Jazz on the Park-Hostel Reviews

36 West 106th Street @ Central Park West, New York City, New York, USA

The hostel is good, well located and part of the stag is very nice, I made a reservation for 12 night and I paid the deposit, but when arrived they has being cancel my reservation because I arrived later, I was informed that we will arrive later, the beds are uncomfortable make a lot of noise, and the people play music at the middle of the night very high in the breakfast room, the breakfast is good but every day is the same.

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Chile

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a feedback, if arriving late we advise that guest should send us an email or give us a call. We are sorry for the inconvenience of your stay, as our beds are all new spring-less mattresses. The music is a part of entertainment for our guest, open for any suggestions and we are glad you enjoyed the breakfast.

Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was spacious. Atmosphere was good, so was the breakfast, though location is not ideal (if you want to be close to the action of midtown, soho, Chelsea and so on). Great if you enjoying Central Park... Bathrooms and toilets were clean but a but far from the room...

Thank you for your kind feedback, we are glad you enjoyed the location and had a great stay with us.

location is very good,if you want live in Manhattan. it is nearby the central park,and there are several museums nearby,and very close to subway station. staffs are nice.breakfast is free and several choices to make(fruit+muffin+toasts+oatmeal) BUT there is no free wifi, you have to purchase!!!!!

Thank you for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the location and attractions in New York City. We offer free WiFi in our lobby and cafeteria.

Good place. More conveniently located if you're into going to the National History Museum and Central park than the city center but the buses are easy enough to figure out. Beds are a bit squeaky but comfy enough and small personal lockers were available in the rooms which was good for not having to carry valuable around during the day. Breakfast was pretty great. yay bagels! Showers were a bit cramped and gross.

Thank you for your review, we are glad your enjoyed the location and our breakfast. We are sorry for any inconvenience that you have encountered during your stay with us. We have cleaning staff during the day and night making sure our bathrooms and showers are cleaned.

I liked the stay in Jazz on the Park hostel, because it has a beautiful location near the lovely central park (and 15 minutes with the subway to midtown manhattan) and it is pretty clean and save. However the atmosphere is the hostel is not super cosy, because there is not really a common room. And it's really noisy becaue the doors make a lot of noise when they close and the beds make noise because there from plastic. But overall I had a nice stay because my roomies were sweet!

• 30th May 2014

Thanks for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry you did not get a chance to enjoy our lounge room which is located downstairs in the basement, which also has a television, and couches for guest to enjoy. We are currently installing new doors in our hostel and our mattresses are all new and spring-less. We are sorry for any inconvenience and we thank you for your time to leave us a kind review.

It's a good deal for a hostel in New York. It is bare bones but they have towels, linen, bunk beds, small lockers in room, includes breakfast and it is right next to a quiet and pretty part of Central Park. It is far from the action though, so you'd need to take the subway to get anywhere. Overall it was pleasant and I would recommend it if your are okay with a basic hostel.

Thank you for your friendly review, we are glad you enjoyed the amenities we offer at our hostel.

Nice hostel! Good vibe, the staff is helpful! There were so many friendly people staying there too and I met good people. There were nice things organized by the staff as pub crawl, party, etc. Rooms and toilets were clean most of the time. It's not really cheap, but NYC is an expensive place in general, so it's worth it. I had a good time there and would stay there again if one day I come back to NYC.

Thank you for your generous feedback. We are glad you had such a great time at our hostel and you are always welcome to come join us again.

staff were very helpful and friendly, community lounges were awesome and spacious. breakfast cafeteria was good but very limited. rooms were daggy and walls were paper thin. bathroom was nothing special. overall cheap and it was a room in a busy city so generally quite happy if its JUST for a place to sleep.

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our amenities and we are glad our staff was such a great help to you, customer service is always important to us.

As a New York property, close to downtown at a value for money price can't happen, but Jazz is OK considering the location. Security was a bit slack, with the lock on my dorm broken and someone else taking my bed on night one, which staff resolved quickly. Frankie, Entertainment Guru, lifted the atmosphere of the common room and made up for the fairly disengaged reception staff otherwise.

Thank you for your review, we are sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered during your stay with us. We have security camera running 24-hours in our building and a staff on duty 24-hours at the front desk to help resolve any problems that the guest may encounter. We are glad you enjoyed the environment that our entertainment guru offered. Customer Service is always a first priority to our staff.

I would stay here again. The staff was excellent kind and very helpful. I was treated very well by the staff. It's a good location.

• 17th May 2014

Thank you for your kind review. Customer service is very important to us, we are glad we were of much help. You are always welcome to stay with us again.

The room wasn't even close to be clean, there were ants in the lockers, on the walls and even into my suitcase when I packed before checking out. The staff is kind and nice, and the location is not too bad (I loved that it was close to central park, but hey it's still 106th street). The only reason why I gave decent rates on value for money is that it is nyc, and it is a completely different market, anywhere else this would have been a total robbery.

We would like to kindly thank you for your feedback and we are sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered. We encourage guest to not bring any food or beverage into the room, which is the result of the ants. We also have exterminators come very often to solve the solution. We are glad the staff was a great help and treated you nicely and welcoming.

The hostel was value for money considering its location near to Central Park. The showers and toilets were a longish walk down the corridor from where I was sleeping. I found that the music playing in the communal areas downstairs was unnecessarily loud. The staff were friendly and I felt that when I reported the stepladder on my bunk was loose and very noisy that something will be done about it. Someone else in my room reported that he was unable to close the window and it was repaired.

Thank you for your review, Each floor has showers and toilets for men and women on each end of the hallway, and shared within everyone on the same floor. The music is part of an entertainment for all guest and open for suggestions. We are glad that the staff was a great help. We strive to make sure all our guest enjoy and have a comfortable stay with us.

No kitchen facilities except for a microwave. Mattresses are made out of plastic that make so much noise when you sleep. Half the power points don't work. Anyone can walk into the hostel without being asked if they are staying there. The guys that worked there just hit on all the girls. But good location near the park and the subway

Thank you for your review and we apologize for the inconvenience, however we do not advertise having a full kitchen facility but guest can feel free to leave any items in our refrigerator and use our microwave and toaster. We have a maintenance crew that comes in everyday to make sure all electrical problems are solved. We lock front the door and have 24 hour surveillance camera in the building. Our staff are just very friendly and want to accommodate all guest to ensure a great stay.

Best breakfast I have ever had at a hostel

• 5th May 2014

Thank you for your friendly review, we are glad you enjoyed our breakfast!

Hostel was okay, but the beds where terrible

• 4th May 2014

We would like to apologize that you did not enjoy the comfort of our new spring-less mattresses. We appreciate the time that you take to give us a feedback about our facility. Our staff will keep striving to ensure the comfort of our guests.

The staff was accommodating, both for check-in and early morning check-out. In fact, since I was departing to participate in the TD 5 Boro bike ride and couldn't stick around for breakfast hours, 7:30-9:30, the staff told me to take fruit, muffins and juice with me. They were really friendly and helpful. The muffins were great. The building, room and bathroom were very clean. My only complaint was all of the door slamming all night long, seemed like. I kept waking up because of it.

• 2nd May 2014

Thank you for your review, we are glad you had such a great stay and enjoyed our facility, and in fact the door situation we know have been a problem, we are taking action in switching all our doors and locks at the moment.

You can survive it one night... Friendly staff Creepy atmosphere No elevators Terrible room and bathroom

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry for any inconvenience and discomfort that you encountered. We are glad that our staff was welcoming and helpful to you. However, we do not advertise elevators. We encourage guests to let our staff know of any problems of questions they have. Customer service is always a first priority to us.

Honestly, I was not very impressed. Though I enjoyed being in a new neighborhood -- I rarely make it this far north -- that was almost the only thing I enjoyed about my stay here. The staff were friendly and helpful. Everything worked, for what it is worth. But the beds were horrible, very, very noisy, and the free "breakfast" left something to be desired. I personally won't be returning. The mantra "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed the neighborhood and that the staff was a great help. We are sorry your did not enjoy the comfort of our new spring-less mattresses. We do not advertise breakfast on our website but we have a great variety that we offer for free to our guests.

My friend and myself stayed during April, when checking-in the staff were very unfriendly and didn't even offer my friend a hand with her bags as she had a broken arm. The beds were very loud, and there wasn't even a key for both of us for the time we stayed, we had to share a key.

• 1st May 2014

Thank you for your review, we apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. Customer service is important to us, our staff strives to accommodate every guest with problems that they encounter during their stay. We are sorry you did not enjoy the comfort of our new spring-less mattresses. Manual keys are limited so we give one key to every 2 guest that share the same room.

You have to pay for the wifi (2$ each 2 hour), you have to pay to have your luggages kept safely after checkout (4$), that's quite bad... Plus the cleanliness of the bathrooms and toilets could be better. Loud and boring music at night times in the kitchen... not rly funny place

Thank you for your review, we do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have encounter while staying with us. We are sorry you did not take advantage of our free Wi-Fi in our lobby. Although we do offer free Wi-Fi in our common areas sometimes the signal may be a bit weak due to high volume of usage. For your convenience we also offer Wi-Fi in the rooms and throughout the building at a small fee. Due to lack of space in our storage room we charge a small fee for storage.