KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Awesome hostel! Only issues were that the outlets near beds didn't work and wifi isn't very strong (probably due to number of people using it). Kitchen was big and good, but very packed fridges (again, a lot of people staying). But overall really cool place and comfortable and clean, will stay again!

Was a great location and had a good atmosphere. The only downside was the loud noise so definitely have earplugs- I was on the 4th floor and could hear the bar downstairs. Also there isn't an elevator so be prepared to cart your things up the stairs. In saying that I liked the location and the staff were super helpful. I would stay again :)

• 24th Aug 2015

Most of the staff was so nice and helpful but there's always that one guy that you wish never to run into at the front desk. I stayed in a large mixed dorm and it was very cramped, it smelled of sweat and feet. The small window we opened wasn't big enough to fill the room with fresh air so it was stuffy. During the weekend they do have live music which resonates through the whole hostel so you will need earplus which sometimes isn't enough.. Breakfast is mediocre so don't bother with it.

A brilliant and unique stay at Kex hostel. Perhaps the most unexpected bonus was the incredible view of Mount Esja from our room. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone wanting to stay somewhere convenient, welcoming and quirky. The bar is a real bonus and easily rivals any of the bars in the centre of Reykjavik. Unfortunately we didn't try the restaurant food but the breakfast was real value for money: I can't recommend this place enough and hope to be back in the future!

The power socket didn't work all 4 days. Wifi at bed was weak. Avoid 16 bed dorm. Otherwise staff were super friendly and the food at the bar was very good.

I was pleasantly surprised with this being my first hostel experience. The location is ideal for exploring Reykjavik. The staff is very helpful with anything. KEX land is a great way to plan daily excursions. You will meet a lot of like-minded travelers, or you can enjoy some alone time. The morning buffet breakfast was a bit over priced for what you receive, but their lunch/dinner menu is very robust and moderately priced. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

The staff was extremely helpful, patient and friendly. The atmosphere in the common area/bar/restaurant was always fun and buzzing with energy. We loved the free concerts put on at the bar and the food- both breakfast and dinner-were delicious! I would highly recommend Kex to anyone traveling to Iceland!

• 16th Aug 2015

Amazing place, great atmosphere. Very highly recommend!!!

I find it odd that they charge extra for linens. I don't know many travelers that travel around with bed sheets and a comforter in their bag. The breakfast was very good although it was an extra 1,500 kronur. The bathroom facilities were not the best and could use some updating. The beds were comfortable enough, though.

I had a great stay at KEX. Staff was friendly, great atmosphere in the common area, everything was clean. The only thing that bothered me was that the air in the dorm was kind of bad-- but I guess that's normal when you share a room with 9 people. Oh and it would be great to have lockers in the rooms. There were lockers in the hallway but I didn't feel safe locking my valuables outside of my room in lockers that seemed easy to crack. Overall, I would definitely stay there again!! :)

• 12th Aug 2015

It's a great place for solo travelers to meet other travelers as well as locals. It was definitely a great part of the trip.

• 12th Aug 2015

KEX hostel is located in a really cool location right next to the harbor and very close to the main street in Reykjavik - Luagevegur. It has an awesome bar and it's very easy to meet new people here. The hostel itself is clean, comfortable and has an awesome vintage decor. The one downside was the fact that I had to pay for a locker and they were not provided in the rooms. This meant that all my valuable were at risk - lucky that Reykjavik is one of the safest cities in the world!

This place was fine. I thought it was very over-priced for what it was. I was on the 4th floor and the bathrooms were gross and smelled like urine - all of them - even after they were "cleaned." The towels on the floor need to be picked up regularly otherwise they get peed on. Kitchen was kind of gross. Never saw a mop clean dorm floor. The bed was OK except incredibly noisy and the pillows are way too flat. All of this would be expected for a much cheaper hostel but not for $65 a night.

Kex was clean, safe, and fun - a great place to stay and to meet fellow travelers.

Would be one of my favourite hostels of all time if it was 25% cheaper. $50 a night for a dorm & you need a sleeping bag? Staff weren't overly friendly or helpful. But the building, bar, dorms, bed & facilities are great. Such a nice place to stay.

The hostel was a very friendly environment and the staff was extremely helpful.

• 7th Aug 2015

this was a mixed bag of really really awesome and really really frustrating. pros- *location is excellent for walking places and right near the main street. *kitchen is well equipped with working stove and oven *lively and fun atomosphere *lockers and swipe cards are excellent security cons- *no ceiling lights in our dorm *no wall outlets working in our dorm *very limited wifi from our level *one washing machine, only open from 4-10 *said washing costs 1000ISK (10$)

We loved our stay at Kex! The place was safe, clean, and a unique atmosphere. The staff was also very helpful and friendly. Everything was within walking distance, including the shops and fitness center. Thanks!

All in all my experience at KEX was nothing short of wonderful. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, keeping the facilities as clean as they could for the amount of traffic that hostel receives. This is not the hostel for a traveler looking for peace and quiet as it is a bustling social scene located right outside of downtown Reyjavik. I made amazing friends staying at KEX. The bar/restaurant located downstairs is one of the best in town.

• 5th Aug 2015

The hostel is very hip, with a restaurant and bar in the building with live music some nights. Location is great, close to the Main Street. Breakfast and bedding is extra. A really big hostel so not great for solo travelers.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7