KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Have to pay for lockers and cannot use your own padlock. Not enough individual showers, there are group showers if you like to share with 6 other men/women in the same shower. I prefer to have a bathroom to myself

We were only here for layover (got in 2am). We didn't sleep but beds seemed clean & well equipped (pillow, sheets, duvet, towel). Location fantastic; shuttle from airport very easy (pick up from airport &transfer once to smaller shuttle that takes you directly to hostel), 5min to downtown, near water (gorgeous), 24 hr market block away. Staff really nice & helpful -answers questions/emails quickly. Many spots in hostel to chill. Only prob was some bathrooms with no hand soap. Would return tho.

• 12th Jul 2015

I enjoyed my stay at KEX. Fair warning- the door to the hostel is not obvious. Had I not been dropped off by the Gray Line bus, I have a feeling I'd have missed it. However, get inside and it's fantastic, with an interesting decor and good security (key swipes into your floor and room). A good value for your money- especially for a location SO close to city center. My only complaint was the staff, who gave off an air of annoyance any time you asked a question or even when checking in and out.

• 12th Jul 2015

Great hostel, and great place to meet. Ideal for solo travelers and had a fantastic location with a beautiful view of the water. The hostel had a spevial tour expert to help me plan my excursions which was nice but I found the best torus were the ones I found myself. Oh and the hostel had AMAZING food, it's where a lot of local Icelanders went for a meal and a beer. It's hard to find non touristy places to eat in the city so this was convenient and delicious. (Get the fries!!!)

• 9th Jul 2015

A very trendy-hip hostel. Stay in mix bed dorm and the atmosphere was better than I thought. Guests sleep at normal hours. No drunken roommates. And I did not hear any loud party music or any noise. (Sleep on Thursday night).

I had a great stay at KEX. I based myself there and did day drips throughout Iceland. The staff were so helpful with whatever questions I had. The rooms were spacious and the beds comfortable. The communal area downstairs is also open to the public, so it was a great social space to meet fellow travellers and Icelandic folk. I would definitely recommend KEX to anyone and will definitely stay there again if I go back to Iceland!

You have to pay for breakfast which looks decent. We didn't get any sheets and we couldn't find a place to charge our phone. Common area was cool but lots of people were in groups, there weren't any events going on in the hostel. Beds made too much noise and one of my friends just slept on the floor. I would check out another place, next time.

Wow. I loved everything about Kex. Great location, bar, and patio. I had one of the best burgers of my life at this hostel! The beer list is also solid. Kex also plans occasional live music events, which are really fun. Though this hostel is a little pricy, it's worth every penny.

• 6th Jul 2015

Excellent location with a view of the water. Good value. Plenty of restrooms and showers, never had to wait. Loved that I could book my excursion without even leaving the hostel. Staff helpful, helped arrange airport shuttle. Live music in the library is excellent, great atmosphere. Definitely returning, highly recommend.

I've been to hostels in about 32 different countries and I must say this one stands out as my favorite. Fun spot to hang out with both travelers and locals, but also a perfect place to bask in the extra pillowy pillow and blankets when the party finally ends at 9 am. Thoughtfully put together and the details really make this place memorable. Come see for yourself.

• 5th Jul 2015

I was greeted very warmly by the staff and when I forgot in the kitchen after check out they even came with me to pick it up. Very friendly and helpful! I my luggage could have been stored in a locked facility where not everyone could just walk in... The looked very and well kept but I have time to use it. There was enough space in the room for bags and it was nice that the kept out the light. Breakfast (price is OK) was delicious !

• 5th Jul 2015

simply not enough room to sing the praises of this hostel. Fun & friendly atmosphere, super cool styling, unreal view over the harbour. Staff can help with everything and go out of there way to do so. Awesome bar (and craft ales) food is beyond hostel grub and the breakfast is the best of any hostel worldwide! All the facilities you could want and local shop is only a minute walk, the main strip is also a couple of minutes away it is the perfect location. This is the only option in Reykjavik!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the bar, although the staff could be a bit more cheery. The location is great and although the rooms are small, they are adequate. Check in staff were really friendlyfriendly.

This is such a cute hostel - we loved the decor and the vibe. The live music was also amazing. There was only one shower for quite a few beds and some staff weren't super friendly/helpful but otherwise we would still highly recommend Kex!

This hostel is so hip, full of "cool kids" and hipster types. I was shocked how big the rooms were and the hostel is spacious in general. Very cosy and tame though. I had an issue with a double booking and the nice guy at the front desk handled it with no issues, thank you so much! Friendly staff in general. Beds are confortable and showers are very private. I would totally come here again!!

• 1st Jul 2015
  • heconnell

Kex has a wonderful atmosphere. There's always something going on there. The people, staff and guests, are very friendly. There are always lots of locals hanging out at the restaurant/bar as well and the location is unbeatable. The beds are comfortable, breakfast is great, and you can do laundry cheaper than the laundromat. The kitchens are decent, and my favourite part about the kitchens is that when you leave if you have food left over it goes on the free food shelf so others can use it.

I was unprepared for the pure quirky awesomenss of this hotel's vibe. TheThe guests got noisy om nights, but KEX handed out free ear plugs, so I slept in peace anyway! I only wish there were curtains on the bed.

• 29th Jun 2015

Good location not far from the shore, most central places are easily walkable.

Fantastic view, two minutes to main street, 24h supermarket on the corner. Staff is really helpful! And patient;) Hostel itself and bar are super stylish with cozy coaches and a lot of space. Locals like this place! Also I fond beds pretty comfy. My cosmetic bag was stolen, and guys were very helpful and interested about finding it, I appreciate that! (by the way, it was my fault to leave my bag in shared bathroom). And free food system works well. Just add boiler to 2nd floor kitchen, please:)

It's an awesome hostel, good vibes, amazing food and I got great travel advice here. I'd recommend to anyone!