Journeys King's Cross Hostel Reviews

54-58 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London, England

Not as close on the train as originally thought, checkin took quite long, halls very cramped to get up down stairs with luggage. When we checked into our room here was an old man staying (thought there was age 35 max) and he snored like a train all night

Besides being reasonably cramped, it has decent security, great party atmosphere and a friendly cat as well as friendly and knowledgeable staff

I stayed in MANY hostels over the past 11 weeks and this was definitely a disappointing experience. It was on a very busy (LOUD) street that made sleeping (even with earplugs) a challenge. The staff as always friendly but not terribly knowledgable,

Very convenient! I had no trouble getting anywhere in the city from the hostel via the tube or bus. The only thing I'd suggest is limiting large groups. There was a large group of young teens -- they made it hard for other hostel guests to mingle as the hostel was too small to accomodate large groups congregating in the two commons areas (the kitchen and tv room). And as the teenagers didn't really have night time activities, they'd congregate in packs in these common areas.

After staying at several hostels after staying at Journeys Kings Cross and they were all by far better than this one. Not consistent when staff tried to enforce policies, over priced and not kept up very well.

• 2nd Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

A few unsavoury characters staying here made me feel uncomfortable. Staff seemed unfriendly and looked scruffy, not a good first impression. Too hot in all the rooms especially the common room and kitchen The luggage room is accessible by anyone and dorms don't have lockers so didn't feel very secure Worse of all the rooms are visible from street level or from The courtyard, Overall I wouldn't recommend this hostel . Location is the only thing going right for them .

• 30th Jun 2015

I enjoyed my stay although we were put in rooms on different floors. Finding out after that that we had an empty room next to us for the first night. People who book rooms together may want to be nearer each other. The pay for wifi didn't work half way through our stay but the member of staff refunded me my money for it. Very kind he was too. The cat was gorgeous and gave the place a homely feel.

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Wales

Average hostel. They do have blackout curtains, and an outlet for every bed, which is nice. Beds are stacked three on top of each other, so it's pretty cramped, and there's no air conditioning but there are fans. It's really close to the King's Cross station--take advantage of this and you can go anywhere in London easily. I accidentally booked a mixed room instead of a female and the staff were wonderful about switching me to a female room except for one fully-booked night.

We've been telling everyone about journeys and highly recommending it to anybody we meet who may be travelling to London.

• 26th Jun 2015

Poorly constructed 3 tiered beds with metal pipe ladders, hurts going up and down. Plugs and night light available next to every bed but again, poorly constructed. 12 beds shoved into a tiny room. Blinds could not be adjusted, streets get rowdy at night so bring ear plugs. Wifi available in rooms. Breakfast of toast and jams, juice and hot beverages are sufficient. No lockers available in rooms, you can rent them at robbery rates. Strange atmosphere and crowd. Would not stay here again.

Wifi in room was very good, plug sockets and reading lights in each bed space is great! Friendly cat, small room is right by the road so a bit noisy but overall a good experience.

The only negative was that the rooms and public areas were too hot. There was no air circulation. Which made ot feel quite stuffy. Other than that it was a fantastic place to stay.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • Wales
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Too noisy. I could hear people slaming doors all night.

We're sorry to hear this. All the doors are fitted with a system that should dampen door slamming. We will look at further measures we can take, as we are always looking to improve!

Refused to use showers, too small and no where to put belongings whilst in the shower

Soap holders in the shower would be really nice. I had a bar of soap with me so it got a bit challenging:)

• 16th Jun 2015
  • Finland

Very close to King's Cross Station. Staffs were friendly and helpful all the time. Room of twelves people was too small but worth the price you paid for a stay in London Central area.

Loved that the female dorms had their own floor but the bathroom was so small!

Unfortunately there’s not much we can do about the size, the building is quite old, which restricts how much we can expand. We try to utilize the space we have as efficiently as we can. We hope to see you again soon.

Super hot in the room and shower area - maybe get more fans? I felt it was very cramped and a lot smaller than hostels I have been too. I feel like there were too many beds in a room that it felt quite claustrophobic. I love the hostel cat!!! Generally the sweetest wee thing ever! :) Big up to the guy with long hair on the desk who was really friendly and helpful. Thanks.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are pressed for space here, as we're in an old building right in the centre of London - we try to do our best with the space we've got. We're glad you like Charlie, our resident cat and best staff member, and it's good to hear that our other staff were pleasant and helpful too. If you ever come back to London, it would be our pleasure to accommodate you again.

Very, very nice staff. Rooms were small and hot but okay to sleep in for a night. The hostel itself looks nice and it's close to King's Cross, which comes in handy.

Thanks for leaving us your review. We're sorry that you found the room too hot - our receptionists can control the heating and will be more than happy to help if you let us know it's getting too hot in your room, and we can also open the windows up for you. We're glad you liked the staff and that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future.

I got put-off completely when I entered the 12 bed room that was allocated which was messy. There was a girl sleeping with a guy just under my bed, who dressed up and left. I thought I entered a brothel! My bed was used by someone and messy. Don't get me wrong, but I have stayed in a similar hostel in Frankfurt and it was miles better. In fact I was so put off that I had to forfeit the GBP of 42 that I payed! I did go to the reception and ask for another room but they couldn't.

• 23rd May 2015
  • Portugal

Dear guest, thank you for your time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused on your arrival. It is strictly forbidden to bring any guests to the rooms and there is a charge for doing that. We were not able to allocate you into another room as the hostel was fully booked on that day. We would recommend staying in a smaller dorm or in a private room if you wget more privacy on your next stay. Journeys hostel