KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

One of the best hostels I've stayed at.

As my for hostel ever, I was pretty happy with KEX hostel, the staff were all really friendly and spoke very clear English. They were helpful in recommending places to go. The bar was pretty well stocked, the food was nice and reasonably priced, the view was lovely and it is very close to the town centre. All in all, very happy.

Facilities here at Kex are quite good... Outlets next to each bed, free lockers with a deposit, and clean rooms. Bathrooms are good, with male/female community bathrooms and a few single user bathrooms. Also, the staff was very helpful and knowledgable. The only slight downside is that breakfast is not include... But having said that, they serve a great, hearty breakfast that will last through the morning. Other things worth noting- linens are not included, but are available for a fee.

• 27th Jul 2015

THE best Hostel I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in many. The atmosphere and social environment were really what sets it apart. It's an especially good sign when locals come to a hostel to hang out at the bar, which was the case at KEX. My only critique is that there is no way to lock the lockers in the rooms; fixing this would not be difficult and would result in more satisfactory security.

Great place to stay in Reykjavik!

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Service is not as friendly or attentive as I had hoped but that is less to do with the hostel and more to do with Icelandic culture in general. The place is in a very convenient location. The hostel is also very good value for the money and I would recommend it. The dinner options are very good. If you happen to catch a day on when they have musicians, it can be very nice. The only thing that you cannot avoid in a six-person room though is people coming in at 2 AM and making a lot of noise.

Absolutely amazing hostel! The location was far better than I had expected, the interior is well designed, and the bar and "restaurant" is excellent. It was clear that locals loved this location — you'd often see locals drinking or eating in the bar / restaurant. The entire hostel is decked out in vintage furnishings. The desk staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Laundry services are available. There are shared bathrooms and private bathrooms, as well as private showers.

Great place to stay, only issue is for those with an irrational fear of gang showers

Bathrooms weren't kept especially clean - perhaps this is down to the guests and not the staff, but it was very common to find a bathroom in quite a state (paper towels all over, hair all over, lots of standing water). The bike was an absolute rip off - 4900 ISK is 2-3 taxi trips around the city center, and the bike was a total piece - the seat post kept falling and twisting and it couldn't be tightened enough. The whole place was super-loud, but earplugs helped. Down comforter way too hot.

• 12th Jul 2015

Well decorated hostel with plenty of couches and good wifi. One thing though: the size of the place and the fact the only social spot is a bar closing at 11 pm makes it somehow hard to socialize. Also, beds are very squeaky and I was expecting better showers for the price paid. Other than that, staff was very nice and helpful.

Have to pay for lockers and cannot use your own padlock. Not enough individual showers, there are group showers if you like to share with 6 other men/women in the same shower. I prefer to have a bathroom to myself

We were only here for layover (got in 2am). We didn't sleep but beds seemed clean & well equipped (pillow, sheets, duvet, towel). Location fantastic; shuttle from airport very easy (pick up from airport &transfer once to smaller shuttle that takes you directly to hostel), 5min to downtown, near water (gorgeous), 24 hr market block away. Staff really nice & helpful -answers questions/emails quickly. Many spots in hostel to chill. Only prob was some bathrooms with no hand soap. Would return tho.

• 12th Jul 2015

I enjoyed my stay at KEX. Fair warning- the door to the hostel is not obvious. Had I not been dropped off by the Gray Line bus, I have a feeling I'd have missed it. However, get inside and it's fantastic, with an interesting decor and good security (key swipes into your floor and room). A good value for your money- especially for a location SO close to city center. My only complaint was the staff, who gave off an air of annoyance any time you asked a question or even when checking in and out.

• 12th Jul 2015

Great hostel, and great place to meet. Ideal for solo travelers and had a fantastic location with a beautiful view of the water. The hostel had a spevial tour expert to help me plan my excursions which was nice but I found the best torus were the ones I found myself. Oh and the hostel had AMAZING food, it's where a lot of local Icelanders went for a meal and a beer. It's hard to find non touristy places to eat in the city so this was convenient and delicious. (Get the fries!!!)

• 9th Jul 2015

A very trendy-hip hostel. Stay in mix bed dorm and the atmosphere was better than I thought. Guests sleep at normal hours. No drunken roommates. And I did not hear any loud party music or any noise. (Sleep on Thursday night).

I had a great stay at KEX. I based myself there and did day drips throughout Iceland. The staff were so helpful with whatever questions I had. The rooms were spacious and the beds comfortable. The communal area downstairs is also open to the public, so it was a great social space to meet fellow travellers and Icelandic folk. I would definitely recommend KEX to anyone and will definitely stay there again if I go back to Iceland!

You have to pay for breakfast which looks decent. We didn't get any sheets and we couldn't find a place to charge our phone. Common area was cool but lots of people were in groups, there weren't any events going on in the hostel. Beds made too much noise and one of my friends just slept on the floor. I would check out another place, next time.

Wow. I loved everything about Kex. Great location, bar, and patio. I had one of the best burgers of my life at this hostel! The beer list is also solid. Kex also plans occasional live music events, which are really fun. Though this hostel is a little pricy, it's worth every penny.

• 6th Jul 2015

Excellent location with a view of the water. Good value. Plenty of restrooms and showers, never had to wait. Loved that I could book my excursion without even leaving the hostel. Staff helpful, helped arrange airport shuttle. Live music in the library is excellent, great atmosphere. Definitely returning, highly recommend.

I've been to hostels in about 32 different countries and I must say this one stands out as my favorite. Fun spot to hang out with both travelers and locals, but also a perfect place to bask in the extra pillowy pillow and blankets when the party finally ends at 9 am. Thoughtfully put together and the details really make this place memorable. Come see for yourself.

• 5th Jul 2015