This hostel was perfect. It is out of the tourist chaos, but also an easy bus ride into the centre. It has a very well equipped kitchen and wifi, the beds are comfortable and the space fosters a really communal vibe to meet other travellers (unlike other bigger hostels). The owner Juan and his family are wonderful, he helped me with many things from buying flights to cooking dinner together! I really loved my 2 stays at this hostel and would highly recommend it.

Where to begin. We had an amazing time at this hostel! Where it lacks in amenities it make up ten fold in homelyness and comfort. Juan and his family were nothing but nice to us and even helped us plan the later parts of our trip and aquire discounts for taxis and busses. Located in bocagrande/castillogrande its an easy 30 to 45 minute walk to the historic old town. Catch a bus if you dont like walking they drive right past the front door! I cant write all I want tobut all in all great experienc

• 17th Jan 2014

We really enjoy the time we share in the hostel with you, we also also like you guys a lot so whenever you want this is your home, have a good time in your trip, all the best wishes for you

I went there with my friends in January and we had a great time. Juan and his family are great, always helping ! The hostel isn't expensive and it is in a great neighborhood ,a bit expensive, but if you walk a few block you'll find Mc Donalds, Burguer King, KFC and many other restaurants that can be really cheap. It is also really safe and quiet, and it isn't that far from the historical part, maybe 10 min by taxi. I definitely recommend this place to everybody who is going to Cartagena.

• 16th Jan 2014

Sentirse en su propia casa en el Jamrock. Esta es a sensacion que tengo dejando el hostal, esto es como me sentì durante mi estadia. El hostal es super funcional, desde el aire acondicionado en las habitaciones hasta una cocina muy bien equipada y totalmente a disposicion de los huespedes. Y con esta sensacion encima es facil hacer amistad con los otros huespedes y pasar un tiempito placentero juntos. El dueño, Juan Carlos es muy amistoso, habla un ingles perfecto y es muy profesional a nivel de

• 6th Jan 2014

The owner was a very nice guy and helped us with excursions. This was a very basic hostel but very cheap. If you want to go somewhere that has a bar or something this isn't the place but as I say it is very cheap, so if that's what you want go here!

I am by no means fussy and so I hope this review is helpful, the hostel itself is lovely and in a pretty neighbourhood that is safer than safe. A 20 minute walk into town is a gross exaggeration I'm fit and it takes me 35-45 but there are buses that take you for 1600 so don't worry. The wifi is excellent and the beds are comfortable, the showers works and the kitchen is decent. Now to the owner, he is incredibly helpful but also incredibly horny, more of a predator so ladies be careful

We reserved a private room with shared bathroom, but that room didn't exist anymore according to the owner when we arrived. The owner then gave us some options: We chose to sleep on an air mattress on the floor in his room, he offered that to us for free which was very nice of him. The only drawback was that he came home in the middle of the night, slightly drunk and pretty loud. The hostel is nice, with the facilities you want, the area is safe but its far from the city center.