KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Great hostel with lots going on any day of the week - though you have to pay extra for it, the breakfast is amazing, especially the fresh skyr! Doors to the dorms are pretty loud and creaky and don't expect to have a great night's sleep if you're staying in a dorm on the weekend (Reykjavik night life goes on into the early morning). Staff are helpful and friendly in booking tours and general questions. Good place to meet locals and travelers alike.

• 8th Apr 2014

Amazing place in a great location. Excellent hot dog place across the street, great views and minutes to the bars and restaurants. We loved Cafe Loki's food (up by the church). The wifi didn't work in our room on the 4th floor but besides that, excellent!

The staff were not very friendly at all.They didn´t offer any recommendations or even a map. They seemed annoyed when I asked questions. They´re priority is clearly the onsite restaurant; the hostel comes second. Also, in an 8 bed dorm, there were only 4 lockers, one of which was broken. Unfortunately the hostel tainted my view of the otherwise beautiful country.

Was been there with one of my friend, the room and bed was clean although we took the shared-dorm. They even provide the ear plug for us. What have to improve is the shower room available is only few.

Fabulous breakfast. The showers really need higher edges so the water doesn't flood the room every time.

This is one of the BEST hostels I have ever stayed in. The staff were amazing helpful, anything you needed they would help you get it or book it. The rooms were amazing clean and the live entertainment almost nightly definately made you feel like you were part of the Icelandic crowd. I WILL be staying there again, but this time I'm planning a much longer trip than just 3 days. Highly Recommend staying at the KEX!!!!

Pro: Fancy decoration, I cancelled the last night and got a refund. Contra: bunk beds noisy if you move, more like a hipster community and less a typical Backpacking place, Bar is very expensive for food and drinks.

Overall a great place to stay. The place is really hip, as is the rest of Reykjavik. Definitley would recommend, and go back. Great atmosphere and some live music occasionally. A really laid back vibe all around.

Overall great hostel, but be aware that it's very hipster. (I don't consider myself to be a hipster but I still enjoyed it.) They have a great bar as well, and they occasionally bring in local performers for shows.

I liked the location and the bar is great, but overall think this place is style over substance. A lot more expensive than the HI hostel in Reykjavik and apart from the cool bar and good kitchen, the facilities are quite basic. Also the staff member who checked us in was really unfriendly and didn't give us any advice/map/info about yours etc. Other staff members were more helpful though.

Really liked this hostel, very trendy and great location right in the city centre. The staff are really helpful and friendly. Only criticisms are the breakfast is very overpriced, the showers flood the bathrooms as the shower curtains aren't long enough and they don't mention on hostelworld that you have to pay for your bed linen.

Super nice staff; Atmosphere was perfect and many Icelanders which is nice to see when traveling. Great tour recs and honest about what I could and could not see during my stay (versus trying to push packages). Had some mixups with my bed but they were quickly fixed. Only downsides were the lack of light in our rooms (could get really dark in an already dark city) and if someone cooked in the second floor kitchen, any smoke would spread everywhere bc there were no windows which was overwhelming

• 1st Mar 2014

My friend and I stayed at KEX Hostel for five nights and absolutely loved it! It is very close to the city center, has an awesome view over the water and mountains and in the bar downstairs is always something going on. Meeting travelers from all over the world becomes very easy. We will certainly come back!

• 28th Feb 2014

Beautiful decor and location, it really is a one in a million spot. We had an amazing time there, great location, lovely private room with lots of nice areas to chill and read books. Very cool bar area and a fantastic breakfast, not the cheapest place in the world to stay but compared to hotels in the area im sure it is good value. My only downer from our stay was some of the staff, one or two of them were great but most seemed completely uninterested at helping us or other people staying there

the Internet was down for a third of my stay. As well as the staff giving me misleading/poor information about the city sites.

• 25th Feb 2014

A very good hostel, for its location, the room with view on the sea, the facilities. But the staff was not nice at all, when asking for advice they were not helping at all, and they were very cold. But I recommend the hostel its was very good. The food downstairs was extremely expensive but no more than in the rest of the country.

Nice hostel. Big rooms, good security. Nice bar with plenty going on.

This place was damned good. I stayed with 2 friends and every night it was a great time. We'd start off at the hostel and meet at least 5 or 6 new people. Then we'd leave and be like 10 minutes walk from anything. Will definitely be staying here again if I head back.

• 15th Feb 2014

Ahhh this was a lovely place to stay - comfortable beds and plenty of showers (though the majority of these were communal - I only found one private cubicle on my floor) as well as great places to relax. Beautiful decor and great location - lots of free parking down by the green petrol station to the left of the hostel. There were no ceiling lights in my dorm - individual lights only, and I never worked out whether that was a blessing or a curse. Staff could be a bit indifferent to you...

A great atmosphere, great location, great facilities. Friendly and informative staff, good food and beers

• 12th Feb 2014