KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Fantastic place to stay, easy access to food places, nice and warm.

I really enjoyed my time at this fun hostel. So fun even locals swing by! The staff is incredibly kind and I thank them for everything!

Probably best hostel I have ever stayed in. The bar is really cool, always has live music and is a popular local hang out. Each floor has a kitchen, shower etc. which are all really clean and new. The staff are super friendly and helpful as well!

• 8th Nov 2014

Excellent hostel. Had a fantastic time at Airwaves. Iceland isn't the cheapest place and neither is Kex but the outlay was more than worth it. I had a super time and the staff were welcoming and extremely helpful.

• 6th Nov 2014
  • IamJamieG

The staff should be more present in their communication and their help to guests.

Perfect place to stay

I was extremely impressed with this hostel! I even happened to be sitting next to the woman who helped with interior decorations and design, on my flight back home. She explained to me that every decoration in the hostel has a unique story from the person who originally owned to how it got to the hostel. Everything was super clean and the bar provided for easy mingling with locals and other hostel goers. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful!

Best hostel in the world! Very helpful staff, great atmosphere!

Have stayed in a few in Reykjavik now and definitely my favourite so far. Lobby is beautifully decorated and has a very welcoming and communal feel to it. They hold concerts free of charge and it really says something about the place that locals love it too. Highly recommended hostel. Will be staying here again when I return to Reykjavik.

Bara is the best!!

Communal showers were a shock but otherwise a great hostel and the bar downstairs is an absolute winner!

Great location, extremely close to downtown, major city attractions, and supermarket. Staff cleaned the rooms, bathrooms, and kitchen daily. Lockers are available in the room and you get a key from Kex for a 1000 krona deposit. Kitchen was fully equipped and there were more than enough fridges to hold everyone's food...plus a few free food shelves that you could take leftover food from. Beds were comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Definitely recommend this hostel!

Amazing view from the restaurant/bar/lounge and the food they serve is very good. Enjoyed my stay very much however one receptionist made me feel like I was nuisance rather than a paying customer with questions

Fabulous hostel with great facilities. Restaurant and bar in the building- often with live music. Really comfortable and spacious rooms. Nice kitchen. Close to everything you need in town and helpful staff who will organise everything for you. Bathrooms were good, but sometimes a bit flooded, although they were cleaned often. Atmosphere could be lacking at times- a little bit hard to meet people unless you were eating/drinking at the bar which can get expensive. Overall very positive experience

Excellent hostel. Well located, good atmosphere, fantastic bar frequented by locals. I gave worst score to the staff. While some members of staff were really helpful and friendly, an Australian receptionist was notably cold, disinterested and unfriendly.

Have stayed at KEX on a few occasions now and would highly recommend to someone looking to stay in Reykjavik. Location is fairly central, near to bars and attractions in the city. The decor is interesting, but the best aspect is the hostel bar which attracts a good crowd, especially on Fridays/Saturdays. 16 bed dorm was quite spacious, but 10 bed dorms are quite cramped. Breakfast is offered for an additional cost and is quite popular, however I don't think it is particularly cheap.

We rated cleanliness average due to the bathrooms. The shower rooms were always wet everywhere, and it is hard to keep something like that clean! The bedrooms were very clean, sheets etc. were all great. Nice enough towels too.

Booked a 10-bed private dorm (for 9 people). Had some contact with the Hostel before the trip but they never mentioned availability. Arrived to find out that the room we had booked was undergoing refurbishment - this clearly would have been known in advance, but we were not told. So the group was split into 2 dorms. I have since realised we were also charged the full amount (for 10 the bed dorm), even though we only got 9 beds in the end.

• 19th Sep 2014

During my stay one private shower was out of service for the 3 days I was there and the private shower on the first floor just dribbles out. C'mon, guys...that's the kind of thing you fix right away with so many people staying there. Staff were very helpful and have good advice/know the city well. Breakfast is overpriced compared to what you can get in the city. I recommend the waffles at the Iceland tourist store...lovely woman making breakfast there.

I had a very enjoyable stay at Kex. I loved the vibe of the bar/restaurant and the decorations throughout the hostel. Staff were very kind and responded helpfully to questions. I really enjoyed my stay here. I hope next time I can enjoy some more of the evening activities, rather than getting to bed early before another day tour around Iceland.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5