Jazz on the Park-Hostel Reviews

36 West 106th Street @ Central Park West, New York City, New York, USA

Overall a nice hostel. A little bit far from the action, but a 5 minute walk from the subway. The staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful. If you are looking for a party kind of vibe, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

The staff don't know what they do! I had a reservation for three days and when I arrived in the Hostel they said that the room was in the 5th floor and there's no elevator in the building. I asked for a room in the second floor. The employee said that she has to cancel my hostel world reservation and do another one. I said ok. What was my surprise when I came back in the evening? All my stuffs were in a trash bag in the luggage room!!! The new reservation was made only for one night!!!

• 25th Nov 2014

We booked a 6 bed mixed dorm. There was six of us travelling and staying in the hostel however we got separated into two rooms.

• 24th Nov 2014

The hostel is great, about 10 minutes from Times Square on the subway. The staff are great and helpful

Staff were not particularly helpful on entry. There is no party vibe. Wifi is only in the downstairs common room and not in rooms. Location wasn't great, but subway is nearby so you can still get around. Breakfast consists of a bagel, coffee and banana which is not bad as it is free. Overall, I would not stay here again if I head back to NYC.

Good value and staff was friendly and helpful. Major downside was the lack of a working kitchen, you can only make meals in the microwave. The showers had a severe lack of space also, no shelving to store your clothing and no shelves in the shower stalls to put anything.

It is defeniteky one of the worst places I have been. The stuff was not nice at all, no even smiling, I had a feeling that they did not enjoy their work at all. The kitchen downstairs was really dirty and no one wanted to clean it, also the atmosphere was really bad. I did not wanted to come to the hostel after days walking in New York. I would defenitely recommend you to stay aaway from this place if you could find something else.

Great place - convenient location a few blocks from the bus to LGA airport and all west side subway lines. Rooms are clean and warm, water is hot, everyone is super-nice. Great experience!

It was great!! very good Location!!

• 18th Nov 2014
  • Peru

Had a great stay! Cool staff (Jose and Omar)! Nice rooms. Awesome location.

The staff is wonderful and accommodating, and this place attracts seasoned travellers from all over the world! Highly recommended.

• 15th Nov 2014

Staff was consistently unfriendly. There are no proper kitchen facilities, the fridge was full of rotten groceries and when staff did clean it out, they clearly had not been doing it regularly, as they laughed about how old and expired food items were. They ended up in the mess of cleaning it up, throwing out one of my tagged and dated bags of groceries. Tables are not wiped down in the common room. Guests were often sleeping on the couches in the main area, doors unlocked, etc

• 15th Nov 2014

1. There needs a safe or lock on that locker to keep our belongings safe in domitory room. 2. I guess it is time to change its bed and duvet in domitory room. 3. NY is cold in winter time. The domitory room is also cold. 4. Breakfast tickets should be spreaded out to each person. I believe it's not matters related with time.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

Jazz on the park is the best hostel in NYC and the location is right next to central park. Really cool and helpful staff, especially Jose and Maria. They organise free events such as pub crawls and comedy nights. The rate is also very good for NYC. I really recommend it.

Staying at this hostel was very special - employees always willing to help, nice breakfast, good matress (not too soft), interesting people, interesting events happening almost every evening - what more could u wish for :D And off course - there's no curfew ! U can come whenever - u get a card that opens all the doors you need :)

This is my 3rd time staying at the hostel. There is a lot of fun, good entertainment & great staff (especially Jose, Omar and Sergio) I stayed numerous times at hostels in Amsterdam which is a fun place but Jazz has taken 1st place on my list. Highly recommend it!

I paid under $40 for my one-night stay, so I had low expectations. I didn't care that it was loud, that there was no elevator, that the rooms didn't look like the pictures, etc. Everything was fine. But I give this hostel great ratings because, beyond value and location, it doesn't have a whole lot going for it. It's not the cleanest or most inviting. My biggest complaint is they really need more privacy in the showers, and some place to put your towel and clothes!

• 11th Nov 2014

This was my first hostel stay, but couldn't have been more pleased. My friend and I were too busy touring the city to do the activities they had planned but it's wonderful they were offered. Our room was clean and everything was as advertised. Staff were friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast was great. Well worth the money since hotels are pricey in NYC. I'll probably opt to stay at this hostel next time I go too.

• 10th Nov 2014

When we arrived, we have been welcomed by 3 girls who were talking on the phone! They did not take the time to show us our room. The building is quite big and we lost ourselves. They look like they did not care at all. The room felt like a prison cell and was not at all soundproof. We were hearing people in the toilets. For one night it was okay but I don't recommend it for several nights. It was clean though and very well situated! Plus, breakfast was included and free condoms at the reception

• 8th Nov 2014

If what you're looking for is a basic but clean hostel, then this is a perfect place for you to stay. In a very reachable part of Manhattan via the subway, this hostel offered relatively decent value for money in my opinion. There's wifi, but it didn't reach us in our rooms, and the room we were staying in was a floor away from the mens toilets and shower. This is less than ideal during the night! A good (but not excellent) hostel overall.

• 7th Nov 2014