KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

For the quality of the facilities (and the size of the room), the hostel seemed a bit overpriced. However, the staff was mostly friendly and helpful, and the location was excellent for exploring Reykjavík. The breakfast was delicious with lots of variety. The lockers could have been bigger, I couldn't fit my bigger bag inside one. KEX Köntri and football matches were the best, I have never seen this kind of atmosphere in any hostel before, keep it up!

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Finland

Staff was super nice and helpful. The place has a great atmosphere. Breakfast is extra and booked in advance or the night before. It’s a good spread with fresh bread, meats

• 29th Jun 2014

This is THE hostel of all hostels. It has a vintage vibe to all deco down to the smallest corners. The rooms are spacious and beds are comfortable. Breakfast with fresh breads and loads of goodies. Crowds are young and can be quite noisy at times. But the best part is not the accommodation but the live jazz music nights, better than most other music venues!

what a great hostel !!! i hope i'll stay there again !

• 27th Jun 2014

Very cool hostel!!!!!!!!

Awesome hostel with great ambiance

• 26th Jun 2014

toilets were a bit dirty and kitchen messy, I wasn't spending much time in the hostel anyway, but I had friends staying in another one and you definitely felt more comfortable there. Otherwise ok, staff very friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is very lively. I think it's a good hostel for young people (good prices, trendy style and bar), but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who expected to spend time there relaxing or was picky about cleanliness (sorry!).

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Spain

Atmosphere is really great in there. During my stay I met so many awesome people! And was even able to catch WC games.

• 24th Jun 2014

What a great place to stay! Great location in the city, walkable to anywhere. Amazing atmosphere with a great restaurant/lounge on the main floor. Kitchens to cook your own food if you want. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again!

The atmosphere was really nice as he reception floor is a public restaurant and bar. But the staff wasn't overly friendly (though I get that impression of Icelanders in general compared to most other countries). The bathrooms weren't very clean however, so that was disappointing. As well, the blankets aren't big enough for most regular sized adult, it's like half a blanket... Pretty expensive, but for Iceland it's not outlandish. Everything there is expensive.

With the exception of the beds squeaking and having to change rooms midway through our stay, everything was fine with the hostel until the last morning. We had asked reception if they could book our transfer back to the airport. We were told it was done, yet the next morning we waited downstairs for well over an hour for a transfer which never came. We ended up having to take a taxi which cost 16,000 Kronas (around AUD170) and 2 weeks on, I'm still waiting for an email back from the manager...

• 19th Jun 2014

Nice place to stay.

this place was definitely too high end for me, but I guess it is what you pay for, and Iceland seems to be that up and coming hub anyway... the hostel doubles as a bar so expect it to be packed at night. it's a good thing, you get a view of the locals and it's still quite quiet upstairs. try it out if to want to dish out the cash, it's better to be in the city than be a ten minute walk from the downtown, which is what you'll get if you pay ~5/10 dollars less

• 18th Jun 2014

The public bar is awesome but it would have been good if there were guest specials or a pub crawl to encourage mingling between guests. Overall the hostel is underwhelming, and staff weren't very approachable. Still a good place to stay in the town centre.

• 16th Jun 2014

Athmosphere was amazing! Our dorm was roomy and clean. Breakfast was a bit expensive but still worth of buying. We really enjoyed our stay and warmly recommend to stay at KEX while visiting Reykjavik! :)

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Finland

Iceland is expensive so this hostel is probably the best value for your money in the area. It's a little away from the main area but just a 15 minute walk. Bar is really nice but hostel didn't live up to expectations. Bathrooms were borderline gross and the showers were a large open shower with no privacy. Guest kitchen was also nasty. Guests are supposed to clean after themselves but they still need someone to go check because it was filthy all 4 days. I

Me and my friend ended our week in Iceland here. Fantastic location, decent lockers in the dorm room and blackout curtains are always welcome in June in Iceland! Minor point: the guy who booked is didn't give us a great check in - a little strange I have to say! All the other staff were a credit to the hostel. Price was pretty much the same as everywhere in Iceland (linen is extra if you don't have a sleeping bag). That said, atmosphere was excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

I loved the atmosphere in the common room / bar area, very cool spot to hang out. My room was on the ground floor right next to the common room, though, and it was not the most comfortable place to stay - a bit noisy, and we shared bathrooms with the common room so they were often occupied, not as clean as I would have hoped, and frequently ran out of things like soap and toilet paper. The facilities might have been better on other floors, though. Good location, helpful receptionists.

Awesome hangout, awesome venue, awesome drinks, awesome food. Slightly difficult to meet people in the common area, must depend on hanging out in the room or at the bar. KEX is probably the best overall hostel here.

Thought it was ridiculous that they charged for linen. Good location. Didnt find ppl that friendly overall because of its big size.