KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

In a pretty central location with easy access to the main street. There is a good atmosphere in the place and it is easy to meet people down at the bar. The staff were always helpful as well.

The bar was a lot better than the hostel, the staff did try to be helpful but a smile would have gone a long way.

The hotel is very nice and original, but it need a good maintenance. I was there three days, during which one of the bathrooms you could not use because the door lock was broken. The drains of the sinks are blocked continuously.... In the kitchen (no windows), three of the six bulbs were burned out. The toaster had the timer broken and the kettle worked sometimes and sometimes not. Cleanlines is very poor. Sometimes in the morning there are basket full of paper of the day before. Definitely a ne

• 30th Aug 2014

Definitely a very trendy hostel - the bar and breakfast room downstairs are cool. stuff was super helpfull and willing to give recommendations etc. even though they had to handle a lot of people at the same time. Bathrooms could be cleaner. Toilet cabins in men's room couldn't be locked on my floor which was quite inconvenient.

It's a great place, very close to everything else in Reykjavík. The decor is very funny and well cared for. Only missed some more stuff in the kitchen area and the wifi to work in the bar/hall, but this is just minor things compared to this awesome place ;)

I had a good time at KEX. The lockers were tall and skinny, but had plenty of room for jackets and electronics, the wifi speed was acceptable, and the room areas were secured by keycard. The beds were quite comfortable, and the 16-bed dorm was very spacious. Location is great, and walking distance to all the Reykjavik highlights and the city bus terminal. Could use a few more power points. Laundry is finicky and overpriced, but having it there is nice since laundry is hard to find in Reykjavik.

Kex has a wonderful atmosphere and given that all Reykjavik hostels are insanely expensive, I would spend the extra few euros to stay here. Had some trouble with returning to my bed to find cleaning staff had moved all belongings from my bed and another guest was given my bed. (Probably due to me taking the wrong bed since none of the lights in the 16 bed dorm worked). Floors and kitchen could have been a lot cleaner - fridges look like they haven't been cleaned out in months. Overall excellent

The staff were very helpful in helping us arrange and book out day trips, all transfers were arranged for us. While I was staying at the hostel I lost a camera and they were all eager to help me find it which we did in the end. My only negative comment about my stay is with regards to the toilets which could have been cleaned to a higher standard, there were certain things like to toilets brush holders that could have used a wipe over. I would defiantly stay here again. Thank you very much.

• 24th Aug 2014
  • Wales

Aside from the fact that they charge extra for bed sheets (this is a common practice throughout Iceland, however), it is by far the coolest hostel I have stayed at so far. The location is good, and the atmosphere inside is outstanding. The place is really nicely decorated, very hipsterish, with a huge launge always packed with people to hang out with or small, cozy and quiet sofa areas on each floor. The staff were very helpful and the view from the window is amazing. Definetly comming back.

Overall a great hostel and great value for money. Staff generally helpful but notice that not always knowledgeable (depending on the person) about uself info to give out to guests

Hello there, For me a hostel means a place where people sleep. In room 201 it was impossible, as has a club on one side and a pub on the other side. This room should not have been a bedroom for guest. Regards,

Staff are very knowledgeable and friendly, the bar is big and open, and the location is great.

All in all brilliant. A small minus for the showers, but no big deal. Perfectly located very close to the city center. The view from the common areas is so pretty. You are facing the bay with some smsll mountains in the backround. The bar and restaurant in the lobby is also cool and the food is tasty. Go for it. Kex is everything a hostel should be. In a city everyone have to see.

The staff is really awesome! They gave us many good tips. We had a great time there!

Best hostel I´ve ever been in the last 33 years of travelling. Interesting retro style. Wow!

Such a great hostel. Perfect location and lively atmosphere. Theres a 24hr grocery stores very close by and the bar on the main floor was perfecting for meeting ppl from the hostel as well as locals. Bathrooms are kinda icky but liveable. I strongly suggest this one.

This hostel met every qualification, except the most important. Our room was located right next door to the common room which becomes a restaurant/bar at night. With live bands and a noisy patio. Could not sleep. Would never stay here again or recommend. Don't stay here if you want to get a good nights sleep!!

Kex Hostel was a great place to stay. It had most of the usual facilities. The beds were comfy and clean. It's located in a good location. Would highly recommend.

This was a very nice hostel. There were always friendly people at the front desk every time I stopped. It is within walking distance of the bus station (15 minute walk). It sits right on the water with gorgeous views from the inviting lounges. All facilities were clean. A cool place.

I spent five nights at KEX and generally really liked it. Like everyone says, Iceland is expensive and so is the hostel but it's competitively priced. Gorgeous by the water and a very short walk to the Main Street. Great atmosphere but the bar closes at 11 even though staff and friends crowd around it. Made it tough for me to sleep one night because of the noise. I wish I could have just joined in! The rooms are comfy and I like the private showers. Made awesome friends. Fairly social.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6