Journeys Brighton Hostel Reviews

33 Richmond Place, Brighton, Brighton, England

Had a pleasant stay for a very good price.

• 28th Aug 2015

We were greeted by Darren who is a very friendly guy. Hostelworld.com managed to cancel our whole booking instead of the 1 day we had cancelled. Luckily I had my reference number showing my changed booking and Darren bent over backwards to help us. We ended up with an upgrade on a Saturday night! The place is informal...has a cheap late bar and a pool table. Minor grumbles such as wet bathrooms and lack of toilet paper, but it wouldn't put me off staying again.

• 8th Aug 2015
  • All Female Group, 41+

We chose this hostel to stay in for one night in Brighton and it was good or that. Wouldn't want to stay longer though. Showers were pretty bad, I tried to be as fast as possible to get out. Our door could be pushed open even if we closed it, so security wise - not great. Breakfast included was alright, nothing special. Location was great! Good for one night.

We stayed for two nights in the double room. The staff were rude and uninterested. No one seemed to care that we were there. There was no curtain in our room. The "continental breakfast" was a jar of mixed fruit jam and a tub of sunflower spread and some holey thin sliced bread on a very dirty table. I picked up two brokem mugs and a chipped plate. The common room was filthy and eating breakfast there was uncomfortable. When we checked out the woman at reception said "nothing special to do".

• 5th Aug 2015

The hostel was dirty, there was only little place to put the luggage in the room and the toilets and showers were really unpleasant. The breakfast was nothing else than some toast or cornflakes, for coffee and tea you have to pay. And you need to wash the used dishes yourself! And And there are only three tables to sit and eat on, which are in the common room/entrance room so I felt a bit uncomfortable. I wouldn't go there again! Much too expensive for what you get!

• 18th Jul 2015
  • Switzerland

Despite the reviews , we decided to stay anyway because we thought maybe people were being overly negative, but to be honest it is really gross. There was pubic hair in the shower where someone had shaved, most of the shower doors on our floor were broken and the bathrooms were generally pretty grim, worse than standard expectations of a hostel. The staff were not friendly or helpful and our room smelt like feet - I don't know if it was ever cleaned!! It is overpriced considering the conditions

• 11th Jul 2015

Dirty. Too many people crammed into too small a space. Unfriendly staff. My sunglasses were stolen from the bar when only the manager and his friends were drinking there.

The 18 dorm room was tiny with no main lights and little ventilation and so was very hot. It was crammed with very rude people who decided to be on the phone at 5 in the morning loudly. The bathroom light did not work and kept flashing and had obviously not been cleaned in a while. The stay was horrendous and left after one night. Would not recommend this place at all. I've stayed in many hostels and this was the worst one. Staff were not helpful and did not feel welcome.

The description on the website was a load of lies. Yes, the staff were friendly, but the place was disgusting. My room smelt like old socks and the showers and toilets were so dirty and uncleaned that the germs in there must be unbelievable. There seemed to be so many staff there yet all they seemed to do was hang around and chat or occasionally clean the common room (which was clean anyway). The place would be much better if the staff stopped lazing around and cleaned the place up.

• 27th May 2015

Journey's had some great staff however the upstairs shower was gross on arrival with a wet floor and blocked drain. People were using the sanitary bin as a bin and thus it needed to be emptied, not the hostels fault but annoying. The downstairs showers were much better but I believe providing a mop for people to use would be beneficial in keeping it in nicer condition. Toilets and sheets were very nice. All this being said, I would stay there again. Wish I'd known about the lockers earlier.

The staff is always available, but the hostel could get some more deep cleaning.

• 13th May 2015
  • Poland

The shower facilities are appalling. Water swimming all over the bathroom floor and the cubicle itself overflowing due to a blocked plug hole. Also not very clean as there was knots of hair all over the place.

• 28th Mar 2015

I didn't like bed at the bottom and the hostel can't change it to me to get top bed i have been dispointed no breakfast late i were late due to long night

• 28th Mar 2015