Journeys King's Cross Hostel Reviews

54-58 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London, England

Filthy and too many people crammed in the rather smallish rooms. Never going to come back,never going to recommend it. And the water was really hot during the day -as sone else pointed out in their feedback,so unable to wash hair. But when I went to take a shower in the morning the water was freezing cold, it took long minutes for it to warm up.POOR

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Hungary

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comment, it is very important to us. We are located in central area and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we do have to make the most of the little space we have. Shower temperature depends on water usage at the moment and we are working on improving it as soon as possible. We hope you did enjoy your visit to London!

Location is very good. It is only one bad thing that a pay locker.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your comment, we value it a lot. We are in one of the most central areas in London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we do have a small fee for a private security locker. We also have a free storage room which is available prior check-in and during your stay. We hope you enjoyed your visit and you will consider us for your next trip to London!

Overall, the staff are nice and the beds are clean.The disadvantage is that the showers can hardly control temperature and lack eater easily, especially when a grouo of people using them. Also, the electric socket along my and my friends' bedside never work and cannot be repaired, we need to charge in the kitchen. But the location is very close to the King Cross Station and excellent.

The showers were absolutely disgusting, the location was great, the hostel was average.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback, we value it a lot. We have cleaning staff on site for the most time of the day and they do their best in order to keep areas clean. We hope you did enjoy your stay and you will think of us again when you visit London next time!

Rooms are extremely small and get hot pretty fast. Didn't look into the reviews before booking last-minute, so in the end its my fault. I also noticed that King's Cross likes to upcharge for small things such as: leaving a dirty plate in the sink, getting charged for a whole day if not checked out by 10:00 am. While I do understand their reasoning behind the upcharging I noticed that other hostels aren't so sensitive to such matter.

Dear guest, Thank you for your opinion, it lets us improve. We are in one of the most central areas in London and we have to make the most of the little space we have in order to keep prices competitive. We prefer to have control of what is happening in the hostel in order to avoid any problems. We hope you did enjoy your stay!

Everything was fine: bedrooms, kitchen, breakfast, wi-fi, nice staff, etc., I really liked it! The only thing I didn't really like was that when I had to extend my stay (obviously I had to move to another room because of the short notice, but that wasn't the problem), the guy at the reception explained to me that prices vary depending on availability, which I can understand: however, I think 26£ for a bed in a small and crowded 12-bed mixed (read: male) dorm is just too much and not really fair.

Cold showers some mornings

Good location - 1 street away from Kings Cross, cheap-ish prices. Privacy screens, power sockets and lights. Staff are friendly and no cash deposit to pay. Rooms do feel over crowded.

Everything is OK with this hostel except blankets! I had a feeling that my blanket was made of polyethilene, cause it rustled like a plastic bag and I sweated the whole night like a cucumber in a supermarket package! I could never think that blanket can be such an irritating thing, but this hostel really surprised me with that! I felt sorry not to have my sleeping bag.

I was really disappointed when I saw my room...

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Belgium

We are sorry to read we did not meet your expectations, however there are plenty of pictures and details on the web that will give an idea about the rooms and the hostel.

The hostel was shamelessly expensive compared to the cleanliness and to the state of 12 person mixed dorms or the 2 persons' private room. Shared toilets didn't work and the shower was so dirty we coudn't use it. I will definitely not recommend, the worst experience in my life. I don't mind if the premises are not that good but when it's dirty it's bad. This place was.

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Finland

We are sorry you had a bad experience. We have cleaners on duty every day and they try their best to keep the hostel as clean as possible during their working hours. They also cannot be on duty 24h/day so it is up to our guests to try and maintain the hostel as clean as possible.

The rooms are definitively too small, they smell like dust and the windows do not close. Furthermore, the whole hostel lacks in cleanliness, hygiene and friendliness. Value for money= 0. Worst place I have stayed at! DON'T GO THERE!!!!

• 21st Mar 2014

We are sorry to read that you had an unpleasant stay. Our hostel is located in central London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we need to make the most of the little space that we have. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. We would like to have you again staying with us on your next visit to London. Journeys Kings Cross Staff

Atmosphere was slightly lacking, but possibly just because of the time we went. There was one incredibly nice and welcoming male staff member (quite tall and spoke Italian - as well as English, of course) who greeted my friend and I on our arrival, gave us all the information we needed and some great advice about the area and things to do, however the other staff we encountered, for example when checking out the next day were quite cold and unhelpful. Bathrooms and security verging on poor.

Our hostel is located in central London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we need to make the most of the little space that we have. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. JKC Staff.

The hostel was in a convenient location for catching an international train but thats about the only positive. One major negative was the outside courtyard that joined to the kitchen area was a favourite area for smokers and with the door being kept open it resulted in the kitchen and our dorm (room 1) stinking of smoke. Most of the hostel was booked out by an educational group that were very loud untill late at night and took up most of the common areas.

Our hostel is located in central London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we need to make the most of the little space that we have. Our shift managers always try to keep the noise level to a minimum but of course it is up to our guests to be considerate about other guest's rest. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. Journeys Kings Cross Staff

Not the place to go if you want somewhere a little quieter. A lot of noise and people getting drunk later at night. Most other aspects of the hostel were fine though.

We are sorry to read that you had an unpleasant stay. Our night shift manager always tries to keep the noise level to a minimum after a certain hour but of course it is up to our guests to be considerate about other guest's sleep. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. Journeys Kings Cross Staff

very loud, and not even because of the people who were staying in but because of the staff. we had a room downstairs next to reception and we could hear the staff having very loud conversations in the middle of the night, the hoover at 7am and the guy in the kitchen putting his music very loud at 8am while having breakfast. You litteraly hear every single noise in the building as well.

• 20th Feb 2014

Our night shift manager always tries to keep the noise level to a minimum after a certain hour but of course it is up to our guests to be considerate about other guest's sleep. Our hostel is located inside and old historical building, in central London so we cannot avoid all the noise we would like to. We always advise our guests to come to reception and report any problem you might have to our shift managers, they will be happy to make your experience as nice as possible. Journeys Kings Cross

An issue when you have a 17-beds room is that people are almost constantly coming in and out.... so if you plan to sleep, better going somewhere else!

Well placed, lovely staff

• 24th Jan 2014

I was pleasantly surprised here! After believing London is the worst for hostels in the world (And most expensive!) This was cheap and good! Not fantastic but excellent value for money. The beds were a little scary (I was on the third foor) but really good that they had powerpoints and curtains. Very good!

The only bad thing about this hostel was that we couldn't connect the wifi in the room.