Jollyboys Backpackers

9.2
Superb 1455 Total Reviews

• Australia, Female, 41+
13th Aug 2017

Excellent location near Livingstone town. Easy for pickups drop offs and Taxi's. Very friendly helpful and polite staff like Isaiah. Front desk tour bookings soooo easy with Stephanie. Good cheap food. Wifi worked most of the time. Only works in common area. We had a private room with ensuite with a great fan and the hottest water in Africa. Highly recommend a stay here.

• USA, Male, 25-30
11th Aug 2017

LOVED that Jollyboys runs on 90% solar energy! A positive role model for the entire tourism and lodging sector in Zambia! Water was still hot and there was plenty of power to charge my laptop and phone. In-room safe provided storage for my valuables. The only thing I would have liked to see is free eco-friendly soap for showering. I had forgotten to bring soap and didn't want to have to go to town to get soap. And for $45 a night, one bar of soap wouldn't be too expensive.

• Germany, Male, 25-30
5th Aug 2017

I had a fantastic time at Jollyboys! The facilities are great to hang out, relax and meet other travellers. However, I have two points for improvement: 1) The wifi is only very slow, especially in the evenings when a lot of people are using it. Sometimes it’s not even possible to logon at all. Furthermore, the signal is rather weak. 2) The basic dorm rooms don’t provide mosquito nets. I don’t think that stop spreading malaria should be something luxurious, exclusive to the better rooms.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, very happy to hear you had a fantastic time at Jollyboys! Yes – the WiFi capacity and capability is often a challenge. Zamtel (the national provider) has had issues with their infrastructure, affecting customers country-wide. We are looking at changing network service providers, but Zambian internet services are still greatly lacking compared with Europe. Mosquito nets – this is something that, historically, backpackers often carried their own. However, traveling trends change and we recognize that. This is something we are looking at in the next batch of renovations. We spray regularly to keep the mozzies at bay, as well having netted windows. Thankfully, Livingstone Council made great efforts to reduce malaria in town, and cases have dropped significantly compared to a few years ago. Wishing you all the best for your future travels, the Jollyboys Team.

• Scotland, Female, 25-30
4th Aug 2017

Great place. For the money it's pretty amazing considering costs in Zambia aren't all that cheap. Choose this place. But, as a warning to others, I did get less than a couple of hours sleep each night due to all night rave going on in adjacent place and a howling dog. Not an issue if you're in the en suite accommodation as has solid walls, but my thatched hut provided no sound insulation. So I would suggest the en suite for that reason alone. Or earplugs even in the private rooms.

Many thanks for your review, you are absolutely correct .. costs of living and doing business is not particularly cheap in Zambia (or a lot of Southern African countries) so we try our best to keep the prices traveler-friendly. Sorry to hear your sleep was disturbed; night noises are part of Livingstone life, especially over a public holiday. However, most are pretty good at turning music off or down at midnight. We are pretty sheltered here, due to our big trees, but occasionally it creeps in. Ear plugs are good idea when traveling, especially if you happen to travel with a snorer! Wishing you all the best for your future travels, the Jollyboys Team.

• Ireland, Female, 18-24
26th Jul 2017

Absolutely excellent! Great location, staff and so helpful with booking activities. Also the criac is great! A must stay in Livingstone!

Thank you for your great review …. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us (especially the criac ;) I will pass on your feedback, everyone will pleased to hear of it. Wishing you all the best for your future travels, The Jollyboys Team.

• Scotland, Female, 41+
20th Jul 2017

I loved staying at Jolly boys backpackers, the dorm accommodation was one of the best I have staying in yet and I have stayed in quite a few backpackers in Africa. Jolly boys is close to all the local shops and a short taxi/free shuttle from the Falls. The security man walked me to the bus station at 5:00hrs when my taxi didn't arrive.

Thank you so much for your great review! I will be sure to let all the departments know of your feedback, they will be very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased to hear our security staff helped you out, guest's well-being and safety is of the upmost importance to us. Wishing you all the best for your future travels. The Jollyboys Team.

• USA, Female, 41+
17th Jul 2017

It was a wonderful place to stay, thanks! Hang on to that Veronica, she's a gem!

Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back! Wishing you all the best for your future travels, the Jollyboys Team.

• South Africa, Female, 41+
11th Jul 2017

A vibrant atmosphere, friendly helpful staff and excellent accommodation

Wow - thank you for your lovely review ... this is exactly what we like to hear from our guest. We wish you all the best for your future travels and look forward to welcoming you back soon. The Jollyboys Team.

• USA, Female, 41+
9th Jul 2017
4.0

While this is budget-friendly option, the lack of hospitality, customer-oriented staff and peaceful night nights' rest is not worth the money saved. It's definitely for the 17-23 year-olds looking for a cheap place to stay with cheap beers & possible hook-ups (I'm guessing that's why there was a jar of condoms on the bar).

Jollyboys will go to great lengths, as best we can, in order to make our guests as happy as possible during they stay with us and Livingstone as well as assisting with travel advice for Zambia and Southern Africa as a whole. Unfortunately, in this case, we were apparently unsuccessful in our endeavors. I am surprised to learn that you did not find our team to be customer-orientated and a lack of hospitality, this is far from our usual feedback and we pride ourselves on having genuinely friendly and helpful staff. We hold regular team meetings about the importance of great customer service and what it means to working in the hospitality industry. I will be sure to schedule another training session for our teams and feedback your review. We absolutely provide budget-friendly food and drinks for our guests who are predominantly backpackers and traveling on a tight budget. There is a multitude of hotels and restaurants in and around Livingstone that cater to a higher-end budget, hopefully you were able to find something that better suited your needs as our Reception team are very happy to give dining options and advice. Having free condoms available on the bar is not an unusual practice in bars in tourism hot-spots, quite frankly it is the responsible thing to do and we will continue to happily provide free condoms. This is not promoting hook-ups, this is being pragmatic and hopefully helping people be responsible whilst enjoying themselves. We wish you all the best for your future travel. The Jollyboys Team.

• England, Mixed Group, 25-30
4th Jul 2017

This is my second stay at Jollyboys and it was great. The hostel is in town, so you'll need to get taxis (or the free shuttle) to/from the falls, but it's definitely the most welcoming backpackers environment in Livingstone. The pool area is really nice to chill out around, it's never been too busy when I've been there, and the food is good and relatively cheap. However some of the morning staff for breakfast were really unhelpful which was a letdown. You can book tours onsite which is great tho

Many thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your stay with us. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our food and found the lodge to be welcoming and relaxing. I am sorry that you found some of the morning staff to be unhelpful, this is very unusual indeed. We rarely get negative feedback about our staff so I am confident in saying this was an unfortunate but isolated incident. We look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay at Jollyboys! Wishing you all the best for your future travels, the Jollyboys Team.