KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

2005 Total Reviews

Phenomenal atmosphere and location. Prices were great, and the food was amazing. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Reykjavik! My encounters with the staff were professional in nature, but they seemed like they didn't care enough to actually be friendly. The rest of the hostel made up for it, though!

• 30th Oct 2015

Great hostel!! Would stay again for sure.

It's fun, it's cheap, and the atmosphere is great.

Fun hostel with a great, funky atmosphere. Loved the hostel bar and lobby. Easy and cheap parking right in front of the hostel.

The hostel is located close to the city center. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean, but not the bathrooms and restrooms. On the first floor there is a bar, where usually local bands give concerts. There are lots of locals in the evenings and it's a good place to sociolize. Value for money - it is probably the best opportunity to stay in Reykjavik for this money. Only minus was the broken stove and dishwasher.

Awesome place to stay in Reykjavik. Great view, great staff and really close to the main street. Bar, although a little pricey, was a great place to hang out. Fun atmosphere most nights and I really liked the patio in the back. Rooms, bathrooms and kitchens were very clean. All in all my friends and I had a great stay. Will 100% stay here next time I visit.

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Kitchen facilities are excellent. Bar is really nice, but no discount for hostel guests or happy hour. Had the worst snorer ever in my room, but can't really blame the hostel for that. :-)!!

A little bit overrated in my opinion. Kitchen was poorly equipped.

Food was great

The staff was really friendly and helpful when we asked for recommendations on where to eat in the city. The decor of the hostel was really cool too, giving the vintage feel. Even though we stayed in the 16 bed dorm, it did not feel cramped at all, as the room was huge and we had plenty of space to put our things. The only downside is that not every bed has access to their personal socket. So we had to place our chargers near to the door, where the sockets were, which was rather inconvenient.

Nice stay, overpriced for what we got, especially compared to others hostels around Iceland. We did not feel like any staff acknowledged our existence, every seemed to overlook us. Ambiance was pleasant, wish there was more "liveliness" at breakfast, maybe turn on a few lights for the morning crowd. Adding a little more light and joy in the morning could open people up more, especially those starting their celand journey at KEX. Also, consider lowing cost of breakfasts... Seemed steep .

• 15th Oct 2015

The location was good, since it was close to the center, but value for money poor. the shower facilities were not very modern and the kitchen is only accessable from your floor. basically after you are checked out, you cant use the kitchen, so i couldnt eat breakfeast after 10 oclock. this is obviously so, bc they want to sell their own breakfeast. wifi connection didnt work on the second day.

Really enjoyed staying at KEX as quirky as we expected & great facilities with friendly staff! thank you

• 14th Oct 2015

Nice hostel, no real complaints. The only thing was that the 4th floor smelled really bad for all four nights we were there. The other floors were fine, just the 4th was bad for some reason.

KEX was a sweet place to stay. Great location, everything you need there, good vibes etc. It's only a short stroll in to the downtown and every tour you need can pick you up at the door. Bathrooms etc are all that you need. The staff helped with everything I needed and the common area/bar is always a good place to be. When I head back I'll be back at KEX.

Great hostel with a good bar and very friendly and helpful staff

A big hostel. Main common room/bar is open to the public and always busy. Smaller guest kitchens and common areas are spread all over and near to dorms which can mean noise later at night. No real drama though. Only 2 mins walk from the main shopping street. Airport transfer bus will drop you to the door. Recommended.

A great hostel with tonnes of character. Very warm and inviting, good food no friendly staff!

Loved every second!

• 9th Oct 2015

Good hostel! Would have loved that they had a better common area since the restaurant in the first floor colses so early. Bathrooms are alright could be better tho. My bed sounded so much i couldnt even move without waking up everyone in the room. But everything else was great so i would recomend this hostel to everyone planning to stay there.

• 7th Oct 2015