Jazz on the Park-Hostel Reviews

36 West 106th Street @ Central Park West, New York City, New York, USA

As a New York property, close to downtown at a value for money price can't happen, but Jazz is OK considering the location. Security was a bit slack, with the lock on my dorm broken and someone else taking my bed on night one, which staff resolved quickly. Frankie, Entertainment Guru, lifted the atmosphere of the common room and made up for the fairly disengaged reception staff otherwise.

Thank you for your review, we are sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered during your stay with us. We have security camera running 24-hours in our building and a staff on duty 24-hours at the front desk to help resolve any problems that the guest may encounter. We are glad you enjoyed the environment that our entertainment guru offered. Customer Service is always a first priority to our staff.

I would stay here again. The staff was excellent kind and very helpful. I was treated very well by the staff. It's a good location.

• 17th May 2014

Thank you for your kind review. Customer service is very important to us, we are glad we were of much help. You are always welcome to stay with us again.

The room wasn't even close to be clean, there were ants in the lockers, on the walls and even into my suitcase when I packed before checking out. The staff is kind and nice, and the location is not too bad (I loved that it was close to central park, but hey it's still 106th street). The only reason why I gave decent rates on value for money is that it is nyc, and it is a completely different market, anywhere else this would have been a total robbery.

We would like to kindly thank you for your feedback and we are sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered. We encourage guest to not bring any food or beverage into the room, which is the result of the ants. We also have exterminators come very often to solve the solution. We are glad the staff was a great help and treated you nicely and welcoming.

The hostel was value for money considering its location near to Central Park. The showers and toilets were a longish walk down the corridor from where I was sleeping. I found that the music playing in the communal areas downstairs was unnecessarily loud. The staff were friendly and I felt that when I reported the stepladder on my bunk was loose and very noisy that something will be done about it. Someone else in my room reported that he was unable to close the window and it was repaired.

Thank you for your review, Each floor has showers and toilets for men and women on each end of the hallway, and shared within everyone on the same floor. The music is part of an entertainment for all guest and open for suggestions. We are glad that the staff was a great help. We strive to make sure all our guest enjoy and have a comfortable stay with us.

No kitchen facilities except for a microwave. Mattresses are made out of plastic that make so much noise when you sleep. Half the power points don't work. Anyone can walk into the hostel without being asked if they are staying there. The guys that worked there just hit on all the girls. But good location near the park and the subway

Thank you for your review and we apologize for the inconvenience, however we do not advertise having a full kitchen facility but guest can feel free to leave any items in our refrigerator and use our microwave and toaster. We have a maintenance crew that comes in everyday to make sure all electrical problems are solved. We lock front the door and have 24 hour surveillance camera in the building. Our staff are just very friendly and want to accommodate all guest to ensure a great stay.

Best breakfast I have ever had at a hostel

• 5th May 2014

Thank you for your friendly review, we are glad you enjoyed our breakfast!

Hostel was okay, but the beds where terrible

• 4th May 2014

We would like to apologize that you did not enjoy the comfort of our new spring-less mattresses. We appreciate the time that you take to give us a feedback about our facility. Our staff will keep striving to ensure the comfort of our guests.

The staff was accommodating, both for check-in and early morning check-out. In fact, since I was departing to participate in the TD 5 Boro bike ride and couldn't stick around for breakfast hours, 7:30-9:30, the staff told me to take fruit, muffins and juice with me. They were really friendly and helpful. The muffins were great. The building, room and bathroom were very clean. My only complaint was all of the door slamming all night long, seemed like. I kept waking up because of it.

• 2nd May 2014

Thank you for your review, we are glad you had such a great stay and enjoyed our facility, and in fact the door situation we know have been a problem, we are taking action in switching all our doors and locks at the moment.

You can survive it one night... Friendly staff Creepy atmosphere No elevators Terrible room and bathroom

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry for any inconvenience and discomfort that you encountered. We are glad that our staff was welcoming and helpful to you. However, we do not advertise elevators. We encourage guests to let our staff know of any problems of questions they have. Customer service is always a first priority to us.

Honestly, I was not very impressed. Though I enjoyed being in a new neighborhood -- I rarely make it this far north -- that was almost the only thing I enjoyed about my stay here. The staff were friendly and helpful. Everything worked, for what it is worth. But the beds were horrible, very, very noisy, and the free "breakfast" left something to be desired. I personally won't be returning. The mantra "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed the neighborhood and that the staff was a great help. We are sorry your did not enjoy the comfort of our new spring-less mattresses. We do not advertise breakfast on our website but we have a great variety that we offer for free to our guests.

My friend and myself stayed during April, when checking-in the staff were very unfriendly and didn't even offer my friend a hand with her bags as she had a broken arm. The beds were very loud, and there wasn't even a key for both of us for the time we stayed, we had to share a key.

• 1st May 2014

Thank you for your review, we apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. Customer service is important to us, our staff strives to accommodate every guest with problems that they encounter during their stay. We are sorry you did not enjoy the comfort of our new spring-less mattresses. Manual keys are limited so we give one key to every 2 guest that share the same room.

You have to pay for the wifi (2$ each 2 hour), you have to pay to have your luggages kept safely after checkout (4$), that's quite bad... Plus the cleanliness of the bathrooms and toilets could be better. Loud and boring music at night times in the kitchen... not rly funny place

Thank you for your review, we do apologize for any inconvenience that you may have encounter while staying with us. We are sorry you did not take advantage of our free Wi-Fi in our lobby. Although we do offer free Wi-Fi in our common areas sometimes the signal may be a bit weak due to high volume of usage. For your convenience we also offer Wi-Fi in the rooms and throughout the building at a small fee. Due to lack of space in our storage room we charge a small fee for storage.

Use an exterminator for the infestation of roaches, especially the ones crawling on the complimentary breakfast. Tell the cleaning crew to actually clean the rooms. They do not replace towels until you ask. They do not clean or vacuum the floors.

The worst bed ever! I won't recommend this place to a friend. The only good thing was the breakfast, even though they serve tang as orange juice. The bunk beds are really old and noisy, thin steel armor. The mattress are really, really bad, seems to have 10 years of intense use, You can fell the bottom. Don't stay here. I had a 4 days reservation and checked out after the first night.

• 27th Apr 2014

Thank you for your review, we apologize for the discomfort of your stay. We are sorry you did not enjoy the comfort of our new spring-less mattresses. We appreciate you taking the time to give us a feedback, it helps us improve our customer service in the future.

Really friendly and helpful staff, but overall not a particularly nice place to stay. I'm assuming NYC is generally terrible for hostels. Overall the rooms, bathrooms and shower rooms are dirty, we had ants in our room, the room was either freezing or boiling, the showers have nowhere for you to change, breakfast was not very nice, lots of noisy morning work being done and one morning some random workmen burst into our room - not great when you have 2 women changing! Good central park location.

Thank you for your review, we are glad our staff was welcoming and helpful. We apologize for any inconvenience. We have staff on duty 24 hours making sure bathrooms and showers are kept clean. Temperature throughout the building can be adjusted upon request with our staff. We have work men coming into our building to improve and modernize our facility ensuring a great stay for all our guests.

In the late night, I met a guy at 103 st. (on my way to jazz on the rock hostel at 106 st.). He walked to me and bumped to me and broke his bottle ,he told me it is $20 liquor, and he wanted me to pay $20.

• 27th Apr 2014