KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

I had a really fun time at Kex Hostel this February. Like everything in Iceland, the hostel is beautiful with a large communal bar/restaurant area, lobby and kitchens on each floor. There were some bands playing the first night I was there and the staff were very helpful with booking a tour for me and suggesting cheap places to eat out. Despite being a fairly large hostel and busy for Sonar Festival, I never had to wait for a bathroom or shower. Made some great friends here too!

Great hostel!!!

KEX was a great hostel. Came back to it again after the end of our trip. Ended up staying here for 4 out of the 7 nights in Iceland. The bar has a great atmosphere and there is always something going on. The price is pretty good for the location. Walkable to the centre of the city with a great view of the mountains in the morning. Great variety of people staying here as well.

Knowledgeable, friendly staff. If they didn't know the answer to a question they would find it out. The hostel is pretty quiet within the rooms, so that's nice. The bathrooms are clean and large enough. Fridays and Saturdays they will have some live music. The kitchen area is well equipped and the hostel was clean throughout. Fem Aus clerk was really nice and helpful. Nice big locker to keep your large gear in by reception desk. Everything is expensive in Iceland. Sit down meal avg. $24 USD

Essentially nothing wrong with this hostel. It was clean and quiet in the rooms. Good location. Awesome atmosphere. Good internet connection. Even the locals will come in if there's a gig playing. Close to bars and tourist areas. Only thing is the kitchen lacks essential things like a can opener. But this is minor. Will definitely stay here if I ever end up in Iceland again! Thanks!

Easy to meet people and place is right in the center of town from the main strip. a lot of open space to hangout. Don't get freaked out about the bathrooms. There always clean.

• 22nd Jan 2014

This is definitely on of the best hostels I've stayed in. Atmosphere was good, the whole place was clean. Beds were comfy. One thing I would like to say is there is no gym. I know this won't matter for most of you, but Hostelworlds says that they have a gym, but in fact they don't. Just something to know.

The lobby area closes too early.

Good stay at the kex. The bed did squeak every time I got in and out which made me feel bad to wake others up in the middle of the night. The hostel operates in conjunction with a bar that locals visit as well. The bar seemed to close one day early at like 10pm which was odd to me. This hostel does ask if you want a blanket / bath towel for an extra charge but the charge isn't too much. Free wifi is available and works well. Hostel is near bus depot station and major shopping street.

Fantastic hostel! Helpful front desk staff, immaculately clean, amazing other people staying there, and a good location. HIGHLY RECOMMEND>

Great hostel! I particulary loved the atmosphere and the great breakfast. The staff is very helpful too. The place can be noisy, especially on friday and saturday night, be sure to bring earplugs. Beers at the bar are quite expensive, but it's like that everywhere in Iceland...

Kex is very clean and has great security (Each floor has key cards and each room has key cards). There are both private and public showers, good kitchen areas, etc. My major complaint is with the atmosphere/ culture. If you are "hipster" or have ever been accused of being pretentious, this hostel will suit you. If you consider yourself more of a regular bloke then you probably won't enjoy this hostel. This isn't a bad hostel; it's simply inclined to a certain crowd.

A very funky hostel. The breakfast was delicious and the beds very comfy.

Located on the sea, it had excellent views across the bay. The dorm room was spacious, and I was lucky to have a whole 10-bed dorm to myself when I stayed. The kitchen is very large with good facilities. The only annoying thing is that you have to pay significantly extra for a duvet, which I didn't, and was freezing!

The staff can help you book the day tours, very kind and nice. From the hostel, it only takes 5-10mins to all the main points in the city center. But the hostel is a little bit dark, for me, I prefer a light atmosphere.

One of the best hostels I've stayed, very clean, nice location, helpful staff. Good all around!

We arrived on xmas eve, and the xmas buffet at the hostel was ridiculously expensive and limited. Also, the whole hostel was very dark the whole time, and the lights at the bed were not working. It was difficul to see in the lobby and in my room.

Best hostel I've ever stayed in ... expensive but well worth the money considering the facilities that are on site and the view of the sea/mountains!

Great hostel. Amazing cozy atmosphere and they play great music all day. Their restaurant/bar area is also a popular hotspot for locals, so the main room is always buzzing. Room was fine, clean comfortable bed with a lamp. For those complaining about communal showers, there were also 5-6 private bathrooms (with showers) on each floor, so not sure what you're on about!

Fantastic hostel with a great ambience! Loved it!

• 21st Dec 2013