KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

KEX is amazing, quirky and super trendy, the staff are really helpful and it only takes minutes to walk to the Main Street. All the tour companies will pick you up from outside the building. The food served in the bar is excellent and it is a really nice place to have a few before you head out. They do breakfast for £7 ish and it is a great selection, cheaper if you book the night before! Would recommend this place whole heartedly!!

• 18th Dec 2013

I was incredibly pleased with my stay at KEX. The only thing that threw me off was the fact that sheets and a blanket cost extra - I had not before encountered that. Other than that, the stay was above and beyond what I could have imagined.

• 15th Dec 2013

Best hostel ever, I actually like this place better than my own home haha stay here! And if you can get a deal or can afford the breakfast it's definitely worth it.

This is a quirky hostel in the centre of downtown Reykjavik. I imagine the atmosphere must get better in summer months as it was virtually empty during my stay. I was disappointed that I had to try 3-5 shower units each morning to find one with warm water, and having to pay an extra fee for linen was surprising. That being said, this is one of the better hostels I have stayed in on my travels and the staff were generally very helpful.

Really cool looking hostel, could do with fixing/ changing things eg. more then one light in the room should work in the room, being able to have a hot shower after being out all night chasing the northern lights would have been nice (we tried all different times and only ever had a warm shower) the kitchen was nice but the only place to meet people with out going to their bar our room was next to the kitchen and was quite noisy. I stayed on the 4th floor and my key opened the 3rd floor as well

Great atmosphere and great vibe! I imagine it would be more fun in summer as winter is pretty quiet in Iceland in comparison. Would definitely stay here gain, great hostel!

great atmosphere, great facilities and great location, I defintely recommend this hostel

I can only say good things about this hostel. The people working the desk were always polite and helpful. Despite being a huge building, the place was very clean and I could see people were always washing the hallway/bathrooms. The vibe was super chill and made me want to stay in and just read, write, sip drinks, and eat. The design that was put into this hostel was greatly appreciated. The little things made a big difference (the reading in the bathroom, the "feel free to feel free" sign). Takk

This was hands down one of the best hostels i have ever stayed in. I arrived in the middle of the night and was given my own room! To top it off I was walked to my room, got assistance with my luggage and he came in and turned on my heater :). When travelling it truly are the little things that make your trip! I would recommend this hostel to anyone! (welcoming to all ages)

The place itself is lovely, comfortable, and a good place to rest your head, but the Individuals that worked at KEX were absolutely wonderful. They really went above and beyond expectations and really made the trip special. Not to mention they were knowledgeable about what's going on in Reykjavik and were exceptionally helpful with any problem. I cannot recommend KEX enough.

• 29th Nov 2013

The beds were very comfortable and everything was clean, location was great and very convenient. While the decor of the place was very cool, it was sometimes at the cost of function - for example the vintage shower heads didn't make for a very good shower, and the whole place was quite dimly lit (my room had no lighting apart from small lamps on beds). Also wasn't fan of the communal showers. Overall a nice place though.

Great hostel a few blocks from the center of town. Staff was incredibly helpful with tour booking and any general information requests. Hostel bar & restaurant is good and is very popular with locals, but sometimes can be annoying when it gets super busy. Overall, a safe, friendly, fun hostel that I highly recommend!

Alright, not much character as its more of a bar/restaurant than a hostel, but good, clean facilities...

My friend and I stayed in a 16 person dorm and had an excellent stay. Beds and bathrooms were clean. We slept well with good heating and warm duvets (extra). Def bring a sleep mask and earplugs. In a pricey city, the breakfast (also extra $) was a good deal. This is the best decorated, poshest hostel I've stayed at. Thumbs up to live music and common spaces. Staff spoke great English and was mostly helpful, although we experienced a bit of cold shoulder from the morning crew...but heh. mornings.

The bar has a good atmosphere, but it is shared with the public so meeting other travellers there is not so easy. The kitchens end up being the place to meet people, as almost everyone will be cooking cos eating out is so expensive. The local staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful, but the Scottish guy (forgot his name) was really good and gave lots of helpful information.

I was very impressed with this hostel! The communal kitchen was great and the bar/restaurant on site was awesome! It was a little noisy at night but they will give you free ear plugs (-; Beds were comfortable, bathrooms clean! Easy to meet other travelers and to set up day trips.

• 21st Nov 2013

One of the best hostels I've ever been too. It was so clean and had an incredible atmosphere

The best place to stay in town! Super location, great food and drinks. Even the locals use the bar and restaurant. Also, very knowledgeable staff and travel help. Thanks!

Great hostel. A little erry at first but the bar really opens up at night when the locals start coming in. The place is super clean and comfortable with kitchen and gathering area on each floor. Super easy to meet travelers and locals. Loved it!!

the best place I ever stay, fantastic atmosphere(the pub, 2 live concert in 4 days,cheer Iceland football team with local people,i'm so sorry you can't go to Brasil!!), friendly staff and wonderfull people meet there to share trip and thoughts. excellent is not enough!

• 14th Nov 2013