KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

This hostel is one of the best I've stayed in overall. It's not dirt cheap (but it's Iceland, so nothing is), but they have comfortable beds, kitchens if you want to cook, awesome food at the restaurant if you don't. Don't believe your Lonely Planet, the restaurant food is great! Bathrooms are clean and the hostel generally has a really good atmosphere. Heads up - every bed has a light but not an outlet which was my only complaint. I'd definitely stay here again.

The place is really cool, but the prices are high. The is true everywhere in Iceland. The staff is good, but there are some that you just are afraid to make questions :/

A great hostel, but it would have been an amazing one if as much attention had been paid to the (pretty minging) showers as had been paid to the bar. Also, the bar staff were pretty naff, although the actual hostel staff were complete sweethearts.

• 20th May 2014

Much credit to the staff, they were very flexible and responsive to my constant emails as they didn't even charge us for our missed first night and even gave us a free upgrade for the next night. Environment has very cool flair, including a bar and capacious lounge area that had us mingling with people there instead of going out. And breakfast was worth the extra fee.

Kex had a cool vibe for sure with all it's vintage decorations and things. Room was clean and overall sufficient. Communal shower situation freaked me out a little but there were private showers available. Breakfast costs money and is fairly expensive for what it is.

Huge place. Nice lobby/bar. Small rooms and lockers not made for backpacks. Good information about trips. The breakfast is not worth the extra fee.

Far and wide one of the best hostels I have stayed in. KEX strives to make the bar accessible to the locals too so you'll get to meet lots of locals at their bar as well as travellers. Location is also amazing with a great view and very central.

Great hostel. The decor is unique and cool and I met the most incredible people. Some Icelanders hang out in the hostel bar, so you barely need to walk out your dorm door if you're having a lazy night. Reykjavik and KEX brought in a really interesting group of travelers and it was an amazing experience.

• 8th May 2014

Nothing overwhelming about this hostel, but there aren't too many options in Reykjavik. Generally an older crowd with an odd mix of folks at the hostel's restaurant. The rooms and facilities were clean which is the most important thing to me.

Excellent ambience, where the travellers can mingle and meet one another. Good location, good view. Value for money. You have your own lockers as well, remember to bring your own lock! A few things to take note is that you have to pay quite a bit for laundry and breakfast. Other than that, its an awesome value for money hostel to stay at.

• 7th May 2014
  • Singapore

Super cool place, always things going on but never in a distracting way. Had an environment conducive to meeting fantastic people. Great staff- front desk people were always knowledgable and other staff was awesome. Loved Philipp!

Kex offers a great variety of different tours for a lot cheaper than it would be by booking elsewhere. Location is great and its a very safe hostel.

• 29th Apr 2014
  • Finland

KEX is a cool hostel with a very friendly atmosphere. Everything was really clean and the design was super artsy. The bar area is a great place to hang out with other travelers, and even Icelanders hang out and have dinner there (they have great food!). One thing - if you are a light sleeper, sleep on an upper floor because they often have bands playing on the main floor.

A place where hipster are welcome, very well designed and warm. There is a restaurant/pub inside and a lot of rooms. It has a nice terrace outside. The room was clean and furnished with a lot of interesting and vintage gadgets. The common kitchen was fantastic. You'll never run out of showers ot bathrooms. Highly recommended.

*Almost* everything was perfect. My room was located right above the patio of the pub and I was often woken up around 2 or 3 AM by loud drunk voices. I think this is a bit too late into the night. Sometimes it was apparently the bar staff so I think they should really set down some rules about it. Other than this one thing, everything was superb! I will definitely stay here if I happen to be in Reykjavik again, and also definitely recommend it to anyone else.

The place was amazing however they seem to have a lot of events here (concerts). Which is pretty amazing in itself as a lot of locals come to them, however I had a headache and the music was too loud for me to sleep.

Wonderful hostel: STAY HERE! I was in 16 bed dorm and made amazing friends, enjoyed great facilities and overall had an excellent time. There was a creepy guy hanging around who wasn't staying there though, and no locker (all keys had been taken) in my room so security could be improved. But overall, best hostel ever!

Super stylish hostel, one of the most impressive decorations.

Kex was a very nice hostel. So far, I think it's the best one I've stayed at. The atmosphere was very nice, and it was kind of an artsy place. The view from out the common area window was a terrific view of Mt. Esja! The downside is there was not much space in the refrigerator and not many can openers for when you're cooking.

Good hostel just a few steps from the City Center. They ve got a good range for breakfast and a really nice bar with a good mix between locals and tourists, sometimes they ve got live Music as well. I would stay there again.