KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Great hostel, facilities are perfect for cooking, showering, sleeping. I am a good sleeper with earplugs so the late bar music did not bother me. Bar perfect for.a local beer! Location is great, I like beige close to town but the water as well.

What a fantastic hostel! Very big but with great atmosphere and common areas/kitchens on each floor as well as an excellent restaurant and bar downstairs. Comfortable, secure, loads of clean bathrooms and exceptionally helpful staff. Highly recommended, one of the best that I have stayed at.

This place has an amazing view out into the water and a very cool, hipster vibe. The breakfast is a great deal because Iceland is super expensive, but make sure to sign up and pay the night before because it's cheaper! The only complaint we have is that they don't provide sheets or a blanket... You have to rent those for an extra $8 USD. We just used our travel sheet and towel, but this was the only hostel out of our whole trip that didn't provide those.

The bbedrooms and common rooms were fantastic. Lots of space and a great atmosphere. The only downside to this hostel were dirty, scummy bathrooms and a not so clean kitchen.

Best hostel I've had the pleasure of discovering EVER - safe spacious rooms; comfortably close to Reykjavik's main streets/attractions; incredible breakfast and built-in restaurant; super helpful staff and access to endless tourism information; quirky and homely retro decor which I wish I could have taken home myself; plays host to a thriving music scene and has multiple comfortable/adorable common areas and kitchens. Just generally a traveller's wonderland, I could not get enough.

I thought the staff were quite rude, but the hostel itself was one of the best I have ever stayed in.

The staff was a bit reckless (keep on making crucial mistakes over mistake with our bookings, always seemed lost and unwilling to help, making us feel like lousy tourist always asking stupid question). BUT, Aside from that, it was undeniably the best hostel i've ever been. Stunning, comfortable, splendid view, BEST BREAKFAST EVER (and surprisingly cheap for iceland), amazing kitchen, hot shower. I almost wish i could lived there on a regular basis!

Probably the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Might have been a little more expensive than others (not much though) but just such a great place to stay. Definitely will recommend it to others in future.

I stayed here with 7 of my friends all lads and we had an amazing time. The hostel is one of the best we have ever stayed in and it was very central. While we were at the hostel there was a music festival on and it was fantastic and it was free. I take my hat off to you kex hostel. Its more like a hotel than a hostel.

Out of the three hostels I experienced in Reykjavik, this was by far the best one. A bit hipster but has great vibes whether you're into that or not. There are always people hanging out at the bar and restaurant downstairs as well as in the guest lounges and kitchens. Kitchen and bathroom facilities are great, probably the best I experinced on my 5 week trip. There are large lockers in your room and a luggage storage by the front desk. Most stafff extrememly helpful while one girl was terrible.

Great experience. Hostel well designed and comfortable. Staff at times a little unfriendly but mostly hard working and very helpful.

• 13th Jul 2014

Best hostel I've stayed at so far in my new favourite city. Great bar where the locals actually hang out, amazing view and incredible food! Friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff. Also really well equipped kitchens. Will be back and will recommend :)

This hostel is amazing. The staff are wonderful, the rooms are clean and it is central to everything you need. Kex also has a great bar- where locals and fellow travelers can meet, surrounded by cool vintage decor. Can't wait until I can return to Iceland and the Kex hostel.

Great hostel!

This place was beautiful. Clean rooms, clean (and lovely) common areas and kitchen. I loved the large cafe/bar/hangout room downstairs as well as the free live music. Good breakfast. Nice staff. Really nice and respectful fellow travelers (the people who were out late partying were quiet coming in- not my experience in other hostels!) This place has set the bar high for other hostels.

Great food, music, location. This is my 2nd time here.

This was a fun hostel - saying that it is one of the few bars in Reykjavik that Icelandic people hang out at is true...I had Icelandic people tell me that. Fun atmosphere. Everything was clean, though not the best I've seen. Overall I would highly recommend this hostel. Front desk staff were very, very, very helpful. And I got help from maybe 5 of them and they were all very helpful. I wish there was paid storage space to store bags...they couldn't accommodate this. Overall great hostel!

KEX was a pretty neat place, with a hipster vibe and great burgers Pros: Bar/kitchen, good atmosphere, close to the main shopping street/downtown/waterfront, nicely decorated, plenty of space, big patio to smoke, drink, hang out Cons: It is expensive, you are paying a lot more than most hostels for a shared dorm room and shared bathrooms. Staff varied in helpfulness and friendliness. Bathrooms could have used a more thorough cleaning.

For the quality of the facilities (and the size of the room), the hostel seemed a bit overpriced. However, the staff was mostly friendly and helpful, and the location was excellent for exploring Reykjavík. The breakfast was delicious with lots of variety. The lockers could have been bigger, I couldn't fit my bigger bag inside one. KEX Köntri and football matches were the best, I have never seen this kind of atmosphere in any hostel before, keep it up!

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Finland

Staff was super nice and helpful. The place has a great atmosphere. Breakfast is extra and booked in advance or the night before. It’s a good spread with fresh bread, meats

• 29th Jun 2014