KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

I was greeted very warmly by the staff and when I forgot in the kitchen after check out they even came with me to pick it up. Very friendly and helpful! I my luggage could have been stored in a locked facility where not everyone could just walk in... The looked very and well kept but I have time to use it. There was enough space in the room for bags and it was nice that the kept out the light. Breakfast (price is OK) was delicious !

• 5th Jul 2015

simply not enough room to sing the praises of this hostel. Fun & friendly atmosphere, super cool styling, unreal view over the harbour. Staff can help with everything and go out of there way to do so. Awesome bar (and craft ales) food is beyond hostel grub and the breakfast is the best of any hostel worldwide! All the facilities you could want and local shop is only a minute walk, the main strip is also a couple of minutes away it is the perfect location. This is the only option in Reykjavik!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the bar, although the staff could be a bit more cheery. The location is great and although the rooms are small, they are adequate. Check in staff were really friendlyfriendly.

This is such a cute hostel - we loved the decor and the vibe. The live music was also amazing. There was only one shower for quite a few beds and some staff weren't super friendly/helpful but otherwise we would still highly recommend Kex!

This hostel is so hip, full of "cool kids" and hipster types. I was shocked how big the rooms were and the hostel is spacious in general. Very cosy and tame though. I had an issue with a double booking and the nice guy at the front desk handled it with no issues, thank you so much! Friendly staff in general. Beds are confortable and showers are very private. I would totally come here again!!

• 1st Jul 2015
  • heconnell

Kex has a wonderful atmosphere. There's always something going on there. The people, staff and guests, are very friendly. There are always lots of locals hanging out at the restaurant/bar as well and the location is unbeatable. The beds are comfortable, breakfast is great, and you can do laundry cheaper than the laundromat. The kitchens are decent, and my favourite part about the kitchens is that when you leave if you have food left over it goes on the free food shelf so others can use it.

I was unprepared for the pure quirky awesomenss of this hotel's vibe. TheThe guests got noisy om nights, but KEX handed out free ear plugs, so I slept in peace anyway! I only wish there were curtains on the bed.

• 29th Jun 2015

Good location not far from the shore, most central places are easily walkable.

Fantastic view, two minutes to main street, 24h supermarket on the corner. Staff is really helpful! And patient;) Hostel itself and bar are super stylish with cozy coaches and a lot of space. Locals like this place! Also I fond beds pretty comfy. My cosmetic bag was stolen, and guys were very helpful and interested about finding it, I appreciate that! (by the way, it was my fault to leave my bag in shared bathroom). And free food system works well. Just add boiler to 2nd floor kitchen, please:)

It's an awesome hostel, good vibes, amazing food and I got great travel advice here. I'd recommend to anyone!

Amazing hostel - beautifully decorated and the staff are always ready and willing to help with anything you need. Always meet some friendly and interesting people when I stay at Kex!

Fun, big hostel where it's easy to make new friends! However, at the end of my trip, when I needed to catch a GrayLine airport bus which I had bought a ticket for, one of the receptionists sent me to the bus station for the Flybus airport bus. Fortunately, in this instance, they let me on the bus even though I had the wrong ticket, but they had every right to turn me away and then I would have missed my flight.

Great hostel for meeting people. The hostel bar is also a popular hangout for locals so it's busy every night. It can be hard to sleep because of noise but earplugs will fix that easily.

• 23rd Jun 2015

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed super atmosphere and very nice staff

I loved this hostel! it is in a fantastic location (easy walking distance to everything) and has a really cool bar/restaurant/hangout area. The only downside is that it's so busy and bustling in the bar area that it's not as easy to meet people if you're travelling solo (it's almost like going into any city bar by yourself). But if you can handle that then it's great :) The hostel staff are really helpful with booking day trips and activities. I would stay here again for sure!

KEX was a great hostel to stay at for my few days in Reykjavik! I was very pleased with it's location... so close to Hlemmur bus stop and to all the fun downtown spots. Also close to the water, which is beautiful! I very much enjoyed the atmosphere... very hip and a great place to hang out, meet people, and get some drinks. It's a bit noisy so if you're a light sleeper, that may be frustrating. Just make sure you bring a sleeping bag if you don't want to be charged for linens!

• 16th Jun 2015

nice atmosphere, great way to break up beds in a 12 bed dorm so it doesn't feel that big at all. nice location with a beautiful view. Fair value for the money paid. showers were a bit messy but surely because of all the high traffic at night, when people are coming home from tours and all showering at the same time.

Great hostel. Nice bar in the reception area downstairs. Really good location in Reykjavik.. Great stay overall :)

My stay at KEX was all right. Location is good. Staff was okay. Room was rather basic. I would say KEX should pay more attention to cleanliness at common areas like bathrooms and toilets. It was a guest kitchen, which was good, however providing a kettle would be nice. You need to pay extra for breakfast. Breakfast is okay, but similar what you can get in other hostels. You need to pay deposit for key to locker in the room. Overall good, but I believe could be better. Thank you.

The staff were fantastic, uber cool, but really friendly and helpful with everything from where to spend a free morning to what Icelandic music I should check out. Decor and general ambience of the hostel is glorious, the main bar area is lovely and the food is probably the best I've ever eaten in a hostel restaurant. The dorm rooms are fairly standard, some of the bunk beds could maybe do with a bit of WD-40 (a few nocturnal creaks), but otherwise perfect. Will definitely go there again.