Jolly Swagman Backpackers Reviews

27 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Staff seemed unwilling to help with booking and helping to book any transport/tours and falsely advertised a number of excursions which they could not fulfill

The staff is amazing! They helped to suggest and book a lot of things to do around Sydney as well as day trips out of Sydney. There are a lot of long term people staying at this hostel.

Hey, thanks for staying with us. We loved having you and your positive happy attitude here in the Hostel!!! You are welcome anytime and we can't wait to see you when you get back!!!

I really enjoyed my stay at jolly swagman especially taking part in organised activities. I found my stay quite comfortable and the meal offers helped keep my budget low. Pros: free breakfast, movies, great location, activities, cheap meal offers usually $5, movies, lots going on, good social atmosphere and nights out. Cons: I could not get wifi even with staff help and the event manager would get other long term guests to takeover the activities with little notice.

Stayed for 5 nights. Good place to say as club see to the station. The rooms weren't great but ok - but the bathroom was quiet grotty. One shower for a floor with like 10 really rooms - 4-6 people to a room. Really it's just ridiculous. Good for a couple nights but that's it.

We got to the hostel at check-in time. We were told our room was getting a deep cleaning after long term guests. It would be about 2 hours until we could return. In the mean time we paid 6 AUS each for our lockers that barely fit our backpacks. When we arrived 2 hours later like they promised, we still had to wait 40 minutes until our room was ready. The staff was friendly but when asked if we could be compensated, the word was unknown. Overall it was a decent hostel. There was hot water good.

• 6th Nov 2015

Things weren't perfect, but it's a hostel, so oh well. I'd say there were definitely too many smokers too close to the entrance, but you see this a lot with "euro kid" backpackers. Still, they shouldn't be crowding the front door. Otherwise a no problem place with helpful staff.

• 2nd Nov 2015

The kitchen area was closed most of the time, I only met one nice person of the staff and that was the day I was leaving. I have no idea if it was only my room or the others too but my room felt so dirty.There was an odd smell coming from the sink area. I became sick after the first night, and the air was as badly. I have a feeling it has to do with mold. This made my overall experience very badly. I'm sorry but close down the place and renovate because this was filthy compared to other hostels.

Good location, pretty dingy place. You can definitely tell you're in a capital by the price of the hostels here compared to other parts of Australia.

Overall nice hostel, DO NOT stay if you have a car... Street parking and a night mare to find a space !! We had to pay 40 dollars a night in a car park where we had to move it before 6am

Thanks so much for staying, regarding the car parking, we don't have a car park, but we do have some secret spots that we can tell you about that are free!! Just wish you had come to see us at reception so we could share those secrets with you!! Next time!

Wi-Fi quality is not good! check-out time is too early (9am).

• 2nd Sep 2015

The staff was very friendly and good. Room and bathroom was clean,tidy and specious. I would definately like to come back again....

• 31st Aug 2015