Jazz on the Park-Hostel Reviews

36 West 106th Street @ Central Park West, New York City, New York, USA

It's a nice hostel. I stayed in a two-bed bedroom, clean and spacious with enough room for both. The only problem I had was that I arrived at 11pm on New Year's Eve, I let them know about my late check-in the day before, but no one was at the front desk to open the door (I called and wait for 30min) or available to check me in. Beside that, the atmosphere there is great and also is the location, one block away from Central Park and two blocks from 103st W subway station.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Argentina

It was okay. I got to know many awesome friends. But it was so cold, so I didn't even take shower.

nice hostel. does not have wifi on the rooms and no male bathroom in first floor. other than that, comfy hostel, in a nice neighborhood, near the subway and central park.

Good location, close to subway station and plenty of delis near by. Not many showers or toilets and bathrooms were often dirty. Communal areas were good.

Reasonably secure and clean, staff was very helpful.

Staff was never there, so people could barely check in or out. And they were very unfriendly aswell. Restrooms and showers were too small and dirty. The rooms are way too expensive !! Would never go there again

• 26th Dec 2014

Disappointing that the wifi only works in the lobby area and not in the rooms.

• 26th Dec 2014

I would definitely recommend Jazz on the Park, the staff are so helpful and there are events going on every night so you'll never get bored.

• 25th Dec 2014

This hostel is a good place where to stay. Pretty close to the city centre and to the C line metro stop, it has also a couple of groceries where to buy beers or anything you need it. Plus, almost everyday something will be arranged from the staff and you will never get bored! Rooms and facilities are a bit stark (e.g. only one WC for the whole floor, seriously?) but you are supposed to not spend too much time in your bedroom. The common area, on the ground floor, is large and comfortable

• 21st Dec 2014

The hostel is in a great location, especially for the price. The staff are also really nice and accommodating. The facilities and rooms are pretty basic, and not particularly nice, and the common area isn't necessarily that social and comfortable to hang out in (there was a bit of a kitchen/cafe area that was always closed, I'm assuming it is just never open?) but overall no major complaints, it was still a great value for the price!

There's no elevator and it can be a little bit complicated if you have heavy luggage, once the staff doesn't help you with anything about it, neither show you the rooms. A weird experience was about a sound that came from hell seeming to be hitting pipes and also the heat that was over heat. They used to have breakfast in the first and second they and then it was suspended without any apologize or justification. Also there's no fountain, making you have to buy water to drink.

It was my 5th time saying in NYC. I would say it is the worth one. First of all, the "local taxes" we're not included in the final bill. It's like extra 15 dollars. So sad. Secondly, I was given a towel which was actually yellow. Not because of the color but because it was absolutely dirty. Sorry, guys, I threw it away. My last two mornings were without breakfast. They just cancelled it and didn't give money back for this option. I would never stay there and recommend it to anybody.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Russia

The Hostel is quite fair with a good price-service relation (clean, good bathrooms, good breakfast and good mood). If it had elevators would be more easy the access but until 5 floors of ladders it is fair enough.

Had booked a 2 bed female dorm as I was staying with a friend - we weren't placed in the same room. Obviously this can happen with hostels, however, usually a hostel will try their best to accommodate for this - which they did not. Bedrooms were too hot. Bathrooms and bedrooms weren't as clean as they should've been. Reception booked a taxi to the airport which was meant to arrive in 10 mins - 50 mins later and no sign of taxi.

The reason behind my average scores for this hostel were the shower facilities. The ones I saw (and used) were just cubicles with shower curtains and very little space and very few hooks for clothes and towels. To make matters worse, there was no hot water when I tried to take a shower on the 4th floor on a wintry (6 deg Celsius) morning! The bunks were great, but the security of female guests need to be better enforced, the bathrooms' were accessible by all. Everything else is good.

This hostel is good if you just want to have a place to sleep. So if you don't expect much it's perfekt. Important for me: they have rooms for just two. Everything was clean. The only really annoying this is that I reciefe a lot of mails from hostel world about writing a review. So if you don't want to receive them you shouldn't book it here. Also we needed to pay more than this hostelworl said. I'm happy with jazz on the park - but not with hostelworld.

• 10th Dec 2014

I stayed at the Jazz for three days earlier this month and my experience was absolutely fantastic. It is what it says, a hostel and is perfect for a short trip. Facilities are spartan but adequate. Rooms are clean the linen is fresh and there is air conditioning or heat as required. The staff was polite and helpful. Perfect for a short stay in the big Apple if you are not looking for any luxuries.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • India

Was sleeping on the fifth floor which was freezing and as a result we all left New York ill. Originally they didn't put me and two friends I had booked for in the same room which was annoying but after words with a staff member we got put into a room on the Baltic fifth floor together. Had to wear a hat, scarf, gloves and three pairs of socks to bed. I liked how they let us leave our luggage there after checking out so we didn't have carry them around for our last day. Free breakfast also great

• 6th Dec 2014

Perhaps the only big drawback was there being only 1 toilet per floor.

Great staff. I definitely enjoyed talking to Freddie, Mary, and Yulisus (not sure if I'm spelling it correctly. Eric's brother, anyhow). However, everyone was very friendly.

• 2nd Dec 2014