Jolly Swagman Backpackers Reviews

27 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

We booked into jolly swagmans for 4 nights in a 3 bed dorm. The dorm room was not like shown on the pictures it was small and cramped and should have only been used as a double or twin. I found the bathrooms very dirty with only 2 showers and 2 toilets on each floor so at busy periods you had to wait around. The kitchen was dirty and did not have enough pans etc for everyone to use. I would not stay here again.

• 17th Feb 2015

It was a nice place to stay in Sydney, very secure and 24/7 reception which we really liked. We got a room to ourselves but it always smelt really damp every time we got back to our room. Other than that I would recommend it to others. More for people who like to party and meet a lot of young people.

Room was good. There's a locker provided for each bed. The wifi isn't great, but when you could connected it just about managed emails and skype at a push. It's close to the Kings cross area for a good night out. Rooms have fans, but no AC.

Great place to stay especially for young backpackers. The staff will walk you to a bar every night and help you find things to do during the day. Only a few minutes walk from the kings cross train station which will get you anywhere you need to go in the city. Only problem we had was that we stayed in two different rooms and the second room would not connect to the free wifi at all.

• 3rd Feb 2015

We enjoyed the stay. close to everything, helpful staff and lots of suggestions on what to do. Sydney is not too big, can do alot by not using public transport.

• 28th Jan 2015

Really good stay. restaurants, bars are close. lots of culture in the city 15 minutes walk

• 27th Jan 2015
  • Mexico

No complaints. Had a room to myself after a long trip and it had everything I needed. Nice double bed, fridge, tv and fan. Would stay again. Ideally would have like an ensuite, but the shared bathroom was fine.

• 25th Jan 2015

Really good and clean hostel. Only drawback is if you book online for under 30$ and want to stay longer they charge you 38$. Cool free activities every day.

Cool location...Between the 24/7 staff to help you out and the cameras, it's a very safe place.

• 14th Jan 2015

Most people were very unfriendly. It was very cliquey and although some people were nice, most would sit in their little groups and just stare uncomfortably as you walked by. No "hi" back, no smile, no nothing. Witnessed SO MANY bad MDMA and extacy trips while there. People just freaking out, screaming, kicking stuff. Staff was nice though. Also prostitutes and homeless people EVERYWHERE once you step outside. The people in my room where nice but I wouldn't recommend staying here!!!

As good as it was before. I could not stay for xmas and have to go home. Will recommend to friends who come to Australia in 2015.

Loved it, Loved it, Loved it

Very crowded and small rooms.

I'll say the Jolly Swagman was...alright. The staff were friendly and helpful, so that was a good first impression. When I got up to my room though, it was completely trashed and smelled bad. This was more my roommates' fault then the hostel's, but something should have been done to control this, in my opinion. Also, the sheets didn't fit the bed. Overall, the vibe and people here seemed a bit off-putting. Nothing was unbearable, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• 26th Nov 2014

Our room was vacuumed twice during our 5 day stay, which is excellent. There was only one female shower and 2 toilets on the whole floor, but I somehow never had to queu to wash my hair or go pee, so I can't really complain. The staff is friendly and some of them interact well with the backpackers, mostly the French-speaking ones. If you want to go party or see a lot of the city centre on foot, this is the perfect location for you.

• 25th Nov 2014
  • Belgium

Was pretty good hostel overall, although the safe storage is in the lounge (in saying that nothing has ever gone missing). The staff are friendly and pretty helpful, however I personally didn't receive any more information than my room key so the kitchen facilities etc were uncomfortable to use. But overall it was worth the money, only suggestion is wifi throughout the building because it only worked downstairs and not at all for me

place wasn't too bad, location is fine, but the wifi sucked and having your room right next to the staff laundry where they wash all the sheets is really not awesome if you have a light sleep

Located in kings cross which I found out wasn't a safe area to be in at night! The hostel staff were very helpful and the hostel had good offers and saved a lot of events. Had a private room and it wasn't very clean. Toe nails on floor and good on shelf. The hostel and the people are very noisy and don't try to be quiet so no sleep was really hot while there. Internet was free. Free basic breakfast, Bathroom and showers were really dirty.. Would stay in a central location next time

The information, that there is a perfect hostal in Sydney - Jolly Swagman Backpackers - we became during our travel through Cape York and we took the oportunity to spend our last 3 Australia days in the Sydney Jolly Swagman Backpackers Hostal and, it was perfect. We can recommend the Jolly Swagman Backpackers as a safe, clean room and kitchen, friendly staff, lots of information.... hostal. Gerda + Rolf from Germany

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I stayed at Jolly's for my first 3 nights I arrived in Australia and I loved it - the whole vibe about the place was friendly and chilled, I met some lovely people, the staff were great and the facilities were good. It's about a 15 minute walk into the main city which was great and the hostel does something near enough every night so you're never bored. I'd definitely recommend it and come back when I'm in Sydney!