Jan Palach Hostel Reviews

Isola della Giudecca 186, Venice, Italy

the location is okay, off on one the smaller islands but nice view of the duomo and st marks tower. a few bugs were found in the room, specifically a dead wasp on the curtain was was killed and left there. a lot of mosquitos, i was bite all through the night. bathrooms and showers were very very basic and looked old.

Great hostel with a kitchen and dining room - good for preparing your own food! A bit out of the way though, as it was a €7 water-bus ride to and from the island.

Everybody was very solicit, even arriving after 10pm: just a phone call, and they received us with no problem what so ever. The Room was great, and the location itself, disregarding the fact that you have to take the vaporetto there, is perfect. I think the overall maintenance condition could be improved, for example, one of the lights in the showers was out, and the shower holders were missing. There were some spider webs on our room, but besides that, everything was pretty good.

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Portugal
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Location is a boat ride from venice- not far \-20min?! Easy to get to. Single room clean.shared bathroom with someone also in a single with a bath and shower head. Room got wet after a shower and no shower curtain or bathmats so only used this once before anyone else the next day I used the shared showers at the end of the hall. Toilet tissue ran out, told staff about the wet bathroom and nothing was done- so used shared one. Check in is late and check out early so I think a bit of a cheat.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Very good location close to the centre but away from the hustle and bustle. 'Proper' hostel facilities....communal kitchen and dining area etc. We're very spacious and well looked after. We were also allowed to check in early which was an added bonus. When leaving bags at the hostel however they were to be left in the common area which was unsecured and therefore was a little inconvenient.

This is a fairly clean hostel, you stay on a different island so be aware you need to catch the boats everywhere (it's very easy though).

Although it is located at Lido, the hostel is very close to the bus stop, which is very convenient. There is a supermarket nearby, which made our lives much easier. However, there are lots of mosquitoes in our room. Remember to switch on the mosquito incense. Also, the water temperature of the shower was quite fluctuating.

If there ever was a dream-hostel, it's Jan Palach. My room looked out over the Giudecca to see Venice on the other side. Everything was very clean, the kitchen actually included an oven and I had a more or less personal bathroom with a real bath. The staff helped me around and even showed me bits of Venice and introduced me to a Venetian student who took me to the best cappucino of the Isola della Giudecca. I'd definitely return here and recommend it to everyone.

Bathrooms and kitchen facilities were not very clean at all, had to re-wash everything in the kitchen before using it, showers were always blocked with black stuff coming out of the plug. Staff were nice enough but not helpful or socialable in any way, just kept to themselves, did not make any effort to socialise with guests. Hostel could be great if staff improved atmosphere. Also, cost of boat transport makes it not as cheap as you may think, 30 euros for 48 hours

Very nice staff! They ran out of toilet paper at one point but after the staff was alerted the problem was resolved immediately. Facilities were pretty clean and I felt secure.

the centre is so close but yet so far, each time you cross the water you have to pay 7 euro's for the ferries. Staff was bad in English: couldn't really help out. Hoped to meet more people... If I knew about the ferry prices I had taken a more expensive hotel/hostel in the centre to avoid that.

Great location with great views! Would definitely stay again!

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Wales

This was a good hostel to stay in. Right across the water from downtown and had a lot of people there, which created a very nice atmosphere for anyone who is a single traveller trying to meet people and hang out in such a beautiful city

The single room had a beautiful view over the canal and st marc's square! Couldn't of asked for anything better! Many thanks.

great location, and great price, but did not have an overly hostel vibe! The staff were friendly enough but the guests here during my stay tended to keep themselves to themselves. The location was a amazing though and so cheap for somewhere right in the heart of Venice, with the boat buses running all through the day and night it was easily accessible.

I enjoyed my stay at this place, but there is something you need to know. The hostel is on a quiet island unreachable by foot. You will find grocery stores nearby and you will sleep well at night, but getting to the island might be a proble if you are staying for a few night. Public transit in Venice is crazy expensive. Good kitchen facilities but the amosphere wasn t all that great.

The staff wasn't the most helpful with providing us information on the city, which was pretty frustrating actually. But it was nice to have a private room (me and one other person) and a kitchen so readily available. The wifi was free but it disconnected often and I had to log in every 5 minutes or so, & you couldn't access it in the kitchen, but honestly that was better than most hostels I've stayed at. It isn't on the main island so it's going to cost you a bit to get around but its not so bad

It was a great hostel, one one of the islands so you need a boat ticket which can be expensive if you do not buy a day or week pass but it was really easy to get into the centre. There is a really good kichen and a super cheap supermarket near by which was great! The view from the front is amazing! It was very clean and comfortable beds