Journeys King's Cross Hostel Reviews

54-58 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London, England

I was too old for this really and need my own room!! But met lovely folk and really liked dvd living room area. Was sorry not stay one more nite as megabus back was awful but nice to have own bed. Thanks guys nice Dutch guys after Wet Wet Wet at Koko and nice to see fellow Scot xBreakfast quite good and good value for money in London as never did backpack thing when in 20s

• 20th May 2015
  • Scotland

An average hostel with a great location.

• 12th May 2015
  • Portugal

The hostel has a great location, other than that don't expect much. The 9 bed dorm is really only big enough for 2 sets of bunks but they have crammed a third in and sacrificed room to move. The breakfast was OK. The shower was terrible, very low, cold and no pressure - anyone over 170cm will have issues, not just with the shower as there are low ceilings everywhere. To top it off the floor was dirty and slimey. I do not recommend staying here.

We're sorry to hear such negative comments. Unfortunately due to the size of our hostel (as well as other buildings in such a central location), there's not much we can do about the issue of space - we try to do our best with the space we have! The water temperature has been tweaked since you were last here, the pressure and temp can dip at peak times though, this is normal. Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking to improve our hostel!

This hostel is run down, and feels dirty. The 9 bed room should be at most a 6 bed room, they get 9 by stacking 3 high, but the space is so small they can't install the ladders correctly and those that are there cross each other causing a serious hazard in the dark. As a result of the ridiculous density of sleeping, the common facilities are overcrowded and severely damaged from overuse. Self-run laundry will cost 7 GBP for a load (soap/wash/dry), but only if you can fight off the other guests.

Dear Guest, We sorry to hear that the hostel 'feels dirty' to you. We have a rigorous daily cleaning schedule as well as regular deep cleaning of certain areas. Nevertheless, we are always trying to make the hostel cleaner! Unfortunately due to the size of the hostel (and generally the limited space in buildings of such a central location), there's not much we can do about the space issue, we do our best with the space we have! Thanks for your feedback :)

Very nice hostel good location and staff friendly.

• 18th Apr 2015

Stayed at this hostel for the price but was definitely not worth it, we cut our stay short and went to a different hostel. The whole place is quite smelly and the room I stayed in was a mess although it was nice to have curtains on the beds. The bathrooms were tiny and not cleaned often enough. The staff was friendly but the guests were not very sociable. Paying a little extra for a nicer hostel is definitely worth it.

It was a decent hostel, not the best I've stayed in but not the worst either. Very average.

Dear Guest, We're aiming to be way above average! Some constructive feedback would be great, we're constantly looking to improve :)

The location is very good, close to King's cross Station and close to center of London. The Facilites (shower and toilet) are not perfect, mixed toilet and mixed shower, shower a bit small but the price was very cheap. Kitchen very small, the breakfast was all right (Cereal, milk, toast, orange juice...).

I lost my hat the first full day I was at the hostel, and I thought since there are so many people coming in and out over the course of the weekend, that I'd never see it again. I asked that night if anyone had seen it, and they hadn't. I checked the next night, just in case, and my hat had turned up. =] It sounds like something very small, but the attitudes of all the employees that I spoke with were great. Thanks!

• 19th Mar 2015

Hi, thanks for leaving us such a good review. We're really pleased we found your hat!

The location is incredible, very close to the kings cross station. The staff very friendly and open, especially the guy who greeted me and my friend. The facilities were OK, some more single sex toilets would have been nice. Security wise they changed the door password everyday and there is no pub closeby so there is no danger at all (drunk people etc). Its also locate in a very quiet area away from incredibly busy bars/pubs, so if you're tired you will have no trouble resting.

• 7th Mar 2015
  • Greece

Great atmosphere really easy to meet people. Good option for solo travelers

This hostel was just okay. When I looked at the pictures, it seemed like a very nice spacious hostel but it's actually pretty small and cramped, although everything is like that in London! The rooms were decent. They were clean but very small and had little air circulation. The kitchen was also quite small but had all the necessary equipment. The breakfast was very basic but still good and FREE which was great!!

Very friendly hostel,I always come back to it. And I always notice sth new (the solution for cold milk in the morning is fantastic;similarly a huge tube map in the common room). Nice text around in the bathroom and kitchen (to encourage people to keep it clean :). The only drawback: the standard internet does not work(any more)! Once you know it,you can arrange for alternatives (go to Starbucks, or prepare all your online to-do's well beforehand); yet I did not know.try+error took so much time

Hi Anna - we had big problems with our ISP at the beginning of the year. You'll be happy to know that we have free wifi Internet working reliably throughout the building these days. We're glad you like the hostel and hope we'll see you again!

To spend a cheap night somewhere, the hostel is okay. The breakfast is acceptable, the cleanliness too, and those who like to spend the evening with other travelers in stuffy common rooms, get their money's worth. But the dorms are definitely too small and with a middle sized suitcase you're gonna have problems. Also, one guy was stolen his laptop while being outside his dorm for a few minutes, but I guess this can happen in any dorm ...

• 8th Jan 2015

The dorms are very cramped with very little space to store your luggage, especially in the 12 person dorms. You do get a privacy curtain and your own light/outlets which is a small blessing. Wifi works fine in the rooms. Brekky is basic. People are generally cool. The main issue I have with Journeys is that they have a serious theft problem, at a rate of at least one item (laptop, coats, passports, iPads) per day while I was there and I never saw police called about it. Stay at your own risk.

Hi We advise our customers never to leave valuable items unattended in shared accommodation anywhere in the world. Particularly in a big, expensive city like London, the risk is simply too high. We provide lockers for a nominal fee and a deposit for the key in order to give our customers somewhere safe to leave valuables. When thefts are reported we do help customers to contact the police, although officers will not attend the site unless there is a crime in progress.

Location is good for London tour and staffs are most of time kind. but they need to consider clean bed cover.

Good facilities, staff were very helpful, though no one was at the desk when I needed to check out early in the morning. Each bed has its own light and powerpoint, but neither of mine worked. Also don't recommend the 6 bed dorm on the top floor, we were lucky to just have three in the room, I can't imagine 6 people with 6 bags possibly fitting in that room, especially in summer!