Journeys King's Cross Hostel Reviews

54-58 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London, England

A few unsavoury characters staying here made me feel uncomfortable. Staff seemed unfriendly and looked scruffy, not a good first impression. Too hot in all the rooms especially the common room and kitchen The luggage room is accessible by anyone and dorms don't have lockers so didn't feel very secure Worse of all the rooms are visible from street level or from The courtyard, Overall I wouldn't recommend this hostel . Location is the only thing going right for them .

• 30th Jun 2015

We've been telling everyone about journeys and highly recommending it to anybody we meet who may be travelling to London.

• 26th Jun 2015

Wifi in room was very good, plug sockets and reading lights in each bed space is great! Friendly cat, small room is right by the road so a bit noisy but overall a good experience.

The only negative was that the rooms and public areas were too hot. There was no air circulation. Which made ot feel quite stuffy. Other than that it was a fantastic place to stay.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • Wales
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Too noisy. I could hear people slaming doors all night.

Soap holders in the shower would be really nice. I had a bar of soap with me so it got a bit challenging:)

• 16th Jun 2015
  • Finland

Very close to King's Cross Station. Staffs were friendly and helpful all the time. Room of twelves people was too small but worth the price you paid for a stay in London Central area.

Loved that the female dorms had their own floor but the bathroom was so small!

Super hot in the room and shower area - maybe get more fans? I felt it was very cramped and a lot smaller than hostels I have been too. I feel like there were too many beds in a room that it felt quite claustrophobic. I love the hostel cat!!! Generally the sweetest wee thing ever! :) Big up to the guy with long hair on the desk who was really friendly and helpful. Thanks.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are pressed for space here, as we're in an old building right in the centre of London - we try to do our best with the space we've got. We're glad you like Charlie, our resident cat and best staff member, and it's good to hear that our other staff were pleasant and helpful too. If you ever come back to London, it would be our pleasure to accommodate you again.

Very, very nice staff. Rooms were small and hot but okay to sleep in for a night. The hostel itself looks nice and it's close to King's Cross, which comes in handy.

Thanks for leaving us your review. We're sorry that you found the room too hot - our receptionists can control the heating and will be more than happy to help if you let us know it's getting too hot in your room, and we can also open the windows up for you. We're glad you liked the staff and that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future.

I got put-off completely when I entered the 12 bed room that was allocated which was messy. There was a girl sleeping with a guy just under my bed, who dressed up and left. I thought I entered a brothel! My bed was used by someone and messy. Don't get me wrong, but I have stayed in a similar hostel in Frankfurt and it was miles better. In fact I was so put off that I had to forfeit the GBP of 42 that I payed! I did go to the reception and ask for another room but they couldn't.

• 23rd May 2015
  • Portugal

Dear guest, thank you for your time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused on your arrival. It is strictly forbidden to bring any guests to the rooms and there is a charge for doing that. We were not able to allocate you into another room as the hostel was fully booked on that day. We would recommend staying in a smaller dorm or in a private room if you wget more privacy on your next stay. Journeys hostel

I was too old for this really and need my own room!! But met lovely folk and really liked dvd living room area. Was sorry not stay one more nite as megabus back was awful but nice to have own bed. Thanks guys nice Dutch guys after Wet Wet Wet at Koko and nice to see fellow Scot xBreakfast quite good and good value for money in London as never did backpack thing when in 20s

• 20th May 2015
  • Scotland

An average hostel with a great location.

• 12th May 2015
  • Portugal

The hostel has a great location, other than that don't expect much. The 9 bed dorm is really only big enough for 2 sets of bunks but they have crammed a third in and sacrificed room to move. The breakfast was OK. The shower was terrible, very low, cold and no pressure - anyone over 170cm will have issues, not just with the shower as there are low ceilings everywhere. To top it off the floor was dirty and slimey. I do not recommend staying here.

We're sorry to hear such negative comments. Unfortunately due to the size of our hostel (as well as other buildings in such a central location), there's not much we can do about the issue of space - we try to do our best with the space we have! The water temperature has been tweaked since you were last here, the pressure and temp can dip at peak times though, this is normal. Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking to improve our hostel!

This hostel is run down, and feels dirty. The 9 bed room should be at most a 6 bed room, they get 9 by stacking 3 high, but the space is so small they can't install the ladders correctly and those that are there cross each other causing a serious hazard in the dark. As a result of the ridiculous density of sleeping, the common facilities are overcrowded and severely damaged from overuse. Self-run laundry will cost 7 GBP for a load (soap/wash/dry), but only if you can fight off the other guests.

Dear Guest, We sorry to hear that the hostel 'feels dirty' to you. We have a rigorous daily cleaning schedule as well as regular deep cleaning of certain areas. Nevertheless, we are always trying to make the hostel cleaner! Unfortunately due to the size of the hostel (and generally the limited space in buildings of such a central location), there's not much we can do about the space issue, we do our best with the space we have! Thanks for your feedback :)

Very nice hostel good location and staff friendly.

• 18th Apr 2015

I had a three day reservation and I came back to the hostel to sleep on the second night and my stuff was gone: my duffle bag, my phone charger, etc. and my bed had been stripped. I went to the reception to see if they had seen my stuff. He had apparently put me in the wrong bed so the hostel packed up my stuff and put it behind the front desk. He was apologetic but his only excuse was "this happens sometimes". This shouldn't happen ever! It made me feel uncomfortable for the rest of my time.

Stayed at this hostel for the price but was definitely not worth it, we cut our stay short and went to a different hostel. The whole place is quite smelly and the room I stayed in was a mess although it was nice to have curtains on the beds. The bathrooms were tiny and not cleaned often enough. The staff was friendly but the guests were not very sociable. Paying a little extra for a nicer hostel is definitely worth it.

It was a decent hostel, not the best I've stayed in but not the worst either. Very average.

Dear Guest, We're aiming to be way above average! Some constructive feedback would be great, we're constantly looking to improve :)

The location is very good, close to King's cross Station and close to center of London. The Facilites (shower and toilet) are not perfect, mixed toilet and mixed shower, shower a bit small but the price was very cheap. Kitchen very small, the breakfast was all right (Cereal, milk, toast, orange juice...).