KEX Hostel Reviews

Skúlagata 28, Reykjavik, Iceland

Overall a great hostel and great value for money. Staff generally helpful but notice that not always knowledgeable (depending on the person) about uself info to give out to guests

Hello there, For me a hostel means a place where people sleep. In room 201 it was impossible, as has a club on one side and a pub on the other side. This room should not have been a bedroom for guest. Regards,

Staff are very knowledgeable and friendly, the bar is big and open, and the location is great.

All in all brilliant. A small minus for the showers, but no big deal. Perfectly located very close to the city center. The view from the common areas is so pretty. You are facing the bay with some smsll mountains in the backround. The bar and restaurant in the lobby is also cool and the food is tasty. Go for it. Kex is everything a hostel should be. In a city everyone have to see.

The staff is really awesome! They gave us many good tips. We had a great time there!

Best hostel I´ve ever been in the last 33 years of travelling. Interesting retro style. Wow!

Such a great hostel. Perfect location and lively atmosphere. Theres a 24hr grocery stores very close by and the bar on the main floor was perfecting for meeting ppl from the hostel as well as locals. Bathrooms are kinda icky but liveable. I strongly suggest this one.

This hostel met every qualification, except the most important. Our room was located right next door to the common room which becomes a restaurant/bar at night. With live bands and a noisy patio. Could not sleep. Would never stay here again or recommend. Don't stay here if you want to get a good nights sleep!!

Kex Hostel was a great place to stay. It had most of the usual facilities. The beds were comfy and clean. It's located in a good location. Would highly recommend.

This was a very nice hostel. There were always friendly people at the front desk every time I stopped. It is within walking distance of the bus station (15 minute walk). It sits right on the water with gorgeous views from the inviting lounges. All facilities were clean. A cool place.

I spent five nights at KEX and generally really liked it. Like everyone says, Iceland is expensive and so is the hostel but it's competitively priced. Gorgeous by the water and a very short walk to the Main Street. Great atmosphere but the bar closes at 11 even though staff and friends crowd around it. Made it tough for me to sleep one night because of the noise. I wish I could have just joined in! The rooms are comfy and I like the private showers. Made awesome friends. Fairly social.

I enjoyed staying at the hostel - they had very convenient services such as arranging transportation and and from the airport and free luggage storage. I thought the staff could have been more friendly and the general atmosphere was kind of stale. It's great for a quick trip but if I went back to Reykjavik I think I would consider a different option before returning.

• 7th Aug 2014

Best things about Kex ~excellent location, practically on the town's doorstep

Great hostel, facilities are perfect for cooking, showering, sleeping. I am a good sleeper with earplugs so the late bar music did not bother me. Bar perfect for.a local beer! Location is great, I like beige close to town but the water as well.

What a fantastic hostel! Very big but with great atmosphere and common areas/kitchens on each floor as well as an excellent restaurant and bar downstairs. Comfortable, secure, loads of clean bathrooms and exceptionally helpful staff. Highly recommended, one of the best that I have stayed at.

This place has an amazing view out into the water and a very cool, hipster vibe. The breakfast is a great deal because Iceland is super expensive, but make sure to sign up and pay the night before because it's cheaper! The only complaint we have is that they don't provide sheets or a blanket... You have to rent those for an extra $8 USD. We just used our travel sheet and towel, but this was the only hostel out of our whole trip that didn't provide those.

The bbedrooms and common rooms were fantastic. Lots of space and a great atmosphere. The only downside to this hostel were dirty, scummy bathrooms and a not so clean kitchen.

Best hostel I've had the pleasure of discovering EVER - safe spacious rooms; comfortably close to Reykjavik's main streets/attractions; incredible breakfast and built-in restaurant; super helpful staff and access to endless tourism information; quirky and homely retro decor which I wish I could have taken home myself; plays host to a thriving music scene and has multiple comfortable/adorable common areas and kitchens. Just generally a traveller's wonderland, I could not get enough.

I thought the staff were quite rude, but the hostel itself was one of the best I have ever stayed in.

The staff was a bit reckless (keep on making crucial mistakes over mistake with our bookings, always seemed lost and unwilling to help, making us feel like lousy tourist always asking stupid question). BUT, Aside from that, it was undeniably the best hostel i've ever been. Stunning, comfortable, splendid view, BEST BREAKFAST EVER (and surprisingly cheap for iceland), amazing kitchen, hot shower. I almost wish i could lived there on a regular basis!