KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Poor customer service, they didn't explain the services provided by the hostel and very undifferent atenttion

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Sweden

It would be great for the staff to let you know, upon check in, that (1) you'll need another key with a 1000 isk deposit to use the lockers and that (2) half plugs and the ceiling lights in your room do not work and are (or are not) being fixed. I stayed for 4 days and the lights were never fixed but they knew of the issue. Hm. Had to charge my phone and kindle across the room which made me uncomfortable. Get the breakfast and take lunch/dinner with you.

Sure an interesting stay concerning their ambiance and atmosphere. Their breakfast is super.

Awesome hostel! Only issues were that the outlets near beds didn't work and wifi isn't very strong (probably due to number of people using it). Kitchen was big and good, but very packed fridges (again, a lot of people staying). But overall really cool place and comfortable and clean, will stay again!

Excellent, Very easy, fun place to stay

• 25th Aug 2015

I've been travelling for the last year and this hostel is my favorite of them all. Options galore, but the highlight of the hostel is its large welcoming living room. It is the nicest communal area I have ever seen at a hostel and "excellent" rating doesn't describe it. It's beyond excellent and the perfect place for everything a traveller/backpacker wants out of a travel hub.

Was a great location and had a good atmosphere. The only downside was the loud noise so definitely have earplugs- I was on the 4th floor and could hear the bar downstairs. Also there isn't an elevator so be prepared to cart your things up the stairs. In saying that I liked the location and the staff were super helpful. I would stay again :)

• 24th Aug 2015

Most of the staff was so nice and helpful but there's always that one guy that you wish never to run into at the front desk. I stayed in a large mixed dorm and it was very cramped, it smelled of sweat and feet. The small window we opened wasn't big enough to fill the room with fresh air so it was stuffy. During the weekend they do have live music which resonates through the whole hostel so you will need earplus which sometimes isn't enough.. Breakfast is mediocre so don't bother with it.

A brilliant and unique stay at Kex hostel. Perhaps the most unexpected bonus was the incredible view of Mount Esja from our room. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone wanting to stay somewhere convenient, welcoming and quirky. The bar is a real bonus and easily rivals any of the bars in the centre of Reykjavik. Unfortunately we didn't try the restaurant food but the breakfast was real value for money: I can't recommend this place enough and hope to be back in the future!

The power socket didn't work all 4 days. Wifi at bed was weak. Avoid 16 bed dorm. Otherwise staff were super friendly and the food at the bar was very good.

I was pleasantly surprised with this being my first hostel experience. The location is ideal for exploring Reykjavik. The staff is very helpful with anything. KEX land is a great way to plan daily excursions. You will meet a lot of like-minded travelers, or you can enjoy some alone time. The morning buffet breakfast was a bit over priced for what you receive, but their lunch/dinner menu is very robust and moderately priced. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

The staff was extremely helpful, patient and friendly. The atmosphere in the common area/bar/restaurant was always fun and buzzing with energy. We loved the free concerts put on at the bar and the food- both breakfast and dinner-were delicious! I would highly recommend Kex to anyone traveling to Iceland!

• 16th Aug 2015

Amazing place, great atmosphere. Very highly recommend!!!

I find it odd that they charge extra for linens. I don't know many travelers that travel around with bed sheets and a comforter in their bag. The breakfast was very good although it was an extra 1,500 kronur. The bathroom facilities were not the best and could use some updating. The beds were comfortable enough, though.

This is a fabulous hostel! The common areas are very inviting and it's very easy to meet people. It's also immaculate with is a huge plus! The staff are helpful, but depending on who you talk to, cannot always be the most informative. Most of the time my questions were answered with either yes or no, which as a novice visitor doesn't give you much to go on. Overall, it's a great place and I would stay there again for sure!

I had a great stay at KEX. Staff was friendly, great atmosphere in the common area, everything was clean. The only thing that bothered me was that the air in the dorm was kind of bad-- but I guess that's normal when you share a room with 9 people. Oh and it would be great to have lockers in the rooms. There were lockers in the hallway but I didn't feel safe locking my valuables outside of my room in lockers that seemed easy to crack. Overall, I would definitely stay there again!! :)

• 12th Aug 2015

It's a great place for solo travelers to meet other travelers as well as locals. It was definitely a great part of the trip.

• 12th Aug 2015

KEX hostel is located in a really cool location right next to the harbor and very close to the main street in Reykjavik - Luagevegur. It has an awesome bar and it's very easy to meet new people here. The hostel itself is clean, comfortable and has an awesome vintage decor. The one downside was the fact that I had to pay for a locker and they were not provided in the rooms. This meant that all my valuable were at risk - lucky that Reykjavik is one of the safest cities in the world!

This place was fine. I thought it was very over-priced for what it was. I was on the 4th floor and the bathrooms were gross and smelled like urine - all of them - even after they were "cleaned." The towels on the floor need to be picked up regularly otherwise they get peed on. Kitchen was kind of gross. Never saw a mop clean dorm floor. The bed was OK except incredibly noisy and the pillows are way too flat. All of this would be expected for a much cheaper hostel but not for $65 a night.

Kex was clean, safe, and fun - a great place to stay and to meet fellow travelers.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7