KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Great location (but Reykjavik is so small, it's hard to imagine a bad location for anything). The bar/restaurant is quite cozy, and the best of any hostel I've stayed in. The staff were friendly in helpful and had no problems accommodating me an extra day when Icelandair canceled my flight.

• 16th Jan 2015

Awesome location within Reykavik, literally with a view of the sea and ice-capped mountains from the bar window! Cool vibe and awesome quirky decorations around the place. Corridors a bit barren and besides the bar, not much of a common area to really socialize. Appreciated the kitchen facilities and having loads of bathrooms to choose from. Super comfy beds. Could not STAND the lack of light throughout the hostel, however this seems to be the entire city like this. Still, LOVED our stay here.

It's a good hostel. Good service really close to the downtown The staff is really organised, nice and helpful. Well spent money

• 10th Jan 2015

A good hostel. Beautiful lobby and a nice bar. The kitchen was big. And loaded withe free stuff. The only thing i miss was a place where backpackers could hang out and relax.

A lovely hostel with a lot of cool design ideas. The atmosphere is the best I've experienced at a hostel in a long time. There was a jazz band playing on one of the nights I stayed and the bar is very groovy. The only problem I had was that my bed wasn't ready when I arrived (there were no clean sheets and somebody was sleeping in the bed I was assigned). I would encourage a little more organization there but it worked out fine. The bathrooms could also use a deep clean.

Had a lovely time again... and thanks to the wonderful and helpful staff as well. Met some old friends and made some new ones! :)

Most stylish hostel I've ever stayed in. Great live music. Met a lot of like-minded, spontaneous travelers which made the stay even better.

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Philippines

KEX is totally unique and the hospitality is top-notch. I arrived really late and the staff had already arranged for my transportation from the airport, which was a welcomed convenience after my long journey. The staff member who greeted me was very welcoming and cheerful - even at 2am! Before I went to bed, he even had my excursions booked for me for the next day, as well as my breakfast arranged. I loved the decor - rustic, funky, folk, is how I would describe it.

I had a fabulous stay at Kex in the 16 shared dorm, brilliant atmosphere, super helpful staff and a great location. Would definitely stay there again:)

• 18th Dec 2014

The KEX hostel had a quirky atmosphere and interior design. There's a bar in the hostel and there was always something going on each evening such as a jazz gig. It was clean and was a 5 minute walk from the main street. I met so many people whilst I was there, and there were many activities that could be arranged via the hostel. Would recommend to others :)

Loved KEX! Met the greatest people there. Great environment, everyone was super chill.

KEX is a great, great hostel. My friend and stayed for three days,Thurs-Saturday, and I had never felt so comfortable. The bar/restaurant area om the ground floor is open to all which lets you meet new people at night or simply relax during the day. My 16 person room was still spacious and clean. I can't say enough about the staff, they are such nice people and helped me with tour bookings, local stuff to sight-see, etc. Great experience with KEX.

• 11th Dec 2014

Had a great time in the 16 bed dorm at Kex, great atmosphere. Hostel is well located, although the front door is a bit hidden. Strong wifi works throughout, staff are great at booking tours. There is no real "common room" and a load of laundry is a bit pricey, but otherwise no complaints. Shower at an off-peak time or be prepared for communal showers!

I think KEX may be the ultimate hipster hostel. It is beautifully designed with ironic salvage items but this leads to slight problems in a country with only five hours of daylight when the jam-jar and low-watt industrial lighting makes it too dark even to read a book (as in an old-timey paper book) :/ And I've never known a hostel charge for so much - a bed in a 16-bed dorm is £16 but you have to pay EXTRA for a duvet. And the continental breakfast is £7 (ten bucks) a day extra :O

KEX is a fantastic hostel! Great location (everything I visited in Reykjavik was no more than a 15 minute walk), awesome bar (and not too expensive), helpful staff who help with bookings for excursions, airport transfers, etc. The environment is really great too and there's always something going on. The only downside to this is sometimes it might seem easy to spend all your time in the hostel! Only one negative remark is that the lockers are quite small so you can't fit a suitcase in them.

• 2nd Dec 2014

Reception staff were sarcastic and unhelpful. Did not give any tourist information without us prompting them for help. Didn't advise us that we would not be allowed to use the bar area due to private parties on certain nights and only one receptionist helped yd book things. The others just handed us the phone auto make the reservation. Disappointing because we would go back purely for the location and the cool vibe but that is it.

We really loved staying in this hostel! Small 6 bed dorms, good bathrooms (there are only a couple of privates and the rest are communal, but we never had issues with accessing the privates). Location is excellent, minutes walk from the centre. Bar downstairs is awesome too, many locals hang around there, which must be saying something! Check out their breakkie, might seem expensive at first, but if you compare with other restaurants nearby, it's actually a great value! Well done Kex! :)

Has 2 big kitchens with everything you need including loads of free stuff. Some of the bunk beds were incredibly squeaky which was very annoying but the mattresses were really comfortable. Endless natural hot geyser water and some of the showers had great pressure (others not so much). Never was a queue either. Right by a car rental place and you get a discount for staying at KEX. Around the corner from a 24 hour convenience store and close to a bigger supermarket. Needs more outlets in rooms

Amazing hostel. I've stayed here two times now and will continue to make KEX Hostel my #1 pick for places to stay everytime I go back to Iceland!

• 22nd Nov 2014

Fantastic place to stay, easy access to food places, nice and warm.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4