KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

With the exception of the beds squeaking and having to change rooms midway through our stay, everything was fine with the hostel until the last morning. We had asked reception if they could book our transfer back to the airport. We were told it was done, yet the next morning we waited downstairs for well over an hour for a transfer which never came. We ended up having to take a taxi which cost 16,000 Kronas (around AUD170) and 2 weeks on, I'm still waiting for an email back from the manager...

• 19th Jun 2014

Nice place to stay.

this place was definitely too high end for me, but I guess it is what you pay for, and Iceland seems to be that up and coming hub anyway... the hostel doubles as a bar so expect it to be packed at night. it's a good thing, you get a view of the locals and it's still quite quiet upstairs. try it out if to want to dish out the cash, it's better to be in the city than be a ten minute walk from the downtown, which is what you'll get if you pay ~5/10 dollars less

• 18th Jun 2014

The public bar is awesome but it would have been good if there were guest specials or a pub crawl to encourage mingling between guests. Overall the hostel is underwhelming, and staff weren't very approachable. Still a good place to stay in the town centre.

• 16th Jun 2014

Athmosphere was amazing! Our dorm was roomy and clean. Breakfast was a bit expensive but still worth of buying. We really enjoyed our stay and warmly recommend to stay at KEX while visiting Reykjavik! :)

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Finland

Iceland is expensive so this hostel is probably the best value for your money in the area. It's a little away from the main area but just a 15 minute walk. Bar is really nice but hostel didn't live up to expectations. Bathrooms were borderline gross and the showers were a large open shower with no privacy. Guest kitchen was also nasty. Guests are supposed to clean after themselves but they still need someone to go check because it was filthy all 4 days. I

Me and my friend ended our week in Iceland here. Fantastic location, decent lockers in the dorm room and blackout curtains are always welcome in June in Iceland! Minor point: the guy who booked is didn't give us a great check in - a little strange I have to say! All the other staff were a credit to the hostel. Price was pretty much the same as everywhere in Iceland (linen is extra if you don't have a sleeping bag). That said, atmosphere was excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

I loved the atmosphere in the common room / bar area, very cool spot to hang out. My room was on the ground floor right next to the common room, though, and it was not the most comfortable place to stay - a bit noisy, and we shared bathrooms with the common room so they were often occupied, not as clean as I would have hoped, and frequently ran out of things like soap and toilet paper. The facilities might have been better on other floors, though. Good location, helpful receptionists.

Awesome hangout, awesome venue, awesome drinks, awesome food. Slightly difficult to meet people in the common area, must depend on hanging out in the room or at the bar. KEX is probably the best overall hostel here.

Thought it was ridiculous that they charged for linen. Good location. Didnt find ppl that friendly overall because of its big size.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. The bar/common area was chic and had amazing views of the bay, there's an outdoor patio, and it's right in the downtown. Staff was also super helpful! It was also the priciest, but that's a function of being in Iceland.

Kex Hostel was a good experience. It was my first time at a hostel and it was definitely an affordable option but I think I'd prefer a private room in the future. Kex was very trendy and the bar was packed every night. Unfortunately, my room overlooked the outdoor area which was quite loud until the wee hours of the morning. I booked my excursions through Kex and they all went off without a hitch. My only compliant is that the rooms and the bathrooms were not as tidy as I would have hoped.

• 6th Jun 2014

The hostel was great and I would definitely recommend it. The pub attached to it is great, with fantastic decor, nice beers and good atmosphere. The vibe is very Hipster though so maybe avoid if that's not your scene. The bedrooms where very clean and we had a fantastic view. My only complaint is in relation to the shared showers (which where not the cleanest or the most powerful). I would definitely stay again though but next time I'd Bring flip flops.

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Kex is a great concept. I had a good experience of staying in a hostel. The decor was amaz. super clean and safe. If there's anything I could comment on it would be the system of bed occupied. on the first night I stayed,there was a mix-up on the bed I was given, I had do go downstairs in my pyjamas to the front desk to get a bed that wasn't occupied. On another occasion I took 3 trips to reception finally be given a bed that wasn't occupied and that had a duvet/ towel. I would def recommend.

• 5th Jun 2014

I loved this place. It's unlike any other hostel I've been to with FANTASTIC staff and a great vibe. I'm back in November, and I will definitely be staying here. Takk KEX!

• 4th Jun 2014

nice atmosphere. the common area is well decorated (not in a typical way). at night there are some free music. for me I enjoyed a wonderful jazz performance there. the staff there also helped a lot abt the travel information. I would recommend any backpacker to stay in this hostel for its resoanable price and the best environment to meet new fds from all over the world. ps it is near to the supermarket bonus

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Hong Kong

Breakfast was delicious but expensive

• 3rd Jun 2014

I had a great stay at Kex and would definitely recommend it! Perfect location and really great building. The bar area is excellent and the food is great. To improve the rooms I would suggest installing power outlets near each bed or even inside the lockers - I've had this at other hostels and it's really appreciated!

The showers are pretty bad, no elevator but overall, great! The main foyer/bar is very nice/trendy. Wifi works well and there are large individual lockers in the rooms which is nice. No major complaint, would certainly stay again!

Good location, great atmosphere, cool decor,. My only complaint us that the showers were cold each of the three times I tried them, and barely a trickle of water. Not good after a fun day in Iceland!

• 29th May 2014