Joe & Flo's Candlelight Hostel - New Orleans Reviews

1129 N. Robertson Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

I'm very disappointed and dissatisfied. When I arrived to the Joe & Flo's Candlelight Hostel I saw a little sign with the following text: "Due to a recent fire Joe & Flo Hostel is closed. Guest who have reservations will be housed at another location. Please call...". My friends and I ended up in another hostel far far away from the city center (around 20 minutes by car) for the same price. I couldn't believe it!

We are sorry you were not pleased with accommodations: after a fire that left us devastated & working to exhaustion to get alternative housing for our guest with standing reservations. The manager carried a member of your party in their personal vehicle to the new location at no charge, Emails were sent and calls made to those who listed them in their profiles. An offer of cancellation without penalty and then discounts on total bill was given to your entire party.

Worst experience ever. We made our book for this hostel located in the French Quarter and they relicated us, without any notice, to another place in the outskirts of new orleans. Furthermore, we were accommodated in an 8-people room when we had booked a 4-people private one.

• 11th Oct 2013
  • Spain

I don´t know, what kind of insects are living in the beds of this hostel, but I´m still suffering from them.

i only spent two nights at this hostel, it was comfortable, clean and the location was incredible! less than 5 minute walk to french quarter. It just felt a bit weird because I was pretty much the only person there.

Disgraceful! Extremely unprofessional and poor customer service. Had an issue with a cancellation and was hung up on and treated terribly. Do not mention in the write up that they are located in slums. Do not recommend for anyone

• 29th Aug 2013
  • All Male Group, 18-24

We are so sorry for your negative experience. But we are happy to say that WE ARE UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT & NEW STAFF members have been trained and ready to serve our guest. The area you mention as " slums" is one of the safest areas to live in city. We come and go thoroughout the night with No Incidents! It I also recommended that ALL future guest to ANY facility review the Cancellation policies before you book.

It was a fine experience. Not really great, not really terrible. I guess my opiniom is based more on the people there than the hostel itself. It doesn't seem to attract travelers, I am pretty sure that it was people without homes.

• 21st Aug 2013

The woman's bathroom ran out of toilet paper and it was never replaced, as the staff seemed to be absent most of the time. Also, at one point the bathroom was smeared with a mysterious substance that was not cleaned up. The staff was very friendly when present. Also, be warned that they might make the entire payment through hostelworld.com without notice, rather than in person. The provided computer was extremely slow, taking up to 4 minutes to load a page.

This was clearly once a great hostel but it has since lost a lot of its flare. The staff are unfailingly polite and helpful (even when i had to ring them in the middle of the night to get back in) but there is only so much they can do about the broken fittings or the brutally inefficent air conditioning. The area can be offputting too. Between Flo's and the french quarter there are a fee streets I would not want to be after dark. Overall it was fine for a short stay but not an extended trip.

Bed was not comfortable. Some plugs and lights did't work in bedroom and bathroom. Good location, near all the intereting places. OK but i wouldn't repeat again

• 27th Jul 2013
  • Spain

The first two days we really liked it. But then all staff disappeared and and the AC was turned off. It was so hot in the hostel we couldn't even be there. And the room was far too hot to sleep in. When we called for the staff the said the would fix it, so they came next morning and turned it on. But as soon as they left they turned it off again. And this continued for several days. I would NOT recommend it. Which is sad, because the neighborhood is great and the house is beautiful.

No hot water but other than that it was completely wonderful.

• 3rd Jul 2013

THANKS!!! For the GREAT and HONEST review. The city was working on a gas line resulting in Joe and Flo being without hot water for a few days. That problem has been resolved and we are back in full operation. THANKS for bearing with through the inconvenience.

Warning !!!! Bedbugs!!!!!!!!!! The Word terrible is Not Bad enough. Nobody should be go into this hostal. The Rates with 73 % is a joke. It Must be faked. @ Hostalworld: get it Out of your hostal offer.

Thanks for the bedbugs. I have between 40-50 bedbug bites on my body.

I wish I could give this hostel a better review. The staff was GREAT and somehow the hostel feels comfortable like a friend's house - but the friend you prefer to invite to YOUR house. They could benefit from very simple upgrades. There was solid wood furniture in our double room and a false fireplace, but it lacked charm and the mattress was very uncomfortable. The breakfast was poorly served - the make-your-own pancake mix (a cute idea) was not available one day and guests were left guessing.

• 20th May 2013

We had a great time staying here. The location was great, the staff was very helpful and it was exactly what we needed and in our price range.

• 12th May 2013
  • Tanzania

THANKS, for the GREAT and HONEST review! We are grateful to have made your stay at Joe and Flo an enjoyable one. Please visit with us again upon your next visit to the Big Easy!!!

The manager is very sweet, professional, and hard working. The rest of of the staff needs to go. The owners need to seriously invest in renovation. Location is great.

• 29th Apr 2013

I think the Joe and flo's was nice stay for the price. We where told it was not a save neighborhood and keep things lock up outside. The place did not have a lot of room to chill out. Its was nice to sleep and shower. They did have a back yard patio but it was unusable or under construction.

• 21st Apr 2013

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay even though most likely the cab driver probably was the one trying to scare you half to death. To the contrary this is a very safe neighborhood. Even reading through all the reviews, guest safety has never been an issue, but THANKS for the review!!

This will be not my first option if I need to come back to new Orleans

This was a HORRIFYING experience--we stayed 5 days. The bed bugs were the worst part. We tracked them back to 3 apartments in 3 states over the course of months because of how tenacious they are. It took $600 to get rid of the problem (call someone for a quote!), and 2 trips by the pest control people. There were many other problems, which you can read about in my yelp review, such as hidden charges, uncleanly rooms, terrible management, but bed bugs are FAR worse. I deeply regret staying here.

• 6th Apr 2013

The structure is pretty old, but actually I didn't care because in turn it was really clean with a respectful the atmosphere. I had a really good stay there.

• 30th Mar 2013

THANKS for the GREAT review!!! You make our day to know that you enjoyed yourself. Do come back and visit us again!!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7