Jolly Swagman Backpackers Reviews

27 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

No complaints. Had a room to myself after a long trip and it had everything I needed. Nice double bed, fridge, tv and fan. Would stay again. Ideally would have like an ensuite, but the shared bathroom was fine.

• 25th Jan 2015

Really good and clean hostel. Only drawback is if you book online for under 30$ and want to stay longer they charge you 38$. Cool free activities every day.

Most people were very unfriendly. It was very cliquey and although some people were nice, most would sit in their little groups and just stare uncomfortably as you walked by. No "hi" back, no smile, no nothing. Witnessed SO MANY bad MDMA and extacy trips while there. People just freaking out, screaming, kicking stuff. Staff was nice though. Also prostitutes and homeless people EVERYWHERE once you step outside. The people in my room where nice but I wouldn't recommend staying here!!!

As good as it was before. I could not stay for xmas and have to go home. Will recommend to friends who come to Australia in 2015.

Loved it, Loved it, Loved it

Very crowded and small rooms.

I'll say the Jolly Swagman was...alright. The staff were friendly and helpful, so that was a good first impression. When I got up to my room though, it was completely trashed and smelled bad. This was more my roommates' fault then the hostel's, but something should have been done to control this, in my opinion. Also, the sheets didn't fit the bed. Overall, the vibe and people here seemed a bit off-putting. Nothing was unbearable, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• 26th Nov 2014

Our room was vacuumed twice during our 5 day stay, which is excellent. There was only one female shower and 2 toilets on the whole floor, but I somehow never had to queu to wash my hair or go pee, so I can't really complain. The staff is friendly and some of them interact well with the backpackers, mostly the French-speaking ones. If you want to go party or see a lot of the city centre on foot, this is the perfect location for you.

• 25th Nov 2014
  • Belgium

Was pretty good hostel overall, although the safe storage is in the lounge (in saying that nothing has ever gone missing). The staff are friendly and pretty helpful, however I personally didn't receive any more information than my room key so the kitchen facilities etc were uncomfortable to use. But overall it was worth the money, only suggestion is wifi throughout the building because it only worked downstairs and not at all for me

place wasn't too bad, location is fine, but the wifi sucked and having your room right next to the staff laundry where they wash all the sheets is really not awesome if you have a light sleep

Located in kings cross which I found out wasn't a safe area to be in at night! The hostel staff were very helpful and the hostel had good offers and saved a lot of events. Had a private room and it wasn't very clean. Toe nails on floor and good on shelf. The hostel and the people are very noisy and don't try to be quiet so no sleep was really hot while there. Internet was free. Free basic breakfast, Bathroom and showers were really dirty.. Would stay in a central location next time

The information, that there is a perfect hostal in Sydney - Jolly Swagman Backpackers - we became during our travel through Cape York and we took the oportunity to spend our last 3 Australia days in the Sydney Jolly Swagman Backpackers Hostal and, it was perfect. We can recommend the Jolly Swagman Backpackers as a safe, clean room and kitchen, friendly staff, lots of information.... hostal. Gerda + Rolf from Germany

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I stayed at Jolly's for my first 3 nights I arrived in Australia and I loved it - the whole vibe about the place was friendly and chilled, I met some lovely people, the staff were great and the facilities were good. It's about a 15 minute walk into the main city which was great and the hostel does something near enough every night so you're never bored. I'd definitely recommend it and come back when I'm in Sydney!

Good staff, clean and very friendly !

We will never go back again! We booked a double room but the staff only inform us that they have some problem in booking system on the day we arrived and could only provide us twin room with bunk bed. The room is smelly. Shared toilet is dirty. Hostel is noisy as they are lots of people drinking and singing even after 12am.

Noisy hostel

• 19th Sep 2014

I wouldnt go back here - too many false promises and take backs. Their website says free airport shuttle - I had to pay for mine. They offer free wi-fi - well, only one hour for free and after you check in. They dont provide any sort of tour of the hostel, you just have to figure everything out on your own, and the staff seemed annoyed with every question I had and like they didnt want to be there. It was the wrong choice for my first hostel in a foreign country.

Good but not great. Several people in my room commented a few of the staff members were a bit snippy. Free WIFI was only 1 hour received at check in. Free breakfast was as advertised. Facilities were functional but definitely not the nicest by hostel standards.

The bad thing, only free wifi for one hour which barely didn't work, otherwise would def come back, nice things up every night nd easy to get to know everyone

• 10th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Hi Linn Thank you for your review. If we had of known there was a problem with the WIFI we would have reset it. It does happen from time to time, but its a very easy fix. Hopefully see you again Jollyswagman Backpackers

The room was quite good (twin room) with TV, fridge, and sink. It was quite noisy. The check was too early: 9am!!! I have been in a lot of backpackers and I have never seen that. And even when it was early, it was later for double/twin rooms. Breakfast finish at 9am also and the kitchen close at 9am for cleaning. Laundry was expensive also (6$) The girl at the reception was really nice but the guy was not. I do not think I will come back there.

• 6th Sep 2014

Hi Linn Thank you for your review. We did a survey and our guests indicated they preferred an early check in/out as opposed to a late check in/out, for this reason the check out is at 9am. The laundry is $3 to wash and $3 to dry, this is the standard. I hope after considering the above, if you are ever in Sydney again, we would love to have you stay with us again. Jolly Swagman Backpackers