KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

I had a fabulous stay at Kex in the 16 shared dorm, brilliant atmosphere, super helpful staff and a great location. Would definitely stay there again:)

• 18th Dec 2014

Loved KEX! Met the greatest people there. Great environment, everyone was super chill.

KEX is a great, great hostel. My friend and stayed for three days,Thurs-Saturday, and I had never felt so comfortable. The bar/restaurant area om the ground floor is open to all which lets you meet new people at night or simply relax during the day. My 16 person room was still spacious and clean. I can't say enough about the staff, they are such nice people and helped me with tour bookings, local stuff to sight-see, etc. Great experience with KEX.

• 11th Dec 2014

Had a great time in the 16 bed dorm at Kex, great atmosphere. Hostel is well located, although the front door is a bit hidden. Strong wifi works throughout, staff are great at booking tours. There is no real "common room" and a load of laundry is a bit pricey, but otherwise no complaints. Shower at an off-peak time or be prepared for communal showers!

I think KEX may be the ultimate hipster hostel. It is beautifully designed with ironic salvage items but this leads to slight problems in a country with only five hours of daylight when the jam-jar and low-watt industrial lighting makes it too dark even to read a book (as in an old-timey paper book) :/ And I've never known a hostel charge for so much - a bed in a 16-bed dorm is £16 but you have to pay EXTRA for a duvet. And the continental breakfast is £7 (ten bucks) a day extra :O

KEX is a fantastic hostel! Great location (everything I visited in Reykjavik was no more than a 15 minute walk), awesome bar (and not too expensive), helpful staff who help with bookings for excursions, airport transfers, etc. The environment is really great too and there's always something going on. The only downside to this is sometimes it might seem easy to spend all your time in the hostel! Only one negative remark is that the lockers are quite small so you can't fit a suitcase in them.

• 2nd Dec 2014

Reception staff were sarcastic and unhelpful. Did not give any tourist information without us prompting them for help. Didn't advise us that we would not be allowed to use the bar area due to private parties on certain nights and only one receptionist helped yd book things. The others just handed us the phone auto make the reservation. Disappointing because we would go back purely for the location and the cool vibe but that is it.

We really loved staying in this hostel! Small 6 bed dorms, good bathrooms (there are only a couple of privates and the rest are communal, but we never had issues with accessing the privates). Location is excellent, minutes walk from the centre. Bar downstairs is awesome too, many locals hang around there, which must be saying something! Check out their breakkie, might seem expensive at first, but if you compare with other restaurants nearby, it's actually a great value! Well done Kex! :)

Has 2 big kitchens with everything you need including loads of free stuff. Some of the bunk beds were incredibly squeaky which was very annoying but the mattresses were really comfortable. Endless natural hot geyser water and some of the showers had great pressure (others not so much). Never was a queue either. Right by a car rental place and you get a discount for staying at KEX. Around the corner from a 24 hour convenience store and close to a bigger supermarket. Needs more outlets in rooms

Amazing hostel. I've stayed here two times now and will continue to make KEX Hostel my #1 pick for places to stay everytime I go back to Iceland!

• 22nd Nov 2014

Fantastic place to stay, easy access to food places, nice and warm.

I really enjoyed my time at this fun hostel. So fun even locals swing by! The staff is incredibly kind and I thank them for everything!

Probably best hostel I have ever stayed in. The bar is really cool, always has live music and is a popular local hang out. Each floor has a kitchen, shower etc. which are all really clean and new. The staff are super friendly and helpful as well!

• 8th Nov 2014

Excellent hostel. Had a fantastic time at Airwaves. Iceland isn't the cheapest place and neither is Kex but the outlay was more than worth it. I had a super time and the staff were welcoming and extremely helpful.

• 6th Nov 2014
  • IamJamieG

The staff should be more present in their communication and their help to guests.

Perfect place to stay

I was extremely impressed with this hostel! I even happened to be sitting next to the woman who helped with interior decorations and design, on my flight back home. She explained to me that every decoration in the hostel has a unique story from the person who originally owned to how it got to the hostel. Everything was super clean and the bar provided for easy mingling with locals and other hostel goers. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful!

Best hostel in the world! Very helpful staff, great atmosphere!

Have stayed in a few in Reykjavik now and definitely my favourite so far. Lobby is beautifully decorated and has a very welcoming and communal feel to it. They hold concerts free of charge and it really says something about the place that locals love it too. Highly recommended hostel. Will be staying here again when I return to Reykjavik.

Bara is the best!!