Journeys King's Cross Hostel Reviews

54-58 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London, England

Checked in quite late to the hostel and found that someone had their stuff in my assigned bed. I went to tell reception that I would be happy to swap beds, just in case. The receptionist said that that would not be possible, and I had to change the bed sheets on my bed myself as well as the other bed that was free. Was quite scared that someone would be getting in bed with me that night! Breakfast was basic - toast and cereal. Couldn't find the showers. Good location and security. Wifi was poor.

Kitchen space is not big enough, I couldn't find a proper seat, when I had my breakfast. The height of space of bed in the middle layer of the bunk bed was too narrow. I couldn't stretch my back when I sat on my bed then.

this hostel is basic and cramped, with an atmosphere that tends too lend itself too larger hostels were it can at times be harder too meet people.. but! it is cheap, you get a good breakfast for the price you pay and it is clean and secure.. as a place too stay while in transit it was perfect.. people on here complaining about the showers are idiots, if you cant figure out how too use a shower and you burn yourself in the process then you deserve too be burnt..

• 8th Jul 2014

Stayed in a 17-bed dorm. The room was surprisingly spacious and airy, the bedlinen clean, the bunk bed relatively comfortable. The shared bathroom looked clean; however, there were only three sinks so it got crowded fast. The complimentary breakfast was a nice touch even if it was nothing fancy (a selection of cereals, toast, a range of jams, peanut butter, tea/ coffee). The staff were great: they promptly replied to my mail, arranged to keep a low bunk bed for me, and were polite and friendly.

This is the kind of hostel you stay at because everything else is booked out and you need to get to the station early. You really don't want to spend more time here than completely necessary. Atmosphere was unfriendly and facilities hard to navigate/ couldn't even get into the bed. You couldn't pay me to stay here again

17 Bed Mixed Dorm is not that a big room for 17 people staying there. There is no place for luggage, so everything was just scattered all over the floor. Curtains for each bed is a really nice idea, thanks for that! Though showers can have a bit of refurbishing.

• 5th Jul 2014
  • Estonia

Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback, it helps us improve! We are located in central London therefore we have to make the most of the little space we have. We are working on luggage storage at the moment and showers are also being refurbished. We hope you enjoyed your stay and will consider us on your next trip to London!

Filthy and too many people crammed in the rather smallish rooms. Never going to come back,never going to recommend it. And the water was really hot during the day -as sone else pointed out in their feedback,so unable to wash hair. But when I went to take a shower in the morning the water was freezing cold, it took long minutes for it to warm up.POOR

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Hungary

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comment, it is very important to us. We are located in central area and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we do have to make the most of the little space we have. Shower temperature depends on water usage at the moment and we are working on improving it as soon as possible. We hope you did enjoy your visit to London!

Location is very good. It is only one bad thing that a pay locker.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comment, we value it a lot. We are in one of the most central areas in London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we do have a small fee for a private security locker. We also have a free storage room which is available prior check-in and during your stay. We hope you enjoyed your visit and you will consider us for your next trip to London!

Overall, the staff are nice and the beds are clean.The disadvantage is that the showers can hardly control temperature and lack eater easily, especially when a grouo of people using them. Also, the electric socket along my and my friends' bedside never work and cannot be repaired, we need to charge in the kitchen. But the location is very close to the King Cross Station and excellent.

The showers were absolutely disgusting, the location was great, the hostel was average.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback, we value it a lot. We have cleaning staff on site for the most time of the day and they do their best in order to keep areas clean. We hope you did enjoy your stay and you will think of us again when you visit London next time!

Rooms are extremely small and get hot pretty fast. Didn't look into the reviews before booking last-minute, so in the end its my fault. I also noticed that King's Cross likes to upcharge for small things such as: leaving a dirty plate in the sink, getting charged for a whole day if not checked out by 10:00 am. While I do understand their reasoning behind the upcharging I noticed that other hostels aren't so sensitive to such matter.

Dear guest, Thank you for your opinion, it lets us improve. We are in one of the most central areas in London and we have to make the most of the little space we have in order to keep prices competitive. We prefer to have control of what is happening in the hostel in order to avoid any problems. We hope you did enjoy your stay!

Everything was fine: bedrooms, kitchen, breakfast, wi-fi, nice staff, etc., I really liked it! The only thing I didn't really like was that when I had to extend my stay (obviously I had to move to another room because of the short notice, but that wasn't the problem), the guy at the reception explained to me that prices vary depending on availability, which I can understand: however, I think 26£ for a bed in a small and crowded 12-bed mixed (read: male) dorm is just too much and not really fair.

Cold showers some mornings

Good location - 1 street away from Kings Cross, cheap-ish prices. Privacy screens, power sockets and lights. Staff are friendly and no cash deposit to pay. Rooms do feel over crowded.

Everything is OK with this hostel except blankets! I had a feeling that my blanket was made of polyethilene, cause it rustled like a plastic bag and I sweated the whole night like a cucumber in a supermarket package! I could never think that blanket can be such an irritating thing, but this hostel really surprised me with that! I felt sorry not to have my sleeping bag.

I was really disappointed when I saw my room...

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Belgium

We are sorry to read we did not meet your expectations, however there are plenty of pictures and details on the web that will give an idea about the rooms and the hostel.

The hostel was shamelessly expensive compared to the cleanliness and to the state of 12 person mixed dorms or the 2 persons' private room. Shared toilets didn't work and the shower was so dirty we coudn't use it. I will definitely not recommend, the worst experience in my life. I don't mind if the premises are not that good but when it's dirty it's bad. This place was.

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Finland

We are sorry you had a bad experience. We have cleaners on duty every day and they try their best to keep the hostel as clean as possible during their working hours. They also cannot be on duty 24h/day so it is up to our guests to try and maintain the hostel as clean as possible.

The rooms are definitively too small, they smell like dust and the windows do not close. Furthermore, the whole hostel lacks in cleanliness, hygiene and friendliness. Value for money= 0. Worst place I have stayed at! DON'T GO THERE!!!!

• 21st Mar 2014

We are sorry to read that you had an unpleasant stay. Our hostel is located in central London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we need to make the most of the little space that we have. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. We would like to have you again staying with us on your next visit to London. Journeys Kings Cross Staff

Atmosphere was slightly lacking, but possibly just because of the time we went. There was one incredibly nice and welcoming male staff member (quite tall and spoke Italian - as well as English, of course) who greeted my friend and I on our arrival, gave us all the information we needed and some great advice about the area and things to do, however the other staff we encountered, for example when checking out the next day were quite cold and unhelpful. Bathrooms and security verging on poor.

Our hostel is located in central London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we need to make the most of the little space that we have. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. JKC Staff.

The hostel was in a convenient location for catching an international train but thats about the only positive. One major negative was the outside courtyard that joined to the kitchen area was a favourite area for smokers and with the door being kept open it resulted in the kitchen and our dorm (room 1) stinking of smoke. Most of the hostel was booked out by an educational group that were very loud untill late at night and took up most of the common areas.

Our hostel is located in central London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we need to make the most of the little space that we have. Our shift managers always try to keep the noise level to a minimum but of course it is up to our guests to be considerate about other guest's rest. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. Journeys Kings Cross Staff