Jollyboys Backpackers Reviews

34 Kanyanta Road, PO Box 61088, Livingstone, Zambia

Jolly Boys is an outstanding hostel, more like a little boutique hotel than a hostel! Everything is kept in tip-top shape and it's very attractive - great ambience. Staff are very friendly and helpful. One pointed out to me that I would be flying out the next day from the OTHER airport across the border in Victoria Falls, NOT the airport in Livingstone. (I hadn't thought about there being 2 different airports so close together and might have missed my flight!) THANKS!!!

The self-catered kitchen could use a few more utensils.

• 19th Aug 2015

I had a fantastic stay. I went on my own but made friends there. The staff were so helpful and lovely, in particular Kim and Mark, thanks guys!! The only qualm i have is that the menu could have a little more variety in hot meals (a little like Lusaka Back Packers, and to have chips with burgers) and maybe hot chocolate (Milo) added to the drinks menu. I would definitely stay there again in I ever went back to Livingstone in the future!! I am a very happy customer! Thank you

• 16th Aug 2015

I've stayed at Jolly Boys Backpackers a number of times, but his trip was unsatisfactory. The mattresses are too old, could feel the palette frame underneath and a dip in the middle made it difficult to get comfortable with 2 people in bed. air conditioner remote was lost, hot even though there was a ceiling fan. mosquito nets too small for the bed and had holes. The sink had a slow drain. Staff was helpful, brought a floor fan. but manager was unavailable at check out.

• 14th Aug 2015

Great vibe, easy to book tours through, good chill area and pool!

• 11th Aug 2015

This hostel was so nice! The comforters were amazing, the showers were nice and they have a great laundry area to do your own laundry. The staff is very friendly and willing to give great suggestions on trips and restaurants.

• 11th Aug 2015

Best hostel I have ever been in.

• 11th Aug 2015

We enjoyed our stay very much! Livingstone Jollyboys Backpackers was clean and centrally located. The staff was very helpful, service was excellent. They were very prompt in their email correspondence. The staff, especially Kim, was extremely helpful in securing reservations for us for a day safari at Chobe National Park in Botswana and a walking safari in Mose-oa-Tunya Park. Both expeditions were terrific! We definitely recommend and would stay here again if we ever get back to Livingstone.

• 9th Aug 2015

Fabulous hostel and friendly staff that help to organise tours.

Good party place, although a bit pricy.

Internet is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT services that a hostel can provide, as you have professionals, students, volunteers, etc depending on communication capability. Internet being down during outage was terrible, and the speed of the connection was horrendous the entire stay. This is worth spending money on (you can cut costs elsewhere :-)). Thank you! Love the staff and facilities!

After all the great reviews we have to admit that we were a bit disappointed. The room was nice, but the kitchen was horrifyingly dirty (with cockroaches crawling on the walls) and lacked basic cutlery, crockery and equipment - with only 1 fork, 2 mugs and 2 knives in a very busy hostel (bring your own equipment if you'll be cooking). Some of the staff were very nice (Clive, the driver, was brilliant), but we felt a bit unwelcome once at the hostel; this definitely caters more to big groups.

The rooms are lovely, but the ant problem in the shared showers is disgusting!

The lodge was nice and the room was pretty good. Pretty basic amenities in the room for the price. Definitely are nicer rooms around the area for less.

• 11th Jul 2015

Lovely, helpful staff. Very nice place. Would book it again!

This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed. Apart from the tour guys, the staff was terrible. The room was filthy just like the towels and sheets. The wifi is non existent and that's not a Livingstone problem because it works perfectly in all restaurants in town. The bar opens 30min before the start of the tours and can only serve 1 person at time! So no breakfast. There was no POWER EVERYDAY for HOURS and during the whole nights which lead to NO WATER! The entire city had power! Horrible.

It was very loud at night, people yelling and talking directly outside the room until 2am, and again at 6am, so we slept very poorly. The staff opened our door for us when we arrived but didn't tell us where anything was, where to find the bathrooms or showers, etc. The bar and restaurant staff were very good and helpful and we enjoyed the spa treatment we had. I would not recommend this hostel for others, especially after paying $50 for a very small room with shared bathroom, fan did not work.

• 5th Jul 2015

Jollyboys was the ideal place for our group. Our team of nursing students had spent a week in the bush volunteering at rural hospital. So the casual atmosphere, comfortable rooms, and helpful staff made our time in Livingstone a great way to rest up, and see the wonders of the area. We'll be back for sure!

• 4th Jul 2015

Some people got robbed one night when I was there. Apparently they reinforced security after that. Great place though, and cheap. Food a bit pricey but very nice. Watch out, the activities they offer, like anywhere else in Livingstone, can be really expensive. About 160 dollars for rafting, or bungee, etc.

Despite the theft of the suitcase of one of my students, we were very happy at Jollyboys and appreciative of the support and concern shown to resolve the incident (as well as the follow up). Otherwise the marks for "security" and "staff" would have been higher, and we appreciate the wider context of the incident. The assistance and attentiveness of the staff meant that the incident did not detract from the enjoyment of the stay. The time in Livingstone proved an excellent start to our visit.

• 3rd Jul 2015