Jollyboys Backpackers Reviews

34 Kanyanta Road, PO Box 61088, Livingstone, Zambia

The lodge was nice and the room was pretty good. Pretty basic amenities in the room for the price. Definitely are nicer rooms around the area for less.

• 11th Jul 2015

Lovely, helpful staff. Very nice place. Would book it again!

This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed. Apart from the tour guys, the staff was terrible. The room was filthy just like the towels and sheets. The wifi is non existent and that's not a Livingstone problem because it works perfectly in all restaurants in town. The bar opens 30min before the start of the tours and can only serve 1 person at time! So no breakfast. There was no POWER EVERYDAY for HOURS and during the whole nights which lead to NO WATER! The entire city had power! Horrible.

It was very loud at night, people yelling and talking directly outside the room until 2am, and again at 6am, so we slept very poorly. The staff opened our door for us when we arrived but didn't tell us where anything was, where to find the bathrooms or showers, etc. The bar and restaurant staff were very good and helpful and we enjoyed the spa treatment we had. I would not recommend this hostel for others, especially after paying $50 for a very small room with shared bathroom, fan did not work.

• 5th Jul 2015

Jollyboys was the ideal place for our group. Our team of nursing students had spent a week in the bush volunteering at rural hospital. So the casual atmosphere, comfortable rooms, and helpful staff made our time in Livingstone a great way to rest up, and see the wonders of the area. We'll be back for sure!

• 4th Jul 2015

Some people got robbed one night when I was there. Apparently they reinforced security after that. Great place though, and cheap. Food a bit pricey but very nice. Watch out, the activities they offer, like anywhere else in Livingstone, can be really expensive. About 160 dollars for rafting, or bungee, etc.

Despite the theft of the suitcase of one of my students, we were very happy at Jollyboys and appreciative of the support and concern shown to resolve the incident (as well as the follow up). Otherwise the marks for "security" and "staff" would have been higher, and we appreciate the wider context of the incident. The assistance and attentiveness of the staff meant that the incident did not detract from the enjoyment of the stay. The time in Livingstone proved an excellent start to our visit.

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • Scotland

We had a great time, the only negative was noise from the railway situated on the other side of town. They had to shunt and sound horns in the early hours for three of the five nights. Its not a bad comment towards jolly boys, the railway must have woken half the town, and there are plenty other accommodation much nearer to the railway.

• 18th Jun 2015
  • South Africa

The staff was amazingly friendly and the food was tasty. If you're in a shared room with people you don't know the doors are left unlocked. If there's a group of you in a dorm they will give you a key. My stay was wonderful, they were helpful even when my group was indecisive and constantly changing bookings! I would happily recommend it to others.

• 13th Jun 2015

Ideal hostel for exploring Victoria Falls. Can organise lots of activities through the hostel. Jollyboys has a small cafe and bar for breakfast and some nice areas around the pool etc. to relax when not out and about.

• 31st May 2015

Very welcoming place to stay. Exceeded expectations.

• 23rd May 2015
  • Couple, 41+

staff were very helpful, but the music at the bar, especially in the evening, was just dreadful. Piped in international blah really detracts. They said only alternative was South African rap, but really, Zambia has great local music, and the whole area does too. Please try to do better. I mean, it was hard to sit and even have a beer. thanks for considering.

none of the receptionists was friendly.

Good place to stay if you want to meet people. Generally nice hostels, offers lots of activities etc. But it feels like it has outgrown itself, a bit impersonal and showers not always clean. I would stay again for a weekend but it's not on my top world hostels list.

brilliant place to stay, so homely i could of permanently lived here!!

Jolly Boys was a great place to stay. I am NOT a backpacker and was, at first, hesitant about staying here since it is known as a backpacker place. I got a cute two bed "cottage/hut" room all to myself. I shared a bathroom, but it felt like I was not sharing as everytime I used it no one else was in any of the other shower stalls. Jolly Boys is a great, fairly priced place to stay. It is close to shops and the bus station. Not sure if ideal for families with small kids though.

• 24th Apr 2015

A great place to stay with varied activities on offer.

• 18th Apr 2015

Thank you, we are happy you've enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to hosting you again. Happy travels

The tours are too expensive, better book via a local agency or tour guide. White staff was very unfriendly and treated the local staff very bad. Local staff was very friendly and nice to meet. Rooms without glass in the windows are a little bit crazy. Liked the location, that's perhaps what makes the price.

• 15th Apr 2015
  • Switzerland

Wonderful hospitality and excellent access to all surrounding sites. Efficient responses to e-mails. need to warn guests that no credit card faciities.

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • South Africa
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry, you weren't warned we don't accept credit cards. We are working on offering this facility in the near future. Hope to have you stay with us again, happy travels.

Excellent, possibly the best hostel I have stayed in. Phenomenal atmosphere, fantastic and helpful staff. Cannot recommend highly enough.