KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Have stayed in a few in Reykjavik now and definitely my favourite so far. Lobby is beautifully decorated and has a very welcoming and communal feel to it. They hold concerts free of charge and it really says something about the place that locals love it too. Highly recommended hostel. Will be staying here again when I return to Reykjavik.

Bara is the best!!

Communal showers were a shock but otherwise a great hostel and the bar downstairs is an absolute winner!

Great location, extremely close to downtown, major city attractions, and supermarket. Staff cleaned the rooms, bathrooms, and kitchen daily. Lockers are available in the room and you get a key from Kex for a 1000 krona deposit. Kitchen was fully equipped and there were more than enough fridges to hold everyone's food...plus a few free food shelves that you could take leftover food from. Beds were comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Definitely recommend this hostel!

Amazing view from the restaurant/bar/lounge and the food they serve is very good. Enjoyed my stay very much however one receptionist made me feel like I was nuisance rather than a paying customer with questions

Fabulous hostel with great facilities. Restaurant and bar in the building- often with live music. Really comfortable and spacious rooms. Nice kitchen. Close to everything you need in town and helpful staff who will organise everything for you. Bathrooms were good, but sometimes a bit flooded, although they were cleaned often. Atmosphere could be lacking at times- a little bit hard to meet people unless you were eating/drinking at the bar which can get expensive. Overall very positive experience

Excellent hostel. Well located, good atmosphere, fantastic bar frequented by locals. I gave worst score to the staff. While some members of staff were really helpful and friendly, an Australian receptionist was notably cold, disinterested and unfriendly.

Have stayed at KEX on a few occasions now and would highly recommend to someone looking to stay in Reykjavik. Location is fairly central, near to bars and attractions in the city. The decor is interesting, but the best aspect is the hostel bar which attracts a good crowd, especially on Fridays/Saturdays. 16 bed dorm was quite spacious, but 10 bed dorms are quite cramped. Breakfast is offered for an additional cost and is quite popular, however I don't think it is particularly cheap.

We rated cleanliness average due to the bathrooms. The shower rooms were always wet everywhere, and it is hard to keep something like that clean! The bedrooms were very clean, sheets etc. were all great. Nice enough towels too.

Booked a 10-bed private dorm (for 9 people). Had some contact with the Hostel before the trip but they never mentioned availability. Arrived to find out that the room we had booked was undergoing refurbishment - this clearly would have been known in advance, but we were not told. So the group was split into 2 dorms. I have since realised we were also charged the full amount (for 10 the bed dorm), even though we only got 9 beds in the end.

• 19th Sep 2014

During my stay one private shower was out of service for the 3 days I was there and the private shower on the first floor just dribbles out. C'mon, guys...that's the kind of thing you fix right away with so many people staying there. Staff were very helpful and have good advice/know the city well. Breakfast is overpriced compared to what you can get in the city. I recommend the waffles at the Iceland tourist store...lovely woman making breakfast there.

I had a very enjoyable stay at Kex. I loved the vibe of the bar/restaurant and the decorations throughout the hostel. Staff were very kind and responded helpfully to questions. I really enjoyed my stay here. I hope next time I can enjoy some more of the evening activities, rather than getting to bed early before another day tour around Iceland.

The atmosphere here is at the top! The resto-bar-lobby has a great vibe, as the rooms' corridor, with a rather unique deco. The showers are gym like, common, but still clean. The staff was super helpful, up all night, and ready to help. I should not advertise that, but one lady even woke me up in my dorm bed to tell me I was late for my morning bus (to take that for granted!). :-) One night though, a loud karaoke party in the hostel went on all night, until 4 or 5, even after many complaints.

Staff just perfect

Cute decor- though very dark lighting, particularly in the kitchen. I would recommend the cheaper dorm room. I paid extra for a female six person dorm and would have rather been in the bigger one (more space and a table) for less money. The showers were cold and had zero pressure- sometimes they barely trickled. Not sure if that was typical or just bad luck. The bar/patio area was nice and rooms were clean and comfy.

In a pretty central location with easy access to the main street. There is a good atmosphere in the place and it is easy to meet people down at the bar. The staff were always helpful as well.

The bar was a lot better than the hostel, the staff did try to be helpful but a smile would have gone a long way.

Customer service was superb. The management took care of my case seriously and he went above and beyond my expectations. The staff were wonderful and helpful as well....and some of the male workers were quite attractive! ;) I'm happy with this hostel and I would definitely return if I ever get another opportunity to visit Iceland.

The hotel is very nice and original, but it need a good maintenance. I was there three days, during which one of the bathrooms you could not use because the door lock was broken. The drains of the sinks are blocked continuously.... In the kitchen (no windows), three of the six bulbs were burned out. The toaster had the timer broken and the kettle worked sometimes and sometimes not. Cleanlines is very poor. Sometimes in the morning there are basket full of paper of the day before. Definitely a ne

• 30th Aug 2014

Definitely a very trendy hostel - the bar and breakfast room downstairs are cool. stuff was super helpfull and willing to give recommendations etc. even though they had to handle a lot of people at the same time. Bathrooms could be cleaner. Toilet cabins in men's room couldn't be locked on my floor which was quite inconvenient.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6