Jazz on the Park-Hostel Reviews

36 West 106th Street @ Central Park West, New York City, New York, New York, USA

2039 Total Reviews

When I arrived I didn't know anything about the hostel and the staff didn't even explain me where were the bathrooms. I was quite lost they didn't explain me ANYTHING. And I also had to bring all my luggage to the 5th floor without any elevator so if you are not lucky it can happen so pack light !!! For the rest, it was ok. This is not the best and not the worst hostel i've stayed in. It was a normal one. Also you have to pay if you let your luggage in their safe room.

I had a great time in this hostel and I would definetly recommend it to anyone that is looking for a combination between sightseeing and some party:) The location hardly cant get better right next to central park and subway lines down & uptown just on a 4 minute walk. The common room is great for meeting new friends, have a little diner you can get from the stores just 2 blocks up. The staff is really friendly and great to party with, lots of activities! Just book!! Would come back here!!

• 30th Dec 2013
  • robertmesschendorp9689

GOOD PLACE TO STAY !! I just had no good experience with one girl ( worker ) when she was explain me how to go to my room, I dont speak well english so I was asking more detail about the location of my room, also I tried once to lookfor my room and didnt find, and back with her to ask again and she just put unpatience face to me and finally she showed me the room location. JUST IS POINT TO IMPROVE THE SERVICE OR ATTITUDE OF SOME WORKERS IN THIS CASE JUST SHE.

This hostel is horrible! We had 5 ppl and reserved a 6-man bedroom, we got there earlier at noon and placed our luggage at the basement due to no check-in before 3. We shown our identity as we are that 5-ppl group. When we returned at around 7pm, we were told to sleep at 3 difference room, MIXED gender room!!! We moved around this 5 trolley hostel including its basement with luggage and this hostel got no elevator !!!

The two-men room has nothing but a bed. The heating device in my room keeps shaking and making noisy sound when the water boils in it. Obviously the reason is the age of the device so staffs had no idea to fix it. Even the device is working, my room is cooler than those on lower floors. The purchased network (I paid $20 for 7 days) is even worse than the free one on the first floor. However, the staffs are nice and tried their best to fix these problems. Spending $110 for a night is not worthy.

They lost my booking and couldn't put me in the same style room and had to move me around 3 times in 7 days there. The heater leaked water all over the floor and the wifi that you had to pay for was out for a couple of days.

The door can't locked.

• 20th Dec 2013
  • Taiwan

This hostel is a great deal !! The location is just exceptionnel: a few steps from Central Park and from a subway station. The staff is helpful and very nice. I was nicely surprised by the cleanliness of the common areas (bathroom). The breakfast (included) is just amazing, you really have something for your money ! I appreciated the activities every night (pub crawl, movies etc). The only drawbacks I find are that you have to pay for Internet and for the luggage room when you check out

Stayed here for 5 nights recently. One of the main reasons I chose Jazz on the park was because of it being cheaper than the other hostels in the area. I couldn't believe it doesn't have a proper kitchen(no oven,only a microwave). I had to eat out everyday so I would have been better to pay a few dollars more for a hostel with a kitchen. Also the free internet only works occasionally so you have to pay for the decent internet if you need a good connection. Not good value for money!!

Having read reviews of this site I was expecting better. I can only guess those reviews were written by people who haven't traveled the world as a backpacker. Expensive with not a huge range of room types. No kitchen to speak of and absolutely NO atmosphere of any type. Yes it gave free breakfast but that was "ok" as an attempt of a saving grace goes...

• 12th Dec 2013

This was the best value for the dollar. I actually got sick on my stay there. The staff was very friendly and understanding. The lobby was an inviting atmosphere where I could sit down and chat with other guest. The guest were extremely friendly. The exposed downstairs and bright colors thought the building gave it a nice warm feeling. Being steps from central park and the train was a big pulse for me. The free muffins in the morning were also quite tasty. I will be returning on future adventus

• 10th Dec 2013

Bedding wasn't the cleanest and lockers in room are small. But atmosphere, location and staff make up for that.

• 29th Nov 2013

beds are too small if one is above 1,90m in height. internet policy (free wifi in common room, cotly wifi in rooms) creates a strange atmosphere, everyone sits with their smartphones in the common room.

• 26th Nov 2013

I revisited the hostel after a few-year break. Location is simply EXCELLENT!!! Staff is pretty ok. Cleanliness is very decent.. Breakfast is yummie for 1-2 day stay :) I'm hoping to come back there this month for another short stay. Highly recommend it!

the matress was to noisi and without strong enaugh to mantein any body. missing stuff in the toilets, and those ones where cold, really cold. Staff and facilities very good, breakfast amazing.

I stayed there for 3 nights. The staff are approachable and willing to help. The breakfast is great and you will enjoy talking to different people while eating. :-)

• 19th Nov 2013
  • ej445
  • Philippines

Heating system sucks at your hostel.

• 15th Nov 2013

We faced a lot of problems: door did not lock, two persons were given the same bed, mistakes while billing, no follow up. Facilities are just ok. I have stayed in number of hostels and this one was below the standards I expect for this price. Location is really convenient and that's the only reason why I would recommand this place. Staff is nice but I wish I would have faced less issues during my stay.

• 15th Nov 2013

Great location, helpful staff, close to amenities, clean, safe and for a hostel, it was really quiet! Breakfast was average. There's no kitchen, just a fridge in the common/breakfast room. The only complaint I have was with the inability to control the temperature in the room, it's an old heating system.

Simple and straightforward. Location was good. Internet was extremely slow in the common areas and the connection in the rooms required additional payment. The only significant complaint would be the noise from the bathroom door closing and the ventilation fan in the shower room. I guess that could be avoided by living further away from the bathroom door or putting a stopper on the door so it would not slam shut.

• 7th Nov 2013