Journeys King's Cross Hostel Reviews

54-58 Caledonian Road, Kings Cross, London, England

The dorms are very cramped with very little space to store your luggage, especially in the 12 person dorms. You do get a privacy curtain and your own light/outlets which is a small blessing. Wifi works fine in the rooms. Brekky is basic. People are generally cool. The main issue I have with Journeys is that they have a serious theft problem, at a rate of at least one item (laptop, coats, passports, iPads) per day while I was there and I never saw police called about it. Stay at your own risk.

Hi We advise our customers never to leave valuable items unattended in shared accommodation anywhere in the world. Particularly in a big, expensive city like London, the risk is simply too high. We provide lockers for a nominal fee and a deposit for the key in order to give our customers somewhere safe to leave valuables. When thefts are reported we do help customers to contact the police, although officers will not attend the site unless there is a crime in progress.

Location is good for London tour and staffs are most of time kind. but they need to consider clean bed cover.

Good facilities, staff were very helpful, though no one was at the desk when I needed to check out early in the morning. Each bed has its own light and powerpoint, but neither of mine worked. Also don't recommend the 6 bed dorm on the top floor, we were lucky to just have three in the room, I can't imagine 6 people with 6 bags possibly fitting in that room, especially in summer!

It was surprisingly clean, the room was good, bed was comfortable. It was just super loud at night! I'm a heavy sleeper, but i woke up several times at night, people talking, door opening and closing, it aounded like they we're coming into our room..

the hostel need to be cheaper because the services are not such good

• 5th Nov 2014

Dear guest, thank you for your time to leave a review. We try to keep the prices as low as possible as we are a backpackers hostel. I can see you have stayed in 5 bed dorm which costs around £22.99 per night/per person. Should you wish to pay less for your stay we suggest booking one of the bigger dormitory rooms (twelve to seventeen people) where the price starts at £10.99 per person. We hope to see you again on your next trip to London. Kind regards, Journeys hostel

good apart from getting food stolen!

Unfortunately, my friends Phone disappeared on a mysterious way

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Switzerland
  • All Male Group, 18-24

More lollies at the counter!

Curtains and individual lights were a real bonus in the small 17 bed dorm where the bunks were stacked 3 high, made it more private. Space was a bit tight for your bags, unless you were happy to lock them in the somewhat unpractical luggage room, but no big hassle. Pretty decent hostel all round :)

To begin with, the only lockers provided by the hostel cost you per day...different to every other hostel I've been to. Furthermore, when I decided not to use the locker on the last day and gave the key back, they refused to give me a refund. This is technically illegal as they took money for a service that was never provided (and the cancellation cost them nothing). In addition, the 'breakfast' was frequently understocked and no hot water was available to wash dishes.

Hi Trystan. Thank you for your comment. We are sorry that you have not had a great experience. However we have sorted the problem with hot water and with the breakfast as well. We hope you will consider our hostel on your next stay to London. Have a good day.

Very dirty toilets. You have to pay an extra cost for every facility, such as lockers. which are very small and outside the rooms.

• 15th Aug 2014

Dear guest thank you for your valuable feedback, we are always trying to improve the services and facilities we offer at our hostel. We have different sizes of lockers where you can store anything up to a moderately sized bag, for anything larger than that we offer a luggage room free of charge for our guests until check-out.

The sheets have clearly not been changed before we checked in since there were hairs all over them (and I don't mean 1-2, I mean a lot). The kitchen and the common TV room are in the basement, without decent windows / sources of light and lacking in cleanliness. There is no cosy atmosphere to talk about. The corridors and the room smelled like food and cigarette smoke. Check-out is at 10:00 (vs 11:00 or 12:00 in other places). The area is not nice, but close to the tube.

Our housekeepers should definitely have changed your sheets - let the reception know if problems like this occur and we'll have it fixed in minutes. Smoking indoors in public buildings is also illegal in the UK, so please report any smoking to us right away. We ask guests to leave the premises if they break this law. We're sorry you didn't enjoy our stay and we're always working to improve our services. If you ever stay again, we hope you'll find things better. Thanks for your review.

Although I hate the Showers in this place (barely dripping water, Push Button, Either hot or freezing, And small cubicles to shower/try and get changed in if you're trying not to flash people) and the lack of luggage room in the bigger dorms I stayed here once again Because- The location is excellent. Right in the centre and close to all the main rail stations and Victoria Coach which are easily reachable even on night/ early morning buses. The staff are nice and common area is good.

Hi, we're glad you think our location is good - we think so too, and we're proud of our lively and vibrant common area. We have to make the most of the space we have here in the densely populated centre of London; we think it's worth it for this great location. We're aware that our showers don't have the best pressure and are working on the plumbing. We hope you'll stay with us again and that, by the time you do, we'll have made improvements that you'll like.

The people working in reception were nice and thats about all there is positive to say. floors were gross, atmosphere isn't good, i found it really cramped/over crowded. would only stay again if it was literally just to sleep there and could get a cheap bed. hopefully won't ever need to.

We're really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We try very hard to keep the hostel clean at all times and have cleaners working very hard from 6:30 in the morning every day. It's true we have to make the best of the space we've got here in central London - a consequence of our great location that we feel is worth it. Please let our reception staff know if the atmosphere in the hostel ever goes sour; we're here to help and make sure everyone has a good stay.

Hostel feels very cramped, and toilet facilities aren't sufficient for all staying on the same floor. Though I didn't use the shower, I heard from others who did that it's rathre filthy. Beds rather uncomfortable and would make squeaky noise whenever one moves.

• 30th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Dear guest, thanks for your feedback. we do our utmost to keep on top of it during busy periods and our cleaning staff are on site from 6AM to 10PM trying to keep the Hostel at high standards. However as London is not a spacious place it is a simple fact that to keep costs down for backpackers we MUST make the most of what space we have.

The room was so hot and was told no fans, the room it's self had 6 beds and was TINY barely room to stand. Also no facilities in bathroom for applicances, they provided just 1 hair dryer. The building smelt like food oil and the sheets had been over washed making them squeaky and uncomfortable. Very very basic at most.

• 29th Jul 2014

Dear guest, thank you very much for your feedback we do appreciate and value your opinion. Our hostel is located in central London and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we need to make the most of the little space that we have. We are sorry it smelled like oil , because our guest have the possibility to cook their own food in the kitchen area it can sometimes smell like food during the usual meal times. It is up to our guests however to keep the smell under control.

The hotel was really dirty, furthermore in the showers.

The 5 bed dorm room is the size of a jail cell. The bottom bunk is just off the floor and unless you are on the top bunk there is no room to sit up in your bunk. The rooms here very hot and crowded. Very poor!

• 19th Jul 2014

Dear Trevor, thank you for your comment. Our hostel is located in central London, 1 minute from King's Cross station and in order to keep our prices as low as possible we have to make the most of the space we have available. We hope you enjoyed your trip to London and hope to see you again. Journeys King's Cross Hostel.

Checked in quite late to the hostel and found that someone had their stuff in my assigned bed. I went to tell reception that I would be happy to swap beds, just in case. The receptionist said that that would not be possible, and I had to change the bed sheets on my bed myself as well as the other bed that was free. Was quite scared that someone would be getting in bed with me that night! Breakfast was basic - toast and cereal. Couldn't find the showers. Good location and security. Wifi was poor.

Kitchen space is not big enough, I couldn't find a proper seat, when I had my breakfast. The height of space of bed in the middle layer of the bunk bed was too narrow. I couldn't stretch my back when I sat on my bed then.