Jolly Swagman Backpackers Reviews

27 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Staff where very welcoming and helpfull. Kept very clean. Only a small hostel so the people staying there are generally more welcoming and easy to talk to. Hostel puts stuff on almost every night so it is very easy to meet people through they're own nights as well. Would definitely recommend and would stay they're again

• 4th Apr 2014

Hi Thanks so much for the positive review. Hopefully we will see you again. Jolly Swagman Backpackers

Couldnt have asked for a better hostel. Very sociable with the nights out organised and cheap dinners to help those on a budget. Free breakfast and free bbq during the week (shame i wasnt there for them)

• 13th Mar 2014

Thanks for the great review Ashleen. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Jolly Swagman Backpackers

This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed in! It’s very filthy. This is a place where you wake up in the middle of the night by a cockroach running over you. I know cockroaches are normal in Sydney, but this hostel does nothing to keep them away. Food is stored in the dorm rooms and they even have food bins in the hallway - this is a cockroach disaster waiting to happen! On top of that cleaning is so rare that they need a sign on the dorm door when it happens. Avoid this hostel at all cost!

• 12th Mar 2014
  • Denmark

Thanks for staying at the Jolly Swagman, we are very sorry you didn't love your time with us, and wish we knew the problem AT THE TIME so we could fix it. We have checked your room and cannot see any problem now. Cockroaches - we have a guaranteed no cockroach" contract with an exceptionally good (and expensive) pest control company. Cleaning of dorm rooms happens daily and some people even complain that the dorms are cleaned too often. If there is a problem - tell us PLEASE we'll fix it

After a long flight I arrived and was told at check in that I had been upgraded to a private room, was so happy. Everything was excellent from staff to facilities. The Jolly Swagman's location was hale between the bondi and the city so you have the best of both worlds. If I ever come back I will stay here

• 10th Mar 2014

Thanks for the great review Kim. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Jolly Swagman Backpackers

Jolly Swagman Backpackers is a great hostel. Not too big not too small, I'll be back again :)

• 10th Mar 2014

Thanks for the great review John. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Hopefully see you soon. Jolly Swagman Backpackers

The facility is run down and old. Needs a good renovation. There were also numerous cockroach sightings and not enough bathrooms ....Staff was ok, but nothing great compared to other places I've been. They promote free internet but it's only for an hour, & then They rape you on internet charges. $5 for a few hours & $8 for 5 hours is a lot for a traveler! Just wasn't my type of hostel. I wouldn't recommend my friends to stay here. There are other, better places in Sydney.

• 6th Mar 2014

You need a key to enter the building which is great however before we had checked in I had managed to enter both the backpackers and the area need the rooms without a key due to people just holding doors open for everyone. Location great on one side however we planned a game called spot the prostitute near our hostel. Staff were not extremely helpful especially when trying to check in early and I asked for toilet paper to be put in the toilet and 12 hours later there was still no paper.

Awsome hostel. had a good time met lots of good people cheers guys

Thanks for the review Kane, hopefully we will see you again.

We chose this hostel because it listed 'parking' as a feature; when we arrived we found this was time limited on street parking. We are moving states so have all our possesions in the car and were not happy with this. Internet is also described as 'free wifi' which is limited to 1hr per person per stay. There is one bathroom (only 2x toilets, 2x showers) shared between two levels.

The staff were nice, I just waited about 15 minutes to check in because I arrived before 12PM, it is clean, having a kitchen was a plus. The best was the free airport pick up, breakfast, internet access for 20 min. restaurants and famers market around the corner. The only back experience was one of the roommates, R. Gakhal, she was rude with everybody in the room, the other girls, using bad words all the time, she even brought a guy to the female dorm, and they were drinking at night.

Hi Maria Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We encourage our guests to make us aware of any issues that they may have. There are certain things we have control over, however, people's attitude is something we can't control. Rude people annoy us all. We apologise that you were unlucky to be placed in a room with this lady. All in all, it seems you enjoyed your stay which is awesome, we really enjoyed having you here and hopefully we will see you again.

Very good atmosphere, I stayed in numerous hostels around the CBD and I wish I'd found this hostel first wouldn't have needed to move! Good location for going out in kings cross. Lovely staff, very friendly. Will definitely stay there again!

• 24th Jan 2014

Thanks for the great review Leanne, greatly appreciated :)

OK hostel. Pretty big so a lot of people around all the time, making meal times tricky. Felt very much like a young backpackers hostel.

• 17th Jan 2014

Hi Kirstin Thanks for taking the time to review the Jolly Swagman Backpackers. January is one of our busiest months and there is a lot of people around. Meal times can be tricky during these times, so thats why we offer $5 meals or free bbqs in order to make it easier. Hopefully we see you again. Jolly Swagman Backpackers

Had a blast at jollys. its very easy to meet people and make friends and every day they have some activity going on bringing the hostel together. been staying there twice now and are planing on going back soon again!

Sara It was our pleasure, hopefully see you soon :) Jolly Swagman Backpackers

The atmosphere makes this place better than any other place I've been. Great time and great people.

• 12th Jan 2014

We loved jolly! We stayed there two times within two weeks because we like it so much! Clean and nice rooms, very easy to get friends part wise because of all the events the hostelet is providing almost every day! A minus that we only get one hour free wifi at arrival and then you have to buy more if you need it! Overall the place in Sydney!!!

• 10th Jan 2014
  • Sweden

It was everything quite alright, nothing really amazed me of that place. But I have to say that wireless LAN should be free for people staying at a hostel! It is not a question of money but something which in our times I wouldnt even consider as not being included!!!!

• 6th Jan 2014

Hair con in our private room was not good, therefore we couldnt hardly get to sleep at night. Free Wifi only lasted a hour which was pointless. Otherwise hostel was very good! :)

First night in the hostel dorm room had to sleep with NO bedding!! Despite speaking to 3 different receptionists (11am, 6pm

Bathrooms slightly grubby but overall an above average hostel

Only here one night was great location