Jollyboys Backpackers Reviews

34 Kanyanta Road, PO Box 61088, Livingstone, Zambia

The best hostel i've ever stayed. The common area is very good, has ample and cozy space, not to mention the pool and the bar. The only problem is that the bar closes at 11pm, and the kitchen is not that well equipped, i saw just one knife during the time i spent there! Stayed in a 8 bed dorm and the room was quite large. Very clean as safe. No free wifi.

• 29th Jan 2014

I found the whole place verygood and the staff very friendly and helpful. The pool could have been cleaner. The only issue with the communual kitchen was that there seemed to be no organisation in the fridge, no individual compartments divisions causing an issue when searching for your food, displacing and moving other peoples food.

• 19th Jan 2014
  • Couple, 41+

What a fantastic stay! Excellent for all points. We met a lot of new friends, got great help from the staff who were very friendly and had comfortable accommodation. Great pool/bar/eating area. Could think of nowhere better to stay in Livingstone.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • South Africa

It was amazing hosting you! Thank you so much for taking some time to review your stay with us! We hope to host you in future, and we wish you happy travels!

Stayed two nights , met lots of interesting helpful people , very good base for all ages thanks a lot

It was great hosting you! Thank you for taking some time to review your stay with us. We wish you happy travels and looking forward to your future stay!

amazing place!!, the reception staff, manager and director are very nice and helpful

Thank you so much for taking your time to review your experience of your stay with us! It was great showing you around! We wish you happy travels and looking forward to your future stay!

The staff at the reception is not very friendly nor helpfull. On the other hand the staff at the bar, the guards and the taxidrivers are very friendly.

• 30th Dec 2013

Our stay was great, but each time we talked to a staff member about upcoming activities (what was running, what we'd have to book ahead of time, whether we could pay with a card, etc), we got a different response.

Nice place to stay , staff really helpful and friendly some of the locks on the doors need replacing is my only criticism but the hostel itself remained safe and fun place to stay and hang out at. They have a really nice chill out area and a nice bar area as well.

The en-suite rooms in the back (Buffalo etc) are excellently situated as the noise from the bar area do not reach there. The staff is very friendly in general. To get breakfast is a bit slow, especially if you want to join the Chobe safari. I really wish that there could be a bit of flexibility to start earlier preparing breakfast for those who have tried to book an early breakfast the night before.

• 28th Dec 2013
  • Finland

We loved the atmosphere and for young travelers who are keen on meeting new people it is the perfect place. Maybe consider payment by eft or credit card. It was a bit inconvenient to find out that only cash payments for the stay are accepted, especially with limited Atms in the area.

Great staff, great Atmosphere. Thats the place to be if you're in Livingstone.

The staff met my expectations, and the facilities were great! The shared bathrooms were convenient and plentiful, and the hang-out area was very relaxing. One stop shopping with the tours offered right beside the reception, and the food was also really good.

• 18th Dec 2013

Generally Jollyboys is perfect place to stay but there are a few issues that irritated me. The charge of 10k (USD 2) for 1 hour is really a rip off. Almost every other hostel provides this service FOC and also on too many occasions it is dreadfully slow and a complete waste of money. The self catering kitchen is is much need of attention as it has very poor cooking appliances and equipment for so many,. Finally, there are no mosquito nets in the dorms in an area where these bugs are prevalent.

• 16th Dec 2013

Main reason for my reserved statement is the at times unbearable noise level. Dorms are situated right next to the bar area with no wall etc. screening you from the hurly burly of people partying. Not recommended if you wanna have a bit of a rest after a long day/night travelling coming from either Windhoek or Lusaka. Showers were the worst I've seen in a backpacker. No warm/hot water during the day and flow a mere trickle. Get this right, people! Staff friendly & helpful.

• 13th Dec 2013

You can only have a wonderful time at Jollyboys! I loved it and the stay was one of the best times in my life.

This is a great hostel to meet people, organise trips (helped by the staff, who are friendly) and have fun. It is big with plenty of people coming through, although this can also mean you might need earplugs if sleeping in one of the dorms (nothing more than any other big hostel though). I also stayed in a private double for two nights, which was an absolute pleasure (albeit at a cost!). You have to pay for wifi though, which in this day and age is not really acceptable for a hostel.

Where to start. Room was Tiny! the ammount of luggage the other 3 people in my room had took up literally the whole floor space, and stuff all over my bed when i got there, one powerpoint, taken up by the worlds smallest fan, which had no affect, upgraded to a private room, which would of been the only one that didnt have aircon. For the price you pay for that place, the rooms should at least have decent cooling to them. Had to pay for the wifi. staff were rude.

Should have spoken to the staff there and then but I take the opportunity now anyway. Shower head half blicked, water splashing in all direction, the same in the "public" facilities, wash basin blocked, bulb outside door broken, this was in room "Buffalo". Staff very friendly and acting promptly when you have questions or problems.

Thank you for taking some time to review your stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience with bathroom and the lighting. Your review has helped us improve on checking on things that need maintenance. Looking forward to your future stay and serving you better! Happy Travels!

Go here, beautiful, chilled and staff are very helpful and welcoming. If I'm lucky enough to go Zambia again I would stay at the Jollyboys.

• 30th Nov 2013

Every thing is great; I was lucky to get a perfectly right answer to my needs. Quietness and cleanliness. The food was good and I would have fainted with pleasure at the sundae. I did not try the swimming pool; but had access to the net and shop tfor a few presents-at good price and with a nice and patient person to sell and listen to what I wished. At the reception, organization of trips was mostly & appreciated on arrival although at tim a bit light. Good altogether.

• 20th Nov 2013